Houzz Logo Print
ashley_smith704

Design dilemma: What's the best layout for a small apartment?

Ashley
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

We would love some advice on fixing the current layout of our newly purchased apartment. We are thinking of moving the kitchen to the dining zone, and installing sliding doors at the back (facing north) and placing a banquette style seating arrangement in the current kitchen space opening to the back balcony (Which isn’t shown on the floor plan but is outside the kitchen). Also means the bathroom will no longer open onto the kitchen. Upstairs have already moved their kitchen to the same space. Is there any particular design or change that may work better? Any ideas? Bedroom 1 Is no longer connected to the bathroom either. Currently in the bathroom there is also laundry facilities Which we would love to move out but have no room to place elsewhere. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comentarios (10)

• oklouise
    hace 4 años

the floorplan dimensions are inconsistent but assuming that you can rearrange the plumbing and add the sliding door someting like this should work but please advise the current location of the laundry and confirm the dimensions of all the rooms

• Ashley
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Thanks so much oklouise. This is the floor plan layout we have from the realestate advertisement. It doesn’t have measurements but is supposedly to scale. Inside the bathroom the laundry is hidden behind the double doors.

• Ashley
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

This is the unit block plan from a realestate advertisement directly above our Apartment.

• oklouise
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

the measuremnts shown on the real estate plan are inconsistant..to avoid disappointment please confirm these measurements with a tape measure

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

Hi Ashley. I would caution against the design style of the apartment above.

From what info there is, in the real world that kitchen layout would be painful to eat at. Assuming the width there is 3.0m (depends on where they measured the kitchen) then a benchtop of 600mm, a kitchen walkway of approx 1000mm, then a counter of 600 only leaves an 800mm wide passage/seating area. Even if the room is 3200mm wide you only get a seating/walkway of 1000mm and then you need to be careful of the fridge intrusion into the kitchen space.

The failing of this design is trying to have 2 separate walkways in limited space.

Oklouise's design is better because you are multi tasking the same open space ie it is both a passage way and the kitchen work area. It also provides a wall to enable the fridge depth to be part of the length of the room and not the width.

Keep in mind in also that in order to do that design the people above likely needed access to your? apartment to relocate the drains. That is the biggest issue in apartments and needs to be reviewed and resolved before you can do any work.

Cheers

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    hace 4 años

Maybe eliminate the small cross walls. And make one door of bedroom not facing main hall.
    That way not much cross circulations cutting in and out.
    See this for a start. Not a big island but quite usable. It can even be on castor wheel

• PRO
    Larkspur Lane Design
    hace 4 años

I second John Cameron. Perspective can change completely once immersed in a new space.

• PRO
    Lisa Elliott Interior Design
    hace 4 años

I Agree with John Cameron Architects comments; Live in the space, consider how you use it, what your long term plans may be. The kitchen and dining areas appear actually quite narrow - beware of attempting to create an open plan layout with island benches & such, it will need to be carefully considered for a successful outcome. It has great potential for becoming a beautify home. I agree with Two's Company on this. Best of luck on your project.

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

Hi Ashley,

I am not sure where you are located but if you are in Brisbane or the surrounds, we can assist. We are Khadye Design and Construction. My husband is a builder and I'm an Interior Designer. We can help you with this entire process. Feel free to call me on 0411 439 768.

Thank you,

Michelle Khadye

Khadye Design and Construction

www.khadye.com.au

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.