Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

POLL: New build or old timer?

Emmeline Westin
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 10 años
New builds are often criticised for being too small or lacking soul, whereas older properties can be draughty and not adapted to modern living. On the other hand, older properties can have beautiful period features, and new builds are well insulated.

If you were to choose, what would you prefer? Would you rather live in a new-build or in a historical property?

Private Home in Chiswick, London · Más información
New-build
Old timer

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    Cure Design Group
    hace 10 años
    I like the character and history of an old home, however that is something to be said for building exactly what you dream of...
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 10 años
    I love a house with history I am a designer that for years told my clients the joy of renovating and I still believe in that.
  • Emmeline Westin
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I guess you live in a period property then, Patricia?
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    hace 10 años
    Love the charm of older homes and always glad to see them beautifully maintained or lovingly restored. But once you go new, it's hard to go back. It feels good knowing what's behind the sheet rock, under the sub-floor and all the other hidden areas!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • designideas4me
    hace 10 años
    The new houses where I live are amazing. Why would I want to live with a period feature? I finally got rid of that issue and am in menapause now.
  • Rina
    hace 9 años
    I think I have a vague memory possibly of something from Anne of Green Gables -- that a house is not a home until someone has been born there, someone has married there, and someone has died there. I'm childishly attached to that thought. And I love so many past periods of design.

However, can one afford to maintain the old? And modern can be beautiful. But how good was the builder?
  • PRO
    Chichi Furniture
    hace 9 años
    Can I meet in the middle and go modern country chic!! I love old for character and charm, but not pokey and small, love modern and new but not when its cold and characterless. I'd love to renovate a large farmhouse/cottage to have a stunning up to date, but in keeping with the charm interior :O)
  • PRO
    Blinds 2go
    hace 9 años
    This is a tough one... There's something magical about an old time home and with traditional decor they can have a beautiful, rustic feel... But then new builds are so imaginative and unique!
    So, we're going to have to say new builds.
  • jackydahlhaus
    hace 9 años
    We just moved out or our new built home and bought a 100+ year old property. Although it has many challenges I have never felt more at home and would never, ever move back into a new house anymore! This old house has so much character, so many surprises (including the bats!), so much beauty that can never be achieved with a modern build. But I must admit you have to have two right hands and a bit of cash on hand to restore old buildings to their former glory (with a bit of modern technology added of course)...
  • PRO
    Tyack Architects Ltd
    hace 8 años

I think either can be the perfect house, it will depend on the client and of course design.

• PRO
    Architects-Direct.com
    hace 8 años

All old properties have potential

• PRO
    CPR Architects
    hace 8 años

It's always interesting to see the potential in old buildings and transform them to suit modern day living.

• PRO
    Dell Developments Ltd
    hace 8 años

New builds are more energy efficient and future proof

• PRO
    Barth Properties Limited
    hace 8 años

The prefect house can be made in an old building and It is very easy to be drawn towards the character that most people love. Having said this there is a lot to say for new build properties. With the huge leap forward in technology, new builds are far more efficient than older houses. New builds can be built to any specification whilst also retaining all the character and design of an old house.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I'm a huge proponent of building new homes based on historical precedents. Many of the various period styles really nailed appropriate dimensions and proportions. Sadly, many current architects are uneducated (or have consciously rejected) historical precedents. There's a reason that Greek temples still resonate with us today: they were built with proportions that are inately pleasing to the eye. I recently built a new home that is based on a traditional Charleston, SC "single house" and I am very pleased with the positive reactions of my guests. It is possible to build a house in an architectural style that will stand the test of time, whilst incorporating modern efficiencies and a layout that is compatible with modern life!

• PRO
    Hayward Smart Architects
    hace 7 años

Voted!

• ianthy
    hace 7 años

Love our period house but I am rather envious when my sister has her new build house decorated at a fraction of what it costs to do a room in our Edwardian house. I think that's the real difference the cost and need for ongoing maintenance in older/period properties can be very high.

• PRO
    Autor Architecture
    hace 7 años

Voted!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.