Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Do you still have actual phones (not cells) in your house? How many?

Emily H
hace 10 años
I actually gave up my landline years ago and haven't looked back, but I know that is not the case for everyone! Do you still have landlines in your house? If so, how many and where do you keep them?

Share your experience!

Contemporary Hall · Más información

Comentarios (80)

• Rachel H
    hace 10 años
    I like to have a landline for security reasons but oddly the phone hasn't been plugged back in since I updated my kitchen many months ago. Oops!
  • PRO
    Elizabeth Bolton - ReMax Destiny
    hace 10 años
    I love my landlines! I hate talking on a cell phone - though I do it all day long - it's like holding a calculator to my head. I have "real" phones in the kitchen, office and two bedrooms. Most are vintage Princess or desk top models plus a vintage-style Pottery Barn phone.

One thing that makes me super sad - I threw Comcast under the bus last year and when I gave up the idea of going cable-free (after less than a week!) Verizon took away my copper line - now the dial phone I had in the guest room doesn't work.
  • loreshep
    hace 10 años
    Down here on the little island where we live, cell phones are still a "brand new" thing!! Imagine that America!
  • Karen Ginas
    hace 10 años
    Love the land line cells too but am now getting into classy looking ones in all rooms. Ones that are always right where I left it!
  • homefor36years
    hace 10 años
    We have a land line because we live in a rural area and if the power goes off it is the only way to get service. We live in the timber and the cell phone doesn't work until you get out of the trees. The three cordless phones won't work either if the power goes off.
  • marlena27
    hace 10 años
    4. I love our landlines. That's the phone we look for for important calls.
  • armygirl1987
    hace 10 años
    I still have a landline.
  • rbridges
    hace 10 años
    We love a land line.....we lose connection with all that have cellphones at one time or another. We just have one phone in the kitchen. People who come to our house....don't get good service where we are. It doesn't seem to matter who the provider is.
  • Melissa Strouse
    hace 10 años
    Not only do I still have a landline but one of my phones is a very much cherished refurbished original pink princess phone I found on ebay several years ago.
  • Donna Charette
    hace 10 años
    I have a landline , I find the cell a pain in the house because it keeps cutting out
  • januarisun
    hace 10 años
    Haven't had a land line in over 8 years. When we bought our house, we had all of the jacks removed, spackled and painted over. :)
  • sally78
    hace 10 años
    Of course, we have a landline. Need for faxing.
  • zaza
    hace 10 años
    I am old fashion, cannot live without the security of land line. have four cordless. in the kitchen, master bedroom, office and Garage in case I am locked out.
  • bgfuqua
    hace 10 años
    I have land line for DSL computer hook up and for home security system.
  • Monique Barrow
    hace 10 años
    Yes, We have three cordless ones, each on every floor. It's still much cheaper than our Iphones
  • pariscafe
    hace 10 años
    Sadly, no. I say sadly because I miss having a 'real' phone. Although we have Foxtel which has a landline number my husband sees no need for it. We all have mobiles and use Skype or the internet phone for overseas and long distance. Landlines in Australia are more expensive than the US. We pay a line rental plus a fee for each call. Mobiles with free calls to mobiles on the same network are much cheaper. Public pay phones are few and far between these days. I saw far more on my last trip to the US.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    hace 10 años
    Love my cell phone, but I'm a member of the land line phone club too. It comes with DSL, is toll free, cheaper than most cell packages and I don't have to worry about recharging it all the time. Besides, a phone in the kitchen just seems like, well.... home sweet home to me.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • onnie128
    hace 10 años
    NO land line!
  • Sigrid
    hace 10 años
    We have a land line, but the price per call was about the same as pay-as-you-go, so if the house hadn't come with it, we probably wouldn't have bothered. We have Fairpoint, which has been incompetent to the point of making us wonder how they stay in business.
  • gloria56
    hace 10 años
    I'm old school. I still have a phone and land line.
  • PRO
    Custom Creations & Interiors
    hace 10 años
    We do not have a land line at home. We eliminated it in 2010 due to political robo calls during dinner and then the bill for our basic line went up $5.00 per month. I do have one at my business of course and still list in the yellow pages although not as extensively as in the past
  • ronnie1950
    hace 10 años
    I'm with edithsmom. Can't hear well enough on the cell phones unless it is really quiet in the room and cannot hear it ringing if I am not close by until I've missed the call. (Don't always wear something with pockets to accommodate the phone.) We have 5 cordless phones and one corded phone. Love the convenience! Can even take the cordless out to the garden when we are doing yard work. Our daughter and son-in-law were adamant that they didn't need a land line and could rely only on their cells, until my son-in-law's younger brother (did not have his own phone) came to visit and they went to work. They realized that in case of emergency, he had no way of calling 911. His parents bought my daughter and her husband an Ooma for Christmas. Now they love it because they can turn off their cells and really be "off work" after business hours.
  • ronnie1950
    hace 10 años
    But we use the cells for traveling.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    We have a phone in the kitchen that we never answer but have there in case of I don't know what. But we have telephone jacks for the satellite.
  • Melissa E
    hace 10 años
    We get terrible cell phone reception in our house so we do keep a "home" phone as well. It isn't quite a land line though- we use Magic Jack, it runs through our computer. We pay $20 a year for the phone service (free long distance)- there are no other fees....that's it and totally worth it. We have a phone on each floor of our house, so three.
  • robojo
    hace 10 años
    We have 2 land lines and we each have a cell phone. The joys of being self employed.
    The political calls and telemarketers are making me consider being done with the personal line. But, being a business owner, we will likely always have at least one land line.
  • Christalyn
    hace 10 años
    My father got rid his landline a few years back, and I thought nothing of it. Then a hurricane rolled in and took all of the cell towers out for weeks. I had to call his next door neighbor to find out if he was alive. Luckily they had not evacuated. That was the most nerve racking day of my life. Living in a hurricane zone, convinced me that my land line is worth it. If my father had an emergency, he would have been out of luck.
  • smacasa
    hace 10 años
    I hope folks aren't confusing at-home phone service from your internet provider with a landline. If the power goes out, so does your phone -- unlike a real landline that will still work. And remember your cordless phones won't work without power, so in an emergency you need at least one corded phone in order to be able to call out.
  • marfenster
    hace 10 años
    couldn't be without a landline ...we have 2 upstairs 2 downstairs....
  • Mel Cook
    hace 10 años
    both...no cell reception here....
  • lxgram
    hace 10 años
    Only Verizon works in our area, so use it for long distance. Need a land line for internet plus it works when power goes out. No choice & land line plus internet is $77 per month.
  • Branka Gosovic
    hace 10 años
    I am giving up of anything wireless - it make me sick...

I bout two new -old phones for home and they look great. My cell is just for emergency from now on...
  • Momof5x
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Funny you mentioned this but I was remembering something I saw on the Dr. Oz show recently, that if you had a land line phone, in an emergency you can be located exactly but if you called by mobile from your home, it will not give exact location so emergency people would be looking in an area around your real location. So, by having a land line, it saves emergency time.

Having said that we used to have land line phones but everyone has a mobile now so we no longer have one .
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Yes, one for emergencies. Never have had one, but peace of mind at $21. monthly is worth it. I do use it to screen calls when getting isurance, car, etc... bids. I was thrilled to remove the kitchen jack when we remodeled - that thing was an eyesore.
  • Radlie Hunter
    hace 9 años
    My dad decided to make our home business in our basement. We have to have a phone at every work desk. When you are in a business environment you often have to have land-lines because of job turnover. Even in a home business you have to deal with job turnover so we probably have 20 land-lines in one house. http://www.telesupportinc.com/services.htm
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    hace 9 años
    For emergency use only never answer it...just use the cell
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    hace 9 años
    Having a landline plus a cell sounds to me like double dipping one self, i.e. why pay double when one option over the other is efficient.
  • wickedxx
    hace 9 años
    I have a landline but I don't really use it much. Need a landline for power outages. Portables don't work. My landline speaks who is calling, so I ignore every 1 800- number. Well actually I ignore all the calls since anyone who knows me calls my cell. It's fun to give people nicknames! It's more or less just a back up plan phone. I mostly use my cell.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

Still have a land line; 3 corded and 3 cordless phones in the house. It's cheap - only about $25 a month!

• smileythecat
    hace 8 años

The problem is cell phone call quality can be so bad, landlines work and are much cheaper than cell phone service, cell phones are handy though. I think you should have both.

• PRO
    Kitchen Works-Leicht Los Angeles
    hace 7 años

Love this discussion post!! Great question for everyone...I love the old fashion phones in this discussion thread :D

• PRO
    Herbeau - Winckelmans Tiles - Line Art Vanities
    hace 7 años

This is a really interesting discussion! I gave up my landline years ago & never looked back, but that hasn't stopped me from becoming obsessed with the phone in this picture- I want one, even if it's only for decoration lol

• Casandra383 Dean
    hace 7 años
    We ditched the land line about 9 years ago. We have a DSL hookup, but not sure if you could call from it if you hooked up a phone?? We have 4 cell phones and no one ever used the LL phone except to call a missing cell phone!
  • pdk920
    hace 7 años

I have a landline, came with the house 46 years ago. I like knowing it's there if the power goes off. Plus people who call me on cell phones are frequently cut off when their phones die; mine never does! I don't own a cell; if I drove I would, but otherwise it's not needed. I have phones in the living room, the kitchen and my upstairs bedroom.

• Dorothy Pohorelow
    hace 7 años

Landline here. As I told the cable guy trying to push me into a cable phone I want to be able to call and tell them the internet and cable tv are down... Tried a cell phone "house phone" took them 2 WEEKS to turn it on and even then it never worked right and then of course they don't want the equipment back so you are stuck paying for something you never use... For the landline we have a portable with 3 head sets plus base AND old reliable black phone. As mentioned when cells and cable fail those plug in the wall phones still work.

• Halina Siedlikowski
    hace 4 años

Still have a landline.when there was a tornado and cell service and power were down, we could call our friends who had internet to get information about where to get ice for fridge, if restaurants were open for food, etc.we will not give up our landline for that reason.

• chiflipper
    hace 4 años

Ah, it must be nice to have choices. At the house, no landline service is available and cel doesn't work for beans because the so-called "providers" will not install enough towers for out-of-town coverage. The cable company is the only option...unless you've learned how to send smoke signals.

• pdk920
    hace 4 años

I gave up the landline for combined Internet/phone svc because of the expense of the landline. A few weeks later the phone and Internet svc went out for 4 days. I wasn't surprised at all but landline had just become too expensive.

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

Landline phones are important for hardwired burglar alarm systems. I personally don’t trust battery alarm systems. Satellite cable can go out on cloudy or stormy days, so they are not reliable either. Of course, things are changing and improving every year. Front door and other exterior camera systems can communicate with the homeowner and the security company.
    For now, though, we will keep our land line.

• Caitlin Kelly
    hace 2 años

Nope, no landline. My Husband and I got married in 2007 and just never got one.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.