Houzz Logo Print
feathermynest

Am I crazy to do this? Can I go from 18th century to 21st century?

Am I crazy? I want to change my formal dining room into a more casual family space by painting my 18th century mahogany china cabinet black ( chairs too) and replacing my formal table with a farm table.

Comentarios (69)

• A Feathered Nest Designs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The set was expensive when we bought it 25 years ago- chairs , cabinet, and table retailed over 18k, but I bought on clearance sale.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Don't worry about what you paid for it, you will get a paltry sum if you try to sell it, it's not the trendy style everyone else is looking for now. Precisely why I think you should love it, paint it, and enjoy it.
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a User
  • dclostboy
    hace 9 años
    Start looking on etsy...should be able to find reasonably priced farm / trestle table there and easily customize to fit your space / needs.
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a dclostboy
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Great idea!
  • Maureen
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Your furniture is very formal and painted pure black, I wonder if you would achieve the casual feel you are looking for even with a harvest table. Your farmhouse picture still feels formal - but if that is the look you want, it will look great. Hopefully it will work with your living room. You could consider distressing and/or combining colors, which may feel more relaxed. I would reupholster the chairs and you may have to change how you accessorize inside cabinet. We purchased a harvest table and a second hand antique armoire, painted our chairs and love our new look. Good luck. "
    Elegant Traditional Dining Room with Custom China Cabinets · Más información
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a Maureen
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 9 años
    I am all for painting it...just not sure I am crazy about the black, but that is up to you, of course. Were it mine, I would go white. Anyway, go for it. Furniture is good quality so even if you aren't happy with it after you paint, your chances of selling it probably will be better.

Organza Silk Drum Shade Crystal Chandelier · Más información
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a JudyG Designs
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I originally wanted to,paint it a distressed pea green color, but thought black would be safer.
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I also thought about turquoise as I wanted to add a pop of fun color.
  • Maureen
    hace 9 años
    Take a look at lots of pictures before you decide. Also...it's only paint. If you paint one chair for example or the side of the cabinet...you should know right away if to continue in that color. If you want to add fun color, maybe the fabric in the chairs or a rug or art would be an idea. Also read up on how best to achieve a professional paint job, as it's going to be so important - especially if going black vs. distressed.
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a Maureen
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    feathermynest, the piece is not an antique but a well made piece 25 years old. By all means paint it, it is not so valuable that you will be destroying it. even as a well made piece , you will get nothing if you sell it. go with distressed pea green or turquoise. think it will look lovely. get your farm table and reupholster the chairs
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a sacapuntaslapioz
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    some examples,

[houzz=
    Hollywood Hills · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Traditional · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Traditional Living Room · Más información
    ]
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a sacapuntaslapioz
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you everyone! I'll keep you updated. I really want to move to a new home- we bought out home 22 years ago. My husband and I love the neighborhood, so we're remodeling to fit our new style. I want to really live in all the rooms. My formal dining room is ordinary. I want to make it extraordinary and livable with a touch of fun and the unexpected! I've always loved traditional design but I'm ready to try new things without replacing my collections of antiques.
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Has anyone painted a china cabinet before? Any tips?
  • A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a Maureen
  • Liz H
    hace 9 años
    I would SO totally paint it! As so many others have said, you're really not going to be able to sell it for anywhere near the $$ you'd need to replace it, and unless you're willing to pay a bundle, you won't get equivalent quality.

If you do paint it, you might consider doing it yourself with chalk paint. It's pretty easy to handle, can easily be used indoors (no nasty fumes), and is quite forgiving---plus you can get lots and lots of DIY advice on YouTube. And if you get tired of the color after a year or two, you can paint it again.

I paint stuff all the time--thinking of painting my piano soon---so I have an exceptionally fluid attitude towards results. With chalk paint, it's just not that big a deal to change things up whenever you want. I figure that decisions are just temporary.

I should mention that probably no one on Houzz would approve of my style. LOL.
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a Liz H
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you everyone!
  • clairemulloo
    hace 9 años
    I checked out selling my formal Harden dining room set. Unfortunately selling about 10cents on the dollar. Seems to have gone the way of the rotary phone!
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a clairemulloo
  • Linda Myers
    hace 9 años
    I made the same transition about 15 years ago- stuffy and traditional to lighter, relaxed styles. Don't be afraid to paint! Black will still make it look heavy and stuffy though. Follow your gut and go for color but put it on the inside and do a soft neutral on the exterior such as a light gray/beige. The glass doors are beautiful but maybe remove and store them?
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a Linda Myers
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    hace 9 años
    While I strongly disapprove of painting MCM pieces or period,antique pieces, this Ethan Allen china cabinet is a good candidate. Especially if you use something like Annie Sloan chalk paint and wax on it.
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a sstarr93
  • PRO
    Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
    hace 9 años
    I agree with not disturbing the finish of true antiques of value. However, I do paint less precious pieces for my clients all the time ~ there is a very fine line though between ruining a classic piece by way of shabby chalk paint. Try a more subtle route with your paint finish, paint the interior a different color or leave the finish inside as is now and then apply a metallic gold to gild the edges and finish with hand wax.. I promise you, you'll be happier with the sophistication level of the finished results. Enjoy!
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
  • Margaret Bee
    hace 9 años
    That's a lovely piece and will look wonderful painted if you choose to do so. You stated your goal was to achieve a more casual look, but it appears the dining room is open to another room. Is the adjoining room formal as well? We have many pieces we have collected through the years, we have made updates as our tastes have changed, but it's a balancing act. You need to make sure things don't look disjointed and the old and new can peacefully co-exsist. I have a similar table and chairs, I removed the chandelier, added a drum shade, added a sisal rug ,a large abstract painting and replaced the side chairs with Parsons chairs. I think there are many ways to make a formal room more casual, painting the china cabinet and the new table will be a great start. I also love all the rooms Bluenan posted!
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a Margaret Bee
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I attached a picture of the adjoining room. The piano is temporary- it belongs to my mother. The sofa is new- I chose it because I can make it look casual,and/or formal with pillows. I began my search for a new table today. No luck yet.
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Here are the pictures together .
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Here is another picture if the sofa.
  • handymam
    hace 9 años
    If you are going to paint it, paint it the pea green color you first thought of. Be color brave. If you don't like it, it's just paint. Paint the black over it and rub some off perhaps If you don't like the solid black either.
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a handymam
  • handymam
    hace 9 años
    Your home is warm and inviting!
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a handymam
  • Margaret Bee
    hace 9 años
    Beautiful room and very wise choice for the new Sofa. You should be able to do some simple editing to get things to flow. Do you have a specific look you are trying to achieve? When I think of painted furniture I think Eclectic, Coastal and Cottage. I have a few pieces we painted, our kitchen, dining and living room are all open to one another so we choose a single unifying color, a blue green. We have a painted secretary in the kitchen, a painted buffet as a TV stand in the living room and we used shades of duck egg blue to unify. I am probably not explaining this well and I am sure others will jump in.
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a Margaret Bee
  • taraline
    hace 9 años
    I would paint it… Do you have an Annie Sloan paint dealer in your area. If not they are online and their paint is amazing. No prepping…But I would suggest watching a tutorial or taking a quick class to see all the techniques… It's fun to work with very rewarding. Good Luck
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a taraline
  • kathleen MK
    hace 9 años
    why not make your pop of color the interior of that beautiful piece? recover chairs with same bright shade (coral, lemon, turquoise?) Add big modern drum shade light. antique or not I could not repaint mahogany.
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a kathleen MK
  • fissfiss
    hace 9 años
    I think it's fine to paint it. I like the idea of black, with the interior a fun color. Black is classic, and it will be much easier to change just the inside if you tire of that palate.
    A Feathered Nest Designs agradeció a fissfiss
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I've decided to update my table before I venture into painting the china cabinet. Thank you for all the wonderful advice. The cabinet door needs to be repaired as it is discolored from the sun over the years. If I do decide to paint it, I'll have it professionally done.
  • qam999
    hace 9 años

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to add that this beautiful cabinet has very limited resale value at this time. Our local high-end consignment stores get many formal china cabinets in and sell such items for $500 or less.....i.e. less than a brand-new IKEA item with similar capacity would cost. This includes very well-made and attractive items in great condition - solid walnut, solid blond mahogany, with inlays, from best manufacturers of the 20th century (I include Ethan Allen in that list). Therefore, there is minimal resale value to capture. It would look beautiful if professionally painted a gloss black.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    hace 8 años
    I definitely would not paint it. The discoloration you are referring to is not discoloration. It's what is called Crotch mahogany. That comes from the part of the tree where the main trunk begins to go out into limbs. years ago when this was harvested out of the jungles in Honduras they were able to bring that part of the tree out, but now the Honduran government only allows them to harvest 8 foot sections of the main trunks out at a time and leave all the crotch of the tree on the forest floors. So today making it almost unavailable... Unless purchased in older pieces. The older these pieces get the more they will be worth!!! Please don't paint!!!! You will have a treasure left alone!! If you don't want it sell it to someone that will keep it that way!!
  • azimabdul288
    hace 8 años

Very nice design.

I like all.

But I would suggest watching a tutorial or taking a quick class to see all the techniques.

• Lindsay Ferrell
    hace 6 años

I recently purchased this same Ethan Allen china cabinet at a resale store. I just love it and am also contemplating whether I want to leave it as is or paint it. Do you still have this china cabinet? I have a question about the shelves and how they are attached. When I bought mine, it was missing the middle shelves (has side shelves only) and all of the brackets that hold the shelves. I am trying to figure out what I can do to hold the shelves in place. This is an old thread, but if you happen to read this, I would so appreciate your help and/or any pictures you may have of the inside!

• gtcircus
    hace 6 años
    Lindsay, I would start a new thread and post your dilemma. This thread is 3 years old.
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I still have mine! How can I help?
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    By the way everyone - I never painted it!
  • User
    hace 6 años
    I read thru 57 comments waiting for the reveal! Did you ever update your rooms?
  • Lindsay Ferrell
    hace 6 años

Here is a picture of mine. It has 4 small pieces of glass in the bottom (the side shelves) but is missing the glass shelves that go in the middle. I got it for such a steal that I am going to have new glass shelves cut to go in the middle section. I just love it! Do you have any pictures showing the type of brackets holding the shelves into place? Would it be possible to measure the length of a middle shelf? I want to see how it should be assembled inside. Thank you!

Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Here are a few pictures of the inside of my cabinet. I am the original owner, this is how it came from the factory.
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Please let me know if you need more. Good luck!
  • Lindsay Ferrell
    hace 6 años

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I finally did it!!!! I hope you enjoy my painted china cabinet and updated

dining room as much as I do. I have an eclectic design style, but tend toward country french.

Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here are better pictures!

Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I'd like to thank Teresa and Madeleleine for their incredible work on my china cabinet. They are so talented! Be sure to check out their instagram account.

Teresa Van Buul

Madeleine Van Buul

Maddiesremodeling (instagram)

• fissfiss
    hace 4 años

It looks wonderful!

• PRO
    Heritage Draperies and Designs
    hace 3 años

I would not have had the confidence to have such a beautiful mahogany cabinet painted, but yours turned out beautiful!

• PRO
    hace 3 años

Gorgeous!
    I’ve been painting china cabinets for many years as it gives them new life! And I use them for collections of curiosities in a living space rather than China in a dining room. This beautiful antique Scottish hutch is in my beach house on the coast of Baja!

• PRO
    hace 3 años

Better image!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.