Houzz Logo Print
gash460

white kitchens in or out?

gash460
hace 9 años
We are building a new home. I really want a white kitchen, but our Realtor and builder have strongly suggested not to, instead but in a wood finish. Very torn I don't want to make a mistake right off.

Comentarios (28)

• Nicole Hetherington
    hace 9 años
    White kitchens will always be in. The majority of kitchen photo's ive seen on this site are white.
    gash460 agradeció a Nicole Hetherington
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

¿Qué objeto del hogar te resulta imprescindible?

Q

(8) comentarios
    Mi vida no sería igual sin mis organizadores de armario y sistemas de almacenaje. Suerte que alguien tuvo la brillante idea de pensar en dividir de forma organizada todos los espacios y rincones :)
    ...Ver más

new kitchen

Q

(0) comentarios
    We have an open floor plan and have placed glossy white tiles ( with a hint of grey veins) through out the living, dining areas, accented with a black border. Contemporary look. Now we need to figure out the kitchen! White tiles, black granite counters n backspash, white cabinets??? I havent seen many Houzz kitchen photos w white floor tiles
    ...Ver más

Which colors are better for a kitchen?

Q

(5) comentarios
    Each kitchen needs one special color, it´s depends of the natural ilumination it has. Same examples of kitchen we design:
    ...Ver más

Palette colors for a kitchen

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hello: There is the topic of using light colors in small and dark spaces in the larger, but ' this does not always work. The kitchens must like everything, make themselves as pleasant as they result to their users. Natural worktops, granite and wooden furniture, always give good results. It looks good, stone countertop or white quartz and oak cabinet. It is also worth a top of oak or imitation and white furniture. Colors can be used all. Preferably soft tones. Realmente todos los colores sirven para una cocina, aunque desaconsejo los colores frios. Hay que tener en cuenta, si se trata de un espacio cerrado, o si debe integrarse al living.
    ...Ver más
  • PRO
    Hirshson Architecture + Design
    hace 9 años
    I'm very surprised to hear a broker push for a wood tone over a white kitchen. As already stated, it's far easier for a new owner to change accent colors and alter the look of white cabinets than to affect the same change in a wood-filled kitchen.

I frequently design white kitchens for my clients, and no two spaces have turned out the same. Owners select between granites, marbles, and composite counter surfaces paired with a wide range of backsplash materials. These combinations make the difference between a white kitchen that appears contemporary, versus traditional, or a transitional space that falls between the two. Your choices should be consistent with the look and feel of your home. While a very contemporary kitchen in a traditional home may be beautiful, it could be harder for the typical traditional home buyer to appreciate your investment in those finishes.

Ultimately, quality and coordinated finishes will appear to a prospective buyer.
    gash460 agradeció a Hirshson Architecture + Design
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 9 años
    I prefer a wood finish, but it's your house and if you want to go with white, then you should do it. Don't live and die by what a realtor tells you unless you're planning on selling within the next 5 years. If not, make the house reflect your personality so you'll be happy with it.
    gash460 agradeció a hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    hace 9 años
    Do what you love. White kitchen is timeless. If you are not thinking of selling this home for a long time it really does not matter what your Realtor thinks.
    gash460 agradeció a Comwest Construction
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    hace 9 años
    Unless this is a spec home, put in what appeals to YOU! That is never a "mistake", if it's what you truly love. But, you also have to separate "true love" from merely "familiar and safe". If all you see online is white, then it becomes the familiar comforting choice, even if it's not intrinsically "you". You may want to do some design exercises to affirm your personal taste.

If this is for spec, white has passed it's peak in the more trend forward locations in the country, but in the middle areas of the country, it's just starting to be the hot trend. So, it can be very location specific, and the realtor's advice would be one to heed. But, only after viewing other new construction and homes for sale yourself.

What type of project is this?
    gash460 agradeció a ProSource Memphis
  • PRO
    Fresh Architect
    hace 9 años
    A white kitchen is timeless. There are so many design options with cabinet door profiles, hardware, counter tops and backsplash ideas. You can introduce glass and great lighting. Flooring selection also has a tremendous effect in the kitchen. As an architect, I continue to design white kitchens in many difference styles. It's always a fresh, clean and warm look.
    gash460 agradeció a Fresh Architect
  • PRO
    A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
    hace 9 años
    Like ProSource said, if this house is being built for YOU, then do what you love. If it's a spec house, you may want to get the realtors advice. Because what is popular here on Long Island, does not go for the rest of NY, nor the East Coast for that matter. We do tons of kitchens for builders on spec houses. Some areas are more beachy, and require white shaker, where others are perfectly happy with a cherry looking cabinet and standard granite tops.
    gash460 agradeció a A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
  • gash460
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    It is not a spec home. We had 3 floor plans to choose from and then had the option to customize it. The area where this is being built is very up and coming and growing, there is lots of small lakes connected together and a TCP golf course. The homes going in will all be slab homes, there are only 18 lots. I have always loved white kitchens. We are looking to do a black granite countertop, with the island being stained a darker wood tone with a lighter granite top. We do have wood floors chosen just trying to decide if we want a mid tone or really dark. Also in looking at other new construction I did see white kitchens in this area. We live in MN.
  • houseatthelake
    hace 9 años
    Through the years the white cabinets have stood the test of time. Fads in wood finishes are always changing but the white is always popular.
    gash460 agradeció a houseatthelake
  • diyher
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    it's none of the realtors business what you do to the inside of a house you just purchased. Nor is the person building it if you want a white kitchen. I'm not an all white cabinet person myself, I still love wood. My uppers are painted antique white, my lowers are cherry wood stained. I also tend not to go with real dark wood like the Java or others that might as well be paint because you see none of the beauty of the wood.

I would try for a soft white rather than a stark bright white. You could also go for a wood island countertop like I've seen so a lot of here on houzz. It's what inspired me to go that route with our kitchen.
    gash460 agradeció a diyher
  • hazeldazel
    hace 9 años
    I think that white kitchens are so overdone - endless repeats of white cabs with tan granite. But it's your kitchen and since you're not selling soon, you can do what appeals to you. I wonder if the realtor was really trying to say that maybe white kitchen might not be a good fit for you: wood swells and shrinks so cracking of paint along seams is inevitable, you have to be more careful about cleaning and wiping up water, dirt/oil/food stains will be more apparent, etc. If that kind of thing will drive you nuts, then maybe pick a different finish. Otherwise, it's up to you!
    gash460 agradeció a hazeldazel
  • auntiebuzzybee
    hace 9 años
    I'll just say whatever the finish choice, I recommend that you do full cabinetry, not the open shelving I've seen here on Houzz. I do think that particular style is trendy, too trendy, plus I'm sure you are paying for all the cabs anyway. I would really focus on FUNCTION.
    As I often do, I totally agree with ProSource Memphis. Congratulations. I know you must by super excited but sometimes overwhelmed.
    gash460 agradeció a auntiebuzzybee
  • auntiebuzzybee
    hace 9 años
    Curiosity kicking in here, what DID they recommend? Did they both recommend the SAME thing. I will say that I have found MN to be more forward on style. There are incredible artists and designers there so I would not doubt that they are on the forefront of knowing what's upcoming.
  • gash460
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The models they have built in this area are with alder wood with a darker stain. I just feel this is too dark for me even though it is an open floor plan.
  • bgfuqua
    hace 9 años
    what the trend is-is not important. you need to love your kitchen.
    gash460 agradeció a bgfuqua
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    hace 9 años
    Knotty alder is beautiful. Clear alder is often known as "poor man's cherry" though and is sometimes suggested when the upcharge for cherry brings the project over the client's total budget. What I'm wondering here is if both of the folks suggesting stained wood are doing so because painted wood is a pretty hefty upcharge, and yours is a more moderately priced project. All of these popular 100K kitchens you see on Houzz can sometimes blindside your budget pretty badly if you use them for literal inspiration and try to copy them. Here's a link to what remodel projects in your area cost on average. New construction will certainly have all of the same components as a full remodel, if not more! http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2014/west-north-central/minneapolis-mn/
    gash460 agradeció a ProSource Memphis
  • PRO
    Design Your Kitchen and Bath
    hace 9 años
    White kitchens are still in and requested by many. So, if this your vision for the kitchen, you're not alone! Not only is it timeless like so many commenters have said but it's versatile too. The white cabinets can be matched with various color countertops, accents, hardware, flooring and create a different look each time.
    gash460 agradeció a Design Your Kitchen and Bath
  • auntiebuzzybee
    hace 9 años
    Are you building with the intention to stay long term or do you see yourself getting transferred or growing a family and needing larger in the next five years?

Quite honestly, get what you want and what you can afford. Remember budget, function and what makes you happy. Mix well and enjoy.
  • nansdrew
    hace 9 años
    It's in for me. I always love white kitchens. My grandmothers' were white, my mom's is white, and so is mine. I like how they are easy to clean (just wipe clean) and how I can easily tell they are clean, which is important in the kitchen. I think if white kitchens are going to go out of style, it would have done so a generation ago.
    gash460 agradeció a nansdrew
  • auntiebuzzybee
    hace 9 años
    Do you have any photos to post of the model(s) you have seen with the Alder they are suggesting? That would be interesting to see and get opinions from Houzzers if you'd like.
  • nansdrew
    hace 9 años
    Oh, but we did put in a stained island with a lighter countertop, so it looks more like furniture (open plan layout). Unlike your plan though, we went with engineered quartz counters instead of granite (which we found too busy/grainy). Here's a photo (sorry for bad lighting/phone photo).
    gash460 agradeció a nansdrew
  • diyher
    hace 9 años
    the realtor and contractor shouldn't be suggesting anything as far as the inside decor of your home. YOU bought it, YOU will pay the mortgage for it, not them. Get what you want
    gash460 agradeció a diyher
  • PRO
    Comforts of Home
    hace 9 años
    Over 20 years ago, we had a custom maple kitchen built. The carpenter came in with wood stains and I knew we would not be staining these cabinets. Oak was the color of choice back then. I knew I would not want to live with the same color cabinets for 25 years. We chose to have the doors made of MDF because of shrinkage when painting, my husband's idea

We started out with cabinets painted white, then went with different shades of mustard and a navy island, my primitive phase. I resisted the temptation to distress them or put a glaze on. Now they are 3 shades of buttermilk and linen white. I have different glass inserts for some of the doors and extra hardware. In a bronze phase at the moment.

We used a white solid surface in the island and real butcher block on counter tops and in the butlers pantry. Have never regretted any of these decisions. Don't know if this helps but wish you the best with your new kitchen:)
    gash460 agradeció a Comforts of Home
  • PRO
    Tom Price at Riverhead Building Supply
    hace 9 años
    White painted kitchens provide a classic, timeless look. Like a white button down shirt it will never go out of style. I'm in agreement with many of the other posters, Do what you love most. I am curious, what your builder/Realtor object to about white cabinets?
    gash460 agradeció a Tom Price at Riverhead Building Supply
  • PRO
    RJK Construction Inc
    hace 9 años
    White kitchens continue to be very popular with our clients. It is your home, so you should design it to your liking. Good luck.
    gash460 agradeció a RJK Construction Inc
  • gash460
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I want to thank everyone for your advice and comments. I am going to follow my heart and go with what I love....the soft white kitchen.
  • PRO
    Electrolux US
    hace 9 años
    There is some great feedback in this thread and we think it is fabulous that you are going with your gut! We also agree that white kitchens have stood the test of time - see here for our ideabook with some great photos for inspiration: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/19328051/thumbs/Electrolux-White-Kitchens
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.