Houzz Logo Print
edubya

IKEA Discontinuing Expedit Bookshelves - Oh no!

Emily H
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 10 años
Just heard that IKEA is discontinuing these shelves. Is panic ensuing or are you ready to wave it a fond farewell? I'm going to be FINALLY getting some for my daughter's room before the exit, I think. Do you have any in your home currently?

Tell us about it! (photos encouraged)

Expedit Shelving Unit, Birch Effect · Más información

Comentarios (56)

• sj03
    hace 10 años
    I have three. Two in my sons room and one in my daughters room. This is really not cool cause I wanted this option when we moved to our new house. All I have to say........they better replace it with something better.
    Emily H agradeció a sj03
  • esterling
    hace 10 años
    Phew! What a relief! Thanks for the heads up Marlana. I hope they have a 1X4 or a 1X5 to use as a bench!
    Emily H agradeció a esterling
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    I definitely didn't think that they were getting rid of them for good. I once bought a pair of subtly printed heavy white drapery panels a few years back and needed more last month, the name was changed and the price increased. I'm sure we'll see a few reincarnations of that shelf before it goes away for good!
    Emily H agradeció a Studio M Interior Design
  • PRO
    deiman
    hace 10 años
    Oh my i have to stock pile cOz i love mi some expedit.
    Emily H agradeció a deiman
  • sj03
    hace 10 años
    I was ready to fight!........no, no I wasn't sorry I lied so fast.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 10 años
    So long as "Billy" sticks around...I'm fine!
  • PRO
    Kiss Painting
    hace 10 años
    Thank you for letting us know. I love the idea of boxes, it can be used in so many ways! Maybe they are coming up with something better?
  • evenil
    hace 10 años
    IKEA is fantastic!
  • sonocontenta
    hace 10 años
    Mariana - grazie mille for the link to Gizmo!! And the reminder to us all of how small changes can have large impact. That was very interesting information about IKEA materials consumption..and in fact, I personally LIKE the effect of the change in Expedit...the thick frame always seemed so 80's to me but then, I am a 'Bauhausian' (if that is even a word!).
  • reka15
    hace 10 años
    we have expedit in expedit:-))) and 4 more in living room:-) but i like the new kallas too
  • reka15
    hace 10 años
    sorry:-) no kallas but kallax:-)))
  • Sarah Moore_Riddell
    hace 10 años
    I read about this and I heard that they are just discontinuing this style and coming out with a version with rounded edges
  • dejongdreamhouse
    hace 10 años
    We just drove to Ikea yesterday (about 2 hours away) top pick up a few more Expedits. I'm glad they will still be available as Kallax, but I want my units to match when they are right next to each other. I'm sure we will be adding some Kallax in the future. My all time favorite use for the Expedit is my craft table. http://www.dejongdreamhouse.com/2013/08/diy-craft-table.html
  • eiboiman
    hace 10 años
    I am going to get some for my sons room
  • Melissa Wade
    hace 10 años
    I use them at home and in my classroom :(
  • gigi
    hace 10 años
    So happy to know at least there will be a similar one available - I have 2 eight cubbies and 1 with twenty five cubbies in craft room - now if they would only bring back the Varde kitchen island!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 10 años
    I am sadder they are getting out of the wonderful wood counters I have had mine for years and love it.
  • Cami Lemke Peloza
    hace 10 años
    I love this product. I've considered it several times and finally bought the shiny white ones when I saw they were going to be discontinued.
  • Fefe Applebe
    hace 10 años
    We use these in multiple areas of our new home. Great functional storage!
  • dontgotone
    hace 10 años
    I have a single unit which I've laid horizontal in our mud room. Added 3 cushions on top (side) to sit on while taking off shoes and boots and then store them in the cubbies. Was thinking about getting another one so better get to it.
  • Edwinice Meyer
    hace 10 años
    I have been looking for something like this for my sewing room, it gives a lot of great ideas and also a great shelf for a day care system. I think you should keep on selling them. I give a thumbs up, 1000%. amen.
  • sunvale
    hace 10 años
    I lined one wall in my walk in closet with them.
    They house all the tops and sweaters I need as well as socks, undies and other items in the cube containers that fit in so nicely.
  • AmyCat
    hace 10 años
    If one's got young children, I expect these are a better idea, but if you're shelving "grown-up" books and not picture-books and toys, they're too tall and too deep: lots of wasted space.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    hace 10 años
    Bronco56...."Marianas link above says this, so those vinyl collectors are upset over nothing.

"Now, let's look at Kallax. Ikea reports that the internal dimensions of the system are exactly the same as Expedit—so Kallax will still fit your vinyl collection just fine. So what's changing? The thickness of the wide outer edge that makes Expedit so distinctive. It seems like a minuscule change to us, but it's not. Sales numbers for Expedit aren't public, but we know that Ikea sells some 41 million similar Billy bookcases a year."
  • Kim T.
    hace 10 años
    the shelving is still totally on the website for IKEA
  • jrt3
    hace 10 años
    I heard they were only being discontinued in Germany, but it's possible the discontinuation could spread....and they just released the cool gloss versions, at least here in the states. So I dunno, it's such a popular and well liked product. I removed a few shelves in mine, but recently sold it for some bookcases.
  • onthecoast1
    hace 10 años
    These would be so super easy to build from scratch. I don't like the cubbie look so have bookshelves or closed-door cabinetry. I have 2 HUGE armoires, one in the bedroom and one in the office/craft room, that I installed shelving inside -- they make a perfect place to store clothing and craft or office supplies because it can all be hidden in drawers or behind doors......looks more clean and less cluttered than open shelving.
  • Vicki Coffman_Bye
    hace 10 años
    I just purchased my bookshelf, I love it, so easy to put together. I love the fact it can look like a consol table and not just a bookshelf.
  • katie32123
    hace 10 años
    We had them back when they were a new item. I have to say the we're absolutely the WORST to put together. After two moves we were glad to see them gone from our life.
  • katie32123
    hace 10 años
    "they were" Autocorrect moment. Sigh. :-)
  • houseatthelake
    hace 10 años
    Nephew worked at plant where components were made. Told us not to buy
  • lind1107
    hace 10 años
    I just bought this for my office and love it! I hope they keep them around I was thinking of getting one for my daughters room as well.
  • marsia
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I just finished designing a built in loft bed with Expedit shelving and the doors that go with it for underneath storage and for the back of a headboard. I have some of the shelves for it already, so I better go get the rest fast so that the whole unit matches - thanks so much!

I looked on the Ikea USA site and an article there says that they are being replaced here as well.
  • tonimarte
    hace 10 años
    am very disappointed, I have two of these unit in my home in new York and now that am spending time in my other home in Florida I was planning on buying at least three more units . I hope I can get them in time. Does anyone know when they are going to be discontinue.Thanks for the heads up.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    So sad I love expedit! I have 7 in my house!!! One in my office, one in my kitchen eat in area, one in my basement for the tv, 2 in my reading loft, and 2 in my son's bedroom! I can't get enough of these shelves!
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Love my daughter's expedit desk. Also wish IKEA still made that groovy lounge chair (I re-upholstered it in purple.)
  • Colleen Hazzard
    hace 10 años
    Katherine Stuart, I love your Daughters Bedroom! Vibrant but not over done.
  • vanessapete
    hace 10 años
    home office with ikea, Have arranged the books n bits since this photo...
  • PRO
    Freespace Design LLC
    hace 10 años
    The Expedit is being replaced with another, almost identical system called the Kallax, it's frame is slightly thinner and will save materials and be slightly more eco-friendly as well as cost savings for Ikea. It's supposed to be better finish quality.......so let's all untwist our knickers. :)
  • Tracy Smith
    hace 10 años
    My before and after
  • PRO
    TKraft Art & Interiors
    hace 10 años
    Oh no, say it isn't so... I guess we'll just have to build our own.
  • bubbasgma
    hace 10 años
    "It's not so."
  • ogram1
    hace 10 años
    Our last one...in our Stockholm apartment.
  • PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    hace 10 años
    As a room divider.
  • hantieliz
    hace 10 años
    I have them in my craft room and office. LOVE them!! Very versatile, as I was able to put this together a little at a time! :) MANY compliments on them too!
  • hantieliz
    hace 10 años
    The first pic is showing the beginning of my craft room .. the 2nd, is more complete. I'm going to add more doors, and change out the grid slider boxes .. they're way too flimsy, and break very easily. :( The rest of it is awesome! Still a work in progress :)
  • PRO
    JB House Photography
    hace 10 años
    I don't have one personally but I helped move one twice this past weekend (along with the books, and other books). They're not exactly light when in one piece. But they look good and cats love exploring them when empty.
  • mabel5833
    hace 10 años
    We have 6 of various sizes in our home. Love them!!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.