Houzz Logo Print
shiplsl1

Wall of windows

shiplsl1
hace 10 años
I have eight windows across the back of the living room. I also have six windows in my foyer. All windows are seven foot high and about 2.5 ft. Wide. Not sure what I should as far as window treatments, especially for extra protection against the winter cold. I have attached pics, but coyld not get the entire sets of windows. Help! Ideas are more than welcome. Regards, Susan

Comentarios (67)

• PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Hi Susan. You have a beautiful home. Another idea to consider are plantation shutters. I've used them on my own home and absolutely love the privacy they afford me (tight urban location) and the amount of natural light they allow to penetrate into the interior of my home. You can have them manufactured out of any species of wood and should be able to match the trim and valance in your living area. I purchased mine from a vendor I found on eBay and they were remarkably affordable. Shutters for doors look something like this:

http://www.plantation-windowshutters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/French-Door-Shutters.jpg

Good luck with your project.

Mark Shuler
  • Belle La Vue
    hace 10 años
    I agree with the comment above that if you are planning on raising and lowering shades every day that many windows will be a real pain. I have shades in my son's room and hate them. They are difficult to raise and lower so many days the shades stay down... a dark cave :( . I have seen "thermal sheers" that could be closed at night and opened during the day, which would not add any heaviness to the window and I think be pretty easy to manage. I think plantation shutters are nice too but for that many windows cha ching $$$$$
  • Belle La Vue
    hace 10 años
    Some pics...

Living Room 5 · Más información

Transitional Family Room · Más información

Family Space · Más información
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    Wonderful view and nice room!. I think I would use sheers or semi sheers. Love the natural light. I would like the spacious feeling that you already have. It is about your preference for view or insulation options. This would not help for insulation much, but does slightly make some difference.

Sheer panels will soften the feeling of the room with all the beautiful wood frames, flooring and mantle. I would use a motorized unit that will separate from the center of the total window space. The center window will be divided, but don't visually have a problem there.

Covering these windows will be somewhat pricey anyway. I would get estimates for traverse rod drapes or motorized drapes to make your decision. A motorized unit will be the easiest and simplest to adjust how much open window you would like.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I vote for cottony sheers, which will let in the light and you don't have to open and close them every day. Plus they softly filter the light without blocking it completely.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    I love cordless roman shades and Country Curtains has some thermal ones I like.
  • yoboseiyo
    hace 10 años
    those are GORGEOUS windows!

if you like the idea of panels on the edges, but don't think they'd give the privacy you want, you could frost the glass. at 2.5' wide, a standard window film would work well, as they're 3' wide.

they're actually pretty easy to install, and in my experience, they don't look bad.
  • lepstein
    hace 10 años
    Window film will not let you ever look at the full colour view. The S blinds can be put on remote for ease of opening and closing (mine are not and I don't find opening and closing a problem). They close into a 2" spot at the top and virtually disappear (no need for a false valance. Plantation shutters will have the same problem as drapes - when open, they will take up a good part of your window.

Glenn: My trims are painted white, but I would leave these as is as that is part of their attraction.
  • PRO
    Decor Team
    hace 10 años
    There are special thermal fabrics that help keep the heat in. I would have custom drapes made and lined with thermal fabric. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
  • analogg
    hace 10 años
    Surprisingly, I like the pic with the bamboo shades. Could you live with clear plastic over the windows in the winter?
  • ellyn143
    hace 10 años
    I've had Hunter Douglas Silhouette Shades in my past two homes and love them! I agree with several of the posts above however that it's a hassle to raise and lover shades of any type (Roman, pleated, etc) everyday on so many windows. Hunter Douglas Shades do come with a remote control option that allows you to raise and lower the shades with the push of a button. It's a pricey add-on option but well worth it in the long-run if that's the look you like.
  • PRO
    D John Design
    hace 10 años
    I like the idea of doing long panels, there are so many choices of pre made curtains and even custom curtains are affordable. Blinds tend to be clunky and expensive. The other advantage of curtains is that it makes your ceilings look taller when you hang them up high. The panels do not need to be attached..and can just cover the wood mullions.
  • yvonne_pinckney
    hace 10 años
    I love your windows! I want them in my dream house after I hit the lottery. Beautiful!
  • Robin W
    hace 10 años
    I have the same challenge. I am planning to install lined roman shades as shown on the cover of Elle decor.
  • wallacegal
    hace 10 años
    @Yvonne_pinckney...are you in Michigan? It's the only Pinckney I know.

No one has mentioned what I did with my floor to ceiling windows. When we built, I wanted lots of wood so all of my windows are trimmed in oak and the windows are oak as well. I didn't want to cover all that gorgeous wood, so I bought Everwood blinds by Hunter-Douglas in oak .

http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products-detail.jsp?id=19

I never raise them unless I open the windows and except for the bedroom and bath, I don't close the blinds either, but they're easy to close, compliment the wood of the windows and the trim, do help with insulation when it's horrid cold out and they're gorgeous. Easy to clean, I just Swiffer them. They're an alternative I thought I'd toss out there. Your windows and the surrounding wood are just beautiful. It would be a shame to cover any of that.
  • oddduck25
    hace 10 años
    It looks like you have plenty of privacy. A film professionally applied to the windows may help with keeping the heat in. Not sure how much of that great view you're willing to block but we have a similar setup in our master bedroom with the windows under a vaulted ceiling. I intend to install a ceiling-mount curtain rod. You could do a single with insulated curtains, or a double to have sheers and curtains. It could traverse all from one side, or from both sides.It would be a lot of fabric, but I think it could also add quite a bit of personality.

I like the idea of the shades, too. Since you have so many windows, I'd spring for the remote-controlled ones. They may not block too much of the window if you mount them at the very top of the wall.
  • PRO
    Vida Flora Design
    hace 10 años
    Have you considered panel track blinds? Picture standard vertical blinds that used to be common on sliding doors, except MUCH wider. You control the width of each panel and can extend the track past the window so the stack back keeps windows exposed. I used this method on a very large set of sliders and windows in a south-facing master bedroom, using solar shade material. This preserved the view, provided lots of sun protection, and some privacy as well. You can choose any fabric from rattan to drapery fabric to solar shade material, based on your decorating style and other parameters. They look much more modern than the old style (wider the better) and are easy to open fully or just partially.

My current home also has a wall of windows and sliders--all south facing. The house came with honeycomb shades (not my favorite--get dusty and are hard to clean). I've placed a very long, very low bench (toddler stool height) in front of some of the windows, and have added some large plants in boldly colored pots. This filters the view and only makes it necessary raise and lower a few of the shades at night. The plants provide enough of a filter for the other window to allow those shades to stay up all the time.

Since your trim is dark and heavy, the aforementioned method would also work with some hanging plants above the bench to lift the view higher into the room and away from the molding, which makes the room feel smaller and lower.

Good luck!
  • Patti McNab
    hace 10 años
    We have similar windows but we need privacy so after many failed choices ( waste of money :(
    I went with my first option of 3 in wide california shutters -absolutely love them:)

At first I felt they were too expensive but if I had of just installed them first - would have saved myself alot of money and sleepless nights trying to figure out the "right" window treatment
    Our floor to ceiling windows are in every room across the front of our bungalow- living room - office and our master bedroom.
    The windows are commercial grade with a tint that people cannot see in -
    In The Day but at night we were a fishbowl...
    I had them made so the the top 1/3 open and closes independently from the bottom 2/3
    but usually we keep the living room open all the time.
    They are great insulators, as I live in Canada where it can get pretty cold...
    I also love the look from the street as they all "match."

Good luck and look forward to seeing what you choose :)
  • Patti McNab
    hace 10 años
    a better picture of the shutters :)
  • 1340aster
    hace 10 años
    Have you considered installing Rollshutters on the outside. It would be a shame to lose the clean look of the wood trim on the inside and clutter it up. True, window fabrics can warm up the inside, but a rollshutter mounted on the outside can be controlled from the inside with a remote or wall switch. You can control it as you need. These will give great heat rejection in the summer, extra R 2.5 - 3.0 in the winter, full room darkening, and security. This is all I have for window coverings in my home. One large motorized shutter on the master b/rm with a switch by the bed, and smaller manual crank rod shutters on the kid's bedrooms. For more information go to www.courtenayglass.com and go to the TALIUS link or page.
  • Angela
    hace 10 años
    So we have similar windows. They We have a 17 foot glass window you have to cover for insulation. Go to Home Depot ask for gas piping and flanges. You can clean and spray paint or just clean and use as is. Use krud cleaner they sell it there. We got velvety curtains from ikea best prices around for that many curtains. Get rings from their too. I will attach a picture so you can see. The rings allow for the curtains to be all the way open to enjoy the view.
  • sholes77
    hace 10 años
    Marvin Windows just introduced Shades, they are retrofitable on certain products including casements, awnings, and stationary panels. Not sure if that is what you have but you can see more at www.marvin.com/shades
  • Karen Hartlen
    hace 10 años
    Those are gorgeous windows. If you are not concerned about privacy, you can actually have a company install UV protective window film...it protects your furniture and flooring from 99% of UV light and also offers energy savings. You could paint out the wall to open up the view, versus the dark ?wood that is there now. However, I agree with many here, the Silhouette Roman Shades are outstanding.
  • Diane G
    hace 10 años
    I have the same wall of windows with stained door frames, in my townhome. . West sun ruined my furniture/rug when house next to me was torn down and set way back on the lot. I finally got sheer ivory long curtains and love them. I did it the cheapest way I could, because we plan to put an awning outside, eventually. In the meantime, they easily slide open and closed on tension curtain rods...horrors. The diff was thousands vs. Couple of hundred.
  • karenbz
    hace 10 años
    plantation shutters would be awesome! hunter Douglas
  • PRO
    Karlene Hunter Baum, Allied ASID
    hace 10 años
    I can see why you feel challenged by your windows. It's wonderful that you have wall to wall windows but now what? I love the look of roman shades but I think they would be too laborious to open and close on a daily basis. You could do the Hunter Douglas Silhouettes inside mounted in each window but I recommend putting them on a re-mote control so the operation of them wouldn't be a lot of work. The down side is that you will see a large head rail at the top of each window which would be distracting to the architectural element your windows provide. I would recommend an outdoor sheer fabric made into traversing floor length drapery panels. I mention outdoor as outdoor fabrics have come a very long way in design and styling. Many of them look like indoor fabrics today. The outdoor fabric fibers will have longevity in a sunny window and the sheer like quality will make it so they don't need as much stacking room while at the same time they don't look like heavy fabric drapes covering your architecture. To elevate the height of the window wall I would install the traverse drapery rod much higher than the window trim. Just below the ceiling line would be wonderful. Good luck in your endeavors.
  • PRO
    Patrick Mills
    hace 10 años
    Hunter Douglas has some great options got you ! Look at the Nantucket and Silhoutte
  • Susan Vale
    hace 10 años
    I have a whole bank of cedar windows overlooking my pool, north facing (equivalent of US south facing) a previous owner installed holland blinds which I rarely close even at night with the light on I have reasonable privacy and its a pain individually closing 10 blinds. Also we never seem to get the blinds evenly rolled up which annoys me. I just went with double glazing so I could enjoy my view. You can also re glaze with low e glass or use a film like someone else suggested.
  • marjie1059
    hace 10 años
    I love those windows, and the wood trim.
    My vote is no on painting the wood trim. The wood is beautiful and balances the room colors in a pleasing manner.
    My favorite picture is Bonnie's living room photo (posted last Wednesday). The sheers do not compete with the trim, furniture, or the view. Many of the suggestions would draw attention to the curtain/drapes/blinds, which I think would be a mistake. (Shutters, Roman blinds, etc also would look heavy and ponderous, especially when repeated over so many windows; that look doesn't seem to fit this room.) You want to feature the view, not your window treatments. Also, note that the hanging point is hidden--another way the sheers do not detract.
    Cordell carpet has a good point about the honeycomb blinds. Sheers sure aren't going to do much to retain the heat in the winter. Cellular blinds would help a great deal in that area, and the photo they chose shows that the blinds do not have to be in-your-face So maybe a combination of sheers and cellular blinds would interfere the least with the view and decor while providing the greatest benefit.
    My kitchen, while not nearly so expansive, has nothing permanent because I can't decide. I use curtains on tension rods on the two windows visible from the street (yes, I put them up each night and take them down each morning--no obstructed view, thank you), and nothing on the back windows (no neighbors there). I don't want to put anything into the wood. I want the view, yet privacy. I think I will get cellulars for the two "traffic windows" (passing cars can see inside) that go up from the bottom or down from the top. That way I can have light at the top, or see the sunset in the top half of the window, while the drivers still can't see who is in my kitchen. But I don't know what to do about the cold. And when it was -15 recently, it did make a difference.
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    hace 10 años
    Roman shades backed with insullation are attractive, functional, and will help keep the cold out. However, my favorite window treatment are the shades featured in the photos that have several options for light control - not so good for keeping the cold out, but you can always cover the windows with clear plastic insullation.
  • Steph M
    hace 10 años
    When I lived in California, I had a wall of windows across the back of the house (LR and DR). My designer came up with an easy and beautiful solution. We did sheer draperies 3x fullness over a high quality insulating liner in a sateen finish. I could close the liner for privacy and insulation, leave the sheers closed most of the time. The draperies were floor to ceiling and wall to wall. Very nice look. The sheers were a seeded silk like fabric in celadon. Got rave reviews from everyone who came to the house.
  • marjie1059
    hace 10 años
    Robin Lechner Designs: I don't really know why, but those photos make me think of garage doors. (And I don't even have a garage!)
  • marjie1059
    hace 10 años
    msmacchi: you wouldn't have any pics of that, would you?
  • marjie1059
    hace 10 años
    So, Susan, what are your thoughts so far on this vast array of suggestions?
  • somfyservice
    hace 10 años
    Pirouette Shades by Hunter Douglas..
    www.newyorkblindcompany.com
    Superior Interiors
    212-671-0162
  • wallysgirll
    hace 10 años
    We lived in a log home in the mountains--floor to ceiling windows across 50% of the back and a huge picture window in the kitchen. Didn't need window coverings for privacy and wanted a clear view the majority of the time. However, after a couple of years dealing with hot summer sun and cold winters, we put up roman shades, which allowed heating/cooling help, but we were able to have an open view most of the time. Plus, we found this to be the least expensive, but attractive solution. If you're handy, you can make your own.
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    hace 10 años
    Www.enerlogicfilm.com. Blinds and shades will work to keep more. Heat. In to varying degrees WHEN THEY ARE CLOSED, resulting in no view. Low-e window film will help control temperature AND allow you to keep your view.

Here is the view through some enerlogic film on a cold, snowy day. More images available on our website.
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    hace 10 años
    Roman shades attached on each door.
  • PRO
    Superior Interiors Plus
    hace 10 años
    that is awesome ....what do you do at night? when people can see in?
    a tinted window takes away from the view? it always looks like its a rainy day.... not a fan of tinted windows .......check out a Hunter Douglas silhouette shade
  • hatetoshop
    hace 10 años
    I've just had Hunter Douglas Silhouettes installed on windows and doors that expand across my family room and kitchen. They have the Easy Glide system, so very easy for raising/lowering. But I am experiencing a problem with them, and Hunter Douglas has already replaced them once because of it -- the fabric puckered (have no better way of describing it). Although replaced, two of the shades covering the doors still pucker, so back they will go. If you do get the Silhouettes on any doors with handles, you might want to opt for the 2" so that use of the handle is not impeded.

You have a beautiful home. Enjoy!
  • PRO
    SOLARIS
    hace 10 años
    Shiplsl1 is specifically looking for a solution to control temperature in the winter. Again, some blinds and drapes will be effective in this regard, when they are closed. As you can see from her open view to the pool, privacy is probably a minor concern over interior comfort. Installing a low-e window film will increase the energy efficiency at a low cost AND allow the open view.

If you need privacy at night, a blind or shade is far more effective but the member did not mention this. People who say they do not like window film are likely not aware of the latest technologies available. Our films are nothing like what you see on cars driving down the road. Clear views, proven energy efficiency 24/7 and fade protection of your furnishings as an added bonus.

I encourage you to take a look at www.enerlogicfilm.com for your winter heat retention needs.
  • PRO
    Loom Decor
    hace 10 años
    Lined draperies might be your best bet. Couple those with some romans or wood blinds and you will have unbeatable protection against the cold. In the colder part of the country, interior designers often recommend their clients get full length drapery panels with lining and interlining. This adds a couple extra layers of protection from the elements (and also helps keep the cold air in in the summer). You can play around with different drapery styles on our site. I have pulled a couple looks that seem like the would work well in the space. You could even put them on a ceiling mounted ripple old track so the panels can be completely pushed to the side when not in use and you will still be able to enjoy all the wonderful light that those windows let in! If you want to discuss further, I am more than happy to talk through some recommendations. I hope this helps! Happy decorating!

Design It Yourself Decor | loomdecor.com | blair@loomdecor.com

Blue and White Ring Top Drapery Panels · Más información

Navy Bird & Branch Rod Pocket Drapery · Más información
  • PRO
    Outre
    hace 10 años
    I personally have the Enerlogic Film that Solaris is talking about on my home and it is amazing. Not only does it allow me to keep my blinds open whenever I want, but it also helps block the heat in the summer and keep the heat in during the winter. Awesome Product!
  • keestey
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful windows with a pool view-I would not cover unless sunlight is an issue. An area rug would make the room warmer and less "woody".
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    I would not cover them.
  • PRO
    Delmarva Blinds & Shutters
    hace 10 años
    You can do top down cell shades.I think they would be great in those windows good luck
  • somfyservice
    hace 10 años
    Superior Interiors .... New York City, Long Island,
    An Authorized Hunter Douglas Showcase Priority Dealer
    http:// www.newyorkblindcompany.com
    Free Estimate.....
    we offer shop at home service
  • Roktta
    hace 9 años
    How long can a pirouette from Hunter Douglas be to have them motorized. I have 9.2 ft windows in my bedroom.
  • PRO
    COURTENAY GLASS LTD
    hace 9 años
    This is a job we recently finished. The customer was first only interested in glazing, but after discussing shading options they opted for rollshutters on the outside of the house. Our customer did look at interior shading options which were also going be quite expensive, but the bigger question was regarding performance and maintenance. The rollshutters have given these folks complete control to open and close these depending on whether the sun is facing or not. The house is situated south west and gets all day sun with high loads in the afternoon both direct as well as reflection off the water (they are ocean front) These shutters are aluminum and foam filled which results in extra R value for keeping the heat in as well as full heat block. They will also give extra noise deadening, privacy, security and great room darkening to sleep in. Because they are mounted on the outside, they are easy to hose down for maintenance as opposed to trying to scale ladders on the inside to take down to clean.
  • barbaraosborne
    hace 7 años

grey solar shades

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.