Houzz Logo Print
will_weider

Keep it or Cover it?

Will Weider
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 10 años
We found this sign, originally painted in 1891, behind the plaster in our commercial building which we are renovating into our home. Apparently these Mail Pouch signs are iconic Americana. We were planning to have a very traditionally designed residence (NOT loft-style). But now we are considering leaving the sign and brick exposed in what would be our Kitchen and dining room. We have been cleaning the sign up to see what it would look like (that is why one part is more vibrant). What is your vote?

Comentarios (234)

• Brandi
    hace 10 años
    Love it. It's beautiful.
    Will Weider agradeció a Brandi
  • shawneeguimond
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    nostalgic! It's art!
    Will Weider agradeció a shawneeguimond
  • joe12333
    hace 10 años
    This is VERY far from my style ( colonial, traditional) but even I think this is awesome! I would keep it!
    Will Weider agradeció a joe12333
  • User
    hace 10 años
    The decision has been made to keep it....
    Will Weider agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Bartel Kitchen and Bath
    hace 10 años
    I am soo Glad that you are going to keep it. I think you can make a beautiful space using this.
    Will Weider agradeció a Bartel Kitchen and Bath
  • jseviertn
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    What you currently have has generated a lot of activity on here, I think that should tell you something. I had a condo in the original Piggly Warehouse in Memphis. There was graffiti in the basement from 1929. We all loved it. Isn't stuff like this the reason you liked the structure in the first place? You don't see painted brick walls anymore. Plus it's your Easter Egg, you found this hidden gem! You won't be happy telling people about it in the future when it's removed or covered up and they can't see it with their own eyes.
    Will Weider agradeció a jseviertn
  • Lou Ann McCutcheon
    hace 10 años
    Do you have photos of your graffiti walls?
  • jseviertn
    hace 10 años
    Unfortunately, I do not think I took any. It was almost more of a beautiful font than graffiti.
  • chuffyd
    hace 9 años
    This is so cool and unique!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    hace 9 años
    Any updates on how your place has turned out??? You KNOW we would surely love to see?
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 9 años
    It doesn't have to be a house warming party, images will do, unless . . .
  • auntiebuzzybee
    hace 9 años
    unless you insist...
  • Will Weider
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I finally created a Houzz project to share some pictures from our renovation. I will ad some more pictures later, but these show what we did with the space surrounding the sign above. Yes, we kept it: http://www.houzz.com/projects/898675
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 9 años
    Epic!
  • toats
    hace 9 años
    TOATS JEALOUS!
  • joeymc96
    hace 9 años
    Keep. I love it. I can definitely see mixing traditional and loft elements together.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    hace 9 años
    Oh yes, more pics please. Looks like rather than blast color off, you painted back richer colours and added a wall... I'm straining my neck but juuuust can't see enough:) Hope you love it! That's so important and it looks like you do. I imagine it is quite the conversation piece as we all thought it would be. It doesn't take away from your home as in dominates the conversation but rather adds to the.... You know??? You just aren't going to find something this cool any anybody else's designs or homes or anywhere... It is all yours.. That's it. It's one in a million or at least several hundred thousand. Just name your place "Envy, (if only you were me, you'd know how great this is)" Congrats! More photos please! And thanks for sharing.
  • Carolina
    hace 9 años
    So glad you kept it. It's fantastic. Love your loft and what you did with it. I particularly like the dining table and chairs together with the fabulous mural. I live in a former industrial building too and would have loved to have a feature like that. I'm well jel! :-)
  • User
    hace 9 años
    No question you made the right decision, it's fabulous!
  • Carolina
    hace 9 años
    What did you seal it with?
  • PRO
    LC Neill Original Oil Paintings
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I was just about to say keep it, then saw the comments above and pictures you posted. Nice work. I particularly like the dining room, where the artwork shines. If you get tired of it, you can always build a false wall with furring strips & sheetrock, paint it black and hang an awesome piece of artwork that is meaningful to you.
  • Kurt Eisenburger
    hace 9 años
    omg keep it
  • lowenjenn
    hace 9 años
    That is super cool I would absolutely leave it!
  • Carolina
    hace 9 años
    It's always nice when people pay attention... :-))
  • Hannah Graham
    hace 9 años
    Keep!!!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 9 años
    Thank you and congratulations to Will Weider for not choosing the easy route, and doing what it takes to preserve such an artifact.

Congratulations to McWall for skillfully planning the design to maximize the preservation of the sign taking in all the constraints.
  • dclostboy
    hace 9 años
    Fireplace wall is awesome...what's it clad with?
  • Brittany Wiecek
    hace 9 años
    Keep it, without a doubt! If anything you can have it refurbished or glazed so that the colors are touched up and pop more. This will save you lots of money that might otherwise have been spent in finding mirrors, pictures, accessories to cover that enormous wall.
  • asquithoatley
    hace 9 años
    Love it, can't wait to see more!
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Fabulous! Thank you, Will and mcwall, for saving this.
  • printesa
    hace 9 años
    That looks amazing! I wish I could find a building like this
  • nwduck
    hace 9 años
    Really glad to hear you saved this, and like the outcome. If you've got more photos, we're all eyes. :)
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    hace 9 años
    I am so happy that you decided to keep this treasure. I wish you much success in create the home of your dreams. I have a few blog posts that I think will help you quite a bit.

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog
  • Lou Ann McCutcheon
    hace 9 años
    The fireplace wall is clad in
    PORCELANOSA |
    Model #:V56217001
    17 in. x 26 in. Ferroker Porcelain tile
  • Lou Ann McCutcheon
    hace 9 años
    The wall with the sign was professionally restored. There was no paint added. It was meticulously cleaned and sealed. I am not remembering the sealer used. Perhaps Will can comment on that.
  • nicholus
    hace 9 años
    Definitely a keeper.

Thinking the same as Aggies point to cover with glazing, but add lighting to shower the inner cavity. This way you can control how prominently the sign shows up at various times in the day.

If splitting rooms is an issue, use of shaped glass, arch top , French door styles openings etc could frame the segments as well.
  • surenar
    hace 9 años
    you can make the sign work with any kind of design wether you are planning modern or traditional you can make it work I think if you were to cover it you would not be able to look at the wall without thinking maybe you should have kept it. if you really dont like it later there several fairly easy ways to change it.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    Keep it! What a fun and interesting find!
  • printesa
    hace 9 años
    They kept it. If you look a bit higher, there is a link to the finished project. It looks amazing
  • Will Weider
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The restoration folks used a polyurethane product. the first few coats needed to be dabbed on because the paint was very flaky. the last 2 coats were rolled on.
  • deaners101
    hace 9 años
    Keep it!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Oh geez.....
  • Kurt Eisenburger
    hace 9 años
    I wonder if that wall is actually worth money!!!!! That could be considered art????
  • wyndyacre
    hace 9 años
    Thanks so much for coming back with an update on your renos and PHOTOS! It was a stunning find and we're so glad you kept it.
    Now we need a detailed HOUZZ story on it....hint, hint....
  • ccooper24
    hace 8 años

Keep it.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 8 años

Well done.

• KD
    hace 8 años

How cool.

• sheilaskb
    hace 8 años

I believe I would keep it and get light grey furniture to blend with it.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 7 años

You are so lucky, KEEP it for sure and design your room around it !

• Sherri
    hace 3 años

A keeper!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.