Houzz Logo Print
annie_k

Kitchen help!

Annie
hace 10 años
We moved into this place with a small closed-off kitchen. A total overhaul including opening it up to the dining room is in its future, but I want to make it more livable in the meantime without blowing my budget. I ultimately would bring in the hardwood floors, but for now the tile has to stay.

Comentarios (42)

• Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    My tentative to-do list is:
    Window trim and treatment
    Replace over-range microwave with a hood
    Backsplash and paint
    Add crown to cabinets
    Paint cabinets

I really like the look of white cabinets, but I think it would be too bland with the beige tile. I am considering white on uppers with a darker wood color on the base cabinets (a la rustoleum cabinet transformations or java gel stain) but I am worried that those look more like brown paint then actual dark species of wood. I am open to replacing the counters if I can find something reasonable. Things like light fixtures, range hood, etc. that could be used again later will take precedence in my budget. Any other ideas for freshening up the place on a budget????
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 10 años
    honestly, all of the clutter of items, (which im sure you need more storage for), and the over sized lovely new appliances you put in make it feel more cramped. I know you can't do anything about that!! But clearing off the uppers might help you not feel so cluttered in there.... maybe you could put a few floating shelves in the area where the microwave looks like it used to go? and put some of the smaller items of the counter onto them?
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

symmetrical focal point

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hi, Provenca The current trend is to install all the high kitchen cabinets on one side, without respecting mirror symmetry. I hope I've helped to answer your question. Visit us at Facebook :-) Gabriela Rojman | puzzle arquitectura
    ...Ver más

HELP - contractor totalled quote incorrectly, now says owe +10,000

Q

(5) comentarios
    @Cruca : Thank you for responding We both signed the original AND a mid-renovations updated contract, and both totalled 40.000. However, at the very end, he recognised an error on the final total, and explained that if I add up all the individual items, it totals 50.000. I understand, but he knew my budget was 40.000, and now because the work is finished, I can't even remove or reduce any of the work. It just seems unfair, because everyone could say that all the time. I trusted my builder, and as it was a printed document, I assumed all his calculations were correct!
    ...Ver más

Pls help with floor plan design

Q

(0) comentarios
    Gm everybody, My wife and me are trying to design our new kitchen, and we are a bit concern about its location in the house. This is a DIY project, so we are looking for opinions. As you can see in the picture, we are creating the kitchen room at the left bottom side and keeping a garden at the left upper. Our first idea was to locate the kitchen close to the living door (upper in the picture) but we would like to mantain the garden. Thanks in advance for any kind of help!! Rodri
    ...Ver más

HOW TO COVER A KITCHEN DUCT VENT

Q

(2) comentarios
    Hola SARAH: I've never seen those kind of vents. It's not that they look bad. They are simply strangers, but as CECILIA tells you, they will be valid in an industrial concept, as the photo joint shown. It's not a romantic atmosphere, nor for art lovers. It's just a little ugly.
    ...Ver más
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 10 años
    or hang a magnet strip there for all your knives and spoons, clear off some more counter space...
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes, the oversized appliances are a problem I inherited, but don't plant ore place them right now. I have thought about open shelving where there appears to be a microwave hole.
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    Consider taking the doors off the upper cabinets on either side of the window. Paint all of the cabinets in light Gray and the interior of the open cabinets in a White, Repaint the room the same as, or a little darker, than the cabinets. At the center of the room hang a chrome grid panel or a simple pot rack. Hang some of your better looking cutting boards and pans from this.
  • gillhillier
    hace 10 años
    Would u be interested in a used but in very good condition kitchen?
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Gillhillier- What do you mean?
  • gillhillier
    hace 10 años
    Are u near the Bristol area
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 10 años
    she already has storage issues..not sure taking off doors will help....just saying....
  • User
    hace 10 años
    You say you want the kitchen to be "more livable." Can you define what you mean by livable and what about it is not livable as it currently is?
  • User
    hace 10 años
    It really is about too much stuff on the counters, etc... Try to pare down, keep surfaces clear and limit the colors that are on display. If you're anywhere near Marshall's or Home Goods keep an eye out for storage organizers for the cabinets.
  • puzzlebird
    hace 10 años
    I think your to-do list is pretty good, but have you thought about how much space there is between your upper cabs and the ceiling? Perhaps crown is not the best solution.
  • PRO
    Joe Real Estate Renovations
    hace 10 años
    Add crown molding to cabinets
    Add glass backsplash 18"
    Put on new Formica countertop that resembles a black onyx granite
    Replace cabinet knobs with brushed nickel 4-6" long pulls
    Trim out the window
  • jhx1
    hace 10 años
    Why crown molding, hood and window trim? It seems like those will add visual clutter and might wait until you do the big remodel...

Having the microwave above the range keeps it off the counter or from having to go on a shelf...

I think I might contrast the traditional details of the cabinetry with sleek modern details to go with window... If the window does need treatment for privacy, I'd go with simple light filtering blinds possibly....

I agree with the suggestions to both pare down items above the cabinets and on the counters as well as get a few nice looking storage bins to hold whatever items you do choose to keep and store above the cabinets.

It seems counterintuitive, given all the visual noise going on now, but I think some bright cement tiles for a back splash might really make the room lively. I'm just not sure how to deal with the window that intrudes on the back splash space. Possibly the entire walls.

And if you paint the cabinets a creamy ivory.
  • jhx1
    hace 10 años
    Here's a simple cement tile back splash that incorporates some modern clean edge shelves in the design
    Hope Ranch Malibu · Más información
  • jhx1
    hace 10 años
    Here's a wall of varied cement tile
    Cuban Breakfast Nook · Más información
  • rocketjcat
    hace 10 años
    If you're going to paint cabinets anyway, maybe you could find inexpensive unpainted cabinets to fill in the tops of yours up to the ceiling? If not maybe just rectangular wicker storage baskets/boxes lined up could fill in the space and help to clear off your counter. I wouldn't spend any money on crown molding... Make that empty space work for you instead of just trying to decorate it.
  • rocketjcat
    hace 10 años
    ^^^^ maybe baskets like this lined up would be an inexpensive solution.
    http://houzz.com/photos/111263
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Rocketjcat- I thought about getting smaller cabs to fill the space to the ceiling, but couldn't find any examples where that had been done successfully. Have you seen it done? Would love an example.
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Oh, you already put up an example. Thanks!
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    As for the rest of the things on the counter, this is mostly stuff that I am sorting through, since I only recently moved in. I am actually having a large pantry built behind the wall that is directly to my back while taking this picture, which should help immensely with the organization issue. I am more looking for paint color/tile/cabinet/ window suggestions.
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    My rationale behind taking down the above range microwave and cabs is because it juts out into the room really far. I was thinking a hood would be more low-profile. I am having an outlet for a microwave put into the pantry that I mentioned before.
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    hace 10 años
    I agree with rocketjcat. It appears you're using the tops of your cabinets for storage and if you need that space, baskets are an attractive way to go. Not easy to reach, but useful! I was going to suggest clearing that area and putting interesting accents up there -- pottery or pretty vases -- just for looks to perk up the ambiance. If storage is a problem, puzzlebird made a good suggestion: put infrequently used items in large plastic storage containers and keep them in the garage or pantry, so you can give your kitchen a temporary face lift!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    hace 10 años
    Paint color?! One of my favorite subjects -- be right back!

• PRO
    Thos. Baker
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    If you're going to paint the cabinets down the road, but are interested in painting the walls now and getting a head start on redesigning your kitchen, you may as well pick a wall color that will go with your new two-tone kitchen cabinets and see how you like living with it.

I'm posting photos of kitchens with white uppers and dark lowers. Give us some idea which color group you're thinking about for the future to help with wall color ideas now.

The bottom right photo is an actual home remodel that hasn't yet been completed.

• Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks Christi, I love the first one!
  • rocketjcat
    hace 10 años
    Annie, i think your biggest problem in the entire space is the stove, and moving the microwave isn't going to help that. What is in the bump out behind it that is making the stove project into the wall so much? A closet? If so I think I would fix that before doing anything else. Or is it mechanicals?
  • laurakdesigns
    hace 10 años
    How far down the road are you planning the big remodel? Replacing the microwave with a hood won't give you the improvement you're looking for. The profile will draw even more attention to that area. Same for the tile backsplash. Paint will freshen up everything and help immensely. Once you get a window treatment and are able to put things away it will make a huge difference too. I like the photos of the painted cabinets it's a fun look.
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Unfortunately, the bump-out is an old chimney, and can't easily be removed. In fact, I think some of the ductwork was run through there, so it is probably never coming down. Oh the joys of owning a 120 year old house...
  • PRO
    Elizabeth McGreevy
    hace 10 años
    Your kitchen looks like mine did before I painted it. Same problem with being small. I painted the wood cabinet doors glossy white and added shiny black knobs and pulls. I painted the frame up the upper cabinet white, but the lower cabinet frame a medium aqua. I then painted the walls a light aqua. The aqua REALLY opened up the space. I then added fire engine red and black accents. My floors are laminate and are being messed up by the dog water bowl, so I'm going to paint the floors with a black and white checkered pattern. You could paint the tile the same way.
  • laurielynne
    hace 10 años
    I like white cabinets as well, and I don't think it would be too bland with your tile floor, in fact I think it would make it look lighter and airier (and therefore bigger!). There are a ton of pic here on Houzz that you could look with that colour scheme. I think if you take the suggestion of using baskets on your top cupboards and perhaps tile your backsplash (even the peel and stick kind if you are going to do structural changes down the road), some new hardware, you would be thrilled with the change. Good luck and have fun!
  • Sharon Schofield
    hace 10 años
    White cabinets-classic and simple! Change hardware. Roman blind over window. If you can afford the extra cabinets...go to the ceiling...looks bespoke and gives you a place to put that stuff! If not... Baskets baskets baskets! With stainless and white...you could go contrast with the counters...dk brown or black- not too stark because of the floor colour. I am doing mine this next month... Will post details! Good luck and HAVE FUN!
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Sharon Schofield, I love the second example with the additional cabinets on top. Where did you find that?
  • PRO
    Anne Burkett Designs
    hace 10 años
    A roman shade would look great on your kitchen window. I would mount the shade above the window to make the window look larger.
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I agree that a roman shade would make a big difference, and I could extend it up to make the window look larger. I have some upholstery fabric, maybe I will mock up a shade and see how it looks. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!
  • Sharon Schofield
    hace 10 años
    anne_k Googled it... Will find it and let you know! Email me, and i will give you loads of my pics and ideas... saschofield@live.ca. I am renovating my whole house on a budget too... We are renting it out for 3 years, and i need it to look good!!!
  • Sharon Schofield
    hace 10 años
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg051310233133.html I am doing my kitchen with lime and turquoise accents... Seems so fresh and new!
  • jhx1
    hace 10 años
    If you decide to try to go for another row of cabinets above the ones you have, You might try seeing if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore near you, to look for used/paintable cabinets. If there s not one near you, you might check with your city or county municiple waste department. Many places now have or can refer people to similar type organizations that resell construction materials from remodeling to keep them from ending up in landfills. You might find perfectly good cabinets at a fraction of the cost.
  • erjablinnikka
    hace 10 años
    Tiling the splash back all the way through with about a 10cm square tile that is in a fawn color. I would suggest a frame around the window and /or just a sill with a curtain rod(can be bought at Ikea) above the small window with a short 12cm curtain would help. If cost is a problem, keeping budget low in mind just a latte paint on the wall, right through. I used to have my microwave above my fridge when my kids were small and it worked well, although I'm only 5ft 2. A small polypropylene mat or a rag mat on the floor is also pretty. The baskets above the cupboards is a good idea. Some items like the large pot can be stored in the oven. Wine glasses can be stored on a rack where they hang upside down. The roll can be mounted on the back wall. Wish you luck. I know it's difficult on a budget, but some day...Ps; I keep my mix master in a cabinet out of the kitchen. Or then a corner bench cupboard is a good idea which matches your kitchen.
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    jhx1 we do have a re-store here, and I have thought about looking for 12" cabinets, because I have just about 13 inches between the top of my current cabinets and the ceiling. I am wondering, though, wouldn't I need to replace all my doors? It seems like it would look strange if there was any significant difference in stile, rail, or overlay measurements between the old cabinets and the new ones.
  • Annie
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you all for you suggestions and advice. I will post a picture when I make some progress.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.