Houzz Logo Print
anaid

Vintage stylish '30's home ... serious need ideas for layout....

resident
hace 10 años
the look/period: mid 30's French Art Deco..it was the house's architect original interior intent. Finding and most casegoods are original, has turned out easier than placement. The pieces that stay are: carpeting, grey sofa n' chairs, white 'leaf chairs', game table n' chairs, console, side tables and the speaker towers (some foofy hubby-toy cost that a small apartment). Anything else can go. I moved the small coffee table closer to the daybed, thinking a larger round coffee table would help(?), can't accessories to save my life ... ugh. I've conceded to my limitations of decorating know-how and look forward to the Houzz world for suggestions. :)

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Warner Decor
    hace 10 años
    Hi! Looks like you have a lovely area! I would suggest a different, larger piece of wall art to go over the couch. Here are a few suggestions that I think would go with your current style.

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/2/imax-vine-wall-decor-panel-set-9/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/filigree-pattern-wall-panels-set-3/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/antiqued-copper-mirror/
    resident agradeció a Warner Decor
  • acroteria
    hace 10 años
    anaid, beautiful room (architecturally...window locations, etc.). Our local building codes prevented me from putting our window sills so low....love yours. Very interesting chairs. May I ask mfgr./style name? Sorry I'm not offering suggestions on your dilemma...nothing coming to me.
    resident agradeció a acroteria
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    I think adding Art Deco accessories, instead of standard decor, would be my direction with your space. You have the option of going with curves or rectangles, but stay consistent.
    Ronna Modern Classic Cloud Shape Inlaid Gold Frame Mirror · Más información

Crispin Table Lamp · Más información

Canino Mercury Glass Table Lamp · Más información

Deco 86 Floor Mirror · Más información
    resident agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
    hace 10 años
    I love what you have done thus far! Yes, I do think you could use some help accessorizing but your furniture is really gorgeous. Those chairs are fabulous! I would like to suggest heavier more substantial drapery panels perhaps with a fantastic Greek key ribbon trim edge. I attached a photo as an example (colors are endless). This will change the entire sophistication level to the room. Then edit your accessories to just what you love the most.. Do away with artificial florals and items that do not sing for the room. You could use something trimmed in gold in this space... perhaps fine painted gold details to furniture trim or such. Also, go with larger wall art pieces and focus on scale as well as image. I can't see the speaker towers in your photos that you mentioned but there are plenty of resources to hide or build around them to make them less noticeable in a well designed space. When all else fails, hire a local professional just to help you zshush for a day. You are certainly on the right track! Enjoy ~
    resident agradeció a Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
  • pcmom1
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I think the art piece over the fireplace is a tad too large there. Try it behind the sofa. I think the size will work well there.
    Elegant Edgemont by B Fein Interiors · Más información
    resident agradeció a pcmom1
  • pcmom1
    hace 10 años
    Also agree that shelves should be moved out of that corner and replaced with a plant (real one!).

Quick fix: move the vase down from the top of the shelves and place on the table between those two chairs.
  • pcmom1
    hace 10 años
    A sunburst mirror would go well over the fireplace.
    Project - Art Deco Living Room · Más información
  • maureenroth
    hace 10 años
    Your place is beautiful. Can you take a far shot of the whole room from a couple of corners? I'm a bit confused about the orientation of the sofa to the fireplace. The leaf chairs (very beautiful) look like they need to be side by side with the small curved arm on each on the outside, as if to form a single settee, if I'm explaining myself at all clearly. I agree the etagere needs to come out of the corner and should not have a flower arrangement so high up. I agree about the drapes also; they need to be lined, interlined not puddling on the floor and a Greek Key trim would be lovely. The art over the sofa is too small, not framed, and sets the wrong tone for this room. Is the sofa purplish? Can't quite tell. As for the speakers, well, all I can say (although I can't see them, so how bad could they be?) is my husband's are way worse and ginormous. They ruin my whole living room, I have to decorate around them (because I can't interfere with the imaging etc.) and they also cost a bomb. Hideous. So my sympathies, but it is what it is.
    resident agradeció a maureenroth
  • resident
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you for all your suggestions and comments. I'm finding it difficult to capture a better overall pic of the room. It's long n' narrow; Where the etagere is are right(south) and left(east) windows. Sofa is opposite the fireplace for now. The speakers aren't thaaat awful, just that it restricts decorating options. (I posted again to add more pics. they're on either side of the daybed), That wall of curtains behind each speaker is to hide the multitude of wiring that in hindsight, I should have had them popped into the floor). The sofa and chairs are a deep grey velvet by Barbara Barry.
  • maureenroth
    hace 10 años
    Anaid, repost the photos here and delete the other discussion so we don't all get confused. p.s. I'll gladly trade speakers with you...
  • resident
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    duh... I didn't notice that I could add pics this way! thx
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    hace 10 años
    I love your room! You have done a beautiful job with it. I would lose the speaker towers and invest in a pair of tiny Bose speakers (with a separate woofer) that might just sound better. We love ours.I don't know that I would change anything else. So nice to see a traditional (french style) room here.
    I do love decoenthusiaste's items also.
    resident agradeció a Marilyn Wilkie
  • resident
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    duh... I didn't notice that I could add pics this way! thx
  • maureenroth
    hace 10 años
    Ha! Each speaker even has its own tube amp! As if she could lose the speakers. It would mean instant divorce! They probably sound stupendous. You just can't get even close with small speakers, no matter how good the brand.
    Can you try pulling the couch toward the FP a bit, putting one chair on either side and moving the two leaf chairs in the corner, angled and flipped, where the etagere is? Unless you always need room for 6-8 people, which you may.
  • PRO
    Ann Hernandez-Gabler, Keller Williams
    hace 10 años
    Have you considered placing the grey sofa and grey matching chairs opposite one another in as in the photo that pcmom posted above? If you do that, you could place the leaf chairs on either side of the fireplace with a gorgeous pillow in a print or design that incorporates the grey of the sofa and the white of the leaf chairs. The comments above regarding the drapery are spot on. Additionally, the artwork/mirror above the fireplace needs to be larger vertically. You might consider something with a black frame if you are going after an art deco look. I would relocate the bar cart completely. Perhaps, you could find a sofa table to handle these items and place it under the art work (which also needs to be larger) on the wall opposite the fireplace.
    resident agradeció a Ann Hernandez-Gabler, Keller Williams
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Fabulous room. Of course, you know the art is wrong. You can still go modern.
    resident agradeció a groveraxle
  • User
    hace 10 años
    @ acroteria, does your local code also prohibit sliding glass patio doors or French doors? You may want to actually read the code before trying to quote it.
    resident agradeció a User
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Saw your additional thread - please comment on this one and add any more pix here, and not on a new thread.
    resident agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • resident
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you. Being a somewhat newbie, I've learned so much today navigating adding photos!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    hace 10 años
    anaid, you have spent a small fortune in your furnishings and obviously with advice from a designer? What I don't understand is why you do not continue with this designer for the most important aspect of the design element....art and accessories. If you have selected all your furnishings on your own, then I have to say the mix is wonderful. The etagere is very much an error and does nothing for your room. Everything else in the room is extremely cohesive. Love every piece you have selected. You will not want to scrimp on art, accessories or window dressing. I would love to know more about the background of the room and where you have travelled thus far.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    hace 10 años
    Found this in your ideabook. Is this the look you want(ed)?
    High Point Finds 2013 · Más información
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.