Houzz Logo Print
deb_trammell

Countertop are my concerns justified

Deb Trammell
hace 10 años
I have finally found a granite top that I'm really loving --blue flower. It's a delicatus and has a few small imperfections. Should I be concerned that this is a quality issue or is this indicative of the delicatus tops? How do these tops stand up over time? Your opinions are greatly appreciated. I've attached photos of my tile floor and cabinets.

Comentarios (28)

• Marilyn Wilkie
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I love the floor but not the granite. I should explain that your floor has a lot of pattern and your cabinets are beautiful wood and the granite just seems to have too much pattern and swirl itself. But if you like the look then you should please yourself.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 10 años
    I believe it may have more quartz and mica which can possibly chip out later. I have heard this can be filled in and is not big concern but I am just going with what I have read on the Internet. Talk with the experts at the granite yard. It is key to pick your slab as these can vary quite a bit. I think that slab is beautiful. I am concerned that both your granite and floor are busy.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I like this granite from far away and as a large piece. I think that when you cut it up and put it on the small counter area, it will not look the same at all. Maybe not too busy by itself, but will be too much and not be harmonious with the floor. If you could block out all but a 2' strip on the bottom of the granite with some cardboard, or a bed sheet close to your wall color, and place about ten of your left over tiles on the floor in front of it, that will give you a more realistic view.
  • Deb Trammell
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Fred, I only have a few tiles left over which are predominately blue and the pattern is now discontinued. What suggestions do you have for granite? I waned something with a pattern but this has become a labor intensive search.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    hace 10 años
    That combination would be very pretty with white cabinets.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    The "search" is why most of my projects end up with the owners not using granite. A few tiles are better than nothing. I think the colors look fine on my phone. It is the large "pattern" that exists in this, and most granite, that can sort of clash with the floor. That is why I say look at a smaller section of it with the tile before committing. The pattern may look bigger in that perspective. Mostly, look to notice the pattern and texture differences between the tile and granite, both size and gloss. If you still love it, see what the fabrication says about working around and fixing the imperfections. In a sense, the "fill" should end up being the same quality as an engineered quartz.
    I see the paint everything white pushers are here :)
  • Deb Trammell
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I am not changing my wood cabinets but will be resurfacing them. We live on a farm and white cabinets, while pretty, just aren't practical for us. It's been suggested by others here that a slate grey or something to bring out the burgundy would work. Slate grey does nothing for me. I did find a sienna bordeaux that was close to perfect but they only had one slab. I'm close to just keeping what I have.
  • Ann
    hace 10 años
    The colors are good, but boy, it's going to be busy in that kitchen. Are you comfortable with that?
  • smarterthandog
    hace 10 años
    I have a similar situation and will wind up using a light Caesarstone "Buttermilk" quartz countertop instead of granite. I'm afraid to introduce another strong pattern.
  • Ann
    hace 10 años
    Smarterhandog - sounds like a very good plan! Oh, now I remember your dilemma.
  • mermaide
    hace 10 años
    What color you paint the walls?
    If you find a color common to both floor and granite, perhaps a rich blue...then I see success. Otherwise the room will be busy and unfocused,
  • Deb Trammell
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I've just stripped wallpaper off but was trying to finalize the granite so that I could get the wall and backsplash going. I know I'm safe with a subtle bone granite. However, I've had that color for 25 years and felt I needed a change. I am almost to the point that the floor needs to go.
  • PRO
    Palazzi Bros
    hace 10 años
    have a look at kashmir white granite
  • anniau
    hace 10 años
    Would you consider a greyish white caesarstone or similar to give a fresh look?
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 10 años
    If you do go for a more neutral flooring that would open up a world of possibilities with your granite choice.
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 10 años
    I guess I'm the odd man out, but I think they will look fine together. While they both have a lot going on, it doesn't strike me as an 'in your face' kind of thing so I think they'll work. If the colors in the countertop were darker or more pronounced, that would be another thing......
  • sierrabb
    hace 10 años
    I love the granite too, but I think you should really look at a more solid colored counter top to avoid end up with too much patten. I'm a big fan of granite, but if think in this case a quartz with a little fleck to it would bring a much better aesthetic to your kitchen. There are many beautiful colors to choose from.
  • mycats2
    hace 10 años
    I like the granite,but once again the 2 combos togeather are too busy.I would change the flooring to something more neutral.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    hace 10 años
    Well, your floor has warm and cool tones. This is a cool tone and I think it would work!
  • hbhider
    hace 10 años
    I have blue flower in the kitchen of my new house. I love it! I did go simple on the floors (lighter hardwood) with maple cabinets.
  • Deb Trammell
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I have ruled the blue flower out. It is a delicatus stone and has areas of pits. I would worry about problems down the line. I do love the blue flower pattern though.
  • lizgriffinjordan
    hace 10 años
    Remember that granite has to be resealed over time. It also takes a lil effort to clean and make it shine. I wish I had installed quartz in my house instead.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 10 años
    Your new choice goes very well with your floor. What is the name of that granite?
  • mycats2
    hace 10 años
    Good choice!
  • Ann
    hace 10 años
    Yes, I think the new choice is nice too - much calmer.
  • Deb Trammell
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The granite name is glacier white.
  • Beth Jackson
    hace 10 años
    Granite is a good material -- but personally I like recycled glass also -- http://www.web-don.com/our-products/quartz/geos-recycled-glass/
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.