Houzz Logo Print
lww89

Ideas to freshen up the exterior and entry of this home.

Lance
hace 11 años
Please give me your ideas to make the front of the house fresh and updated. Should I change the siding? Like to a single siding? I do not like the front door and would like add a small entry porch or something. Let me know what you think and what changes you would make. Thanks.

Comentarios (29)

• ilovewesties
    hace 11 años
    Add more landscaping leading up to the front stairs on each side. It could taper into the yard. (wish I could draw you a picture.) Something with color, maybe pinks? Boxwood's would be nice also. A larger light fixture that has a statement and add something tall in your planters, even sticks with some greens at the bottom. What about a different style door? Or paint it a different color to give it some pop.
    Perhaps painting the side railings black to make them stand out.
  • libradesigneye
    hace 11 años
    Your home is beautiful, and the colors of siding and shutters are beautiful with the brick. You want a front door with one large pane of glass divided by a cross to echo your beautiful windows and I'd suggest painting it out a dark red to echo the tones in your brick. If you have the capacity, you can deepen and widen your front porch across the width of the recess, so as to place a bench beside the front door. This isn't so simple though - one challenge is that you will need to reroute your gutter which now returns to the brick wall behind, though that isn't hard. You will want to widen your stairs to the right as well. Where you must add railings, I'd choose square deck railing posts in siding or shutter tone instead of metal. and change fixture out to oil rubbed bronze.
    See image 28 http://www.soorikianarchitecture.com/OutdoorLiving.html found on houzz exterior door inspiration. If you are doing a big front porch thing - you need an architect like them.
  • Tom Caltabiano
    hace 11 años
    Beautiful house! Think about adding some outlined flower beds using stacked stones, and brighter landscape will spruce it up!!.

Also remember this time of the season when the grass is dead the color contrast with your house and lawn will look drawn out.

This house also needs a RED DOOR!
  • DIAspoton
    hace 11 años
    widen the porch to the lenght of the recess. replace brick with stacked stone. change single door to a walnut stained or painted black double door with beveled glass. updated light fixtures on each side of doors.no railings.
    i'm not sure if those are azaleas in the pine island. several deep pink encore azaleas or blue endless summer hydrangea planted there would have big impact. then tie the color in with one large, beautiful container garden using the same color family.place that on the widened porch along with a willow or grapevine settee.

you have a very pretty home. the siding and shutters look fine.
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Wow, I like this. Paint the front door the color of the shutters but a bit deeper. I would not paint the door red as the brick around it appears too brown. You could possibly paint it the color of the brick but deeper.
  • Keitha
    hace 11 años
    Replacing the light fixture with a lantern style that hangs down will make it not look quite so high. Either painting the front door or replacing is a good suggestion and if you could install pavers over the existing sidewalk I think that would make it look more welcoming. Beautiful house with lots of curb already!
  • PRO
    Doors4Home
    hace 11 años
    An Arts & Crafts or Craftsman Style door could give your home a new look. Either Stained a dark color or painted to match your shutters.
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 11 años
    An entrance portico would look great on your home. It would normally have a gable style roof but because you have gables on the windows on both sides I'm thinking a flat roof portico would be best as in the attached photo. A gable portico could also be used but the roof peak of the gable would need to be as tall or taller than the adjacent gables.
    House and Home lottery house · Más información

Exterior · Más información

Exterior · Más información
  • mdamron61
    hace 11 años
    Changing the door with a different style and color would be my first choice. Siding? Replace with stucco and add a nice header type crown mold above each window and a complimentary window sill. Also maybe installing an awning at the entrance?
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 11 años
    I like the colors of the siding & trim. Unless the siding needs replacement, I don't think I would change it. Maybe paint the door the same color as the shutters.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    hace 11 años
    I think you need a door with 2 panels, new brass hardware and new stair railings and ballusters.
    Also a new light fixture that is a bit larger.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    hace 11 años
    I think you should put a new aged brass light up and a glossy 2 panel door with baldwin or emtek mortise lock. A great clean door knocker. You also need stronger stair railings-I'd do the wood over the metal. Also your walkway would be great if it were pavers and you need some stronger landscaping in front of the house, and a darker roof would make all your paint colors on front pop more. Black is classic for homes like this.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with your charming home. It just needs some landscaping like the one I've doodled. Since you seem to be in a woodland setting and the trees cast shade I would suggest some beautiful blooming broadleaf evergreens such as Azaleas near the entrance. Curve a bed on either side of the house sweeping down to the walkway and fill it with shade loving plants such as hostas, carex, hellebores, ferns, and annuals etc. Since the walkway is a prominent part of the landscape I would remove the currect concrete and have a nice brick installed.
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    hace 11 años
    LOVE the second option ourfarmhouse! so much outdoor living space with all of the great landscaping and wrap around porch. It welcomes you to the new grand entryway..great job!
  • DIAspoton
    hace 11 años
    great job ourfarmhouse . what design software is this? is it easy to use?
  • ourfarmhouse
    hace 11 años
    Thanks, DIAspoton. It's good ol' Photoshop.
  • Lance
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thank you all for your great suggestions. Wow ourfarmhouse, your images look fantastic! One problem is that the front door can not really change much in size. The staircase is smack up against the front door on the right upon entry. A double door is not feasible and the single door can not move from its current location. I love the ideas of a portico/porch, but would like to see what it looks like with the single door in the same location. Thank you so much for you help.
  • User
    hace 11 años
    What about a beautiful little lantern? Try Lantern & Scroll (www.lanternandscroll.com or find them on Facebook) Cheers!
  • PRO
    Martin Cleaning
    hace 11 años
    Pressure washing the concrete walk will make nice difference. Stain it if you like and then seal it to keep it looking good for years.
  • PRO
    DJSquire Designs
    hace 11 años
    Good imaging job... ourfarmhouse... what software are you using?
  • PRO
    DJSquire Designs
    hace 11 años
    Just read... PhotoShop... a pain for homeowners to use. ;-D

For contractors, look into the one I use... Depiction Software Hardscape and Imaging software:
    http://www.hardscapesoftware.com/Imaging-Software_Paver-Contractor.aspx

Or... for 3D landscape/hardscape projects, visionscape.com.
  • PRO
    Monarch Stone International
    hace 11 años
    Add some contrast by replacing the brick porch with stone; granite or other natural stone material available in a variety of shapes and sizes.
  • PRO
    Elegant Tile and Stone
    hace 11 años
    The front walkway would definitely liven up and add curb appeal to the house with natural stone pavers. From our collection I would recommend the Silver Travertine Paver option. The front stairs could also be redone in 6' Silver travertine treads making the entrance to your home really stand out. It also increases property value, is low maintenance, long lasting and looks far more elegant than any concrete or brick. If this is a place you are going to put your heart into then travertine pavers are the way to go.

http://eleganttileandstonenj.com/travertine-pavers/

Silver Travertine Paver Walkway
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    hace 11 años
    Love the Photoshop work..really great. But in reality, I suggest a very large black iron lantern light fixture. New porch that runs across the space to the wall, leaving the stairs where they are and use black iron rail across the front (newly extended area and down the steps. Maybe an interesting railing design. Paint the shutters and front door black or a very dark charcoal gray. Add a black bench against the wall with the door. You can also replace the front door with a standard 6 panel with the top two in windows.
  • PRO
    MyCraftWork, LLC
    hace 11 años
    A nice lantern would go a long way!
  • redoredone
    hace 9 años

I'm amazed at these transformations, ourfarmhouse! I'm quite a visual person and this brought to light some lovely options, especially the second one! Thank you!

• PRO
    Urbilis
    hace 8 años

Replacing the lantern with an address-number wall planter would also be a great option

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.