Houzz Logo Print
ivyloudiy

Help with finishing touches on my kitchen remodel

Ivy Lou
hace 4 años

Kitchen looks plain and (obviously) unfinished. I am waiting on the tile to arrive to do the backsplash, but I think even with backsplash done, I am worried it will still look plain.

Upper cabinets are BM White Dove and lower cabinets are BM Kendall Charcoal. Quartz looks plain white in the photos, but it's a marbled quartz.

I will be doing a white 2x6 subway tile backsplash in a herringbone pattern and painting walls and trim BM Dove Wing, so that in itself may help tremendously.

I mainly took inspiration from this home:

This kitchen/home has Dove Wing walls, White Dove cabinets, and the kitchen island is Kendall Charcoal.

Here are a few of the specific items I'm unsure of:

1. Light fixtures? I've been wanting to change out the light fixtures for a long time, but I can't decide on a style.

2. Window treatment? I'm thinking a natural bamboo shade would look good and add texture and warmth?

3. Cabinet hardware? I found pulls I like and they come in black and champagne/honey bronze and I'm not sure which to choose.

4. Can I spruce up the base cabinets? I have never liked how plain the base cabinets are around the island and peninsula (it's just flat sides). I was debating between tile or wood planks (like shiplap). I am now looking at peel and stick wood boards. Not sure what color or type of wood would work best, but I'm leaning towards a lighter wood tone.

5. Counter stools? I'm thinking something with natural wood (wood seat, metal legs), but I'm indecisive.

6. Wood shelves, beams, and accent pieces? Can I fit any wood shelves anywhere? I love all my cabinet storage, but I also love how wood shelves look - just not how they function for actual dinnerware. Other ideas to get wood accents/beams in my kitchen?

Here are some other kitchens I like so you can get a good idea of my aesthetic:

West End Bungalow · Más información

Modern Mountain Home · Más información

Thanks!

Comentarios (27)

• Sara
    hace 4 años

I love the idea of adding some warm tones-wooden legs on barstools, and perhaps warm toned knobs and handles. I’m nowhere near a designer, but your pendant lights seem too small to me.

Lovely kitchen!

Ivy Lou agradeció a Sara
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

HELP - contractor totalled quote incorrectly, now says owe +10,000

Q

(5) comentarios
    @Cruca : Thank you for responding We both signed the original AND a mid-renovations updated contract, and both totalled 40.000. However, at the very end, he recognised an error on the final total, and explained that if I add up all the individual items, it totals 50.000. I understand, but he knew my budget was 40.000, and now because the work is finished, I can't even remove or reduce any of the work. It just seems unfair, because everyone could say that all the time. I trusted my builder, and as it was a printed document, I assumed all his calculations were correct!
    ...Ver más

How To Invest In Your Bathroom Remodeling?

Q

(1) comentarios
    The two examples of bathrooms presented to us, especially the first, have a superlative personality. The flooring of marbles in the back of the sink and the tiled shower are masterful and achieve a very unusual effect, for tremendously original.
    ...Ver más

The integration of elements complement each other

Q

(1) comentarios
    In this dissertation, we are warned that to renovate a house, so that everyone sarisfecho sits down, it is enough to make some partial feforms and maintain everything that contributes to the personality of the home. If we make such a total change, affecting everything previously existing, it is clear that our home, we cannot feel it easily like ours.
    ...Ver más

help with a couple kitchen remodeling items needed

Q

(1) comentarios
    Apologies: here's the second item - I am having a hard time with the Houzz app for some reason (once I began adding photos it was hard to further edit my post). Anyways, item #2: does anyone have any lighting ideas for this room? The easy solution is adding recessed lights (this kitchen is on the second floor and adding lights from above shouldn't be too hard with access from attic). I thought about adding maybe 3 or so pendant lights through the middle of the room (at short lengths) could be cool, but not sure how that would look/feel (Kohler Lighting 22653-PE01-BNL Artifacts 5" Wide Mini | Build.com) I think these would give off a strong amount of light (I have used similar lights from the same Kohler line in other rooms) but may seem odd in the space/not perform as well as recessed lights as far as illumination goes. I am going for somewhat of a traditional look, that has some craftsman/occasional Victorian vibes in my home. Any ideas welcome - thanks.
    ...Ver más
  • Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I don't like my current kitchen pendants or the light above the sink. They were original with the house. I just can't decide whether I should do black or white dome/cone lights, like in my examples, or a clear glass.

• lizziesma
    hace 4 años

My opinion-it is plain but the good stuff to indicate who you are isn't in there yet. Say, window treatment, plants, art, towels, tea kettle??? If you take all the decor out of your inspiration pics they look plain too. You have a good base to build on.

Ivy Lou agradeció a lizziesma
  • J J
    hace 4 años

following

• Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here are a few things I have setup around the kitchen:

I am considering these counter stools for the peninsula seating:

• Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I agree the pendants are too small for the space. I think I need something that lets the light shine out at all directions, instead of just a downlight, as my kitchen doesn't have a lot of light naturally.

I'm leaning towards pendants like this:

Although that one is particularly expensive since it's handmade by artisans... so yeah, I don't know if anyone knows of any cheaper pendants that have a similar look to this? It's not that I don't think the artisans deserve the hefty price tag, I just don't know if I can convince my husband that we need a light fixture that is also a beautiful piece of art.

I'm at a loss for what kind of light to put over the sink.

• bpath
    hace 4 años

The bright spot you don't need is the white outlet on the peninsula. Change it to match the cabinet.

• Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes, way ahead of you - I am replacing all the outlets and light switches and am planning on doing Lutron's satin black color for the dark cabinet outlets. It has been part of the original remodel plan.

• Irene Morresey
    hace 4 años

It will look beautiful when all finished add some lovely flowers in pot, bowl of fruit, maybe a nice Roman blind. What colour grouting are you having with your subway backsplash

Ivy Lou agradeció a Irene Morresey
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 4 años

Something similar to these lights, eye catching

Ivy Lou agradeció a Irene Morresey
  • Val B
    hace 4 años

Hi - I’m not a designer, but I think your kitchen is coming along nicely. I think you’re on the right track with adding a bamboo shade and wooden bar stools to add warmth. I would not add anything to the island - the barstools will be enough. I think the lighting is a little tricky because you have the peninsula and island, which could both use pendants. Wherever you decide to keep the lighting, I would use a larger size (even larger than the new pendants you found). You don’t have that bug hood from the inspiration picture, but maybe large pendants with some brass in them would also help bring the warmth.

Ivy Lou agradeció a Val B
  • Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

For the backsplash, I plan on using a light grey so I can get a subtle herringbone pattern.

I'm really indecisive about whether I should use flat black or brass cabinet pulls. I'm leaning towards black, but I see a lot of kitchens with brass and they look beautiful as well. Is brass too trendy and I'll get sick of it? I think I prefer white cabinets with black pulls.

I really like the look of "oversized" pulls. Thoughts on positioning the cabinets pulls horizontal even on cabinets that swing open?

Jerome Village Lot 125 · Más información

I am leaning towards clear glass globe pendants..

Hermitage · Más información

• acm
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Just my two cents: plain is good. Kitchens are always visually busy with the stuff that goes in after the reno is done -- toaster, coffee maker, dishes drying, mail set down, spice rack, rugs and towels, whatever. You'll be glad you have a simple and elegant backdrop for all that.

Ivy Lou agradeció a acm
  • Gcubed
    hace 4 años

following

• jhmarie
    hace 4 años

When you do the backsplash remove the over the range microwave and tile behind it or reserve enough tile to fill in the space - harder to patch with a herringbone style so I would remove the micro and do it now and then put back the micro. When the microwave wears out, replace it with a pretty stainless hood, or if you prefer and have the budget, do a wood hood - possibly a little harder when one has a soffit (as I do) but still doable. I bought an unfinished wood hood and finished it to match my cabinets and it has a vent insert and liner - all made to go together. The difficulty with the soffit is the current standard of a wood hood being 30" above the range. Mine is not quite that high, though it is installed as per the manufactures directions. I've seen lower wood hoods in homes for sale in my area so the recommendation for wood hood hight (30" above range) is not considered in home inspections in my area - but might be in yours.

All your inspiration pics have a pretty hood:)

Ivy Lou agradeció a jhmarie
  • Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Any designers/color experts want to weigh in on doing wood planks on the plain sides and back of the island and peninsula? My wood floors are maple stained with a dark gray. It has a cool undertone. I assume it would be really jarring to try to do wood planks with a warm/orange undertone, right? Should I be looking at cool tone planks in either a darker or lighter tone than my wood floors?

Garner House · Más información

jhmarie: Where would I have a microwave then if I replaced it with a vent hood? A countertop model? I know all my inspiration pics have a vent hood, but that is the trend right now. While I like the look of a vent hood, I care more about versatility and having appliances with multiple functions. The fact that the microwave is a cooker and can vent the range all-in-one is appealing to me. I am planning on replacing the microwave with a model that also has convection since there is no space in my kitchen for a double wall oven. Also, it would be way more work to convert my kitchen to having a vent hood. My cabinets aren't individual boxes. The whole upper cabinets that are touching are all one solid box. the cabinets above the microwave are actually open on the sides to the cabinets to the left and right of it.

BTW: I am planning on replacing all the appliances. New range will be a slide in model so we can see more of the herringbone behind it.

• Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Santa luz black and white · Más información

Wood planks on island inspiration. For my kitchen, I am considering black on the peninsula and some kind of light wood planks on the island. Any opinions on that?

Ori Glass 1-Light Clear Pendant · Más información

Bigger (much more affordable) globe pendants. If I had 2 of these on the peninsula, what would be best for over the sink? I feel like using the same fixture would be boring, but not sure what I would use over the sink.

• Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Atherton Oasis · Más información

I love these pendants. Still can't decide on over sink light.

If I were to replace my OTR microwave with a hood, I don't think I have a way to get it ducted to the outside. So I would probably have to get a ductless one.

• PRO
    Studio Boise, LLC
    hace 4 años

I think the plainness you note is coming from a combo of a typical gray and white palette without much texture. Your inspiration photos have the same simple palette, but they all have a lot of texture: T&G on the roof, shiplap around the island, white painted brick fireplaces, etc. Rather than a smooth, glossy subway tile backsplash which is similar to your counter, use a tile with more dimension: tumbled, beveled, or convex. Make sure your new lights have texture via fabric or wood, and same with your stools. Good luck.

Ivy Lou agradeció a Studio Boise, LLC
  • jhmarie
    hace 4 años

Your range is not far from an outside wall and probably a duct could be done. That would depend on how you cook and your budget. Some cook a lot with spices or fry up lots of bacon, run their fan frequently and would never consider a ductless vent. I run my fan frequently and find it helps keep grease off surfaces, but that is me. Some people rarely cook on the range top or just don't find a fan important.

It is a good idea to look at the little touches mentioned by Studio Boise.

If you can live without the cabinet to the right of the window, you could put a set of shelves there or replace the center panels with glass or remove the doors, finish the inside and use as an open cabinet. That is not quite the same as the wood shelves, but might be an imbetween step while you see how you like that area open. Some will say you should not take away the storage - it depends on how much you have elsewhere. I retrofitted a cabinet with a plate rail - I am sure some would feel the space could have been better used as a cabinet, but like you I wanted to add some of my own touches / style.

Shelves - like in some of your inspiration pic:

This is more farmhouse / cottage:

You might be able to use the cabinet elsewhere if you do shelves:

Also - like others have said, once you add you own decor touches, the space will feel more like your space. My style is different from yours - more cottage - but I've got art and other touches that give it a sense of my space as opposed to any of the other similar (older oak) kitchens.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854029

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854052

• Amy Lydia
    hace 4 años

Beautiful kitchen! I think a few touches of personal color choices throughout will add more feelings of home and excitement. Maybe some color with towels, blinds, a colored toaster Or coffee maker, etc. Those are the simple areas that I added color in our kitchen. I prefer neutrals though and love your kitchen! I would change the pendant lighting though. Maybe something clear or glass.

Ivy Lou agradeció a Amy Lydia
  • PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    hace 4 años

As mentioned by previous posters- your kitchen is a beautiful backdrop for what really matters in your life-

make some delicious food, have a glass of wine with your friends , bake with the kids ( grandkids even ) . Happy kitchens make for happy memories.

Ivy Lou agradeció a RCKsinks Inc.
  • Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for the advice and kind words about my kitchen. When all of the work was completed, it was sort of shocking. I looked at it and felt like it was definitely representative of my choices, but didn't feel right. I think the keyword I need to hold onto is definitely "texture". I think the backplash will help add some texture once that is done, but here are some other things I will add for texture:

1. New pendant lights - clear glass globes

2. Bamboo/natural window shade

3. Black cabinet pulls

4. Metal and wood counter stools

5. Adding some decor and other accents

Any suggestions for type of wood to do floating wood shelves? Pine?

I tested Stikwood for around my island and peninsula and I just didn't feel the rustic vibe. I would probably have to look at thin laminate planks instead to get the look I want or just do something similar to my inspiration kitchen (where they did shiplap-like boards and painted it the same as the cabinets).

I am also planning on probably replacing the OTR microwave with a range hood and will make sure the backsplash goes up enough behind where the micro is now. I also would love some recommendations on some new appliances in general. I need a new range, dishwasher, and eventually a countertop micro and ductless under-cabinet range hood. I feel like I might be asking too many different questions for 1 thread, so I might make a new thread for some of my more specific questions...

• jhmarie
    hace 4 años

There are probably lots of good / rustic shelves out there - and I like the way they float in your inspiration pic.

When I did my basement kitchenette, I was on a very tight budget and decided to DIY some shelves. I cut up a fir joist and stained the shelves "special walnut". Fir is in the pine family so will tend to an orange hue if stained with a light stain. It can also stain blotchy so I used a pre-stain first.

You would want to use more contemporary brackets than I did. A fir joist is thick, but also has imperfections and knots - thus rustic - maybe too rustic:)

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~65270573

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~65270590

If you try this on your own, be sure to get a flat piece of lumber - lay it on the ground. Many have some bowing. Several lengths and widths available. Here is an example:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Top-Choice-2-x-6-x-12-ft-Fir-Lumber-Common-1-5-in-x-5-5-in-x-12-ft-Actual/4082908

• Ivy Lou
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for the info. Your wood shelves turned out great! I am currently looking at a few options on Etsy. I can basically order any size and they have several stain options.

• jhmarie
    hace 4 años

I like Etsy - have a store there myself - but not wood shelves:)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.