Houzz Logo Print
britraebasham

Kitchen Remodel: Need Granite and Back splash Help

britraebasham
hace 10 años
Our house was all but destroyed a few weeks ago back on January 7th when DC had a deep freeze of 6 degrees during the day. A water pipe burst in our attic and gushed water for 8 hours. Everything in the kitchen was destroyed, and anything 8" off the ground. This included our original oak hardwoods from the 50's. We live in a 1954 Classic Virginian Rambler (980sqft). The house is pretty much gutted and hasn't been livable since. I'm concentrating on the flooring and kitchen cabinetry at this point because I want to get back in our home as soon as we can. I have a big dog (110lbs) and twin 2yr old girls. They miss their home. I really need your advice, as well as any constructive criticism. No idea will go unnoticed. Trust me.

I want a warm, inviting, and romantic. My husband likes dark, modern and cold. So we are definitely going with a Transitional kitchen.

I am including pics of the original kitchen/dining area so you'll see. We bought it like this 9 years ago. I'll also include pics of the items we have chosen so far. I will include a layout that was given to us if you think it will help. Because Houzz will only let me attache four images, let me know if you want to see more.

Here is what I have picked out so far:

Cabinets: Merillat Classic / Style: Portrait / Color: Chiffon
Flooring: Columbia Flooring / Style: Ashlynn / Color: Sable (will be throughout the entire house)
- The attached pic shows it more red but it's actually a little more chocolate.
Sink: Style: Stainless Steel Undermount 24" base / 9" depth
Hardware: Style: Pulls / Color: Oil Rubbed Bronze
Appliances: Whirlpool Suite / Color: Stainless Steel (built-in microwave).

Really need help picking out a back splash and granite. This is where I fail miserably!!!

Thanks in advance!

Comentarios (50)

• dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    This is typhoon bordeaux, modwalls lush storm and BM Elmira White...very dramatic. Can also swap the dark tile for something more taupe.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks dclostboy! I like the granite. The glass tiles may be up my husbands alley but doesn't scream warm. I will keep this in my memory file though because my mother has already been screaming subway tiles at me. :)
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    I'm sorry to hear about your issues...I was in DC then and understand I'm fortunate to be on vacation this week. Another option is to go look at different slabs. I use Bratti (across from Target in Potomac Yards). Once you pick granite, it's easy (for some, I'll admit) to match to backsplash. Browse through modwalls.com for their many options...high quality at a fair price (I find).
    britraebasham agradeció a dclostboy
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    What a terrible story, but those burst pipes sound so familiar. I'm gonna throw out a suggestion here, only because I'm doing it now, but it's something a little different from the granite you see everywhere. There's a place in VA (near Charlottesville) called Alberene soapstone. You can go and see all the slabs there-- the only place in the U.S., I believe, that is still quarrying soapstone. It's so gorgeous- very blue/black; depending on how much (or if) you wax it, it go from blue/gray to charcoal gray to black, often with this warm white veining. It's really beautiful, and the people there are great. Anyway-- you're in the right geographic area to go take a look. Just a thought.

I love those glass subway tiles, too. Here's a photo I found on Houzz, using glass tiles with soapstone:
    Bay Village Renovation · Más información
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    Oh, thanks so much for posting that, dclostboy. That's so beautiful. We're putting ours in (going in Monday) against an existing limestone backsplash. The limestone is old (well, 20 years)-- but still looks great, so I wanted something that would work well with it. I'm so glad to see this, though-- it meshes so well with everything else, and with the marble. Our limestone is sort of warm white/beige with these very narrow charcoal grey veins-- so I'm hoping the soapstone works well with it, but your photo here gives me hope! I really love this. All the materials work really well together.

Yes-- they still quarry there and, in fact, opened up a new section that hadn't been quarried in decades, I think. Interesting history, and the soapstone is so beautiful-- very blue/black.
    http://www.alberenesoapstone.com/why-alberene-soapstone/history-of-alberene-soapstone-company
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Wow, these are beautiful photos. I'm going to attach the layout so you can see how small of a space we're dealing with. We have a huge bay window that starts right where the kitchen ends and open dining area begins. It lets in so much light I'm trying to stay away from whites or cool colors. I should have stated that in the beginning and I apologize. I came from something very cool and dated, so I'm definitely looking to warm it up. I like the granite and love the soapstone idea. What's the price difference between the two?
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    hace 10 años
    Here is a picture of our recently remodeled kitchen. We used Colonial Gold granite. More pictures and a description of everything (paint, flooring etc.) can be found if you search "New Kitchen from Hell to Heaven".

We had a pipe burst too (in the basement) but it only ruined some dry wall and the carpet, which of course we had just replaced in September.

Good luck in getting back into your house. Just remember that you'll love it even more when you get it all done.

The second picture is one of the Colonial Gold granite.
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    Honestly, about the same cost.
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    If you're ok with a busier granite...red Marinace is a lot of fun. I used a more burgundy slab in my old house on capital hill.
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    Granite varies so much in price, depending on what kind you get, but for us-- because we also have a relatively small kitchen-- dclostboy is correct-- the pricing would have been about the same, and I just liked the soapstone so much better. I did have a little bit of an issue (not huge, but noticeable) finding fabricators who had actually worked with soapstone before. I did find one who lives a couple of hours away, but no extra cost to come here, since I think he works all over the area. Anyway-- I've never been a big fan of granite (well, except for the stuff that cost $$$$ per sq foot. :) With a small kitchen, too, I didn't want that much movement in the countertop, and I wanted something with non-polished finish to better mesh with the honed limestone we have. The soapstone and the installation ended up being around $4500 for us. That does not include the removal of the existing countertop, though (which you won't have to worry about, I guess).
    britraebasham agradeció a dbh
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Sorry, here are the drawings. They are in the process of adding the dark floors and removing that door by the pantry. There is a doorway that leads to the twins playroom, but no physical door. Will be putting glass panel full length saloon doors, that mimic the doors on the other side of the living room.
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    Hey britraebasham- We have basically the same layout, except we have no door to the left of the stove, and so the countertop continues to the left and around to where the refrigerator is. This is one reason I didn't want anything as busy as granite. One thing-- our upper cabinets are glass-fronted, which really makes the room seem bigger than it is. We also have a big opening that used to be the original back window-- but the glass door you're talking about adding will be nice, too. I'd think about glass-fronted cabinets, though--for the uppers. Ours are clear glass, and because I'm such a super neat person, that's not a problem :) -- but you could get that narrow reeded glass if you wanted some obscurity.
  • notme11
    hace 10 años
    I also used typhoon Bordeaux and we wanted warm and inviting but a little pizzazz. We chose to use an Argentinian dolomite backsplash. It is a bit warmer than glass, but still has a modern feel. http://www.carmelimports.com/index.cfm/p-argentine_dolomite.htm
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    Britraebasham, Bratti did my soapstone and carted it out to eastern shore for install. Highly recommend.
  • notme11
    hace 10 años
    A lot of granite slabs with the same name have huge variations in color. I don't know about the East Coast, but where I live in Northern CA, finding granite is a contact sport. I knew I wanted Typhoon Bordeaux, but all of the pieces I found that I likes were sold or on hold. Any of the slabs that were being unloaded at the docks in LA should have been called something other than Typhoon Bordeaux. They were grey and tan and blue. I looked for over three weeks with no luck. There was one lot that came in that was beautiful and just what I wanted, but it had sold out in a day. Finally, one of the guys moving slabs called everyone who had placed pieces on hold out of that lot and found a person who wasn't ready to buy it. I got theirs. Literally, he placed it on hold so we could go out and find the actual pieces but keep it on hold while we moved slabs. Once I saw them I loved them and we went back to the office to pay for them. Someone was trying to buy those slabs. If we hadn't placed them on hold before we went out the doors, someone would have bought them out from under us. CRAZY!!!!

My point to this long story is, if you haven't picked your slabs, start now. It may be a totally different story where you live. But what a process it is here. Find your slabs, put them on hold and then send your fabricator to pay for them.
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 10 años
    Some dark walnut floors would look great!
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Okay, we picked a counter. It's Viatera Royal Teak. Again, off white shaker cabinets and stainless steel appliances. Which would you do? Left is engineered hickory, right engineered oak with a matte finish. It will be in the whole house.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Here's a better photo.
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    I like the hickory...but I'm not a strong grain kind of guy :)
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    I thought you'd already picked out flooring; nevertheless, I'd go with the hickory, which I assume is the lighter one with less grain than the oak (oak is darker one at bottom in second photo?). The hickory, if that's the lighter one-- is much nicer looking, I think. The other seems very dark.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I thought I had already decided in the floors but then they showed me the hickory soft scraped (lighter of the two). It's beautiful but I worry about scratches. They were more apparent on the hickory then the oak. The supplier said that's because of the shine.
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    Hickory is pretty hard, I thought. I just think the darker (oak) is awful looking-- just my opinion. It has a very manufactured (not 'real') look to it, while the hickory looks like a real hardwood, at least to my eye and viewing it only onscreen.
  • dawncarter1968
    hace 10 años
    I like the hickory better. What material is the countertop you chose? With the color pallet you have chosen Giallo Ornamental Granite is one if my favorites.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    It's funny you mention that because it's one of my favorites too. We're going with Viatera Quartz Royal Teak. The sample is the small square in the middle of the two wood samples. I think I'm leaning toward the Hickory but now my husband says he loves the oak. Both are from Columbia Flooring.
  • PRO
    Tidewater Pro Build
    hace 10 años
    I was going to say any Italian granite would be your best bet, but it looks like someone already said Giallo Ornamental. My advice for the tile backsplash is to take a cabinet sample, your paint swatch, and the granite sample and go to a lowes or home depot and see what looks good. Do not spend more than $10 a sq ft for backsplash. Also, make sure your pipes aren't quest or cpvc.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you. I want to say the pipes are some new type of PVC.
  • PRO
    Defined Design Edmond
    hace 10 años
    I like the grain of the hickory. Also, for the backsplash have you considered a stone, glass mix? I agree with Tidewater, take your cabinet sample, paint swatch, and granite sample and I recommend going to a tile store. Once you decide which ones you like, choosing two or three, bring the tile samples home and "live" with them for a few days.
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 10 años
    Here is a white oak floor with a dark charcoal oiled finish. I think its gorgeous!
    britraebasham agradeció a Oak & Broad
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks Oak & Broad. It's too light, but wow, it's beautiful.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Okay, I found another floor that I think is a cross between the Columbia Flooring Sable Oak and the Columbia Flooring Antique Hickory. What do you all think about this one... Columbia Flooring Stallion Hickory?
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 10 años
    They are all inside the same colour range/depth of colour. Please, please, please make sure these floors are allowed in a kitchen AND what has to be done (should be done) to site finish the kitchen flooring to make it water resistant - and if this is even an option with the flooring you have chosen.

Many finishes - like aluminum oxide - can never be refinished NOR refreshed. This means that once they are finished at the factory, you have no wiggle room once it is in your home. The very high end engineered floors have the ability to be site-stained (after install) and site-finished (after the stain/after install) which makes them a natural fit for kitchens.

Please ask these questions from the manufacturer...not the sales guy. The manufacturer will tell you "no" because don't want to deal with a complaint down the line. The sales person will tell you "yes" because he wants his commision cheque tomorrow.

Because I am a cork floor sales person, I do have to plug a very beautiful product of ours - feel free to disregard ;-)
    britraebasham agradeció a Cancork Floor Inc.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you for your comment. I will get a hold of the manufacturer and ask them. I have seen it in a kitchen before, but will make sure. Our kitchen is completely gutted right now and we do have a concrete slab. I will ask all the questions you asked. Thank you again.
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    Love the cork flooring. Put this same one in my studio. It's very nice. However, I would not put it in a kitchen; of course, I wouldn't use wood, either.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The only reason we aren't going back to a tile is because we have no insulation in the exterior walls of the house and it gets really cold in the kitchen. The kitchen/eating area are freezing all the time since they sit on the exterior wall. We also have an open concept and didn't want to break up the flow from one room to the other.
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    Well since the room is gutted, can you put in heating under the floor? I'd probably ask a contractor about insulating your walls. I think there's a way to do that after the fact. I think ?
    Also, I thought your kitchen was closed off (interior, not opened to other rooms?)
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    No it's not. It's an classic Virginian rambler so everything is open. I think I attached a picture at the very top of how the kitchen/dining area are layout. Here are a few others of the way the old kitchen was before the flood.
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    I see; yes, thanks. I didn't see the actual photos before. I love the house. I can see why you might want it more seamless. Have you thought about bamboo flooring? I think that's pretty tough stuff and great looking.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes, we did consider bamboo. It actually was the first type I fell in love with, but everyone kept saying if it got scratched or got a knick that we would never be able be able to hide it. I don't know woods so I have no clue, but they said with twin 2yr olds and a 120lb dog that it would not be the way to go.
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    Well I thought it was one if the tougher ones. Honestly, though, because of the dog and small children-- but mostly the dog-- I would not go dark. I do think, regardless of the wood, a dark stain will show nicks and scratches more readily (my experience).
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    You've probably seen this on Houzz, but if not-- these are images/information on kitchens where the owners used bamboo flooring-- quite a varied look you can get.
    http://www.houzz.com/bamboo-flooring-in-kitchen
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Okay, we finally decided on a floor (Columbia Flooring - Engineered Stallion Hickory) and the countertops (Viatera - Royal Teak). We thought we had the cabinets nailed until we got the samples in. The color that I saw on their site was perfect and exactly what I wanted, but in person it's just no the same. Here are the two samples with the quartz that will be on the countertops. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance. Here is also a rendering of how the kitchen will look.

Cabinets: CliqStudios - Clayton
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Sorry, forgot the drawings. This is just for placement purposes only.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Columbia Flooring - Stallion Hickory
  • dbh
    hace 10 años
    Looking at everything on screen (which is always tricky), I think that the warmer cabinet color-- more ivory than white-- at bottom, meshes better with the granite and the floors. I think the white would be too much of a sharp contrast. I like the way the granite looks with the warmer white cabinet sample. More inviting somehow and in the same tonal range.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    So we finally chose the cabinets. We went with the "white" but it's not a bright white. It's more of an off white. We've picked the countertops. We just need a backsplash and paint colors. There are only a few spots to paint in the kitchen. One being the ceiling and a small section above a door. However, it has to transition into our dining area. Any color suggestions would be great.
  • nhhiker
    hace 10 años
    I hate to jump in late but I'd think twice about an engineered wood floor. I did the main level of my vacation condo in engineered cherry. It looks beautiful but it's not holding up well. I just put an area rug in the kitchen to keep it looking nicer as it was getting beat up, even with minimal use compared to a full-time home. I would never do it again! I have heated floors in my remodeled master bath and I love it. Every contractor I had to bid the job recommended it, had used it in their own homes, & they were right. Worth the investment in cold climate.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for the advice. We chose an engineered hickory so stronger than cherry, but we know we're going to have to use rugs for sure. We also live on a concrete slab that produces a lot of moisture (we're next a lake). Every flooring professional told us to do engineered and float it.
  • britraebasham
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Also forgot to mention that we'll need to put tile down in front of each side of the fireplace. Wondering if we should look for something that matches the backsplash or is at least in the same color family.
  • dclostboy
    hace 10 años
    Based in the countertops, I would recommend a solid color backsplash. A muted gray or soft off white (be careful that it doesn't clash with cabinet color).
    I think my favorite, BM Mineral Ice would work well as paint.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.