Houzz Logo Print
webuser_861063580

Need advice for changing a beige on beige (on beige) bathroom

We moved into our home almost five years ago, and I'm just now tackling the master bedroom/bath.

Our master bath is cavernous - I'd rather have the space somewhere else, but it is a very nice space. However, it is soooo beige. Beige tiling, dark brown cabinetry, unattractive dark fixtures. I threw a rug down that I had used in a previous spot in our former home, and called it a day.

Looking for ways to completely change up the look of this room. The floor tile cannot be changed (it is heated tile, and it would be $$$$ to change it). Open to any and all suggestions!

Comentarios (12)

• hace 3 años

Boy - you weren’t kidding - that is one huge bathroom! And I love the floors...my favorite part of the room, so it’s great that you’re keeping them.

When you say they can’t be changed, does that mean you can’t change anything about the layout as well? I’ve never had heated floors so I don’t know how complicated (read “expensive”!) it would be to move things around.

Because it seems like you could really use a larger shower, and a smaller/freestanding tub. But the best way to accomplish that, IMO, is to rearrange the vanities as well. Is that possible, or no?

And I agree with @Donald - remove the tile around the vanities, change the mirrors, add sconces (one of my favorite things for a MBath!), and paint. That will make a world of difference even if you’re unable to make more significant updates.

Good luck and have fun - you certainly have a wonderful canvas with which to work!

• hace 3 años

Better fixtures with brighter (whiter) bulbs. Can any of the blinds ever stay open, or is it a privacy issue? Just getting light in there, natural or artificial, would help. Change out the mirrors. Then paint.

• hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Sorry, I’m an a enabler. I love monotone beige.

But if you must, I do agree with all the blue/ green. I like SW Sea Salt as well.

• hace 3 años

^LOL!

• PRO
    hace 3 años

How far do you want to go??

#1 Paint! It will feel like a new space immediately and add a couple of large plants

#2 More interesting blinds - not sure what the view is like - but something softer and with a color or pattern - maybe a pleated shade that can open top down - that way you can maintain privacy but have the light come across the ceiling

#3 Change the scale of some things - I like that you tried a rug... maybe a different pattern would be better? I would also do much larger rugs in front of the vanities - the proportion is wrong. Change the lights- bigger more presence - especially the hanging ones.

If you want to go further - I would take out the trim piece that goes along the splash and up around the mirror. Then put in a nice framed mirror.

I would also consider wrapping those horizontal beams in wood

If you want to go one more step - do something with those walls next to the vanities. You can't remove them because of the floors - I would either create a niche in them with a shelf or 2 - something like this but MUCH smaller

Or you could cut them down to the height of the vanity and replace the tops and backsplash.

Whatever you do, take your time - do one thing at a time. Live with it and see if you need to do anymore.

Good luck!

• hace 3 años

Would definitely change the sconces and overhead light fixtures.

You could choose a stainless steel or chrome or even a white base for those lights.

Would want the faucet and cabinet hardware -- perhaps even the door hardware -- to be stainless steel or chrome, too.

Choose a bathroom sink faucet with a higher arc.

Actually like the wood vanity and beige walls but your space should reflect your taste.

If you could add a hanging basket from a bracket above window or from the ceiling at the window for a live plant (heart leaf philodendron), consider that and choose a flower pot that adds your favorite color(s) .

The wood of the stool could be painted, whether or not you change the seat cover, to add a splash of color.

Consider removing all the little rugs except as needed when you exit the shower or tub. The room is large enough for you to add a cart to hold those rugs until needed. (Perhaps something similar to a double handled silver serving cart.)

Consider a round rug for your room rug. Pick one that adds the color you want added to the room.

https://www.google.com/search?q=larger+round+bathroom+rugs&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjm9a7X7r_vAhXdFVkFHQ8gAE8Q_AUoAnoECAIQBA&biw=1366&bih=626

If you still want to paint the walls, consider creating wainscoting on the two pony walls that are the exposed sides of the vanity. You could paint the pony wall/wainscoting to add a splash of your favorite color to the room , without completely repainting the room.

Alternately, if you're going to paint the walls, you could still use the pony walls as accent walls by painting them a color that co-ordinates well with your new choice of wall color (rather than the same color as your new wall color) -- perhaps a lighter or darker shade of that same color.

• hace 3 años

It’s really a lovely bathroom and the floor is nice as well; room just needs warming up. I like the wall color as it feels calm, soft and could feel spa like. If that appeals to you:

I’d remove the towel hooks and add wooden ladder (s) with really lovely white towels. A bench under window (which will be handy) and a basket and plant.

You could add teak at tub and shower

Change the pendants

Accessorize

A large white rug in middle of the sink area

• hace 3 años

“If you could add a hanging basket from a bracket above window or from the ceiling at the window for a live plant (heart leaf philodendron), consider that and choose a flower pot that adds your favorite color(s).”

I love that idea @suezbell - philodendrons are wonderful plants. That would be beautiful!

• hace 3 años

I really want to remove the pony walls at the end of each vanity -- instead of the wood breaking up the beige expanse, they hide the vanities and present more of the paint! of course, you need to have a bit more floor tile to take out any walls, so that might not be possible. Or maybe the ends of the vanity are hideous. But I'd look for a way to minimize that effect, whether with art or towels or....

• PRO
    hace 3 años

My tile is very similar and I've been trying to find the right light paint color. Very difficult. What is your bathroom currently painted?

• PRO
    hace 3 años

My first thought would be remove the knee wall. Is it tiled below it, so that could be an option?

Add a large chandelier from the ceiling.

Remove the small tile backsplash by the sink.

Paint or stain the vanity a java or something. Something to tone down the purplish/red.

Add Pattern and color with rugs, and maybe drapery. I personally am looking to keep my walls neutral, but neutrals are a lot harder to find the correct one.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.