Houzz Logo Print
view16

Area rug too much?

view16
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
Downsizing to condo. If I keep rug, should I choose a corresponding rug for dining area or go solid. Small area, but large windows.

Comentarios (70)

• PRO
    Floortrends Ltd
    hace 9 años

I really like your rug (the second photo shows the pattern & colours much better!) and I wouldn't get rid of it. That being said as a few people have suggested it might be a bit big for the space with the way you currently have it arranged. I would also try moving the rug closer to the hearth and if possible the couch back a bit so that it doesn't stick out behind and beside the couch. Or you could try positioning it at an angle to mix it up a bit. I think having the back legs of the couch on the rug is what's making it look a little too big for the space and by re-positioning it in the room it will help balance it out. The room looks really nice with the furniture you have in it and you floors are gorgeous so I wouldn't want to cover them up too much. But, if you do decide to put a rug under the dining room table I also wouldn't go with another similar patterned rug, I would go for something in a complementary colour with a larger and more simple pattern or just a plain solid colour. Best of luck, it looks like a really nice unit.

• Liz H
    hace 9 años
    I'm with sandradclark on the oriental question. I can't resist an attractive tribal rug and disagree that they couldn't be paired beautifully in this room. If that's a look you like, there are several houzz photos that show how some have managed it.
  • leelee
    hace 9 años

The rug is just lost since it's mostly under the very large sectional.

If you wanted to keep the rug where it is then remove the ottoman and add a glass top table.

• Sharon Smith
    hace 9 años
    Take it to a carpet/rug dealer and have them cut it down for you if you love it. They can bind it.

If you love it find a way to keep it.
  • PRO
    Wolffe Interiors
    hace 9 años

It is a beautiful rug but I think it grounds your furniture too heavily for the open space it is in. Will the rug work in another room in the house -- bedroom perhaps? Lovely condo!

• ellenstorch
    hace 9 años

Your sofa is beautiful! I'm curious about the manufacturer?

• januarisun
    hace 9 años

That buttery soft leather looks like it could be a Natuzzi.

• sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    What is happening? Please do not cut your fabulous rug down. Try a natural fiber sisal in a neutral color for under the dining furniture. You can extend the sisal onto the oriental to create a bit smaller (looking) living space while defining the dining space completely. What do posters think about that?
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años

Anyone there?

• ronzdezines
    hace 9 años

I think the room looks excellent! As for the dining area, I'd recommend the same rug as in living room, just the smaller size of it to maintain cohesion. Have fun.

• cparlee506
    hace 9 años

I think the size of the rug works well as it defines the living room space, but I would suggest a light color (maybe the color of the walls) with minimal detail and use throw pillows on the couch with detail that brings together all of the colors in both spaces. I'd also suggest no rug for the dining room as that will better define that space from the living room. Good luck!

• maretamartin
    hace 9 años

I would get rid of the Ottoman. A lighter piece would work better as leelee said.

And then 2 options:

- Play with the rug and sofa to give the room a different character (i found some examples) and/or

- Change the layout of the sofa, either facing the fabulous view or with the view at your back (if it fits).

Hard Loft Space · Más información
    Living Room · Más información
    Suburban Contemporary Family Room · Más información

• Susan King
    hace 9 años

With that view, who notices anything else? Love the rug angled ideas.

• wrbp
    hace 9 años

I agree, with that view going on it could be visual overload. I love old oriental rugs. I went through the same thing when we downsized. I resisted for several years but finally gave up and realized I needed to go with a sisal. I have to say I LOVE the change. The old rug seemed to drain the room of energy.

• Lori711
    hace 9 años

I love the way you have this room set up! I wouldn't put a rug under the table either. Nor would I remove the ottoman. I also wouldn't put more pillows on the sofa. I agree with the other comments regarding moving the beautiful rug closer to the fireplace. Extra pillows are going to end up on the floor and will also add clutter to a sleek sophisticated environment!

• PRO
    Rug Goddess
    hace 9 años

Love the area rug with the solid sectional! Colors work perfect. I wouldn't do a rug that close to the other rug since the focus is on the view and the other rug goes completely under all the furniture. Someone that commented prior to me said you only need to ground the front legs of the sofa and they are correct. In perfect scenario the rug could stand to be smaller, but if you really like it I wouldn't do another rug under your table, as there is enough covered floor with the larger rug for the space.

• underbrowcottage
    hace 9 años

Love the sectinal - can you tell me the manufacturer?

• view16
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you everyone! I've taken a lot from your advice. I've decided to keep rug. I'm not using a rug under dining table, at least for now. But will look at sisal if I change my mind. And I chose a 15' tribal rug runner in a nearby hallway. Never would have gone that way and love it! Keeping ottoman because it's great storage and makes it very relaxing to kick back and visit, watch tv, etc. Not sure about pillows, as the couch is pillow-like, but will keep my options open. Thanks again.
  • view16
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    "Elite Leather Company." Googled it and there a tons of options. We bought this ten years ago for kids' rec room and it still is in great condition and we are able to use as our main piece of furniture!
  • januarisun
    hace 9 años

That's incredible! That sofa doesn't look anything close to 10 years old.

• Jeanine Bruce
    hace 9 años

Your floors are beautiful!! What type of wood?

• view16
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Walnut
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años

Wow! I love walnut. And I think sisal is best for under the dining area after you get settled in the lovely new condo. Good luck.

• youngn1ina
    hace 9 años
    The rug is beautiful!!!! If you don't use the fireplace I'd pull the rug as close to the fireplace as you can and maybe push your sectional back a tad. You could also set the rug vertically so you get a more narrow 1/2 under your sectional and coffee table, and the other 1/2 as sort of a runner behind the couch that will also reach under the dining table. At least try it and see if it would work.
  • lucybeee
    hace 9 años
    I don't think the rug is needed at all. I love your room but think there is way too much brown of the same or similar tone in your room. You need some color. Try adding some bright or light colored pillows to your couch and add a glass coffee table. I think that is the dining table to the right?....you could add a dimension in that area by adding a table runner and or some pretty flowers of some sort to the center to spark up and give color and life to that area. I love your view. Very pretty!
  • elbeee
    hace 9 años

Love the large rug, but wouldn't put another one under the table. They will compete, and the wooden floor is easier to clean than a rug for any food spills. There, just saved you $$$ ;-)

• calidesign
    hace 9 años

I would also keep the beautiful rug, and not use one at all under the table. I would try a glass coffee table instead of the ottoman to see more of the rug and lighten the space. Maybe the ottoman could be used as a bench at the foot of a bed?

• youngn1ina
    hace 9 años
    Yes Calidesign! I think switching the ottoman to a glass coffee table is the perfect answer!!! I think the ottoman is what is hiding the rug.
  • source21
    hace 9 años
    Too much brown. If you don't wish to buy new furniture, perhaps some pillows and /or throws would add some sparkle to the room.
  • PRO
    Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    If you've got the budget, get a new rug for under the sectional. Something fresh and current with a large Greek Key motif or a diamond type pattern. The rug you currently have is not too big. The sectional does not have to be fully on the rug. The rug can come up to the main part of the sectional, or be 6-10 Inches under it. My point is, it's not too big. A new rug, some large 22 inch pillows in great colors and patterns will update your new condo, and give the sectional a current look. I would also go new under your dining table. Perhaps an indoor outdoor sisal look. The rug needs to be large enough that the dining chairs can be pulled out to sit and still be on the rug. Put the existing rug in a bedroom and pull your favorite accent color out of it for your bedding etc. Enjoy! Barbara Brown
  • PRO
    Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    And a new coffee table would do wonders..... Something lighter than the sectional....metal and glass, introduce a curve to the mis with round or oval coffee table.
  • lechner64
    hace 9 años
    White shag rug maybe cream would brighten it up
  • Diane Donofrio
    hace 9 años

In design, you need to focus on balance. The dominant color in the sofa right now, looks like it is dominating the room, and to balance that out, you could add some accent pillows on the sofa, to turn the sofa into a neutral...from the photos, looks like you could pull out, black, green, a rich burgundy color for the pillows...any of those colors will work, one, two, or a combination of the three...re-upholster the ottoman to a rich dark leather, a dark burgundy or brown, and this will create a contrast between the ottoman and the sofa, accent the top of the ottoman with lighter accent pieces....The sisal rug idea from Barbara Brown interiors, is a great idea, you could also have it banded around the edge with a color, either dark burgundy, black, or green...the black banding would act as another neutral, and will compliment the rug nicely...you can reupholster the seat cushions in the dining room to coordinate with the accent pillows in the living area, to tie in the two spaces...paint the walls, a neutral gray/green, and add white flowing window treatments with black metal rods, this keeps the room casual...

• Natasha Assa
    hace 9 años
    I love what Barbara Brown suggested. There are too many corners in the room and you need something round or square to soften it. The ottoman next to the sectional looks matchy matchy and dulls the look. So you need a coffee table with glass top and preferably round or oval shape to break up the monotony. Also, since the furniture is a little used, giving it a fresh look with a more contemporary rug motif is the way to go. I would consider grays in either wool/silk (or cheaper polypropylene) or indeed organic looking sisal for a more relaxed and welcoming look. There are some sisal rugs with color border, and you might like to use that to bring a secondary color in addition to all the browns in the room. That secondary color would repeat on the couch pillows. I would add either red or green, which combine beautifully with browns. If you go with green, I would recommend also to paint walls in Guildford Green, the Benjamin Moore color of the year 2014. It is very soothing and looks both traditional and freshly modern, just what you want around brown colors for an organic look. I say all this, cuz I also have huge brown sectional with equally huge brown wood entertainment center. So I have studied the problem for many hours on HOUZZ and came to these modest conclusions.
  • slab
    hace 9 años
    Definitely the rug is too big. I would move it out.
  • view16
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thanks again for all the great advice. I will keep both the sectional and ottoman. This area is used as an entertainment area more than anything. I.e. Football games, movies, visiting. (We have another room-den?-with chairs and glass coffee table for a more intimate setting). So relaxation is key. I do agree rug is too brown. I love sisal, but want something softer under our feet. I'll keep looking! I was think of sisal under dining table, but concerned about spills and food. Any problems with that?

• view16
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I meant to ask if there were problems with keeping a sisal area rug clean in a dining area!
  • woofwoof
    hace 9 años
    Your rug is awesome, don't touch it. I also agree the red rug you are considering for the dining room is too much, competes too much. Perhaps a solid color that compliments the oriental rug, a lighter color like creme, and a thinner rug, like a dhurrie. great room.
  • PRO
    Nejad Rugs
    hace 9 años

I recommend choosing a dining room rug that better
    compliments the style and
    the scale of design elements of your living room rug. Your living room
    rug is what is called a "city rug" with a more detailed and defined
    classic pattern. The living room rug sample is what is called a "village rug" with a rougher rustic weave and design. The colors work but I think you can do better on the design.

NEJAD RUGS Design M013 Tabriz RSNY www.nejad.com

• PRO
    Oakville Real Estate
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
  • KK1000
    hace 9 años
    The rug is beautiful but not with your couch. would be good if you could use it in the bedroom or study and get a modern rug for the lounge
  • enjb01
    hace 9 años

In my humble opinion, the sectional is too big and bulky for the space. It dominates it and makes it feel crowded. If it is possible I would loose one of the sections and bring in 2 smaller scale freestanding chairs to flank the remaining sectional piece. It would allow more of the rug to be seen, add flexibility, a lighter feel, and a flow to the room. The other sectional piece could be used in a different multifunctional room as a chaise. The ottoman with its storage would work great at the foot of a master bed as a bench.

• Liz H
    hace 9 años
    I'm a barefoot-in-the-house type, so I've never had a sisal and never will. And having one under a dining table almost certainly means that food will get trapped in the fibers. My guess is that most of them end up in the landfill after a very few years.

For me, a hand-knotted wool rug is the best choice under a dining table. Regular vacuuming and a full wash 3-4 years will keep it lovely.

For now, you've elected to have no rug at all. This makes a lot more sense than having a sisal.
  • Heather
    hace 9 años
    It's large, but I'm guessing we're all a bit OCD...as mentioned, I'd do whatever i could to show it off. this conventional angle and placement buries it as an afterthought under the furniture. Can you place it diagonally and pull it away from. the back borders of the furniture? This one needs to be leveraged and worn proud. It adds character :-)
    view16 agradeció a Heather
  • Wendy
    hace 9 años
    I need THAT couch! Where can I look for it??? I love your rugs! Good choices!
  • view16
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you. Ended up with same but smaller living room area rug and red under dining table. Elite Leather Company.
  • jansgirl
    hace 9 años

WHAT? No updated photos? You've got a wonderful looking space (and view) and I think you have put together a great arrangement for the use of the room. Enjoy it!

• view16
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Jansgirl, how did you stumble on this old post?!! Ha! Here is the update. I went with smaller sized rug and switched the two. Living/dining areas. So far all is great with my new downsized lifestyle! Thanks for asking!

• view16
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.