Houzz Logo Print
rmadding

Kitchen remodel on a budget

rmadding
hace 8 años
I want to keep my kitchen cabinets but will replace the counters tops and later flooring. I posted the same kitchen pictures a year or so again and still cannot visually picture what to do. Help please.

Comentarios (121)

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    You could I suppose, or paint the walls a soft color to go with the dining space. It would be helpful to see pics of the rest of the room. Do you have a preference for countertop material? Are you keeping your existing appliances? It's odd that the pass thru is off center; is that because of something on the other side or for structural reasons?
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    I like these Ted, especially the different colored islands. Very pretty.
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

HELP - contractor totalled quote incorrectly, now says owe +10,000

Q

(5) comentarios
    @Cruca : Thank you for responding We both signed the original AND a mid-renovations updated contract, and both totalled 40.000. However, at the very end, he recognised an error on the final total, and explained that if I add up all the individual items, it totals 50.000. I understand, but he knew my budget was 40.000, and now because the work is finished, I can't even remove or reduce any of the work. It just seems unfair, because everyone could say that all the time. I trusted my builder, and as it was a printed document, I assumed all his calculations were correct!
    ...Ver más

10 Ideas para organizar una cocina pequeña.

Q

(10) comentarios
    Fantástico! Me parece importante tener en cuenta, cuando organizas estos sistemas de almacenaje al aire (que se vean ) es que hay que tener después mucho orden, intentar buscar vajillas sencillas, y evitar mucho colorido para que todo sea mas neutro y de sensación de orden.
    ...Ver más

The integration of elements complement each other

Q

(1) comentarios
    In this dissertation, we are warned that to renovate a house, so that everyone sarisfecho sits down, it is enough to make some partial feforms and maintain everything that contributes to the personality of the home. If we make such a total change, affecting everything previously existing, it is clear that our home, we cannot feel it easily like ours.
    ...Ver más

remodeling Bath

Q

(0) comentarios
    Kitchen splashback
    ...Ver más
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Ok Ted, the very last pic you posted is good!! Let's get some feedback on that one. If the OP would be willing to do a dark top like this it would go a long way in fitting in the appliances. I like the warmth of the wood floors here to. The only problem is whether or not those cabinets will take a cream paint finish. So before anybody goes deciding on anything that should be determined first.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    I checked the info on this kitchen and the countertops are uba tuba granite. That would look nice because while it is dark it also has green in it and is a lower priced granite.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Sigh, not used to working this way Ted:( I really do love that last kitchen you posted! Rmaddings cabinets would paint up nicely in cream with a dark counter!
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Uba tuba
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Hmm , ok, but I'm a big picture kinda gal;)
  • rmadding
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Ted I really liked the second kitchen photo with the cream cabinets and dark island. I hear what your concern is about the pine being painted. What pro would be best a cabinet maker, painter, or other? Thank you Lyn for your photos. I do not know why the pass through is off center. I wasn't privy to the kitchen design. I bought what I got!
  • PRO
    Sure-Fix Remodeling
    hace 8 años

Are you going for a country look, and that's why you kept the cabinets wood? If this is the reason (something I don't mind at all) then you need to paint the boxes off white like a cream. Something like Sherwin Williams Ivore (you can find it at their store, I would try out their color visualizer if you can't see what I'm talking about. You can find it online on their website.) This will pull the whole kitchen together. Changing the top from white will also help the wood/color look go better together (once again I would go with a cream). White is just too clean of a look when you are putting it in a rustic kitchen style. The other color a lot of rustic kitchens go for is green. Sherwin Williams color Ancient Marble (with a grey green undertone) will make it look congruent.

The picture above is one I got off of the website a while ago. I hope it helps you get some inspirations brewing.

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Good advice Ted. There may be an oil based poly finish on these as they are from the seventies. A pro will test them and be able to proceed from there. In the meantime I am posting a few ideas for colors that may work. They are not too yellow as this should not scream 1975! They are warmer whites though. I did not include White dove; a BM perennial favorite in as much as it would probably read too white for your taste. Louisburg green is a lovely mid tone gray/ green. As I said before, I am a look at the whole picture kinda person so I will do that but keep it to myself for now. Get the advice that you need on your paint job first as that is your obvious first step and you can proceed from there.
  • rmadding
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Ted for the suggestions. I feel much better about how to go about interviewing painters now and SW people are so helpful too. I will be away taking care of Grandaughter for a few days so have to get back back with you when I return. Thanks a bunch.
  • PRO
    RENO SUR MESURE
    hace 8 años

Just change the doors

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    This first kitchen is done in Soft Chamois, the others not sure, may be
    rmadding agradeció a lynartist
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    One of the other colors! You put the color in search and who knows what comes up:( half the designers don't even answer the inquiries ....
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Anyway , I just liked them.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Of course, you can certainly go darker; it is very deceiving looking at these pics as they throw so much light into them when they shoot that the colors are not as they seem! Ted , why do you delete your posts? I went looking for something and poof• it was gone!
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    My downloaded wrong again! It's the second pic that SC.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Because your doors have such a nice profile and warm color a glaze would be nice. If you would like that country look you can have the edges " rubbed" so the wood shows through a bit. The glaze will highlight this and the panel detail and add warmth.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    They should be able to do a sample door for you in the base color of your choice.
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años

Late to the party but you need a jumping off point and you sound ready. Go shopping for a counter top and then find a backsplash to go with the counter top. Then select 3 colors from your countertop/backsplash choices. Find the color that looks best with the counter/ and backsplash. Paint a door panel the three colors you love and see which one you like the best. Then paint the cabinets in one color the walls in another color and use the last color for ceiling or trim. Do flooring next years. Kitchen is done! Enjoy!

Wasatch Kitchen · Más información

Painted Kitchen Cabinets · Más información

Gray painted kitchen cabinets · Más información

Home Extension, Pilgrims Way, Guildford · Más información

Sleek Caulfield · Más información

PS White cream are classic now but so are warm pale ivory, greige, greens, taupe but all light toned. And Black is the new white.

Traditional Kitchen · Más información

Our Work · Más información

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    I was looking for a pic you had posted not to long ago! Boo boo:( I haven't figured out how to delete my posts on my phone. Will try to work on that! Would like to do that too!
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Puremichigan, you may have found a pic of the only knotty pine room that I have ever thought lovely! Congrats!!! Coming from a NE beach town were that stuff is everywhere , and not in a good way mind you; this may be the best example of a well done pine room. Unfortunately, they usually look old and dreary.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    As this is the nature of the beast so to speak it is not unusual. In this case though , we have gone through an awful lot of back and forth already to get to this point and any more rehashing of the issue seems nonproductive. We have agreed( myself included and that's not easy) to take this one step at a time and stay within the OP's comfort zone. Please try to read back and understand their wants here.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Certainly not my intention to drive anyone away:( I think if you go back and read between the lines you can see that we pretty much ran the gamut of choices only to find out that's not what the OP wanted. Just trying to tread lightly is all. Your advice is always so good Puremichigan .
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 8 años

rmadding: The pine will look great painted white (to match the boxes). Just make sure to use a top quality primer so those knots don't bleed through. (Zinsser oil base primer is perfect). I think the island would look great painted in black. Do a quartz countertop and some kind of backsplash and it will look amazing!

rmadding agradeció a Beth H. :
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Thank you everyone, we are having the OP bring a door to a pro to see what finish is on them. Slapping any old primer is not an option. Usually a shellac based primer is used to treat knots but this may already have been sealed with poly. Nite all
  • User
    hace 8 años

I think it's so nice of people to be so caring of this (not saying that you are not caring of other things, but I have not read much)

I hope when I am ready to post my sad house, I might get the same kind, patient responses.

Back to your amazing job, people. Sorry for being off-topic.

• Kathi Steele
    hace 8 años

Missed a few days. A lot has happened.

Ted, Lyn you are doing a great job with gentle yet firm direction. Puremichigan usually does quite well with advice, from my lurking!!, but as you said, we have a lot of chaff that was separated from the wheat! I think you two have given her a solid NOT OVERWHELMING plan.

Ted, anything can be misconstrued! My case in point. I meant no disrespect! It is hard for ya'll to see me laughing as I post things!! I truly enjoy reading the posts and advice, but I also like the interactions! As I am older, I am not sensitive to the nuances of posting...but I am learning!

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    :-)
  • rmadding
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi Ted and Lyn, I'm back. Hope to get a door off to take to the painter and choose paint colors. I will also look at countertops as well. I find granite to be very busy is there a best choice for upkeep and durability on a countertop? One that isn't too pricey. Can my tile be covered with a product that would prevent all that mess of tearing out the old tile? Thanks for your suggestions of colors. I like the cream colors of some of the kitchens you posted. You people are great and so helpful.

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Welcome back! Look forward to hearing about the door.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest Formica. Now before everyone jump on me about this you should all remember that Formica is a fabulous product and they are doing wonderful things with it these days! There is never a one stop solution for everything and I would encourage you to shop the inspiration pages of Houzz under Formica to see what I mean. I have had the same Formica counters in my beach house for over fourth years and they have taken tons of abuse and still look great. Some inspiration pics.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    I meant forty years! :)
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    More
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Of course , do price out some granites such as the uba tuba which are not so pricy and have very little movement. You can also try solid service type material such as corian and the imitators!
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    I would think of replacing the backsplash ; especially on the side wall were the glass doors are. That tile should not come out that far.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Here. Depending on the countertop material you chose you may just want to run it up the back anyway.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Yes it is always a consideration isn't it! It bothers me that the public gets so hung up on one product; right now it's Quartz. Unfortunately a very pricey product. But there are many lovely countertop materials, wood , concrete , corian , and Formica. I do believe that as long as it is done tastefully and the installation is done well many other options can work very nicely! It all depends on the outcome you are looking for and the budget that you have. Of course you bought this house with this kitchen and when you improve it will so much nicer!
  • suezbell
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

If you repaint all the painted surfaces (except ceiling) that are visible in your kitchen -- wall and sides of cabinet, etc. -- something other than stark white -- something that will better coordinate with the color of your wood cabinet doors, that will be a huge improvement. I suggest a tan without any pink or yellowish hue -- a pale brown. Then focus on your floor.

Your cabinet doors look good and as long as they work well, your funds could be better used elsewhere. While your countertops would not have been my first choice because ... grout ... but at least they look good and will go with any color wall and any cabinet and any floor until you have everything else done and the labor and materials for it paid.

• rmadding
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks for the heads up Ted about Granite over tile. I open to a different countertop material though if it all looks good together with cabinet color. If the doors cannot be painted than I need to concentrate on paints colors that will look nicer with the pine doors. I can't see the Forrest for the trees kind of gal. I do have a lot of natural light in the kitchen. Over the Island is a 4x6 skylight that is raised high over the countertop. The nearest stone yard is in Sacramento which is 50 min. from my home so it is not somewhere we are used to traveling too freq. we are definitely not city people. We only have a Home Depot in Placerville Ca. I have to take what I can get at this point in my life boo hoo. If I could visualize paint color's on my cabinets with the pine doors. I do not like the stark white like they are right now but if I can find a color that will look good of course I will want to go that way. The countertops will probably have to come from Home Depot because the delivery costs from Sacramento to hear are very pricey. We do have a BM paint store and a recommended private one that the local painters use so I hope I can find someone who knows about painting over pine as you suggest. Wow there is a lot more to redoing this kitchen than I thought there would be. Thanks for hanging in there with me.
  • rmadding
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    This is the sky light over the island which opens up in the center of the kitchen. I hope you can get an idea from my photo.
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años

My daughter lives in Kalispell MT and did quartz on her counter tops and the fitters suppliers drove over from Spokane and they were the most economical, so yes you can find vendors/workers/suppliers who will come to you. Keep an open mind on your options.

• rmadding
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you Ted for the El Dorado tile website. It has been fun to see the different possibilities.

• rmadding
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Well Ted we looked at the photos of homes in our area and most of the kitchens have updated kitchens. If we don't do any updated our home there sale price would be much less than other homes in the area. We looked at other updates we need especially our master bathroom bathroom tile that is cracked and needs attention as well. The kitchen cabinet doors will be to costly to have painted ant the replacing the kitchen counter tops would be around 15,000 to do. We also need to replace the island cooktop as one of the burners doesn't work. We have to decide whether we want to sink money into updated the house or do some traveling before we no longer can. We got into the house for a price we could afford but not the amount of money we would need to do all the updated needed. All the comments from Houzz has opened our eyes to possibilities and looking at all our options and costs. Thank you all for your input. It all comes down to big chunks of dollars and our future needs and wants. It's hard to have so much potential in the home and not have the funds to bring that about. I can just imagine what this home would look like if you all were remodeling it. The Houzz staff is amazing at what you do !
  • User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Time to either develop some DIY skills, or sell the house before it deteriorates further due to lack of upkeep, and there goes all of your money you spent for it down the drain.

The house note is NEVER the sole cost of owning a home. It's only about 30-40% of homeowner costs. If you aren't prepared for the other 70% of upkeep, repair, and improvement expenses that need to happen, then it's time to get out of ownership and back to a rental. Or a much much cheaper house.

• apple_pie_order
    hace 8 años

If the cracked tiles are in the shower where they get wet, they need fixing right away.

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    So happy we were able to help Rmadding. I'm sure what ever you decide it will be the best decision for you and your family. Best of luck to you.
  • rmadding
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you Lyn.
  • PRO
    GlideRite Hardware
    hace 8 años

If you paint the cabinets, another inexpensive way to update is replacing the cabinet hardware. Take a look at our items:

http://www.houzz.com/pro/glideritehardware/gliderite-hardware

Good luck!

GlideRite Hardware

• PRO
    RENO SUR MESURE
    hace 8 años

HI stop the Madness you need this

not like the photo but the white cabinets

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.