Houzz Logo Print
edubya

How do you feel about "Word Art?"

Emily H
hace 10 años
Instead of more traditional art, I see a lot of paintings and prints with words or phrases on them. Personally, I love them - might be my inner writer twisting my arm - but I'm curious how other people feel about them.

What do you think? (Photos encouraged if you have some!)

FRSH Studios 3 · Más información

Comentarios (152)

• robin701
    hace 7 años

Margo, you should add this to your "What I learned from Houzz" post :)

• Christy Bell
    hace 7 años

Trendy.

• Conversaciones relacionadas

Foyer needing help!

Q

(3) comentarios
    Hi Cristina, your table looks very beautiful however I discourage to have such furniture at home because of the mirrors. I work as a feng shui consultant and I know that the mirrors have some kind of power and one should be very carful placing them in the house. My personal opinion is to have a mirror in the place where the mirror can´t see you while you are resting or sleeping because in long term it can have negative influence on you. The mirror was created to look at it and it shouldn´t be used extensively also because of the reflections of the light. The human eye naturally is used to see the light coming from certain directions, if it comes from the direction which is not used to the light, especially artificial one, it may effect your vision or have negative influence on your mood. I'm talking about something very subtle which sometimes may be felt after some time. Another thing is that I always encourage people to don´t use repetitive patterns in the house just simple irregular forms and calm and worm colours which make the space more cozy and more natural. If you need more help with the rest of your house please let me know. I could make a 3d visualisation of your place to shaw the layout. Best \Marcin
    ...Ver más

Help with wall art!

Q

(12) comentarios
    Hola MONICA: Gracias por explicarte. Si no te obstinas por poner fotos tuyas variadas y pequeñás, puedes encargar un vinilo autadhesivo, con una imagen de la más alta definición, que haga tu instrumento, o comprar alguna en un banco de imágenes. Procuras que la parte alta izquierda sea lo más neutra posible y pegas la imagen sobre el paramento completo, incluso sobre el frente del split. El resto, puedes hasta pintarlo a spray del color que requiera, para camuflarse mejor.
    ...Ver más

How To Invest In Your Bathroom Remodeling?

Q

(1) comentarios
    The two examples of bathrooms presented to us, especially the first, have a superlative personality. The flooring of marbles in the back of the sink and the tiled shower are masterful and achieve a very unusual effect, for tremendously original.
    ...Ver más

Renovate your space and change your life - Künstler+

Q

(1) comentarios
    Reformar una vivienda no es solamente contratar un paleta o una empresa, sino pensar a los espacios, personalizar estancias, mejorar la distribución, aprovechar cada esquina, en fin, crear algo a medida del cliente, como si fuera un vestido. Por esto la parte previa a la obra, a donde se define cada detalle del proyecto, es fundamental. Contactar con un arquitecto, no solo de garantiza que legalmente hayan todos los permisos y que cada profesional tenga un seguro en vigor, sino que te ahorra futuros dolores de cabeza y te evita problemas de mala ejecución. www,antoniocilea.com
    ...Ver más
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

NOT A FAN.

• User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

robin- if I started adding what I have learned from Houzz, I would be not stop posting;)

Your dog is adorable!!

• Alisa
    hace 7 años

would never put it in my house. prefer actual art.. never would hang family photos either.

• heather y
    hace 7 años

Ughh. It's not art. It's cheesy, dumb, un-original and all around just stupid. It drives me bonkers to see it anyone's home or even worse - designers using word art for their clients. The fact that a lot of people actually buy it seems even more ridiculous to me. I mean, I could think of any saying or word and do it myself. Why would one ever pay a so called "artist" to do this?

• typeandrun
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

typeandrun's ideas · Más información

I have the stick on phrase: "Enjoy Life It's Delicious" in my kitchen and framed pics of my H and I sharing our wedding cake, and pics of each of our kids as babies eating their 1st b day cake, underneath it. I get a lot of unsolicited compliments so I assume it is not tacky. More importantly, I love it!

• greenfish1234
    hace 7 años
    My darling niece keeps giving me these for Christmas, much to my dismay. A "cabin" sign for those who weren't quite sure where they were (works well enough in the kids' room there) and a dreaded "powder room" for my carefully designed room by that name. But the ones I absolutely hate the most are the ones that usually adorn a little shrine to wine. I love to tip one back like the next gal, but I certainly don't need to announce it to the world as if they didn't already know!! "A day without wine is like..." fill in the blank. Ugh. This is MY kind of "word art," for "powder rooms" only (ps hubs is a cop).
  • pdk920
    hace 7 años

Not a fan of word art except antique signs or really unique pieces-- I have an embroidered sampler over the bed that my late husband's gr-mother made-- but typeandrun, I think your family gallery in the kitchen sounds charming and very suitable. I don't understand the dislike of family photos myself; they reflect our lives, they matter to us. Why not display and enjoy a few?

• judrand05
    hace 6 años

I love letters and words and numbers in art, sometimes combined with objects. But if it makes a statement, what it says is important because it says something about you too. Maybe a quote that holds great meaning for you would work well. My brother loves literature so he has the first sentence from James Joyce's "Ulysses" printed and hung on his wall. Maybe the first line of your favorite poem or just a fun grouping of brightly colored shapes and letters and numbers would make you feel good each time you look at it. Or select one black letter you think looks great and center it on a plain white background. Nothing more. Stunning and a conversation starter.

• MCG G910
    hace 6 años

I've read most of the replies but am still shaking my head at the idea that a home has "public areas" where family photos aren't to be displayed. Are we talking breast feeding photos or birth photos (because that makes sense)? Or does this mean any/all family photos? Such a head scratcher. LOL

I don't love word art unless it's funny. For instance, this is going in our bathroom and if it doesn't make you laugh, you don't need to come for a second visit! :P (Edit to add, the Catholic kid in me changed this to "OMG, Becky!")

• judrand05
    hace 6 años

Mary Greve: Whaaat? "You don't need to come for a second visit?" Well, it sounds like: "the Catholic kid" in you was off duty when you expressed that nasty remark.

• Irene Morresey
    hace 6 años
    I don't mind it, some are better than others.
  • sharayak
    hace 6 años

Most of these examples are not art. They are just inputted letters, with no concern to any design principles. On the other hand, typographic art and design is one of my favourites to hang around the house.

Here is a screen print my friend made:

And stuff by Jon Cantino is on my walls for example:

• MCG G910
    hace 6 años

Judrand, apologies. I meant that to be funny, not rude. I do try to surround myself with people who have a great sense of humor though and everyone I know would laugh like a loon at that sign. No offense intended but I'll say a Hail Mary as a penance. :)

• MCG G910
    hace 6 años

I'll try to remember to save any and all humor for Twitter (once I actually learn how to use it! Maybe my kids will finally teach me!). Thanks for the suggestion and have a great weekend yourself. :)

• AJ G
    hace 6 años

Not a fan AT ALL! The more I see of it everywhere the more I dislike it.

• User
    hace 6 años

Well, someone keeps reviving this old thread. It is like deja vu all over again.

MCG G910- You should have been around a few years ago when things were really humorous. Well, jurand would not have thought so, but, we managed to go around the naysayers;)

Funny how things tend to repeat....

• User
    hace 6 años

Oh, and I have another change to my kitchen area, lol

• MCG G910
    hace 6 años

Margo, I love that pattern and appreciate anyone who can laugh. (Apparently all the effort I went through to end my post with a :P didn't convey my levity. Next time I will choose my characters with greater importance!)

• AJ G
    hace 6 años

I noticed after I responded how old the thread was. Maybe the thread will not go away because of this horrible trend that will not go away.

• User
    hace 6 años

• V
    hace 6 años
    I think it can be overdone, however, sometimes it’s good to have reminders of the important things in life. I have a verse in my guest bathroom as a reminder that we are all beautiful the way we were created.

I also have a picture of my son holding his nose above the toilet. Yes, it’s silly, but love the laughter it generates.

Life is short. If the people you invite into your home are judging you by what you hang on your walls, then they aren’t really friends.
  • karemore55
    hace 6 años
    How well I remember the humour that abounded a few years ago on Houzz.....at the time I felt like there was no place I'd rather be than cracking jokes with my Houzz buddies. Did we get kicked out or did we just blow away like tumbleweed, Margo?
  • karemore55
    hace 6 años
    MCG G910, you would have had a blast joking around with us!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 6 años

Hi Margo! Waving! Hi Karemore! Waving. Miss you! Ah... yes.... the good old days on Houzz!

• User
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

HI LB *waving*, long time no see. Hope you are well!!

Karemore- so true. Houzz was the best. So many fun times!

I love it when these old threads come up in my notifications;)) They make me smile and it transports me back in time;)

• Moxiemom
    hace 6 años
    What fun to see your names again!!!! We did have fun, didn’t we? It took a certain stinker from Oz to ruin it for everyone!!! OMG, I️ used to spend HOURS laughing with y’all!!!
  • Moxiemom
    hace 6 años
    What was that’s guy’s name who used to post the hilarious situations like- how to decorate around a smashed alien rocket in his front yard!!! He was a hoot!!!!
  • karemore55
    hace 6 años
    Hi LB, Moxiemom and Margo - I guess you could call this a reunion of sorts? Moxiemom, I know who you mean but can't remember the name...I bet Margo will remember.
  • User
    hace 6 años

WhOOO HOOOO, HI moxiemom, good to see you here;))

You speak of Ureka, He/she had all the silly red neck, alien posts.

Where have all the crazies gone lol, seems like we left and then they went *poof*...all the fake dilemmas like Spinning water.....good times!

• karemore55
    hace 6 años
    Where have all the crazies gone? Gone to flowers everyone. When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
  • Moxiemom
    hace 6 años
    I’m glad you said eureka because I was sure it was Uranus. I have been swamped, because we actually did the downsizing, and moved to South Carolina. Huuuuge change!! Houzz isn’t as user friendly for having fun as it used to be, is it!? I’m glad you’re all here— gotta get involved again. Those were good times!!
  • User
    hace 6 años

This is a good thread to chat on over here in dilemmas. Started by Emily Hurley. I guess if she gets mad that we are chatting she will stop in and yell at us, not like it will be the first time to get yelled at, lol.

Oh Moxiemom, thanks for the update, I was going to ask about selling the house and what all happened. Are you liking this Huuuuge change!!??

• doctornancy
    hace 6 años

Fun to hear from all the familiar names again! Regarding the post, I'm not a fan of word art, though I confess I have quite a few pieces.... in my closet! They make me smile every time I go in there, they have messages that are meaningful to me. My favorite is a canvas wrap done in silver and bright pink glitter that says, "Dance to your own beat". I'm a dancer and I love that one!

• User
    hace 6 años

Hey doctornancy! This is quite fun having *oldtime* Houzzers pop up. A feel good kinda thing;)

I bet you do a little dance now and then in that closet when you read those art words;))

• Moxiemom
    hace 6 años
    My word art the is fridge pasted with love notes from the grands. Misspelled, colorful but they make me happy!!!! Don’t anyone try to tell me it’s tacky to tape them up or I’ll kick you out of my house!! I don’t use word art in my house, but I really understand that people find inspiration, or happiness, or humor In what they choose. Would I DO find to be ultra offensive is people wearing T-shirts or bumper stickers or whatever that are perverted or just plain mean that I have to explain to my grandkids. Like metal testicles hanging from the back of a truck.
    Or pictures of a cartoon character peeing on our president. Or a depiction of somebody giving the middle finger hand salute to a passing driver. Arrrrrgh.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 6 años

Good to see you too Moxiemom!

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 6 años

I have 1 Word Art in my Guest Bathroom. The 'Love' plaque (it was originally 'gold') & was purchased for my daughter's wedding. I crackle painted it white. However, on short notice, it was not used in her wedding. The Wedding moved to Hawaii with only 9 of us. It was Great!

This is a special momento for us! Since my daughter is an ASL (American Sign Language) teacher, the child sitting on the Love plaque was a gift and very special also. This child item is 'signing I Love You'.

I think we need to decorate and display decor in our homes with the important things in our lives that say something about our personalities, and what means most to us, which makes us all unique.

Word Art in my opinion is neither 'right or wrong' with decorating correctness nor should it be considered if it is on trend.

• MCG G910
    hace 6 años

Love all of these replies! I confess, I bought two tiny word art pieces this weekend for my kitchen. Once says "This is my happy place," which it is! And the second is the overdone (by said to me every night by my youngest), "Love you more!"

• Lois Huneycutt
    hace 6 años

I have a three word motivating phrase in my home office/craft room. I also have family photos in the hall in my entryway.

• everdebz
    hace 6 años

Haven't read but last comment - adding that at thrift store bought a saying that actually helps me when I notice it: Today is going to be a Great Day!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

Most of them are "life lessons for the forgetful," IMO. Might be as helpful to label your toilet paper and toothbrush so you remember to use them (not necessarily simultaneously though.) Great to see all you "old Houzzers" back on here! Maybe Emily should put up a humor category so the fun and games can continue!

• User
    hace 6 años

Hi Decoenthusiaste, good to see you again as well. I for one would gobble up a humor category;))

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 6 años

I get the turkey joke, Margo! Hope you ate well today.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 6 años

Hi Decoenthusiaste! Nice to see you! Happy Day after Thanksgiving to all!

• PRO
    FIFTH Element
    hace 3 años

Picture says a thousand words. Oh wait!

• Usuario de Houzz-197738023
    hace 2 años

I love word art it’s speaks beautiful things that I can enjoy and looks wonderful with decor please people don’t throw this trend away because someone hates it I think they need to learn to enjoy this !!

• kculbers
    hace 2 años

When the Covid pandemic started, of course we couldn’t go out to a restaurant. I purchased a hand painted sign: “ The Gathering Place” and hung it in our living room. We nicknamed our living room: The Gathering Place, and joked about it being our restaurant, as we eat many meals there.

• Rachel
    hace 2 años

Not a fan at all from the day it started.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.