Houzz Logo Print
paulk721

Long/Narrow Family Room

paulk721
hace 8 años
Our family room is adjacent to our kitchen and is separated by a half partition. It's a long and narrow space so I'm wondering if there's a better layout than the one we currently have. We also would ideally need to find a space to hang a TV. Would it looks strange over the fireplace?

Comentarios (29)

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

I would not hang TV over FP. Would be too high for good viewing. I would leave sofa where it is and swing loveseat around facing FP and put TV across from sofa by door. There should be room to enter seating area on left by door. Put end table and lamp at end of sofa so loveseat and sofa have access to it. Get an area rug in front of seating and perhaps an ottoman for putting up feet.

• Elle
    hace 8 años

I would suggest placing the loveseat perpendicular to the sofa (facing the fireplace) and putting the T.V. on the left wall. (I think the T.V. would be too high for viewing if placed above the fireplace.)

• paulk721
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks for the feedback! Susan2924, by door do you mean the deck door or the door on the right hand side of the picture?
  • mdenton2014
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Susan's description is exactly how we dealt with ours. It's very cozy especially when the fireplace is going. This is the family room so it is very well lived in. But, we also have a formal living room without t.v. (And kids aren't allowed to play in there).

• paulk721
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Mdenton - thanks for the picture! Do your two couches touch on the arm? Our couches are pretty big...wondering if they're too big for this space...
  • mdenton2014
    hace 8 años

They do touch and I put the table right in the nook where they meet. (We tried to match a couch we bought 8 yrs ago. So they obviously aren't a pair, but again it's a family room so we don't care.)

• PRO
    Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
    hace 8 años

Long and narrow living room spaces are always a challenge. However, your room as character that I think would be really nice to play up on. Yes, a tv above your F/P would be appropriate and beneficial for the space restraints. You would most probably need to loose or lower the existing mantel to do so which may work in your favor to hide an electrical box and cords within a newly built mantel.

As for your seating arrangement; I always start my design process with a beautiful area rug first and foremost to set the tone. For your space I would then suggest a pair of slightly oversized and comfortable bergere chairs with smaller ottomans (perhaps in a floral, stripe or geometric pattern) to flank your fireplace with. Then use your existing love seat floating in the space facing your F/P with a skinny console table behind it and a tufted ottoman in front of your love seat to use as a coffee table.

• paulk721
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks again everyone, your feedback means a lot and is saving my sanity.

Leanne, thank you for your suggestions! I am a bit stumped on what kind of area rug would fit in this room. I attached a photo of how I decorated the mantle today but am open to placing a TV up there too. I agree the mantle would have to be lowered though. We are also thinking of changing the wall color - perhaps to a gray? Would you (and anyone else too!) have any recommendations on an area rug style and wall color? Thank you again!
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

pretty simple paul, to swing the loveseat around to see if it fits. Right? I like the mantle arrangement. I might take off those 2 smaller objects by mirror. They really don't enhance the mantle and will just make it like a little cluttered.

Regarding the rug. Not sure what size you need. Swing the smaller sofa around facing FP and then measure the length of the floor a few inches past the front legs and then straight down the front of the sofa to FP. That should give you the width and length of the rug you'll need. I can send some options for a rug that will look good in space. Are your sofas grey?

• susan2494
    hace 8 años

I meant put TV on wall by deck door. On the left looking into room.

• paulk721
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Our couches are a lot of light green. I want to say they're sage maybe - like a light green gray. Thanks again!
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

OK, I'll look for some rugs and you check for rug size and see if the loveseat will fit next to the sofa. I'll check back in am. Late here.

• PRO
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging
    hace 8 años

Sorry to disagree with everyone here.... but I do this for a living (model homes)..... the TV is not too high over that fireplace. I've placed them much higher....especially outdoors.

It appears as though your loveseat won't work facing the fireplace....you need to try it and let us know, of course..... but it looks like its going to be too tight.

I'll try to find photos of a good configuration and post them for you. The photos I've attached here are just to show the TVs over fireplaces :)

Summit - Builder Model · Más información

Ancala Country Club Remodel · Más información

Las Brisas · Más información

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Found one.... and just happens to be my work :) and that is a TV over the fireplace. Same configuration because the loveseat is on the smaller wall, as in your home, This room is pretty small.... I pulled it together with a solid rug....you may want a comfy shag. And a nice rectangular cocktail table or cocktail ottoman. Your taste is great btw.... your furniture and accessories look great!

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Sorry.... I'm not able to upload the photo I just referred to. I'll try tomorrow :)

• traveler47
    hace 8 años
    this is what I came up with for your space. had to find sofas with the color that almost matched yours.
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

Wow.... impressive! Nice traveler47 :)

• PRO
    Fusion9 Design LLC
    hace 8 años
    From an AV perspective the mantle TV height is too high, this will cause neck strain unless lying down on the couch, and will limit the size of TV as well.
  • PRO
    Fusion9 Design LLC
    hace 8 años
    From an AV perspective the TV over the mantle is just too high, it will cause neck strain unless you are lying down and limit the size of the TV. Plus a mantle serves the purpose of deflecting heat, so removing that is not a good idea.
  • PRO
    Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
    hace 8 años

If you intend on using this room daily for television viewing placing the tv as previously discussed will be fine above the f/p if you lower your mantel. However, you will not want your sofas facing each other opposite the walls. I say this because you'll not be happy having to look to one side over your shoulder to see the screen, trust me on this. This is why I suggested using your smaller love seat facing your f/p (so you can still walk around the space). If this is just a sitting room where TV viewing is limited then perhaps the strain to view isn't as important (?) I would suspect you're intention is to use the room more often than not.

as for rugs...

Depending on how casual you are.. Perhaps suggesting something interesting... such as an antique or semi-antique Oushak, Turkish weave, Moroccan shag or even something geometric .. but not trendy.. would be nice for your space. Something exciting with a bit of red, something more subtle in blues, greens and tans, you could even consider layering something shag over a pattern or jute weave... Either way have fun with your choice. Think of your rug as art. It's that important to set the tone for the room.

• traveler47
    hace 8 años
    Leanne, I agree
  • traveler47
    hace 8 años
    yes, the mantle will need to be lowered. for the Tv's sake
  • PRO
    Fusion9 Design LLC
    hace 8 años
    Proper TV placement is at just above eye level, the over the fireplace the worst placement unless there is no other option . I'm a AV integrator, CEDIA certified, CEDIA outreach instructor designer, smart home and home theater expert, I deal with these arrangements everyday. The TV on the wall by the sliding door is the best placement. "Form must ever follow function" not the other way around.
  • susan2494
    hace 8 años

@fusion9, I see the elves have been busy while I was sleeping :>) I am not a pro, but it is just common sense about the TV. I am always hesitant in asking a HO to replace what seems to be perfectly good furniture, but the one time I will do it is when the arrangement for the room with their furniture demands that the TV goes over the FP. Surprisingly, most HO do "get it" and are willing to make adjustments with a piece of furniture. If they insist , then of course, bottom line they live there. I appreciate your professional expertise in not automatically suggesting that they "Hang the TV over the FP" to resolve every issue that addresses a TV and FP dilemma.

• PRO
    Window Elegance & Interiors, LLC
    hace 8 años

We agree with the TV on the door wall - if the loveseat feel too big, try a chair and ottoman. The mantel decorations you created look much more inviting than a huge TV :)

• inabunker
    hace 8 años

Sorry, didn't read all the posts. If it were me, I would not have the 2 couches - too much for the small space. 1 couch will do and may some comfy light looking chairs. I would hang the t.v. above the f.p. too. That way, you don't have such a "bulky" and "crammed" look.

• PRO
    Fusion9 Design LLC
    hace 8 años
    A sectional would work also, but the above fireplace is top high even if you lower the mantle which wouldn't be that much lower to stay in fire code. Then only good way to do above fireplace is with low profile linear gas fireplaces. Also TV installation will be much easier on the wall than above the fireplace.
  • paulk721
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone! Waiting for my husband to get home so we can try out some of the suggested layouts. Will report back!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.