lydiahoza

Pros and cons of a schulter edge

hace 8 años
Hello. We are building a modern home and, in the bathrooms, the contractor proposed a schulter edge (on edges of glass tile in the shower in the master and framing in pental tile in the guest baths). I know very little about tile installation. Any big pros or cons off the top of your heads?

Comentarios (24)

• hace 8 años

Probably because your tiles are glass, therefore very delicate. Also, for decorum, especially with a modern look. It will create sleek lines.

One con I can think of is corrosion issues if you select the metals. To avoid this, select PVC instead. If you do choose metal, at least make it the stainless steel as it will be the one with the highest resistance to corrosion (as compared to brass or aluminum).

Hope that helps.

• hace 8 años
    That helps a great deal. Thank you!
  • hace 8 años
    For me, too many grout lines.
  • hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Please don't use any plastic trims as recommended above. Something you would find in a service station bathroom does not belong in your shower! Yikes. I saw another recommendation a while ago of facing the edge of a side wall with solid surface material such as marble (even Corian would work) to avoid have sometimes not well-matched metal trim. If you do go with metal however be sure to chose the right color and the right metal (i.e. Chrome vs pewter vs ...).

Contemporary Bathroom Mix · Más información

• hace 8 años
    Thank you rusty empire and dremeon. You have both been extremely helpful and made me feel more confident about the decision. We are using aluminum with finishes(chrome like or flat) to match the hardware in the various bathrooms. I really appreciate the input!
  • hace 8 años
    I meant Drememon...
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

The metal trims from schluter I have been using for years with no issues of corrosion please no plastic that just looks cheap.

Lydia Hoza agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • hace 8 años

PS: I should have added this - make sure your tile person is using a fresh blade in the wet saw. A dull blade is often the culprit for the messy cuts one sees often here on the forum. A flawless corner (sans metal edge) like the example posted is the hallmark of a craftsperson using the right tools.

Lydia Hoza agradeció a User
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

We have been specifying Schluter trim for over 15 years, their line of products has been a huge asset to the tile and design industry. Our clients love it... clean installations and no bulky trim pieces.

Lydia Hoza agradeció a Delicious Kitchens & Interiors, LLC
  • hace 8 años

I agree the plastic looks cheap which is why I said go with the stainless steel if you do choose the metal. The aluminum is the worst metal, having the highest level of corrosion likelihood out of the three metals (stainless steel, brass, aluminum) you can choose from... but best of luck. I really hope it works out well for you!

• hace 8 años

Schluter is available in coated brass, aluminum, anodized aluminum, stainless and plastic. I made my choices based on exposure to elements and chemicals. Schluter makes good products. Talk to their rep.

Some of our interior Schluter is plain aluminum, some anodized. Some stainless. I wouldn't have been unhappy with aluminum anywhere indoors, actually, as we don't use a lot of abrasive cleaners or strong chemicals in our home. (allergies and sensitivities.)

Aluminum is definitely softer than stainless, if that's a consideration, and it requires cleaning mortar and grout away immediately. But, that's also true with stainless. Probably with plastic, too. Concrete (mortar, grout, etc.) is corrosive when wet.

Great product, and a great look. I'm totally happy with the look, and cleanability.

• hace 8 años
    So far, so good
  • hace 8 años
    Guest baths
  • hace 5 años

Hi I have just been reading this with interest, I am in a similar decision to make, I was thinking would metal trim rust over time or become more dull?

• PRO
    hace 5 años

Tile trim metal doesn't rust. They thought of that.

• hace 5 años
    It's a 2 year old post ! Shouldn't it be removed ?
  • hace 2 años

No because I found it very relevant today.

• hace 2 años

@ HU: Agree! This old post was very helpful to me yesterday. Went ahead with this edge and it looks beautiful, clean and modern.

• hace 2 años

I have a quick question about the Aluminum Schluter profiles, I have only used the Stainless up to this point, how does the Aluminum hold up to cleansers that might be used in a shower? Does the Aluminum turn dull? Things like tilex, X-14 etc.

• hace 2 años

You should only ever need to use dawn, vinegar and baking soda mixed with water in showers.

Boil one part vinegar then put in second part dawn then let it cool and put in a glass spray bottle.

Sprinkle baking soda on tough stains the spray mixture on and scrub lightly with a soft brush.

For maintenance simply spray that mixture on areas of your shower that get dirty including glass and rinse or wipe it off.

Gentle on metals and won't let corrosion build up.

• hace 2 años

Why does it need to be boiled vinegar? wondering if fhis is a trick to stink up my house.😂

• PRO
    el último año

chemical reaction ? IDK

I do know that boiling water, aluminum foil, baking soda will remove tarnish from silver.

• el último año

I stuck with the Stainless in the shower. On the outside edges I used the aluminum. Thank you for your suggestions I like to spray and go. I used the new grout they have out now and the shower stays pretty clear of mildew.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.