Houzz Logo Print
tooky58

HGTV:do you or don't you?

tooky58
hace 7 años

I never watched it until we had Wi-Fi issues a couple of months ago. So, what are your favorites and why, or, why not. I made this up quickly after seeing no new polls so if i missed something let me know.

Love it
Don't like it
Only if I can't find anything else

Comentarios (59)

• tgb1
    hace 7 años

I thought Felizlady just started one last week in the other category - not sure anyone noticed it....

tooky58 agradeció a tgb1
  • User
    hace 7 años

Didn't see that. This was a long one. If HGTV would have seen it , you'd think they'd change their programming.

tooky58 agradeció a User
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

Foyer needing help!

Q

(3) comentarios
    Hi Cristina, your table looks very beautiful however I discourage to have such furniture at home because of the mirrors. I work as a feng shui consultant and I know that the mirrors have some kind of power and one should be very carful placing them in the house. My personal opinion is to have a mirror in the place where the mirror can´t see you while you are resting or sleeping because in long term it can have negative influence on you. The mirror was created to look at it and it shouldn´t be used extensively also because of the reflections of the light. The human eye naturally is used to see the light coming from certain directions, if it comes from the direction which is not used to the light, especially artificial one, it may effect your vision or have negative influence on your mood. I'm talking about something very subtle which sometimes may be felt after some time. Another thing is that I always encourage people to don´t use repetitive patterns in the house just simple irregular forms and calm and worm colours which make the space more cozy and more natural. If you need more help with the rest of your house please let me know. I could make a 3d visualisation of your place to shaw the layout. Best \Marcin
    ...Ver más

HELP - contractor totalled quote incorrectly, now says owe +10,000

Q

(5) comentarios
    @Cruca : Thank you for responding We both signed the original AND a mid-renovations updated contract, and both totalled 40.000. However, at the very end, he recognised an error on the final total, and explained that if I add up all the individual items, it totals 50.000. I understand, but he knew my budget was 40.000, and now because the work is finished, I can't even remove or reduce any of the work. It just seems unfair, because everyone could say that all the time. I trusted my builder, and as it was a printed document, I assumed all his calculations were correct!
    ...Ver más

How to re-model this chair

Q

(4) comentarios
    As an example of vintage, you don't need to do anything. If you want to "integrate" in a current environment, just spoil it, painting white or "limewashed" and upholster with a rare topical fabric, which is coordinated as a "vintage" example, there is no need to do anything. If you want to "integrate" in a current environment, just spoil it, paint white or "limewashed" and upholster with a rare topical fabric, which coordinates with the rest of the environment. Sillon ISABELINO remodelado.
    ...Ver más

How To Invest In Your Bathroom Remodeling?

Q

(1) comentarios
    The two examples of bathrooms presented to us, especially the first, have a superlative personality. The flooring of marbles in the back of the sink and the tiled shower are masterful and achieve a very unusual effect, for tremendously original.
    ...Ver más
  • tgb1
    hace 7 años

I remember that one tribble, I think it was started by weatherwife. I also remember an even older one than that - it was a poll about property bros vs Hillary and david. No matter, people seem to enjoy commenting...

tooky58 agradeció a tgb1
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Great memory, thanks! Yes, I remember the other one too.

tooky58 agradeció a User
  • Maureen
    hace 7 años

I have narrowed down my viewing to Fixer Upper, Byrk House, The Expandables, and Home to Win. Each of these shows have authentic, likeable, and creative designers and they are not cliché, so I haven't given up on HGTV just yet. Timelines are not important to me or the reality specifics, as I'm viewing for ideas and seeing an end product that is not run of the mill and the creative process that is involved.

tooky58 agradeció a Maureen
  • tgb1
    hace 7 años

Maureen are you in Canada? The only show that I recognize from your list is Fixer Upper...

tooky58 agradeció a tgb1
  • Maureen
    hace 7 años

@tgb1 - yes - HGTV Canada may also have many others that you may not have (Income Property, Income Vacation Property, House of Bryan, etc). You can probably view these shows on line if interested. For instance, Home to Win is about a beautiful home in the country and teams of 1 designer/1 carpenter are each assigned a room to redo during each episode (maybe 10 shows). They have dynamic ying/yangs, auththenic fun and it was great to see their various concepts and designs..vs seeing an entire home looking the same. At the end of the show, the house was to be won. House of Bryan is again about 10 or 12 episodes - Bryan is a very well known contractor and is a Gemini award winner and his wife is the designer. The show is about the trials and tribulations/rationale and lovely concepts and design decisions resulting in their stunning, large country home.

tooky58 agradeció a Maureen
  • tgb1
    hace 7 años

Thanks Maureen :))

tooky58 agradeció a tgb1
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

i watched it once. and then i watched it again, a couple months later. i realized that the two episodes were indistinguishable from each other. decided not to watch again.

i like to look at pretty house pictures but dont want people standing around talking to each other.

tooky58 agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • tgb1
    hace 7 años

Nnigrt - I so agree! Hgtv was much more enjoyable imo when we just saw the hosts and no obnoxious, whiny, unrealistic homeowners!!

tooky58 agradeció a tgb1
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 7 años

I watch "Fixer Upper" if I think of it and have nothing else to do. Ship lap...how many ways can you use it?

I miss the decorating shows. Sarah Richadrson, who we don't get in the States anymore, and the old Candace Olsen shows when she worked with Hunky Paul and Chico.

I read somewhere that "Love it or List it" producers are being sued by a couple who claim they were cheated. Their accusations and proof of shoddy work, which cost them a lot of their own money, are very convincing.

Nowhere on that show are we told the owners have put up thousands of dollars of their own money to become t v stars. LOL

http://www.people.com/article/hgtv-love-it-or-list-it-lawsuit-claims-show-fake-botched-renovations

tooky58 agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • Alan McGoldrick
    hace 7 años

far cry from what it used to be. Hardly ever watch...

tooky58 agradeció a Alan McGoldrick
  • wacokid
    hace 7 años

Hard to believe how popular the whole industry has become. I watched "This Old House" and then "The Yankee Workshop" when they were first on. I really liked both. Norm had a damn special tool for everything he did... Then the show "Home Improvement" aired and I thought to myself who is going to watch a comedy TV show on home improvement??? Loved that one. HGTV has done a great job and is a big reason home buying and renovating is so popular. Just remember when you were looking or renovating your first house and you could watch a show that gave you ideas, how outstanding. Most of the hosts are hard working- down to earth people that I would like to have a beer or a glass of wine with anytime. Living here in Waco and seeing what Chip & Joanna have accomplished is really something. Now if only Giada would go out and swing a hammer.................And if you are a Pro - my Dad always told me "Never bite the hand that feeds you".

tooky58 agradeció a wacokid
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

This Old House also has had issues with the team egging homeowners on,... into spending far more than they wanted to. a house up the street was featured last year..the wife is at the boston design center being herded into tremendously expensive decorator fabric, and i know she had to be thinking 'wow i should just go to The Fabric Corner down on Mass ave'.....

• User
    hace 7 años

IMO, This Old House isn't what it used to be either, and though I never liked the original host, I always thought those original shows were much much better than anything HGTV put out.

tooky58 agradeció a User
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

i hadnt watched it in a long time, but it was a lot of fun having scenes from our town on tv during the 'establishing shots'.

• tooky58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I don't remember seeing something earlier but, here we all are. I have gotten a few ideas, especially like the thought of tiling the shower in wood look tile. I do like Houzz better, HGTV filled that empty 2 week spot.

• Alan McGoldrick
    hace 7 años

As a result of this thread, I tuned in last night and in my market, the shows were back to back real estate hunt shows. One was lakefront living then followed by beachfront living. Both shows were exactly alike "formulaic" as another poster put it. Not a single host or designer in sight. I guess the promotional value goes to the towns they were shooting in?

@nnigrt Boston here as well and one still like This Old House (TOH). The format may have changed a bit but I still value the lessons taught by the guys on the show. IMO in the battle for ratings, the educational value of TOH has not been lost. This is where I think HGTV has lost some of its luster.

tooky58 agradeció a Alan McGoldrick
  • ecpt
    hace 7 años

One of my favorite old HGTV shows (can't remember the name of it) was where the host would show an inspiration room and then how you could imitate it for less money and some DIY. Also, for a short time there was one where the guy would "find" someone in the home improvement store and say "how about we come home w/ you right now and redo your landscape". And then) they would spend the rest of the day doing that, and show you the before/after. DH & I used to enjoy that one. It was somewhat staged, of course, but it was fun and different.

tooky58 agradeció a ecpt
  • User
    hace 7 años

Olsen and Richardson were fun to watch. The same script for each of the Flip or Flop and Love it or List it got old real quick! After Fixer Upper made Chip's antics the focus, I quit watching HGTV all together.

tooky58 agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Cameron's Design
    hace 7 años

Love it! I got to meet and interview some of the people involved in Showhouse Showdown a few years ago when they filmed in my area. I also love Love It or List It!

tooky58 agradeció a Cameron's Design
  • Dan
    hace 7 años

HGTV and one other channel were about the only things I watched until cutting my cable a year ago. The shows were too predictable and formulaic. For example, look at all the shows where the couple looks at three houses and buys one: The production company would have to follow most people around for months in order to get the house the couple finally buys. And too much of it made no sense...how Love It or Leave It always ran into so many unexpected problems that should have been clear before they started. It seemed like HGTV was taking me for a fool so I Googled something like "fraud" for some of the shows and found out how much they are contrived and misrepresented. And the Property Brothers...those two spend too much time playing cute with each other. I guess I am looking for more meat in the program and less contrived entertainment. But again, probably the biggest turn-off was the same formula being used time after time. For all its success, HGTV certainly uses little creativity on a day-to-day basis.

tooky58 agradeció a Dan
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 7 años

ecpt, I had forgotten those two shows and I really enjoyed them.

They would copy a room that cost $90,000 to complete and do it for $4,000.00...something like that and remember?... the designer of the expensive room was always there to comment on the finished product? It was fun and pleasant and no one had any issues.

The backyard fix up...boy I wish they would come to my back yard now. We have an enclosed pool area which is very nice. Behind the fence, in the back, is mean, mean. We can't grown grass for some reason (of course, I am ignoring the fact that Cape Cod is an island of sand). I scroll through houzz landscaping ideas, but to no avail.

tooky58 agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    tooky58 agradeció a The Joshua Tree Vanities
  • artsyphartsy_home_maker
    hace 7 años

Love it, especially the 'Bro's'. I watch the same repeated episodes over and over again just so I can study the finished kitchens during the big reveal at the end over and over again to get ideas --love their decorating style choices!

tooky58 agradeció a artsyphartsy_home_maker
  • chiflipper
    hace 7 años

Remember when the shows had the original programs from the BBC? Those were really good; how to clean up tiling, old hearths, woodwork.

tooky58 agradeció a chiflipper
  • geo55
    hace 7 años

Used to love HGTV. It's really gone downhill. It should be called BSRETV; BullSh** Real Estate TV. Shows follow an unrealistic formula. All new homeowners want granite countertops and stainless steel appliances and basically, have no taste. All reno shows feature blowing out the walls, installing a support beam, and the obligatory barn door and then show it all completed in record time with furniture from China.

tooky58 agradeció a geo55
  • G
    hace 7 años
    So Bev, do you like HDTV or not? I couldn't tell by your reply...
    tooky58 agradeció a G
  • Susan Mooney
    hace 7 años

I have to say I love HGTV. Flip or Flop is my favorite. I love how Christina and Tarek interact with eachother. They crack me up sometimes. I also love watching their little girl (and now new baby boy) grow up. I follow them on facebook too! Beautiful people inside and out :)

tooky58 agradeció a Susan Mooney
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Flip or Flop IMO is the worst show on HGTV. Kind of a one note program. It's the same story every time.

At least with the real estate programs, I've learned about other places in the world where I'd like to live.

Miss viewing Curb Appeal and some creative solutions presented. Property Brothers can be interesting, but they may be overexposed now.

What becomes so apparent in watching these programs is that people have way too much stuff and have no ability to organize their homes. Really depressing.

tooky58 agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • pleballerina
    hace 7 años

I like to see houses in their "before" states, and how they're decorated, remodeled, etc., but the staged "ignorance" portrayed in some of the shows is irritating to the point where I don't look forward to watching the programs anymore. For example, if you're going to buy and flip a house in a community with an HOA, surely you have enough sense to research what paint colors are approved before spending thousands of dollars to have the house painted. Or if you're in the market for a house, don't expect to get into a desired neighborhood or stay in your own neighborhood if you're are not willing or can't afford to pay for it. Or, if your top priority really is the school district, you need to tell your real estate agent not waste your time (or theirs) looking at properties outside the district's boundaries.

HGTV...meh. I can take it or leave it. I only watch when nothing else is on.

tooky58 agradeció a pleballerina
  • anan2012
    hace 7 años

There are no original ideas on that channel. Just personality-free trends and product placements.

tooky58 agradeció a anan2012
  • Dan
    hace 7 años

Don't get me started on Flip or Flop! Tarek bemoans every project as it takes miserable, unexpected and costly turns, and they (he, mostly) know they will lose their shirts on the deal and be forced into bankruptcy, then make a handsome profit at the end of each episode. Time after time!!! Then there's Joanna and Chip. Chip comes off as such a dufus you wonder how Joanna ever got together with him and, worse yet, has stuck by his side all this time and let him father her children. He must be more together than the show's producers direct him to be...empty-headed but amiable. Either that or Chip just takes the place of a pet dog or cat in Joanna's life. It's too bad. It would only take a few really talented people in HGTV management to turn things around and make it look like the channel isn't taking us all for suckers. What'd I tell you!!!??? Don't get me started!!!!!!!!!

tooky58 agradeció a Dan
  • Lys
    hace 7 años

I like Canadian HGTV shows. I even continued watching them after moving to the US. My favourites were probably Open House Overhaul, about making a place pretty for minimum money, and I Wrecked My House, about the types of renovations people do when all they have is spray foam, duct type, and no knowledge whatsoever. The host of I Wrecked My House is really funny, and being a Canadian show, the people get very sympathetic treatment. And the first show actually taught me to look behind "spit and polish" to the bones of the house, which may or may not have been its intention :) I cannot stand the House Hunters-type shows.

tooky58 agradeció a Lys
  • tooky58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Dan, so funny but true!

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    hace 7 años

Fixer Upper is the best one on there right now. HGTV needs more of this type of shows as that is what it's suppose to be! Not realtor shows! DIY is better!

Ken

tooky58 agradeció a Mountain MT Homes LLC
  • PRO
    tooky58 agradeció a The Joshua Tree Vanities
  • User
    hace 7 años

I am enjoying the DIY show "Flipping Nashville" because it features a guy doing the smashing and rehabbing and uses a delightful designer to dictate finishes, colors and décor. The guy doesn't have to take his shirt off and the designer showcases sources for her choices.

tooky58 agradeció a User
  • carolkelley
    hace 7 años
    One thing I hate about Property Brothers is when they have to remove a toilet Jonathan has the couple bag up a water filled toilet to throw out. He doesn't bother to empty the water out first! I learned how to do that from watching TOH and it is not hard. They also throw the old fixtures in the dumpster. How wasteful! Recycle them, please.
  • Melody Drinkwater Wagner
    hace 7 años

I <3 all the shows on HGTV! So interesting and I've learned a lot from them.

• Wayne Mason
    hace 4 años

I like the remodels, but not of the high priced homes and remodeling budgets. The normal east coast person cannot pay $200,000, and have a reno budget of $100,000. That is all they seem to have these days, so we are viewing less and less.

• carolkelley
    hace 4 años

@Wayne Mason, i'd like to see HGTV bring some design shows back. Well, LOTS of design shows actually. I subscribe to Sarah Richardson's youtube channel and lots of us Yanks wish we were Canucks as least as Sarah's shows are concerned as I think the HGTV-Canada still airs them. The there are the really old shows like Cash and Cari where Cari did estate sales in Michigan and the one where'd they'd explore the neat things about old buildings. The early days had the Carol Duvall show which was all about handicrafts. I don't think they show any gardening shows either. Those are on DIY and elsewhere. Even Bravo had a gardening show this year. Bring back the old HGTV!

• PRO
    RAW Design & Consulting /RAW Architecture + Design
    hace 4 años

HGTV is pretty predictable now days. There's a lot of repetitiveness in designs at times, and i always felt like a few of the interior designers took their designs right off of pinterest haha! However sometimes I still enjoy watching! Lottery home is one of my favs. I like watching the lottery winners pick a vacation home or new house, and hearing the stories of when they found out they were lottery winners.

• cgtmc
    hace 4 años

Used to watch Fixer Upper all the time.

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

Two versions of Love It Or List It were written by the same person. One with young hosts and the other with more “mature” adult hosts. The scripts are interchangeable. Both shows have an arrogant guy and a b....y woman making snotty remarks. I can’t stand either of them.
    I would love to see Sarah Richardson doing shows again. Smart, nice, talented. Great sidekick in Tommy Smythe.

HGTV is losing viewers because practically everything is reruns. RERUNS OF RERUNS. Fixer Upper was good for a long while if you could get past that goofball Chip.

Hey, HGTV, how about some new shows!?!? Decorating, gardening, landscaping, remodeling, building...surely there is some new talent you can build a year or two of shows around.

• H L
    hace 4 años

I like This Old House on PBS / YouTube. Much better than HGTV, IMO.

• carolkelley
    hace 4 años

@felizlady, Sarah Richardson's shows still come on HGTV Canada. Those of us in the US have to get our fix on Sarah Richardson Design Life and her Youtube channel. If you go to her website, you can subscribe as I did. This summer, she's renovating her island cottage.

On Fixer Upper, I couldn't get past Joanna either. Shiplap has its place (a cottage on the Maine coast), for instance, but it's not on the walls of a ranch house in Waco.

• Ig222
    hace 4 años

HGTV is reality TV, so, while some of their hosts may be knowledgeable, they are all chosen for their onscreen presence and not their talent and the shows are ridiculously formulaic.

I used to like watching it at the beginning, as it was something new, but it is all the same thing from one show to the next (and do not get me started with their real estate shows), and their new shows are more and more ridiculous (Unspouse my house? Really?)

• Marie Johnson
    hace 4 años

Appears I am like a lot of others on this thread, my affinity for HDTV has waned.

I used to be an HGTV junky. Defined by I watched it daily at least a little, on weekends it was airing on the TVs in the house as I did my chores, and I might have even recorded some shows. Now, if nothing else is going on, I flip it on. Agree, it is a lot more of the same.

When I watched more frequently liked Curb Appeal, House and Yard Crashers (pick me) and Flee Market Flip the idea of repurposing and sustainability.

• carolkelley
    hace 4 años

@Marie Johnson, I watched a marathon of Flea Market Flip yesterday on GAC. I've not seen it on HGTV in quite a while. I did appreciate how Lara and one team were just horrified when someone painted some antique mahogany.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.