Houzz Logo Print
pat_vanderwater

1972 bath makeover

Pat Vanderwater
hace 10 años
Being a retired widow on a limited budget redoing this bath was a major decision. Over the years we have changed the wall paper several times, then removed the paper, removed swinging doors from the front part to the back part, changed the counter top & floors but alway decorated around the green tub and potty. We knew removing a cast iron tub would be lots of work and expense. Also the tub and tile were in PERFECT shape.
Well I finally bit the bullet and did the best I could. I had the cabinets refaced and painted, added 5 drawers, removed the wall between the front and back, put an arch in the ceiling, framed my old mirror with the arch theme, removed the fir down over the old mirror. Tiled the back part ceiling to floor, glass wall for shower, all new hardware, and a neat faucet you can't see here. I LOVE the new soaker tub. These pictures don't do it justice.

Comentarios (50)

• condomary
    hace 10 años
    Lovely
  • mmers
    hace 10 años
    Looks really lovely.
  • suzanne_m
    hace 10 años
    Congratulations! This is very very nice. You made your bathroom look a lot larger too!
  • nechamaj
    hace 10 años
    Wow! Gorgeous! I love how opening up the tub area affects the space and how the repeated arches convey intention in the design!!
  • nechamaj
    hace 10 años
    Question: where did the bulkhead go and are there any ceiling light fixtures in the bathroom?
  • Pat Vanderwater
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Nechamaj, not sure what a bulkhead is but we took out the drop down over the sink area. Yes we installed 3 can lights in the ceiling plus the new vent fan / heater has a light fixture in it. There is lots of light. We put dimmer switches on the can lights also.
    I forgot to mention we also widened the door to handicap size.
  • emgio
    hace 10 años
    This is a beautiful transformation! The soaker tub is amazing! How much larger is the new tub from the old standard tub?
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    hace 10 años
    Wow!
  • Pat Vanderwater
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Emgio, the new tub is 20 inches where the old tub was about 13 or 14 inches.
  • Pat Vanderwater
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Email, sorry that is tub depth. The length is the same. The new tub is also insulated to keep in the heat where the old cast iron tub just drew the heat out of the water. I can totally submerge in this one. LOVE IT. It is made by Kohler - Devonshire design
  • trnorman
    hace 10 años
    I love the mirror where is it from? you said you framed the old mirror, how was that done?
  • Pat Vanderwater
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Trnorman, the cabinet shop that refaced my cabinets made the frame for my mirror. One big piece of plywood cut in the arch shape - trim added to the back to hold the mirror in the frame - then all the molding trim was added to the front.
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    hace 10 años
    Very nice bathroom!
  • Carole Dumoulin
    hace 10 años
    wow nice job love the new bathroom. We did ours a few months ago too
  • Laurel Ennis
    hace 10 años
    Sometimes I say I liked the old one just fine...but no. Blue tub and toilet had to go.
  • PRO
    Dufour Design LLC
    hace 10 años
    Well executed...congratulations on taking the plunge and biting the bullet... I am certain you are enjoying and using this space more often then ever before.
  • nmanspach
    hace 10 años
    Good for you! It looks beautiful!
  • lilychin
    hace 10 años
    What the heck were we thinking? I remember choosing brown and blue bathroom fixtures! Eek.
  • lucky708
    hace 10 años
    Great job. It looks beautiful. Love the openness of the new design.
  • Lisa Davis
    hace 10 años
    Absolutely gorgeous! I know you'll enjoy this! Great job!
  • Nicole
    hace 10 años
    Looks so much better, so airy and open
  • ananek
    hace 10 años
    i like that you love Acropolis...I have the same in my bedroom. love from hellas
  • Cheryl Lunetta
    hace 10 años
    Very nice & up to date.
  • Sandra Romine_Welch
    hace 10 años
    Love it!!
  • Stephanie Giuliano
    hace 10 años
    Love love it. i want mine to be just like yours
  • Jane Fowler
    hace 10 años
    Love it!!
  • Mark
    hace 10 años
    Well done !
  • jenandhermen
    hace 10 años
    I think you did a beautiful job without having to change the basic footprint. It's so nice to see a transformation that doesn't require major construction but results in something completely different and beautiful.
  • bvisailor
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful job. :)
  • Rosemary Hess
    hace 10 años
    Thats exactly my bathroom layout and I want to put up that half wall. Nice to see it done. I might also try putting the toilet tank in the wall (don't know wha that's called) which would move the toilet seat back. Well, for sure a smaller water reserve than I have now for toilet. Bathroom looks great and makes me want to move forward with mine.
  • txrlj
    hace 10 años
    very nice and very well done
  • katej9410
    hace 10 años
    very, very nice! I know you'll enjoy being in this room. Relaxing
  • Carol Senk
    hace 10 años
    Absolutely love the way it looks but I prefer the toilet closed in. Just my preference
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful job!! What was behind the overhang over the sink? I have always wondered what is behind those?
  • Mary Burbary_Champion
    hace 10 años
    Wow, a real life renovation from a real life person that didn't cost a million dollars! It looks absolutely beautiful. Very luxurious, you did a great job!
  • debsurreal
    hace 10 años
    Wow! Lovely transformation!
  • lebuc
    hace 10 años
    is that carpet? you must not have boys! we did quartz and with boys, that's bad enough!
  • Linda W
    hace 10 años
    Wow! Looks great!!
  • Pat Vanderwater
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Iebus, no carpet. A couple of throw rugs. The floor tile matches the wall tile.
  • Pat Vanderwater
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    7768, the enclosure over the sink held an ugly recessed light fixture in years past. Don't know why we didn't take it out in 1995 - but took out the old light fixture and closed it in before hanging the new fixture back then. Taking that enclosure and the wall out really opened it up and made it feel larger. We also made the door handicap accessible which opened it up more to give it a feels of being larger.
  • lebuc
    hace 10 años
    ahhhh I see that now! looks fantastic! love the colour and the tile detail - I bet the picture doesn't do it justice - great job!
  • janicedonato
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful!
  • karensoxfan
    hace 10 años
    The renovation/remodel results are beautiful! I'd love to know where you find a glass wall like that for the shower, where there's no sliding or swinging door attached? Thanks in advance if you have a chance to reply. :)
    hace 10 años
    Pat Vanderwater
    Thanks for the information. It does looks so much larger and taller now. Great idea, and perfect for handicap wheelchair accessible. It looks great, I know you are enjoying it!
  • Thabo Machethe
    hace 10 años
    Definitely the most beautiful bathroom I've seen!
  • quilttale
    hace 10 años
    It is gorgeous; you must be so thrilled.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Wow, it is gorgeous!!
  • Mary Ann Peterman
    hace 10 años
    Great solution to that common separate wet room so prevalent back then. Love the arch. This is great layout for new construction also
  • Deirdre Swan
    hace 10 años
    Gorgeous!!!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.