Houzz Logo Print
oakie10

Diningroom Suggestions

oakie10
hace 6 años
I need to finish this room. love the color- need rug, lighting, artwork etc. Flexible with furniture. Looking for comfortable, not real formal as it opens to the kitchen. Please ignore trash can etc. Thanks!!

Comentarios (36)

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

I like the color too is that a dark bluish gray?

the mirror should be where it brings the outside in. a nice dramatic piece of art on that wall would be great.

are you sure you want a rug? here are some i would recommend.

would you like one of these? let me know so i can toss the ones you don't like.

I would give you a regular buffet and update the contents of the dining cabinet. now a days they pitch or fill with large colorful items.

Some overhead lights

nice and simplistic

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

At a minimum, you need a rug that is 4' larger than the table top; bigger if you can without running into furniture along the walls or baseboards. Your furniture is great. Consider upholstering the chair seats and hanging curtains. The mirror is too large to hang above the furniture under it. A good guideline is to keep hanging pieces within 75% of the width of the furniture under them. That piece looks to be a hope chest. Consider replacing it with an actual buffet and you may be able to keep the mirror. Try hanging it vertically too. My own taste would require more interesting and colorful art, and more of it all around. For a chandelier you could go classic like the room, or add a touch of contemporary.

• felizlady
    hace 6 años
    A large oriental-style rug with some of that great blue in it. Oriental rugs go with any style...the furniture will dictate the "style" of the room. I would get a rug 4' wider and 4' longer than the table with all extensions added....that gives you room for the chairs to be moved in and out. If you want to start with the rug, select a patterned (oriental, trellis or..) one 4-5' narrower and 4-5' shorter than the room. A buffet, china cabinet or credenza looks good sitting directly on the wood floor.
  • PRO
    BEVOLO GAS & ELECTRIC LIGHTS
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

In addition to hand-building copper and iron chandeliers, Bevolo also sells some vintage/new lighting pieces. We also offer a complementary design service and
    can scale out the proper size fixtures for your rooms, based on your ceiling heights/table dimensions. Let us know if we can help you at all. Happy decorating! -Lindsey @ Bevolo

• seregiel
    hace 6 años
    For a more informal feel, going for a more sculptural wooden light might be the ticket. I am both drape and rug-gnostic in this room. As for art, if kitchen is staying yellow, I’d get a sizable piece that brings that color into the dining room to ease transition between rooms.
  • seregiel
    hace 6 años
    Yellow with white plays off trim, and yellow with blue would minimize the contrast if that is a worry.
  • PRO
    eWallArt
    hace 6 años

Hi Oakie10,

I really like this dining room!

I'd suggest canvas wall art for this room and I have some suggestions below:

If you like any of these directions, let me know and I can drill down to something that you really love.

If you prefer to browse the entire catalog, you can find it here.

Kind regards,

DJ from eWallArt

• kjoy1
    hace 6 años

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

please go with original art.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

I love this rug it has such a nice soft plush style and would lighten up your room! I love this chandelier from William Sanoma Home..would give it a casual sophisticated style...

all sale lighting is on sale you get another 20% with promo code EXTRA at check out.

• everdebz
    hace 6 años

You are mixing styles it seems - will you be using/ redoing the old-style floor lamp? and keeping the pitcher set? ... are delicate compared to contemporary mirror, which might be better somewhere else ...

• everdebz
    hace 6 años

Maybe that mirror if your palette was neutral: just repeating paint and wood, with a fabric like this for curtains:

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

I would move the large trunk out and get a buffet for under that pretty mirror. A painted piece like this keeps it more casual but brightens the room.

Love adding black accents with Navy Blue...this would be a nice accent for your space..

• everdebz
    hace 6 años

If paint is ink blue, this?

• oakie10
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks to everyone for the input! The color is SW Bungle House blue. I agree about the blanket chest, it is too small for the area. Replacing the China with something more vibrant is a great idea!! The china cabinet is 100 years old and colorful plates will make its beauty shine! I like the idea of crystals incorporated in the chandelier. I have "toyed" with idea of drapes skimming the window, ceiling to floor and upholstered nail head chairs. So many options and I appreciate everyone's input and photoshopping! A Question was asked about the kitchen color. Its not yellow, but pale oak (I think its the lighting in the picture) but it is a warm room. Hickory cabinets, concrete look tiles, St Ceceila granite, appliances are being replaced with black stainless. I do have a rug I will put in and take a picture. Thanks!
  • havingfun
    hace 6 años

it is not just bright plate, pitchers, serving bowls, colored glass, statuary. you just want it to be that you can see it across the room, no small details. another way of updating and keeping not too formal is going to spoonflower for fabrics. a few that i love

• everdebz
    hace 6 años

Anything further? :)

• oakie10
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I was thinking of something along these lines to put in place of the chest. Thoughts?
  • maree85
    hace 6 años

It's a pretty piece. Are you thinking about it in this color? Seems to me it would fade away against your wainscoting.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Oakie that piece looks like a media cabinet..I would look for something same color but higher and more like a buffet.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    hace 6 años

If you are looking for unique lighting ideas, in Galilee lighting we make unique lighting made of hand blown glass in beautiful styles. We specialize in custom lighting.

We invite you to visit our website to view our unique lighting collections.

If you would like to receive our catalog by email and get more ideas, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or
    visit www.GalileeLighting.com

We offer free design consultation, to design the perfect size of chandelier for your space. Call us
    at 305-807-8711

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    hace 6 años

I would add a glass chandelier and choose a sideboard that's a different color than your dining table & chairs. Maybe something with interesting door details or metal legs. See inspiration photos below. Good luck!

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    hace 6 años

A rug, and some artwork would be very lovely here. Perhaps showing a dining room we recently worked on will help?

• PRO
    eWallArt
    hace 6 años

Hi Oakie10 and Nandina.

I'd like to contribute this suggested print inspired by Nandina's post above. It would really pop on that wall with that paint color.

[Orange Trees II by James Wiens[(https://www.houzz.com/products/orange-trees-ii-by-james-wiens-canvas-print-60x40x15-prvw-vr~92860371)

Let me know if you'd like more suggestions in this direction.

Kindest regards,

DJ McCartney

eWallArt Customer Care

• PRO
    eWallArt
    hace 6 años

And, here's another suggestion in the same color palette:

• oakie10
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I am shopping tomorrow for a buffet/sideboard. Will post what I find. Thx everyone!
  • oakie10
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Here we go! I am changing out the hardware to rings, I think. perfect dimensions for the space. picking up tomorrow, will post when in place. Thoughts?
  • oakie10
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Not sure where those pictures came from. Here is the buffet.
  • oakie10
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I see they did post...☺
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Are you going to paint it?

• kjoy1
    hace 6 años
    Very interesting...is it navy?
  • oakie10
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Its painted black (distressed) Once its in place, I will see how the color works.....I was thinking , round brass pulls and maybe a marble top. It was inexpensive - so I can play with it. Looks better in person.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 6 años

Look at chrome or silver pulls too...I like the black and a marble top would be beautiful...great idea.

• PRO
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.