Houzz Logo Print
welz26

Ideas for outdoor patio

welz26
hace 10 años
Any tropical ideas for this room? I prefer live plants instead of artificial. All and any suggestions are welcomed!

Comentarios (41)

• User
    hace 10 años
    Its huge! Well, where to begin...

What do you want to do out there? Sit? Cook? Eat? That would probably help narrow things down.

Do you want to replace the windows?
  • welz26
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We want it to be a place where we can sit and eat with our family and friends.
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

PATIO INGLÉS, AYUDA!!

Q

(8) comentarios
    Hola! Nosotros sin duda nos decantaríamos por la opción 1. En la idea de tener un patio que puedes abrir y ventilar el espacio interior vemos más ventajas, además de poder ser un espacio sugerente. Además según el plano ya hay desagüe así que no hay problemas de evacuación de agua. La estética industrial del tramex nos gusta, no sabemos si es coherente con la de vuestra casa pero nos gusta. Otra opción es eliminar el tramex por lo que haría falta una barandilla o elemento de seguridad pero la sensación en el espacio inferior sería la mejor de las tres opciones. En cuanto a materiales, puedes poner un suelo de matera sintética para exteriores (muy económico) que simula muy bien una madera, utilizar bambúes para las paredes y plantas enredaderas. Además si añades una luz exterior, el patio se convertirá en una lámpara para el espacio del sótano. Saludos! Hulahome Madrid http://www.hulahomemadrid.com
    ...Ver más

Reforma de patio pequeño

Q

(7) comentarios
    Lales, tienes un patio precioso! Vaya suelo fantástico de piedra, y que vista preciosa! Pon macetas. Pon muchas plantas de la zona Sombrea. Coloca unos tensores para que una bugambilia pueda crecer... o un jazmín. Las plantas reducirán la fuerte radiación solar en la piedra oscura, que calienta en exceso el ambiente. Además las plantas se autorregulan térmicamente. Ilumina como hacen los franceses. con varios puntos de luz colgados de los tensores. Y amuebla con sillones o sofás de madera. Nada con un lenguaje demasiado moderno. Qué lugar más bonito!
    ...Ver más

Ideas de decoración y diseño de pequeños patios o terrazas

Q

(4) comentarios
    Hola CARLA : Te he leido con mucha atención y releido con toda. Voy a tardar en reponerme del efecto que me has producido y me he visto reflejado en versión femenina, por algunas de las cosas que dices y que deben ser bromas, casi indescifrables. Por ejemplo, no entiendo lo de comer dulce por la noche y menos aún lo del agua y grasa vieja ¿¿¿??? Por lo demás no puedo sino felicitarte con efusión y celebrar tu entrada en esta plataforma. Tu artículo es elocuente, eficaz, ordenado, bien ilustrado y resulta bonito y divertido. Al unir a lo anterior su funcionalidad, llegas a la EXCELENCIA. Me has proporcionado unos minutos de placer. GRACIAS por ser y estar como eres y estás. Intuyo que aunque tu castellano es perfecto y rico en matices, no eres de España, o no vives en ella. Una pista la dá que hables de centavos y libras. Sólo un fallo: Te has registrado con nº de usuario y no como profesional, pese a que tienes un nombre contundente y taquillero: CARLA MORAN. No es normal que si cada ser humano es único, existan tantas casas iguales o incluso algunas, más iguales que otras. Ser Decoradora de Exteriores, es tener como lugar de actuación, el mundo casi completo. A mi me han preguntado si diseñaba lencería o corsetería. Lo de Gestíón Estética les suena a muchas a operación de aumento de senos. Saludos de ERNESTO, azote de mentalidades lanares, indecisos y poco fieles a los colores, usuarios de "cheslón", partidarios de los taburetes y con el gusto formado a base de estadística, al emplear lo que más se lleva y tratando de ocultar, o no dejar que se aprecie su personalidad.
    ...Ver más

Diseño Patio Trasero

Q

(1) comentarios
    Añado algunas fotos generales
    ...Ver más
  • welz26
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    At this time we don't want to replace the windows...
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 10 años
    The first thing I would do is stain the floor. . Consider blinds for the windows facing the block wall. You will probably want a table and chairs as well as a seating area. A large rug would also add comfort to the area. What to do is all dependent on the budget and what you want to use the room for.

Is there a leak in the roof? I guess that would be the first thing I did. Fix it.

Chevy Chase Screen Porch Addition · Más información

Orangerie · Más información
  • welz26
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    No leaks in the roof....
  • User
    hace 10 años
    What is your USDA grow zone, and do you have any supplemental heat out there? How green is your thumb?
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Which way is south, and better yet, do you know what the temperature is out there an hour before dawn...
  • PRO
    Interior Trends Remodel & Design
    hace 10 años
    This is a great space for gathering. I would paint the brick and the ceilings, something light and neutral and run the same color throughout since the ceilings are so low. I would remove the small counter top mounted to the wall.
    I actually really like the color of the floor, I would leave it and add an indoor/outdoor rug to warm it up. I would also add a large long rectangular dining table, something used/loved and mix it up with all different chairs or a long bench painted tropical colors (corals, teals, etc.). I would also introduce a light fixture over the dining table and if there is no power hang something that will hold lots of candles. I agree with plants. Add "real" plants, just make sure there is room to move about and that guests are not being tickled by plants while dining! Good Luck it looks like a great space.
  • kimedge
    hace 10 años
    wow, what a fabulous area! I saw a restaurant extension like this in new zealand, and they put a small fireplace in one corner so they could use it in winter. Also they put old fashioned signs round the walls, and it was the most comfortable place I've been inside in years.
  • nwduck
    hace 10 años
    Depending on the actual area size, and how many you need to accommodate, I might consider doing something like this: Paint the wall side of the house a happy color. I like the blue in the example above. Add beefier decorative supports for the service shelf, and if it's in good shape, tile the top and edge, or just tile the top and add a more decorative wood painted edge. Use 2 to 3 colors of concrete stain in the tones of the brick to create a mottled look on the floor. If you don't have lighting out there, I'd hang lanterns with battery operated candles.

For furnishing, with flexibility in mind, I might look for two square pedestal tables that could be put together if need be, using bench seating along two sides, and chairs at the ends. The benches could go below the windows when not in dining use, one of the tables could go into a corner with some cushier outdoor seating on each side. Personally, I'd hang inexpensive and easily washable sheers out here just for a little ambiance, and to diffuse the sun a bit. Two big palms in some beautiful ceramic pots that go with the tiling, with two more smaller tropicals at the base of each would do it for plants, I would think.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Love all of nwduck's ideas. If you are in an area where the temperature inside the room won't drop below freezing you have a multitude of plants to consider. Visit your local nursery and note which plants appeal to you, then read up on their care needs. Use pots that fit in with you decorating style. Colorful and varied shapes or all one color and shape. I love to use roll around "dollies" so the plants can be moved to clean around them or re-arranged easily. :)
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    We not choose a all natural stone patio table. All the mosaic Dining tables set you can discover on this page are top of the range mosaics of natural stones (marble, persian travertine, slate...). Imagine the mixing of those beautiful materials with precision for an incredible and incomparable result with some simple terra-cotta. Let in the excellence within your homes environment.

http://www.livingroc.net/9-garden-patio
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    We not choose a all natural stone patio table. All the mosaic Dining tables set you can discover on this page are top of the range mosaics of natural stones (marble, persian travertine, slate...). Imagine the mixing of those beautiful materials with precision for an incredible and incomparable result with some simple terra-cotta. Let in the excellence within your homes environment.

http://www.livingroc.net/9-garden-patio
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Stucco the block wall outside. Polish the concrete floor.
  • Sherrill Evans
    hace 9 años
    long sectionals bright cushions,, palm trees all shapes and sizes,,, philodendrons,,, ferns,,, hibiscus,,,, such a great entertaining space,,, maybe even a food prep and serv place small fridge,, cabinet with counter top corner for entertaining,,, table on a rug that matches the long sectionals,, with nice cushions,,
  • Jane
    hace 9 años
    Depending on your location, a flowering vine (passion vines are beautiful and flower all summer) would be wonderful on the wall. Sheer drapes would be another option to soften the view of the retaining wall. Teak (or teak like) love seat and chairs with white or cream cushions. Lots of pillows that double as footstools (if you are budget minded they are an easy project) go wild with patterns and shapes. Add a table and chairs and you will be ready for summer!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 9 años
    what other than plants do you plan to do in this space? what is the a joining room?
  • PRO
    Urban Design South
    hace 9 años
    Is there a budget in mind? I would start there! Once that is established then you can prioritize which areas are more important aesthetically. For example, the cost of polishing the floors, vs. new travertine floors. Sheers on the windows, vs. plantation shutters, hedge in front of the block wall or bamboo fencing. Etc. You can be very creative with simple and affordable finishes and spend the most in the furnishings. Or vice, versa. Hiring a professional Landscape Architect, Architect and or Interior Designer is always a great alternative!
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    DH Design
    hace 9 años
    Paint will make a big difference but especially on the ceiling..a light color will visually raise it, maybe a light sky blue. Woven woods on the windows will give it that tropical feel you want and allow you to raise and lower them as needed for privacy and sun control. I would break up the area to include a dining space and a relaxing area. Maybe a picnic style table and benches. That bar under the window could be removed and an old surfboard used in its place as an eating/serving area. Paint a rug onto the concrete floor for a bit of whimsy and easy maintenance. Be sure to add lots of color with cushions and accessories and have fun.
  • skyval
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Dear homeowner ... " Your " idea is what you should do - go tropical . Here's what I'd do ...
    Keep all your wonderful rustic wood ceiling and clay block walls natural , the way they are .....
    Stain the floor a golden brown or terracotta or even easier , just paint it that color .
    Paint the stucco wall a rich cream/ivory color that will glow warm in the sunlight .
    Get big , 6'foot tall , cheap-$9-12 palm trees at Home Depot , they're almost always available and beautiful !
    They add instant island happiness . And ... cheap ,pretty baskets to put them in .
    And , any other tropical plants you see that would feel pretty to you ... banana trees are really cool .
    The previously mentioned passion fruit vine is a great idea . Put it in a corner and run two inexpensive, $12-$15 wooden trellisses from Home Depot or wherever you find them , up the wall and across the ceiling so it can start it's journey . Mine grew 30 feet across my wooden ceiling in one year ! I had to twine it back into itself because my room wasn't big enough for it's wildness ! It was so gorgeous .
    A coconut/sisal rug , either real or synthetic for homey and casual comfort ..... some furniture you like , bamboo , wicker , faded distressed wood or anything beachy that makes you feel happy .
    Then , put affordable split bamboo window blinds on your windows and Voila ... instant tropics !!!! ...for very little money .
  • leelee
    hace 9 años
    Over a year old.
  • PRO
    Applesteam Limited
    hace 9 años
    We would mimic a garden, with pathways, astro turf lawns and patio area with outdoor table and chairs. a water feature running through it as a stream or waterfall. The main wall I would either have a mural painted or paper mural applied mimicking a garden. indoor plants into a landscaped surrounding.
  • meadowyck
    hace 9 años
    I would suggest looking into adding curtains the outside kind all around the windows, next there are some wonderful concrete acid stains, (painting is a pain as you will have to keep painting all the time) for the floor. Depending on your taste in furniture, ex: if you like bamboo, start looking around for that type, if you are on a budget, go to yardsales, used furniture stores. There are some great options and with a little elbow grease you can restore for not a lot of money. Add new cushions, if you sew make your cushions and drapery to match. Plants, for your area of the country. If you could post what area of the country and designs you like it will make it easier for folks to make a comment.
  • mdcathy
    hace 9 años
    Getting tropicals at Walmart and/or Home Depot is a great idea--inexpensive if you do need to replace them each year. Treat the area like an indoor room---I would definitely suggest updating the counter and putting a few nice barstools there. There are lovely rattan seating that would suit your wish for tropical look. A table in the corner with banquet seating would be nice. Don't forget to add plants outside your room, too. And a nice water feature would add to the feel of the tropics. I would do an indoor/outdoor carpet----might want to pick that out first and decorate around the colors in it. Walmart actually has some lovely ones for this year.
  • Delora Dickey
    hace 9 años
    Perhaps using tropical-patterned cushions/pillows with the furniture you will use. I would suggest sofa-table-high planters of varying lengths/sizes. This will allow ease of watering, transplanting, and changing out for the seasons (spring flowers, asters for fall, poinsettias for Christmas, etc.). Adding flowers around a centerpiece of a tropical plant will provide ongoing interest in the room. Look for unusual containers (an old orange crate - lined - with legs), or cover traditional planters with moss or coconut fibers. Staining concrete is a task, but with beautiful results. A massive indoor/outdoor area rug could easily be used, as well.
  • Cynthia Celenza
    hace 9 años
    I would tile the floor for easy upkeep
  • PRO
    Monica Perrone Landscape Architecture
    hace 9 años
    I define tropical plants as those having large, architectural leaves that can also help a space to feel lush. Great "tropical" plants for pots in this space might include Sago Palm, Philodendron/Elephant Ears, Cast Iron Plant, Asparagus Fern, Variegated Spider Plant and Creeping Fig to cover the foundation bricks when it emerges from the pot. You can control the Creeping Fig at window edges with scissors. All of your pots should be at least 18" in diameter and bigger is better. Consider utilizing Jardinier Corp's reservoirs as a tidy and efficient method for watering. Fully understand this product line before selecting your pots. Keep an eye on all of your plant material so that it doesn't languish and make the space feel icky or stale. Consider moving the pots outside on a occasional mild, sunny day and give them a bath and a good soaking. You might also incorporate Citrus in this space, moving the pots indoors for the winter and treat the space like an orangerie. Of course your style direction and desires for production come into play too.
  • elean13
    hace 9 años
    I love the photo posted by Dar Eckert (see below) - the room in the photo looks cheerful and cozy. Great idea.

Personally, I would paint the ceiling, the brick and wall of the room white to make it look more roomy. I would add a rug, colourful sitting area and wooden dining table with outdoor chairs, maybe in teal colour and a couple of big plants in the corners.

http://houzz.com/photos/1524120

I also love Diane Haynie's idea for using an old surfboard as a bar. It would be lovely to add 2 bar stools, as well, to be able to use the bar for casual dining.
  • Kelly Adams
    hace 9 años
    Here's what we did in our patio room. I used an outdoor table and chairs on three sides. The fourth side I opted for home reserve custom sectional to fit the width of the room. You can find it on homereserve.com. The fabric comes off and can be washed. There is also storage under the benches. We put small speakers in two of them for music. We put bracers on the walls to hang plants. Plus, we added shelves for small plants, a tv and even a video game system for the kids. There is also a small sitting area. We put a ceiling fan to help move the air when it is hot outside. Also added some lanterns and place led puck lights in them at night. It is a great comfy space. We opted for and outdoor rug then botanical area rug on top. We have three sliding patio doors and one smaller man door in the area. We used curtains that we could open and close for privacy and light control.
  • xgaelic
    hace 9 años

We have a similar area, but it has screens. We are in Florida. We have a pool table. A seating area at one end with bench and chair seating and a table that can be extended to 10 from 4 (Ikea). Also a small seating area, 2 chairs flanking a small table.

• Cintia Avila
    hace 9 años
    I would add some natural fiber screen but first I would add bamboos outside to improve the view. You have a big enough place to make different sitting areas
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años

I don't know if anyone suggested a good option - sewing curtains from drop cloths.

Modern Summer House · Más información

Maison particulière, Portugal · Más información

• margiehannah
    hace 9 años

Definitely use a patterned indoor outdoor rug to add warmth and get a feeling of comfort.

• Sharron Fry
    hace 9 años

I would use plant troughs both inside in front of window and outside against the block wall. If it will grow a small variety of clumping bamboo against the outside wall and Sansivieria or philodendrons dotted with colourful Bromeliads in front of the window. I would prefer dark furniture for tropical look, replace the bar top with a Bamboo ply perhaps, or even use lengths of decking timber to cover the back wall or create a timber feature.

Vertical planting · Más información

Add colour to soft furnishings with bright greens, oranges, yellows or aqua blue. Soften edges with white sheer curtains and add Potted Kentia palms in interesting stone planters. I think the floor would look better natural than painted so polishing it to reveal the indivdual stones sounds great. Don't forget a little LED uplighting.

Contemporary Exterior · Más información

Totally depends on the budget.

• msbeazy
    hace 9 años

I think some Ivy would do well out there with all the extra sunlight a few hanging baskets also some ceramic tile for the floors,some bright colors like orange yellows lime greens something that will pop !

• whistlerhouse
    hace 9 años
    Is this a space under an upper deck. Is the kitchen, cooking area on the same level as this space? Are you in a lower floor apartment? Not sure what to say without this info.
  • PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    hace 9 años

If you are interested in the idea of a mural as Applesteam Limited suggested, we have a mural material that is resistant to sunlight, extreme temperatures, and humidity. Please feel free to browse around our profile and website for ideas and info!

The material is called stretch ceiling, and it is fantastic for ceilings, but it works just as well for walls!

A Taste of Tropical · Más información

Trees on Translucent Backlit Stretch Ceiling · Más información

Faux Oculus with Translucent Stretch Ceiling · Más información

Rendering of Youth Room with Laqfoil Wall & Ceiling Murals · Más información

• justafan
    hace 9 años
    I would put a white curtain across the enitre window span. Also make it cozy. How great would it be to sit in that room when its pouring rain outside under a blanket listening to that :)
  • Cindy Martin
    hace 9 años
    You have a wonderful space. Open, airy, just use imagination.
    Curtains rods and curtains could be a huge expense. Someone mentioned paint drop cloths, an excellent idea. Using electrical conduit cut to fit and picking up brackets to hang up works fine and very inexpensive. That can get you the privacy you would want at a good price.

Check out consignment shops for your furniture. Have fun and keep us updated.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.