Houzz Logo Print
sheilaschmitz

What is Your Favorite Kitchen Backsplash Color?

Sheila Schmitz
hace 11 años
What kitchen backsplash color catches your eye? Pick your favorite below, and tell us what you have in your own kitchen now!

Comentarios (71)

• Sue
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I prefer the multi-color tile in the picture just above (with the Dodgers sign and bowl of lemons) any of the solid tile choices. I have always preferred pattern on the backsplash and a less-busy countertop, with simple cabinetry. We currently have a taupe countertop (12"x24" heat-resistant tiles) with a striped, fake-wallpaper painted pattern (cream background, blue with coral & burgundy stripe & gold flecks). The colors complement the furniture and the old-red-brick see-thru fireplace that dominates the LR/DR/kitchen.
  • intoit
    hace 11 años
    Actually, I'm getting bored with all the emphasis on the backsplash as it all seems so trendy. I opted for the aqua because it was flattering to the other surfaces, but there was also something really nice about the unexpected purple.
  • Suzanne Kapusta
    hace 11 años
    Are you kidding? I love them all! Least favorite are the yellow and red.
  • D D
    hace 11 años
    i voted black. i am thinking of doing kitchen with a black and white checkerboard vintage look
  • carolrutha
    hace 11 años
    Just had granite counters installed and shopping for backsplash so I'm interested in all these comments.
  • Laura
    hace 11 años
    I'm with sam0705. I have white marble and glass mosaic.
  • PRO
    Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
    hace 11 años
    I have been selling decorated kiln fired ceramic tiles for back splash and counter tops for many years including 6 full years on ebay. In my experience white standard grade wall tiles are the number one request. They are reasonably priced, easy to locate for purchase, clean looking, and home owners are completely satisfied with the finished results after installation.
  • studio10001
    hace 11 años
    Marmoleum. I only use tile for kickplates.
  • aniluap2
    hace 11 años
    I chose green but have a honed Carrera subway tile blackplash with a black and white mable check trim with a noned absolute black granite countertop. Depending on the kitchen style I love green sea glass subway tiles or moss green glazed morrocan tiles
  • Anne Marsh
    hace 11 años
    my yellow tiles are from stoneandpewteraccents.com and they are a different version of the blue tiles you selected in your top image . i LOVE them .
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    hace 11 años
    In the examples you've given they all work. Unfortunately not everyone has the knack to pull a colour scheme and style together and end up with garish combinations.
    My backsplash are white subway tiles and white grouting. Our floor is a natural blue stone and lime stone combined. The wooden countertops ofset this beautifully and brings in warmth and cosiness.
  • Ed
    hace 11 años
    None of the vote-able choices. For our bathroom and kitchen, we extend the Corian counter tops to become the backsplash. Kitchen Corian is Rice Paper; bathroom Corian is Arctic Ice -- very clean, modern design -- similar to this --
    Mr & Mrs G · Más información
  • heidigreta
    hace 11 años
    I'm still not sure what color backsplash we'll use on our next kitchen remodel. I've been taking my time to look at different ideas. One thing I'm sure of, the busy busy granite countertops just don't appeal to me, especially when paired with a very busy multicolored backsplash. IMO it looks like it clashes. I am more drawn to the dark soapstone counter with little veining, I would want my pop of color on the backsplash in that case. If we go with a silestone that has more color, then a plainer backsplash. I am looking at a more timeless, not trendy, remodel. Putting out the funds for this next project won't be something I'll be able to redo if I get bored with the current trend!
  • handymam
    hace 11 años
    I am actually surprised how many votes there are for green. I love green, but thought I was all alone. At least from what I hear on houzz in the posts.
  • PRO
    Reico Kitchen & Bath
    hace 11 años
    More partial to a blend of colors, which is what I have in my own house. Can't go wrong with the green for me, though for some reason I really liked the red in the red backsplash.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    It really depends on the clients preferences. .
  • Kavi Grace
    hace 11 años
    Oh wow. Does anybody know how I can find that backsplash with the dodgers sign above it? I have been looking for a backsplash for a long time and that is finally the one that is perfect. But now I don't know how to find it! Of course!
  • Julie L
    hace 11 años
    I voted for the yellow because of the overall look of the kitchen. Right now, my kitchen is dark wood & a light stone backsplash.
  • Anne Marsh
    hace 11 años
    kavi grace ....the tiles you love it that pic ...come from ...stoneandpewteraccents.com if you look up this post .....i put my pic on too...i also used them . they are 1x4 glass and are called tozen i think.. you will find them on the website/
    they are approx $30/ sq ft and MUST be professionally installed as you can see through them . hope this helps . they are fantastic tiles . i love mine.
  • Momof5x
    hace 11 años
    I like the last one, the black tiles and the white cabinets. I think because it is similar to what I have right now except I have grey cabinets. My new home has the following and the cabinets etc. will be milky cream -same colour as can be seen in backsplash. This is the only pic I have right now.
  • teeainttelling
    hace 11 años
    Orange yellow red aqua are all colors to be used thirty years from now when laughing at the colors we used in the x-decade
  • alwaysdesigning
    hace 11 años
    in our current house the previous owners used white ceramic handmade looking square tiles with nicely interspersed 3 tiles of 2 tiles of a soft shade of celery green and a handpainted wildflower tile in between. These groups of 3 interspersed throughout breakup the stark white and I used those colors to paint the adjacent dining walls to bring the color in. My new house however will have what I want to enjoy in the coming years, which is a Jeffrey Court stick mosaic in copper and slate.
  • Beth Bevington
    hace 11 años
    I like my faux stainless
  • olldcan
    hace 11 años
    I didn't vote for any of them, my days of cleaning endless grout lines in the kitchen are over. No more I say!!!! I currently have a full height, Black Galaxy Granite backsplash, there is 2 seams in the entire backsplash that have grout and love it. If I were choosing again, It would be full height, with the least amount of seams possible. I would look at granite again but would also consider back painted glass or mirror or a combination of the two. I'm interested in the acid etched frosted mirror that @Michael Richman shared, very nice.
  • susangrodyruben
    hace 11 años
    I have beautiful Armenian-style hand-painted tiles from JerusalemPottery.biz. They are the best part of my home!
  • susangrodyruben
    hace 11 años
    BTW, I've had the backsplash for 5 years and am nowhere close to being tired of it. In fact, everytime I see it, I smile!
  • megen20
    hace 11 años
    I voted for taupe same i have in my kitchen.
  • carolrutha
    hace 11 años
    Obviously mpoulsom is an artist! Beautifully done.
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    hace 11 años
    FANTASTIC ! @mpoulsom
  • PRO
    Michelle Kardolus – Gem Cabinets Ltd
    hace 11 años
    I voted white as it's timeless and classic even though I have blue/grey tile in my own home. Love white/grey marble and glass though!
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    hace 11 años
    Hallelujah - thank you Houzz for not having grey on there!!!! Although the taupe was close but I still like taupe. I voted for the orange although I almost clicked green (because I love green), but I felt the orange strangely stimulated my appetite and also went beautifully with those hardwood floors in a strange but very thoughtful and inspiring way. Now I want to do an orange backsplash!
  • Dee Gould
    hace 11 años
    White subway is what i have...love, love!
  • Sheila Schmitz
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    To those wondering about the multi-colored backsplash in the cover shot: That photo is from Mosaik Design and Remodeling in Portland, Oregon ( http://www.houzz.com/pro/erindavis). The designer says this is a mesh-mounted glass moisac tile from Lunada Bay: To-Zen 1"x4" in "Ahou SIlk". Here's a link to photo page and designer; you can find product tags and other questions and answers here, too:
    Industrial Chic Basement · Más información
  • Kim Ritter
    hace 11 años
    Love the taupe- nice and neutral
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    hace 11 años
    Wow, a lot of folks prefer the classic white subway tile. I voted for the aqua, I'm partial to blues.

We have a really great tile that's called "Liberty", it's a glass backsplash- great for the kitchen. You can view more of the color selections here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/liberty/
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    mpoulsom your back splash is awesome!
  • User
    hace 11 años
    For me, it's not about 1 element. I like all colors and types. Generally speaking, if one uses stone on the countertops, I like glass on the walls.
  • Lady Von
    hace 11 años
    I have tumbled natural stone...and I HATE IT! It reminds me of cheaply built houses from the 1990's. I can't wait to remodel my kitchen.
  • mpoulsom
    hace 11 años
    Thank you Mottles....it was great fun!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    mpoulsom you are welcome. I love mosaics especially glass mixed with ceramic tile. I know this off topic but I just wanted to share a picture that a young art student emailed me. Our Ohio weather would not tolerate this but she lives in southern CA.
  • nanlu
    hace 11 años
    I have taupe travertine subway tile with a picture frame of travertine pencil tiles and slate, pewter and crushed glass mosaics. White subway tile in the bathroom with pale green glass and white marble tile border.
  • Ceci Garcia
    hace 11 años
    Would be interesting to do a survey of the age group, demographics of the 420-plus who voted for white. I voted aqua.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Hi Ceci - I'll go first. I'm 60. I live in Youngstown Ohio and I would say that most of my customers that buy my tiles on "white" or "biscuit" or a cream color variation are most likely close to my age. I sell all over the world though not just Youngstown. Aqua is beautiful .... no doubt....but a preference. The picture that I posted earlier in this thread is a mural that I made for a couple in the UK. Thanks.
  • Ronda Potter
    hace 11 años
    Ceci I am 45 and I voted taupe as you can see above but also posted a pic of my updated kitchen with the marble backsplash. I considered voting aqua as a second choice because my marble backsplash does have aqua undertones. I brought out that aqua in the paint and decor. Win-win!
  • Debra Triplett
    hace 9 años
    I'm looking for a stone and glass tile back splash look
  • chloebud
    hace 9 años
    I'm also a fan of subway tiles in neutral colors that fit the kitchen. They're subtle and classic. I'm not a fan of busy-patterned backsplashes...you walk in the kitchen and it's all you see. Also, they often compete with the patterns in granite counters.
  • PRO
    Third Space Builders, LLC.
    hace 7 años

White backsplashes provide a clean, modern look to any kitchen. Whatever color backsplash you choose, the outcome will turn out to be great regardless!

• tikkitalk
    hace 7 años

I almost disagree with the above as I feel that the backsplash is definitely a great way to add personality to a kitchen. In the end, it's all about the elemental balance.

• PRO
    K&N Appliance Gallery
    hace 7 años

White is always a classic choice!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.