Houzz Logo Print
colourblindmom

Finishing touches on my living room (or an overhaul?)

Sarai
hace 10 años
Sooo, I still hate my living room after 4 months in my new house. Since most of my stuff was destroyed in storage, I've been forced to work around the second-hand pieces I scrounged up. I know a few of the problems already (I think): the couch is hideous, the wall above it is way too bare, the lamp is ... odd, and doesn't seem to go with anything else. I'm not crazy about the paint colour or the rug but I will probably just have to live with those. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions - I'm completely useless at this sort of thing and my family members have just said "Oh no, it looks fine" - not helpful. I KNOW this room is not all it could be.
I guess my specific questions are: what colour slipcover should I get for the couch? Chocolate, maybe? And what would look best on that wall - a large piece or maybe 2 or 3 smaller pieces? (I think it's too small a space for a photo gallery.) Should I take down the framed photo collage that's already there? Is there a particular type of lamp I should look for? (I'm poor right now, and for the forseeable future, but I can scrimp a little.)
Sorry for the poor picture quality, I can only take cell phone pics at the moment. Also please excuse the clutter - I have twin boys and they're very active! (The sheets of paper on the walls are various lists/pictures/stories by one of my sons.)
Thanks in advance for any comments at all!!

Comentarios (10)

• Sarai
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Awww, crap... I knew someone would ask to see the other side. *sigh* Here you are...
    That's my sad little t.v. on the coffee table my realtor gave me to use as a t.v. stand. The blinds came with the house... I know the table is way too big and should be over to the left but then it'd be on top of the vent.
  • Sarai
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Abbyjean - I moved the rug and the lamp and it looks loads better! You're good at this!! (You have the gene I'm clearly missing.)
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Thank you! Now is it possible to turn the collage the other way....will your precious pictures still work if you do that? Then it will work centered over the back of your couch. It should not be higher than 6 inches from the back of it. IF the pictures can not work the other way, lower it anyway right where it is so it will be a part of the table instead of so high. Then the lamp on the other side will balance it.
  • PRO
    Wood Floor Artisans
    hace 10 años
    Its hard to tell but your rug looks like it has chocolate and sort of a burnt coral? If you like the orangey-family it would really liven the room up to get a slip cover in that color or chocolate slipcover with coral/orange throw pillows in different patterns that look pretty together. I think adding some patterns that excite you will make this space more happy for you!
    Sarai agradeció a Wood Floor Artisans
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    I am wondering if the current pillows are making your couch look tired. Maybe see what it feels like if you take them off for now.....unless you use them, of course. If they are there just taking up space, remove them. Then just keep your eye out for some that colors from your rug and that will brighten up the couch and tie it in with the rug. Even one nice pillow instead of two.
    Sarai agradeció a abbyjean
  • Sarai
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Abbyjean, I'll have to replace some of the pics, but they're probably overdue for an update anyhow. So you think if I turn it, that'll be enough to decorate the wall? Or it would just be a starting point? 6 inches from the back of the couch.... see, this is the stuff I never would have figured out on my own.

Wood Floor Artisans, the rug has chocolate/sage/black/maroon/beige and an odd yellow-green in it. The walls are kind of a coral though (which I hate). I think I'll go with a chocolate slipcover and maybe beige cushions?

Yippee! My room is salvageable!!
  • Sarai
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The couch was from the Salvation Army, and is probably older than I am. The pillows came with it; most of the time they're on the floor since that's the only way the 3 of us can fit together. I will bring them to the basement right now. Or burn them. Either way, problem solved!

Just for kicks I'm going to post a pic of a dining room chair the Salvation Army gave me before I was able to rustle up some decent ones. Check this out! (It too is in the basement storage space now.)
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    If you can turn it, I think it will work just fine as art is not a huge necessity for your room or that wall right now.

I know everything does not always show on a computer, but your couch does not bother me a ton....I may sound like your family members now. Thing is, with kids....active kids and you are lucky to have them......a cover on the couch is something you are going to fight with as they are hard to keep on and look right even if just adults use it and sit on it. I honestly would rather see you take that money that would have been spent and use it on something else. I was going to say a pillow, but it pillows end up on the floor and take up seating space, that is a waste, too.

Now, those dining room chairs look very interesting. They look neutral, which is a plus for your room, too. If you need one or two extra places to it, I would try one by the couch corner.....either corner.......and see what you think of it. OR will two of them work together sitting across from the couch on the other side of the rug?
    Sarai agradeció a abbyjean
  • Sarai
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the idea of a slipcover, but the couch is just so gray and dingy and lifeless and old. My prior couch, the one destroyed in storage, was so beautiful... soft beige microfibre, with mahogany wood trim... so comfy I fell asleep on it at least once a week. Sigh.

I have some things I was going to frame for that wall... not sure if they'll work, but I do want to get something up there. I'll be starting a home daycare soon, so I guess that's why I'm so hung up on the living room looking really nice. It's the first room off the entrance.

The retro swivel dining chairs will stay hidden away for now (don't really need them) - until I have a 70's themed party. :-)

Thanks!! Stay tuned for when I panic over whether or not my pics/art are positioned properly. I'll probably need a big bottle of wine for that one.

I
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.