Houzz Logo Print
montinaspeers

Our kitchen

monte
hace 8 años
As you can see my kitchen needs a makeover. With cream colour tiles. A light yellow/cream doors it's time for a change something modernI'm stuck on deciding what colours would go well and won't date. Without having to spend a lot of money on a brand new kitchen. Can you help?

Comentarios (21)

• Vy
    hace 8 años

this one had similar colour tiles to yours

• Conversaciones relacionadas

Pls help with floor plan design

Q

(0) comentarios
    Gm everybody, My wife and me are trying to design our new kitchen, and we are a bit concern about its location in the house. This is a DIY project, so we are looking for opinions. As you can see in the picture, we are creating the kitchen room at the left bottom side and keeping a garden at the left upper. Our first idea was to locate the kitchen close to the living door (upper in the picture) but we would like to mantain the garden. Thanks in advance for any kind of help!! Rodri
    ...Ver más

Which colors are better for a kitchen?

Q

(5) comentarios
    Each kitchen needs one special color, it´s depends of the natural ilumination it has. Same examples of kitchen we design:
    ...Ver más

FULL REFURBISHMENT OF A SINGLE STORY HOUSE IN VALLPINEDA, SITGES

Q

(0) comentarios
    Our team planned a complete renovation of the interior design, bringing the property up to the XXI Century.The central idea of the new design starts by opening the front views of the house to the garden, in order to flood the interior with natural light and, at the same time, to put the focus on the sea views. The living room gets leveled with the rest of the house, articulating itself around the new gas fireplace. An astonishing kitchen island with breakfast area is introduced near the new dinning room, complete with kitchen drawers with oak fronts to hide all the facilities. The different spaces can be separated by a series of sliding doors in solid wood that creates different effects when opened and closed.
    ...Ver más

The integration of elements complement each other

Q

(1) comentarios
    In this dissertation, we are warned that to renovate a house, so that everyone sarisfecho sits down, it is enough to make some partial feforms and maintain everything that contributes to the personality of the home. If we make such a total change, affecting everything previously existing, it is clear that our home, we cannot feel it easily like ours.
    ...Ver más
  • chittering5
    hace 8 años
    I think the idea that colors "won't date" is a funny one- because everyone is different. what sort of colors do you like and think are "timeless"? maybe fresh whites cabinets and just getting the tiles grout cleaned professionally would make a huge difference. and start looking for photos of updated kitchens with ur colored tiles to give u ideas. good luck
  • barebones
    hace 8 años

I think this kitchen needs some contrast and warmth. Maybe replace the doors with some modern timber ones with horizontal lines to give it some texture. It is hard to tell from the photo what area the kitchen opens onto, but maybe the addition of a freestanding, movable island would be a good too.

• barebones
    hace 8 años

And then the walls could be a nice deep charcoal and a new timber blind on the window.

• Debbie Fisher
    hace 8 años

Maybe just change the wall, top cupboard doors and the pantry door, leave the below bench cupboards and draws. (You may just be able to paint the top ones and pantry) Look for a colour that pops and add a new blind not beige. The kitchen looks to be in very good condition. I would take down the hanging pans (I'm not a fan of this) and if your microwave is old look for one with a bit more chrome/stainless across the front to blend better with the oven. You could also change the handles that always makes a difference. I agree a movable island would look super perhaps with a timber top.

• dohraime
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Black and white is regarded as "timeless". You already have elements of that combo with the Black benches and b&w splash back. Easiest change would be to paint cabinet doors white (or off-white so not too stark against floor tile). Or have them removed and professionally painted off site.
    If the doors are standard sizes, you could replace with new. You'd need to factor in the end pieces of cabinetry. My parents replaced all doors then just got paint colour-matched to do the ends.

Does the tile continue into other areas? If not, you could do new flooring directly over tile if you wanted to change that. 3mm thick tiles or vinyl planks (kinder on feet and joints) perhaps. If not planning to change flooring, a indoor/outdoor floor mat is easy way to change things up.

• georgi02
    hace 8 años

Hi, To avoid the cost of a new kitchen use paint and cheaper fixes to update it.

If your cabinets are in OK condition - you could think about getting some laminate paint (White Knight do one) and painting them but I'd do the walls first (I'm into more bang for less work lol).

Every colour will date to some degree as the colours that are popular at a particular time are associated with that period (peach and terracotta colours for the 80's, mission brown for the 70's etc) - a warm grey or a light caramel/milk coffee could work.

My first step would be painting your walls with a warmer colour - from the photos it looks like it's got a slightly green hue - think about a paint in a warm light caramel colour (I'd do this first and leave painting the cabinets to see if changing the walls makes the cabinets blend better as painting the cabinets with laminate paint is a bigger job).

Because your floor tiles are light and seem to be cream with dark grout (the cream matches your cabinets and the tile works with your countertop) but your tile splashback is white that doesn't match with anything (the line of tiny tiles dates your splashback as well). If your kitchen was mine would be to re-tile your splashback with a long rectangular glass mosaic laid in a brickwork pattern (you buy them by the sheet) - use Epoxy grout as it makes cleaning a million times easier) that will blend with your cabinets and floor tiles (remembering that subtle shade changes and light colours will add to the illusion of space while high contract colours or dark colours can define and reduce the illusion of space). I'd suggest re-tiling instead of using tile paint on this area because of the amount of cleaning you do on splashbacks.

Good luck.

• dohraime
    hace 8 años

georgi02, I normally suggest epoxy grout also but have never used it before. Have you? I'm curious about how easy or difficult it is to use.

• georgi02
    hace 8 años

Hi Dohraime, I had it used in our bathroom - it was an extra $80sqm on top of the regular tiling costs and I had floor to ceiling wall tiles on all four walls and the floor done - I insisted upon it. There was no negotiating on this - and when we do the kitchen that'll be epoxy as well. It is brilliant - the cons are that the tiler needs to work quickly and work in small batches and it's physically harder work as the epoxy grout is stiffer than regular grout and you need to clean up immediately otherwise your tiles can have hazing which is why you pay so much more. I would advise that on the day that it's done - be there and hover, cleaning the tiles (and only the tiles) to a pristine finish - this is what I did and I'm so glad I did.

• dohraime
    hace 8 años

I had read about tilers not too keen using it and can steer people away from it. I suppose it takes some getting used to.

I wonder if you can use regular grout then a layer of epoxy grout on that after it's dry. That way only a thin amount is used and possibly quicker to apply and clean up. I *may* have read a while back that they could be mixed also, but my memory is sketchy.

• georgi02
    hace 8 años

Short answer to your double grouting question is "no" because it needs to be able to adhere to something which is the void between the tiles and doing what you suggest doesn't serve a purpose.

The reason why some tilers try to steer people away from it is simple "time = money" and requires attention to detail and to physically make sure the grout doesn't have bubbles as it sets fast (and requires them to move faster than normal). You should never have to re-grout a wall/floor that has been grouted with epoxy - so think of the financial ramifications for some less scrupulous tilers and why they'd push standard grout.

• PRO
    Mondo Stone & Glass Works Pty Ltd
    hace 8 años

If you our just looking to do a face lift, my suggestion is to re- laminate all existing doors and flush finish panel to a timeless Antique white, which will not out date, and replace tops to a quartz stone and remove tiles, or simply go onto your tiles with glass splashback. When going onto tile splashback, a onsite consultation will be required to ensure this is the best and efficient cost for your project. We can take care or everything for you. Visit our website at mondostoneandglassworks.com.au. Contact us if you wish to have a onsite consultation.

Kind Regards

Pasquale

Mondo Stone & Glass Works Pty Ltd

• Elwood Hindley
    hace 8 años
    Wood and white is timeless.
    If you don't want to replace the cabinets, just replace the doors.
    Having said that it looks like the kitchen was originally custom made and replacing the doors would cost a few thousand.

Perhaps start by choosing your floor colour and type. Floating floors are incredibly durable and come in fabulous finishes.please avoid shiny faux wood tho, this can really cheapen the look.

If you have to keep the tile floor at least regroup it to match in with the style and cover most of it with an island.

I rebuilt our kitchen using IKEA flat pack, the quotes ranged from $35k to $30 k. I spent $4,200.00 inc the oven and I now have the option to replace the doors and draw fronts anytime I like. They also use Blum steel draws with soft closing options which are the best quality any kitchen maker can offer, only at a much cheaper price.

This room is desperate for an island bench with either seating or outward facing shelves or cupboards.

To answer your question you need to decide on what style the rest of the house is or will be first.
    Is it contemporary ? Traditional etc? Choose your base colours, materials etc there first, then look at your kitchen. This can make the process easier.

If there are small children in the home durable doors that are easy to clean is the first thing to consider.
    IKEA and other companies make a vinyl wrap door in gloss that's easy to clean and takes a lot of "man wear". This again will limit your colour choices.

Personally I love charcoal for the lower doors and draw fronts with frosted glass or white for the upper doors, timber floating shelves.
    Counter tops in faux concrete stone for a contemporary look or white faux stone with a fleck have become the new classic choices.

Choose a classic tile or material for your splash back and don't rush this, it can be done at anytime. Take the splash back to the ceiling and loose some of the overheads along the back wall to open the room up. Replace with some floating timber shelves all finished in 2 X pak or resin epoxy, never use just polyurethane in wet areas.

Overall first think about your textures that you love and then let that help you choose your colour palette, no more than 3 X colours for your kitchen.

If you go with timber finishes, always match your wood colours in the shelves, counter tops and floors.

Have fun and remember this is your kitchen, you have to live with it so follow your gut when choosing colours and finishes. I like to ask myself when choosing a material, "will I still like this in 10years time?" If my immediate answer is yes I go with it and use it as a starting point.
  • PRO
    Designer Guru Interior Designs
    hace 8 años

Hi, yes you have a dilemma, but it can be fixed! Remove all the cupboard doors, panels and skirting and replace them with gloss white doors, panels and skirtings. By doing this it will not only transform your kitchen, but it will also lighten up your kitchen! Whites, blacks, browns (beige), greens and grey's are a great colour combination. If you change the doors and everything else I mentioned, you will be surprised by the differences it makes to your kitchenKaboodle door panels etc.

• deewb
    hace 8 años

As said above changing the doors would be great. If you like a more classical look, here's a picture. Having overhead cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling creates a more streamlined, polished finish. Your kitchen looks like a friend of mine's who built with Newstart.

• Kazwa
    hace 8 años
    I had cabinets like this and my painter recommended freshening them up with a white gloss... Best decision. You can then go white or whatever colour you like on the walls. At an absolute minimum, Clean the tile grout.... It's amazing the difference this makes.
  • monte
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    The grout is concrete I've tried everything to clean it still comes up the same. I love the idea of white gloss thank you
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

There are companies that do "re-painting" of existing cabinets and they do a wonderful job - maybe introducing some colour will oomph it up a bit and distract from the tiles?

• robandlyn
    hace 8 años

It is impossible to clean old grout - needs to be resealed by a professional. We had it done in our last house and it made a huge difference - we could choose the colour of the new grout seal and chose a lighter colour - looked like a whole new floor afterwards.

• georgi02
    hace 8 años

You can get trout paint from your local hardware store - it's in the grouting aisle - I've used the white one and it came up a treat - I would recommend putting a sealer over the top.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.