Houzz Logo Print
karenchee

Floors too red

Ka ren
hace 7 años
I have jarrah engineered floating floorboards in the house and I find it just too red. Any tips on how to mute the colour? Should I paint the end wall (was thinking a deep grey), or is it possible to stain the floor a different colour? I would love a deep almost black brown or a light lime wash.

Comentarios (59)

• cloudpants
    hace 7 años
    Agree with painting wall grey and replacing rug. Art as a distraction is also a good idea.
  • suzineedsahouse
    hace 7 años

Leave the floorboards. Learn to love them. If you do anything to them you will regret it every. single. day.

• Conversaciones relacionadas

SORTEO CERRADO: Gana un vale de 100€ con Secretos de India

Q

(54) comentarios
    Nuestro nuevo hogar es una extensión de mí mismo, pero también de mi esposo, así que tenemos que encontrar un estilo que ambos se sientan cómodos pulg Me encanta todo lo indio, habiendo estado allí y escrito un libro acerca de él (Noventa Noventa y seis) Plantas y cargas de luz. Le encantan las líneas blancas y limpias, una silla cómoda. Estamos renovando una casa antigua en Alcalá a retirarse a. Creo firmemente que la decoración afecta el estado de felicidad de uno. He vivido en más de 40 lugares. Dejé mi último lugar porque estaba demasiado oscuro y me entristeció. Echo de menos tener un jardín, pero este lugar tiene una terraza en la azotea. Our new home is an extension of myself, but also of my husband, so we have to find a style that we both feel comfortable in. I love all things Indian, having been there and written a book about it (Nineteen Ninety Six), plants and loads of light. He loves white, clean lines, a single comfy chair. We are renovating an old townhouse in Alcala to retire to. I firmly believe that decoration affects one's state of happiness. I have lived in over 40 places. I left my last place because it was too dark and made me sad. I miss having a garden, but this place has a roof terrace.
    ...Ver más

SORTEO CERRADO: Gana una alfombra Duna de Gan

Q

(242) comentarios
    Enhorabuena Carme, eres la ganadora de una fantástica alfombra Duna de Gan. ¡Muchas gracias a todos por participar!
    ...Ver más

Vivienda de 20 M2 - ayuda distribucion

Q

(67) comentarios
    Para las escaleras empinadas quizás se pueda meter un peldaño intermedio en cada tabica a modo de escalera de samba o balanceo. Son ideales para espacios pequeños porque en poco espacio se sube gran altura y sería muy fácil reconvertirla. Pero necesito tener las medidas para ver si es posible la modificación. Debajo justo el almacenaje de cocina que sitúo justo dónde ahora está el pasillo, con lo que podría mirarse si puede aprovecharse la bajante de la cocina existente en la planta superior. Se ahorraría mucho gasto innecesario.
    ...Ver más

help with a couple kitchen remodeling items needed

Q

(1) comentarios
    Apologies: here's the second item - I am having a hard time with the Houzz app for some reason (once I began adding photos it was hard to further edit my post). Anyways, item #2: does anyone have any lighting ideas for this room? The easy solution is adding recessed lights (this kitchen is on the second floor and adding lights from above shouldn't be too hard with access from attic). I thought about adding maybe 3 or so pendant lights through the middle of the room (at short lengths) could be cool, but not sure how that would look/feel (Kohler Lighting 22653-PE01-BNL Artifacts 5" Wide Mini | Build.com) I think these would give off a strong amount of light (I have used similar lights from the same Kohler line in other rooms) but may seem odd in the space/not perform as well as recessed lights as far as illumination goes. I am going for somewhat of a traditional look, that has some craftsman/occasional Victorian vibes in my home. Any ideas welcome - thanks.
    ...Ver más
  • Fiona
    hace 7 años
    As it's an engineered floor I doubt that you would be able to do anything about the colour, plus it seems like a waste of jarrah. There's a really big tonal difference between the floor and the walls. Going darker side a good idea as it will reduce the difference. Go and grab a big range of paint chips, push the boundaries of the colours you are thinking, like going a few shades darker and any out there colours which grab your fancy. Get a roll of painters masking tape and stick them up on the wall, some will immediately be wrong and others may surprise you.
  • Ka ren
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you for all the suggestions and advice! Yes I realise doing anything to jarrah would be frowned upon by most, but I really cannot see myself loving it... Anyway, I'll try all the other less drastic ideas first and see how I go! Thanks again everyone :)
  • how2girl
    hace 7 años
    I've got jarrah floorboards & have found that if you can give the eye something else to rest on they are not so overwhelming. Surprisingly darker colours tend to tone down the redness. I've painted a small area of wall in the kitchen a very deep blue (pic 1 below) & I think it lessens the redness. Also black (pic 2) seems to complement & reduce redness as well. The rest of my walls are.....you guessed it, grey (Dulux grey pebble).
  • petapea
    hace 7 años

It feels sacrilege to say this as I have jarrah floors and love them, but if you really hate them Ka ren why not sand them back and stain them Japan Black or something similarly dark (so no red will be visible)? I read that engineered boards are usually between 4-8 mm thick so you have to be careful you don't sand down to plywood! But apparently it can be done (so says a floor sanding professional one one site I just looked at). May be worth looking into what is possible, though I would ask how long you have been living with the existing boards, and if it's not been long maybe give yourself a 'cooling off' period first to see if you might grow to love the colour. All the best!

• petapea
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Ps. In my experience, using warm white rather than cool white lighting can also make a difference- in this pic you can see my boards are quite red directly under the floor lamp but look more chocolately where the light bounces off.

• Ka ren
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you everyone for the photos you've posted... I do love the look of deep dark walls so I'll do that first and hopefully it does calm the red down a bit. Also an excuse to go buy some wonderful eye-catching lights to lift the eye upwards!
  • Ka ren
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I'd love a Japan black or the chocolate, petapea :)
  • girlguides
    hace 7 años
    Lovely kitchen how2girl !!
  • cloudpants
    hace 7 años
    Love your glam kitchen, howtogirl!
  • Vy
    hace 7 años

loved it how2girl..makes mine look so bland ..hubby caught me measuring this morning for a dilemma and his first question was what are you up to? I think seeing me with a measuring tape freaks him out hehehe

• how2girl
    hace 7 años
    Thanks guys, just to clarify the glam black kitchen isn't mine, that's just an example pic from Pinterest. I have the dark blue wall in my kitchen. Intrigued to know what you're planning Vy.
  • Vy
    hace 7 años

how2girl nothing much at the moment as trying to sort out our trip..got a week off work after the holidays..someone in our photography group posted a trip away..weekend away great ocean road to take photos not sure if I want to go..as it's that weekend that we come back then the weekend after I've got a Christmas in July with my recipe group lol

• Vy
    hace 7 años

planning to get Roman blinds for my bedroom sick of my red drapes..too bright and well takes up room when the ducted heating blows it's in the way

• John Henson
    hace 7 años
    Without knowing the brand of floorboard it's hard to know what can be done. If they are good quality(5mm) but not many are, you can sand them. After sanding you maybe able to bleach them. We have bleach plenty of them in Perth as most floors here are jarrah and it looks great. Problem lies in that water is the carrying agent for the bleach and it may effect the ply(check with manufacturers). If they are of a lower quality, there will be very little jarrah in them, it's mostly ply. Maybe look at replacing them with something like spotted gum. Could get expensive though. As for rugs and painting I'll leave that to the designer type people.
  • how2girl
    hace 7 años

@Vy I made Romans for the bedrooms, they're great, I like the uncluttered look, but if you don't have them extending past the window frame you'll get light peeking in each side. To solve that I added side curtains, which I don't pull across, they stop the light on each side problem.

• Vy
    hace 7 años

can't do side curtains as the builder popped our ducted heating vent there silly him so when it's on the drapes gets in the way..I have blinds at our beach house no probs there and yes they need to extend..

• Vy
    hace 7 años

me too just can't remember why I chose drapes lol the rooms needs a re-do as kids are getting older now just costs so much money that I'm having second thoughts about it all ..when we moved in the blinds/drapes costed like 8-10K or something and that's only blinds to 4 bedrooms..they are double layered though..

• Vy
    hace 7 años

• Stacey West
    hace 7 años
    Ka ren, I know this is totally of topic but can I ask where u dining table is from? I love it. Thanks in advance.
  • Jennifer
    hace 7 años
    I had same issue in my last house, I'm not a fan of the jarrah and I had the floors sanded and bleached. It takes the redness out of them. Loved the new look. I white washed them in my daughters room!
    I also like the black floors. I've seen them stained black and they looked fantastic. It's all going to depend on how thick yours are and if you can sand them. If it can be done ..... go for it!
  • Ka ren
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    @Stacey West, that's not my dining table but one the decorator put in for the sales photos, so I don't know where it's from. Sorry..
  • Ka ren
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    @jpfox, good to know someone has done it before! For cost purposes, I'm going to go with the other ideas first (paint walls, artwork, rugs, lighting) but still hang on to the dream of changing the colour :) Could you show photos of the floors you have done, please?
  • dohraime
    hace 7 años

I miss the jarrah floors from my last home. They showed up the dust a lot but their tone was so lovely.

Ka ren, if you're changing or adding lighting, do so before making paint selections. The lighting will affect the colour.

Do you have a sample piece of your flooring? It might be worth while taking one in to lighting stores where you can see how different colour temperatures change the tone of the wood.

• PRO
    Tommy Balogh
    hace 7 años

I agree with what most people have said, the floor is a little dark and reddish right next to all that white cabinetry in the room. If you don't want to change the floorboards (which is very tricky anyway) I would suggest a gentle lime green for the back wall (which will be in harmony with the beautiful dining table that you already have). Changing the rug to something a bit more earthy in colour would also create more harmony in the space, inc a painting that highlights the wall.

Another possibility is painting the walls a particular shade of grey (not too dark), otherwise the space will be too dark. Its careful consideration, and the right accessories that will balance the overall look, the right colours to make areas in your space pop, but also gel and work together.

• melrop
    hace 7 años

I think the problem with the floor is the gloss finish. If the flooring is solid timber, get it resanded and finished in satin or matte. It will make a huge difference to the overall look.

• melrop
    hace 7 años

Sorry, I must have missed that they are floating boards, so you'll need to check if there's enough thickness to do this.

• krc33
    hace 7 años

I understand you having a preference for a deep black brown floor, as this would tie in better with the overall room and white colour.

However, if it is possible, replacing the gloss finish with a matt finish would help with overall appearance.

Another suggestion would be to replace the dining table, chairs and rug. Opting for a darker timber colour and a chunkier piece, would ground the pieces to the area better than existing furniture.

• PRO
    Anna Cottee Designs
    hace 7 años

Hi Ka ren. You really need to get a professional in to advise you as to whether the floors can be sanded and restained a dark chocolate or even black Japan but be wary, the darker floors are high maintenance although so very lovely. I have done this to several clients' homes but it all depends on the thickness of the engineered timber which is covering the substrate underneath. If too thin, it cannot be sanded. Sorry to everyone who likes red jarrah but this colour flooring is my pet peeve and I would go to any length to remove it if possible! Ka ren, it should not cost you anything to get a professional opinion. If you let me know where you live ( if in Sydney) I can put you in touch with my expert flooring people and they can advise you of what can be done. If you have any offcuts of the flooring used somewhere, you can have a look at how thick the top layer of timber is and let them know over the phone and they should be able to tell you immediately if this can be done. If sanding is not possible then by all means change the wall colour, add rugs etc. Be careful to stay away from colours that are complementary to red ( green for example) as they will just make the floors look redder! Also stay away from colours that are next to red on the colour wheel such as orange or yellow. I think a muted warm grey is your best option although I really like the navy wall posted by a houzzer above! a large statement art piece on the end wall and some hanging large pendants are both excellent ideas to distract the eye!

• Ka ren
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks again everyone :) The furniture isn't mine so I will be able to influence the look quite a bit by using different furniture, paint, rugs and artwork. But it's great to know if I wanted to change the colour of the floor, it MAY be possible depending on the thickness of the wood layer :)

• PRO
    Mortar Studios
    hace 7 años

There's a special trick we know from a member of our team in her paint mixing days - if restaining the floors is an option, you actually need a green tint to knock out the red.

It sounds scary, but truly, an obvious green tint in the polyurethane floor finish will neutralise the red tremendously. You can actually get the jarrah closer to a walnut finish with this trick.

Ka ren agradeció a Mortar Studios
  • User
    hace 7 años

That's a trick with makeup too. Concealer with a green tint will cancel out red cheeks.

• Vy
    hace 7 años

Mortar Studios ..you're brilliant ..green and red does make brown

• PRO
    Cottee Constructions
    hace 7 años

Sand the floor back and re coat with a water based flat finish. This will mute the high red gloss finish . Environmentally more friendly and visually softer.

• pat4interiordesign
    hace 7 años
    Your idea to paint the walls is good however also consider some wallpaper
    There some amazing wallpapers coming into the design market with gorgeous textures patterns and effects
    Take your time to get it right
    Also although your floors are a little red they are beautiful it is just the white walls that kind of detract from their beauty
    Have fun take your time as you consider the best effect that works with you and your personality
    After all it is your home
    Pat
  • Fiona
    hace 7 años
    Hi Ka ren,

I'm with you. I just couldn't live with the jarrah floors and I would absolutely get professional advice about sanding them and changing the colour. If I couldn't do that, I'd pull them up and change the flooring ( and sell the jarrah to someone who loves it )
    It's your house, you have to live there and if you don't like them and it's something that will annoy you every day - do something about it. Changing wall colours and furnishings won't change the colour of the floors !!
    Good luck !
  • PRO
    Anna Cottee Designs
    hace 7 años

Well said Fiona!

• nelle_111
    hace 7 años

Hi Ka ren

We chose to stain our floors, it's also a type of engineered base with Jarrah top and it was set with tongue and groove joins so quite tight ( I think). We chose Japan Brown by Feast Watson with a 5% tint and satin finish and love the result. It does show dust quickly and the semi Matt appearance can show scratches but its something we just have to live with now. The best thing is its not freezing underfoot during winter like tiles. The finished product is extremely slippery in socks is another con.

Photos show Jarrah with the stain plus high gloss varnish, the raw stain pre satin finish, finished floors with reddish colouring under sunlight.

Have fun with the process whichever you choose!

Ka ren agradeció a nelle_111
  • Ka ren
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Good to know how you did it Nelle 111 and thanks for the photos. The finished floor looks gorgeous!!

• PRO
    Martina Hayes - Building Design & Interior Design
    hace 7 años
    Hi Ka ren, if you wish to paint the wall in a dark grey, I recommend choosing one with a slight reddish undertone. Otherwise the grey wall will even enhance the red of your unliked red floorboards. Hope this helps. All the best with your project!
    Ka ren agradeció a Martina Hayes - Building Design & Interior Design
  • User
    hace 7 años

Listen to the people telling you that dark floors show every hair and speck of dust. We get heaps of dilemmas across the world on Houzz with people complaining. Medium toned floors don't drive you nuts cleaning.

• Kat
    hace 7 años

For my two cents worth, as others have said, don't touch the floors, work with them!

• alisonxyz
    hace 7 años

We have Jarrah floors too, and I also felt they were too red. I asked a professional floor sander/stainer about getting them stained a dark chocolate colour, and he said don't do it because the stain can sometimes get caught in very tiny tracks left by the sander and leave an uneven, unnatural finish - this doesn't occur when sticking with the natural colour. I have a white kitchen and white walls, and we just purchased a new chevron rug in Black and white. The Black and white really tones down the red, in my opinion. I'm also planing on changing our lounge to a sage/olive green, as I feel this will also help "cool" the red. I also have an acrylic painting on the wall with green and white colours in it, an a lot of leafy house plants, and a some furniture (bar stools etc) in black. I like the floors a lot more now.

Ka ren agradeció a alisonxyz
  • PRO
    Budget Floor Sanding Brisbane
    hace 7 años

Hello,

If your looking for some ideas regarding staining or liming timber floors, take a look at our Budget Floor Sanding Brisbane website for some floor sanding and staining inspiration. Just click on blog and type in "staining timber floors" or "liming timber floors"for some more information. Good luck in finding a solution.

http://budgetfloorsanding.com.au/

• jaydub0
    hace 7 años

Would love to know how you got on with your jarrah floor dilemma Ka ren. What did you end up doing?

• Ka ren
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi jdublya, happy new year and sorry about the late reply! I ended up doing the safe / lazy thing... left the floor untouched and painted a feature wall deep grey, as well as having two-toned grey curtains to both the sliding doors, and a dark grey area rug. The open plan living / dining gets lots of light, so it's still bright even with all the dark greys. We've paired it with mismatched sofas in light grey and brown, and sage green throws. Overall, it's still a "warm" look and not the cool Scandi look I would have preferred, but it's cozy and the greys have really calmed down the red. It's a lot more to my taste now than the show room furniture was.

Bits of the floor finish are coming off though, I think (where the kitchen island stools have been dragged over the years by the past occupant), so in time I will get the opportunity to re-do the floor and it'll no longer be red!

• jaydub0
    hace 7 años

Sounds great Ka ren. Thanks for the update, and happy new year back at you! :-)

• Nellie Sarah
    hace 6 años
    Has anyone in Melbourne got their Jarrah floors bleached? There seems to be people in WA and QLD who can do it but I can't find anyone in Melbourne.

I have 40sqm of Jarrah, following on from a hallway of Baltic Pine. The contrast is too much and I would like to remove the red and lighten the Jarrah
  • Leslee Hogan
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I think the room would look amazing with the feature wall in teal or verdigris. A striking combination

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.