Houzz Logo Print
foci88

Paint The Front Door or Leave it Alone?

foci88
hace 11 años
I just had my whole house painted and need an honest opinion about painting the front door in Benjamin Moore "Terra Cotta Tile 2090-30" (see pic) or leaving it how it looks in this photo? It was just painted the same cream color as the window panes but I think it could be more bold. My gut tells me to paint it Terra Cotta Tile to coordinate with the colors of the brick front steps. Leaving it cream color makes it sort of fade away. Help?! I only have until tomorrow morning to decide, then the painters are finished wtih the project! Please don't mention any other colors it could be at this point. I just need help deciding to leave it cream color or go with the Terra Cotta Tile color. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. By the way, the house is located at the beach in FL so we wanted to lighten up the overall look of it.

Comentarios (118)

• foci88
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Alison, when awnings are done right they can add class & charm to the right home. Here's a few examples I think work very well.
  • olldcan
    hace 11 años
    foci88,
    I looked through the photos on your other post as you suggested and enjoyed every minute of your home. Now I come to find your the original owner "We are the original owners of the home (1930)" not like I'm counting but what can I say, I'm impressed. I would love to see more pictures of your home through the years, just to see how it's changed. When your all done restoring the exterior, I'll be watching for the after pictures, what a privilege this has been.

Thanks so much for sharing,

Candace
  • PRO
    User
    hace 11 años
    Where do your guests enter? Your front door. Make it as special as you think they are to you. Pretend it is Christmas or your birthday and go all out for an everyday WOW at your front entry. I feel the least expensive colour will come from the elements that already exist - your stone and roof. Select a mid toned Grey based Taupe which will be similar to the natural stone. It will contrast with the cream stucco and compliment the soft green. Purchase some black urns and place them on the cap area below the windows flanking your stairs. Now keep them brimming with colourful flowers spring through fall and lit up greenery in the winter.
  • foci88
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    candace, I say "we" but I really mean the 3rd generation of family! Thank you for your nice comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. It's really a very unique home & property but hard to visualize the whole layout without actually seeing it in person! All the comments on here are really great!
  • Elyn's Library
    hace 11 años
    What a delightful home - it looks well-loved and carefully cared-for. And it must be a joy to have all those years of family memories in such a pretty place.

For what it's worth, I'll add to the chorus - "Go for it - it's only paint and easily changed."
  • PRO
    Michal Yiftah Rotem, MYR Architecture
    hace 11 años
    Terra cotta or peach. Definately don't leave it in white, the door has no identity in white.
  • PRO
    Michal Yiftah Rotem, MYR Architecture
    hace 11 años
    Terra cotta or peach. Definately don't leave it in white, the door has no identity in white.
  • sharshot
    hace 11 años
    Such a sweet home! Post your "after photo" when finished.
  • PRO
    relushor
    hace 11 años
    i wouldnt paint it terra cota but a peachy pastel or some light orange. Just my 2 cents :)
  • lesliedgoodman
    hace 11 años
    Great home but I would remove awning and then paint the door the terra coat color you love including the screen door.
  • kcjaros
    hace 11 años
    Terra cotta! Also,what is the brand/paint color you used on the body of the house? Thx!
  • kcjaros
    hace 11 años
    Terra cotta! Also,what is the brand/paint color you used on the body of the house? Thx!
  • foci88
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    We ended up going with Benjamin Moore "Baked Clay" (a terra cotta color with a bit more orange & less red) and are very pleased with the look!
  • Sheila Steelman
    hace 11 años
    Looks great!!
  • Marie Hamby
    hace 11 años
    Baked Clay Looks Great ...Also you could add more Decorative Iron Handrails on both sides of Steps.
    If you do show me the finished look
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    Great. Very inviting now.
  • Danelle OH
    hace 11 años
    That really looks fantastic. Great choice and great job keeping a home in the family!! With so many people playing flip this house it is nice to see a family using a home for the intended purpose.
  • syd34
    hace 11 años
    Terra Cota is a great choice!! Don't forget to ad planter urns with some color like oranges.
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    hace 11 años
    It really makes a statement and gives a inviting entrance.
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    Paint it!
  • Elyn's Library
    hace 11 años
    Lovely, inviting. Says "This is where our home begins!"
  • Diane
    hace 11 años
    Go for the Terra Cotta
  • Good Taste
    hace 11 años
    Now you have introduced another colour, I recon you should change the patio and steps to be part of the new scheme. Will look really good.
  • Good Taste
    hace 11 años
    Now you have introduced another colour, I recon you should change the patio and steps to be part of the new scheme. Will look really good.
  • Good Taste
    hace 11 años
  • PRO
    Steven Johnson Architect PLLC
    hace 11 años
    color - and go contrast.
  • PRO
    Retired
    hace 11 años
    I would paint the door terra cotta. I might even paint the square cement surfaces on top of the rock wor in the terra cotta also. That would make the steps , the door and that little bit of cement a very interesting feature on the front of the house.
  • foci88
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Alas, the house is finished! I appreciated all the comments along the way. Thanks!
  • elcieg
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Nice finish! Love the trim color. :>)
  • anitajoyce
    hace 11 años
    Love the house and Door Color!
  • syd34
    hace 11 años
    The house came out beautiful!! Great choice for color on everyting!!
  • Kivi
    hace 11 años
    It's a great looking house! If you are still planning on selling it, I hope it goes well for you.
  • PRO
    Tumblewood Designs
    hace 11 años
    I love your final selection- Great job! :)
  • anewpennameandthata
    hace 11 años
    Nice house. I had no idea how nice from the first shot. Probs those steps are letting it down, then.
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    hace 11 años
    Good work - you were right about the door!
  • houssaon
    hace 11 años
    Love the body color, the door and the trim. Glad you switched to stripe awnings and got rid of the ones not needed. The house looks fantastic. It is so nice to see what someone, who looked for advice, finally did. Thanks for sharing.
  • foci88
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Here's a closer view of the finished result. Thanks again for the front door input!
  • Sheila Steelman
    hace 11 años
    Looks very inviting.....love it.
  • whitleytaylor
    hace 11 años
    I think it would look really good painted. I do think it looks bad now, but I think it would be great painted.
  • mjmil
    hace 11 años
    love what you have done It is a beautiful home and the choices you have made add to it's appeal.
  • chappage
    hace 11 años
    Coming into the conversation late, but wanted to say that I love the personality of your home! Are all the homes in your neighborhood of the same age and style? What part of Florida? I grew up in West Palm Beach area. Also, I think you made a good choice on the paint. It looks great.
  • foci88
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Chappage, thank you for the compliment. The home is in a historical district called Pass-A-Grille Beach. It sits on one of five barrier islands on the west coast of FL (30 min. from Tampa) on the Gulf of Mexico. All the homes are different in the neighborhood. We have older beach cottages mixed in with beautiful estate homes. It's a great beach community. It's also a very desirable location because the town is only 1 1/2 blocks wide and 22 blocks long. Great sunsets too!
  • scdubose
    hace 11 años
    What is the green trim color?
  • afterhoursreno
    hace 11 años
    Paint it! Paint it!
  • afterhoursreno
    hace 11 años
    Numbers at the bottom of the door are super (mail carrier friendly) They may even get a boot patina over time as they are kickplate height!
  • afterhoursreno
    hace 11 años
    Numbers at the bottom of the door are super (mail carrier friendly) They may even get a boot patina over time as they are kickplate height!
  • otmminaj
    hace 11 años
    I would go for it soo it will pop out of that dark nook
  • foci88
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    scdubose, the green trim color is Benjamin Moore 'Sherwood Green'.
  • PRO
    Stacy Miller Design
    hace 8 años

Definitely paint it! Make it pop.

• foci88
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

It was painted (see photo above) nearly three years ago just before the house sold.

However, the new owners replaced the front door so that's how it goes!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.