Houzz Logo Print
judithp17

where did you get outlet kit for drawer?

J P
hace 10 años
where did you get electric outlet kit for drawer?
Storage Ideas · Más información

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    J Maness Designs
    hace 10 años
    This was achieved by having an electrician tether a cord from the back of this box with a plug on the other end into another outlet in the back of the cabinet. Photo example:
  • PRO
    Fiorovich Group Design-Build
    hace 10 años
    We do this quite often, but I like to place the electrical box in a more accessible location like behind an under cabinet door and use a coiled extension cord within the drawer. It's also wise to put a timer on the device so that if it gets left on you don't start a fire.
  • PRO
    Docking Drawer
    hace 9 años
    Nice job. Another in-drawer power outlet option is the Docking Drawer. UL Listed and easy to install.
  • Dajo Sco
    hace 9 años
    I don't think this will pass an electrical inspection in any of the civilized countries. This is a fire hazard!
  • User
    hace 9 años

Docking drawer UL approved but not for installation in permanently mounted cabinets.

http://www.dockingdrawer.com/

http://www.dockingdrawer.com/uploads/2/7/6/6/27661581/dd_4page_brochure_010615.pdf

http://ulstandards.ul.com/standard/?id=962a

UL 962A

Standard for Furniture Power Distribution Units

1.3 These requirements do not cover products for use in fixed furnishings.

• PRO
    Docking Drawer
    hace 9 años

Hello Fred,

I appreciate that you are taking the time to actually read the NEC and I agree with you that many inspectors may not even be aware of the nuances in the code. However, I must respectfully disagree with your interpretation.

1. There is no UL standard that specifically addresses movable power outlets in fixed furniture. The closest that Intertek (our OSHA approved NRTL) could find is UL962a. We are also approved to CSA C22.2 #21, Cord Sets and Power Supplies.

2. The listing report written by Intertek says the following: The product covered by this report is a permanently connected receptacle intended to be installed inside a drawer of a fixed furniture. The receptacle is wall mounted and is cord connected or connected to a junction box by a cord and supported with a polymeric chain or sheet metal arm assemblies around the cord. The receptacle incorporates a duplex outlet and two USB ports for charging low power electronic devices or 16A duplex outlet with GFCI protection for powering various household devices or 4 port USB charging outlet for charging low power electronic devices.

Would you like me to e mail you a copy of the listing report? You can see they specifically use the words permanently and fixed in their description and they explicitly listed the product with this application in mind.

3. We do not claim to be UL approved. We ARE UL approved. To be specific, we are approved to UL standard 962a and CSA C22.2#21 by Intertek (ETL) who, as someone who knows the NEC, carries identical legal authority to evaluate and list products to a particular standard as Underwriters Laboratory.

4. You can see proof of our listing by clicking on this link and entering the part number of the product (0290-00011 for example): http://etlwhidirectory.etlsemko.com/WebClients/ITS/DLP/products.nsf/$$Search?OpenForm

5. We have over 2000 units installed in practically every state in the US and also in Canada and the UK. Many of our installations are commercial and subject to increased scrutiny by electrical inspectors. For example, we were used for both the Chicago Bulls and Chicago White Sox players lockers. We have been specified in many large scale housing developments. We have been specified in hospitals and industrial applications. We have never received a single report of an inspector disallowing the installation.

6. Code compliance aside, the electrical design and components used in our products are of much higher quality than a typical household device. For example, we built a custom cycle test apparatus to test the prototypes. We put the prototypes through at least 500,000 cycles of use and then performed hi-pot and high current ground continuity testing to guarantee there were no issues You can see a video here: http://www.dockingdrawer.com (please scroll to the bottom of the page). We use UL Listed, Mil Spec terminals which are vibration tested, fully insulated, and use a double crimp design that holds both the insulator and the conductor for superior strength. These connectors cost 5 times that of a standard UL Listed terminal but the perform better and are safer so that’s why we use them. We zinc plate the receptacle box in addition to painting. The area for the grounding in unpainted and because of the plating will never rust. This is a costly extra step not required by UL but we do it anyway. I want the ground to perform the same after 50 years in the field as the day it was new. Every single unit we ship is hi-pot tested and ground bond tested. Intertek only requires the hi-pot test and a simple ground continuity check. Instead we test the ground for 1 minute at 20A which adds to our production cost but we do it anyway because proper grounding is crucial to the device’s safety. I think this demonstrates that we are in business to design and build innovative, long lasting, and very safe products. We do not maximize profit by doing only what the requirements say we must do. We go beyond the requirements even if it costs us to do so.

If you have any more questions, or still dispute our compliance please feel free to call me. I can be reached at 408-425-4393.

Regards,

Scott

President

Docking Drawer

• User
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

1. There is no UL standard that specifically addresses movable power outlets in fixed furniture. The closest that Intertek (our OSHA approved NRTL) could find is UL962a. We are also approved to CSA C22.2 #21, Cord Sets and Power Supplies.

THAT is because it is NOT allowed !!

According to OSHA, Intertek is not approved or allowed to make, change, or approve their own standards. They are only approved to test and verify that a product meets and is within the scope of an approved standard. Almost meeting a minimum standard is not the same as passing one.

NEC 110.3

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

The UL Standard specifically EXCLUDES fixed furnishings.

"1.3 These requirements do not cover products for use in fixed furnishings."

You may as well claim that a toaster approved for use on the countertop is also approved for use in the bathtub while taking a bath.

2. The listing report written by Intertek says the following: .....

The receptacle incorporates a duplex outlet and two USB ports for charging low power electronic devices or 16A duplex outlet with GFCI protection for powering various household devices .....

Then WHY do your 20 amp devices seem to claim to be listed under the same standard.

"1.2 These requirements cover products rated 250 V AC or less and 16 A AC or less."

3. We do not claim to be UL approved. We ARE UL approved. To be specific, we are approved to UL standard 962a and CSA C22.2#21 by Intertek (ETL) who, as someone who knows the NEC, carries identical legal authority to evaluate and list products to a particular standard as Underwriters Laboratory.

NO. you are NOT UL approved. You may be ETL approved for something, but it is NOT to the standards of UL 962a as your first point already so clearly demonstrated. Especially if it is installed in "fixed furnishings" or over 16 amps, or even anything other than cord connected (ie Hardwired) The NEC doesn't allow cords to be part of permanent wiring just because someone wants to do something dangerous, nor are flexible cords listed to be constantly bent back and forth in most cases. In other words, there is a reason fixed furnishings are specifically excluded from the standard 962a and why the standard is limited to a smaller wire gauge or amperage.

When the powers that have authority feel comfortable enough to make a standard that fits the description of your product, then, I would accept it.

4. This only says it complies with the standards of UL-962A, NOT the "quote" you posted in #2. In other words, it is publicly listed as;

"1.1 These requirements cover cord-connected, indoor use, furniture power distribution units (FPDU) that consist of single or multiple outlet wiring devices that provide power for and are intended to be installed in commercial or household (residential) portable or stationary furnishings only.

"1.2 These requirements cover products rated 250 V AC or less and 16 A AC or less."

"1.11 These requirements cover FPDUs that incorporate one attachment plug and a single length of flexible cord terminated in an enclosure in which receptacles may be mounted. ..."

6. Code compliance aside,

If your listing and approval is valid and says what you claim it does, then you need to post an official copy of it on your website, not try to slip me something under the table with a wink and a nudge, with some words crossed out and others substituted.

I do not doubt that you do everything possible to make your product as safe as possible.

I would much rather see one of your devices than any other homemade version out there, but I won't be putting them in any permanently attached cabinets until there IS an actual standard developed for that purpose, and the device is approved for that purpose to the right standards.

• User
    hace 9 años

It turns out, according to OSHA's WEBSITE , Intertek IS NOT a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) for UL 962A.

Intertek (ETL) DOES NOT carry identical legal authority to evaluate and list products to standard UL-962A as Underwriters Laboratory.

Looking at the certificate, we can see that OSHA has limited the scope of authority given to Intertek.

Looking at the list of what Intertek is authorized to do, we see that UL-962A is not on it.

Accordind to OSHA, a listing by Intertek to UL 962A isn't valid, or recognized, and does not give legitimate approval to use such a device in a coffe table, let alone a permanent part of a dwelling unit.

"Recognizing Noncompliant Products

This section helps users recognize when products are not NRTL-approved or have lost NRTL approval. The following discussion provides information on how to: (1) determine the authenticity of an NRTL's mark; and (2) identify whether an NRTL's approval is no longer within its scope of recognition. The following paragraphs describe conditions in which a product bearing an NRTL's mark is not NRTL-approved."

* "The product bears a genuine NRTL mark, but the NRTL did not test and certify it for OSHA purposes. The NRTL's mark might not differentiate products that it tested and certified under the NRTL Program from products it tested under another (non-NRTL) program. To determine whether a product meets the applicable NRTL approval requirements, a consumer (or inspector) needs to check the NRTL Program website to ensure that OSHA recognizes the NRTL for testing and certifying the type of product (i.e., the test standard for these types of products is within the NRTL's scope of recognition). If the product cannot be found on the NRTL's website, contact the NRTL to confirm that the product was not tested and certified under the NRTL Program."

* "The product bears a genuine NRTL mark, and the NRTL tested and certified the product, but OSHA did not recognize the NRTL for approving this type of product or the NRTL's approval is no longer within its scope of recognition. In this case, the NRTL has certified a product even though it has not been or no longer continues to be recognized to do so by OSHA. Similar to the preceding case, the product user should check the NRTL Program website to ensure that OSHA recognizes the NRTL for testing and certifying the product. If the product is not listed within the NRTL's scope of recognition, the product user should contact OSHA's NRTL Program Office to determine whether the testing was conducted under the NRTL Program."

• PRO
    Docking Drawer
    hace 9 años

Gary,

Thank you for your comments. Please see my reply below.

Scott
    President
    Docking Drawer

THAT is because it is NOT allowed !!

NEC 110.3

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

The UL Standard specifically EXCLUDES fixed furnishings.

You may as well claim that a toaster approved for use on the countertop is also approved for use in the bathtub while taking a bath.

2. The listing report written by Intertek says the following: .....

The receptacle incorporates a duplex outlet and two USB ports for charging low power electronic devices or 16A duplex outlet with GFCI protection for powering various household devices .....

Then WHY do your 20 amp devices seem to claim to be listed under the same standard.

SD >> Because Intertek considers this an electrical device they will not rate it at more than 80% of the breaker size which is 20A. That’s where the 16A comes from. Canada has no such restriction so there it is rated at 20A.

NO. you are NOT UL approved. You may be ETL approved for something, but it is NOT to the standards of UL 962a as your first point already so clearly demonstrated. Especially if it is installed in "fixed furnishings" or over 16 amps. The NEC doesn't allow cords to be part of permanent wiring just because someone wants to do something dangerous, nor are flexible cords listed to be constantly bent back and forth in most cases. In other words, there is a reason fixed furnishings are specifically excluded from the standard 962a and why the standard is limited to a smaller wire gauge or amperage.

When the powers that have authority feel comfortable enough to make a standard that fits the description of your product, then, I would accept it.

4. This only says it complies with the standards of UL-962A, NOT the "quote" you posted in #2. In other words, it is publicly listed as;

"1.1 These requirements cover cord-connected, indoor use, furniture power distribution units (FPDU) that consist of single or multiple outlet wiring devices that provide power for and are intended to be installed in commercial or household (residential) portable or stationary furnishings only.

6. Code compliance aside,

If your listing and approval is valid and says what you claim it does, then you need to post an official copy of it on your website, not try to slip me something under the table with a wink and a nudge, with some words crossed out and others substituted.

SD >> Done. Go to the Docking Drawer specification library on our website and I have included the first two pages of the Listing Constructional Data Report where you can see exactly what Intertek is approving. The report is 35 pages of photos and a copy of the manual so I did not reproduce those for the website. If you really want to see the whole thing I will e mail it to you. Also I would appreciate you not accuse me of slipping something to you with a “wink and a nod” with “one word crossed out and other substituted” because I have done no such thing and I do not appreciate being accused of deception. I have been nothing but transparent. I am providing you everything that I have from Intertek and copied exactly what they say in their report. I have made no personal interpretations or changed in any way Intertek’s findings. I engaged Intertek as a Nationally Approved Testing Lab, paid them to test our products, and received their approval.

I do not doubt that you do everything possible to make your product as safe as possible.

I would much rather see one of your devices than any other homemade version out there, but I won't be putting them in any permanently attached cabinets until there IS an actual standard developed for that purpose, and the device is approved for that purpose to the right standards.

• User
    hace 9 años

Sorry for the colorful language. I am not really trying to accuse you of deceiving anyone. The copy on the website should help, but I haven't got a chance to look yet. I was referring to Intertek crossing words out and substituting others trying to make the standard fit the product. I am guessing that has something to do with why they are not certified to test for compliance to standard 962A. They can't just change the standard to fit the product. It pretty much says so in the definition of the word "standards". A standard can only be changed by a larger governing body that includes OSHA. As it stands now, what Intertek has actually done doesn't appear to even carry the weight of a field evaluation and labeling by a certified person, and I would still need to get special, individual approval in writing every time I used one. It is unfortunate that new and innovative products have to go through all of this, but for the most part, it is considered a necessary evil in the electrical business.

• PRO
    Docking Drawer
    hace 9 años

Hi Fred,

I confirmed with Intertek and they ARE indeed authorized to test to UL962 and UL962a. The OSHA website is not exhaustive and Intertek has multiple locations all over the world and each location has their own approvals to test to different standards. We used the Lake Forest site. Here is the internal Intertek approval for that site:

My Intertek representative assured me in wiring that they could not have accepted our project if they were not authorized to test to UL 962a and that the strictly follow OSHA’s A2LA requirements in order to maintain their NRTL status. Additionally, if you search on Intertek’s standard lookup site: HERE

You will see that Intertek has performed 158 approvals to UL962/962a for companies such as Hubbel, IKEA, Oakley, La-z-boy, Steelcase and Philips Electric.

Scott
    President
    Docking Drawer

• PRO
    Docking Drawer
    hace 7 años

Thank you very much!! If there is anything we can do to help specify the correct model just send us an e mail to sales@dockingdrawer.com and we will take care of you.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.