Houzz Logo Print
lmnelson39

Calling creative landscapers to help with a struggling shaded area!

lmnelson39
hace 10 años
Needing some help coming up with ideas this spring for a shaded, western-facing side of the house. Sidewalk leads to back of house and toward lake. Grass grows poorly. Would like low maintenance with perhaps a pathway or small sitting area. Rock garden can stay or go, as it's also getting overgrown. I like contemporary designs with grasses, rocks, etc. Saw a corrugated steel wall that looked cool on Houzz too. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Comentarios (12)

• Mike Slater
    hace 10 años
    What are the dimensions of the area? What's the soil like?
  • benthemonster317
    hace 10 años
    Power wash the sidewalks and repaint the playset. Take out and replace the bricks at the bottom of the tree. Take out the rock garden and lay pebbles over the yard until it's even with the edge of your house. Then, try to plant easy-to-maintain flowers along the sidewalk. Just an idea.
    lmnelson39 agradeció a benthemonster317
  • PRO
    EasyTurf
    hace 10 años
    Based on the playground in the background, I assume there's kids running around the house somewhere :)
    Have you considered artificial turf? You won't have to worry about maintenance or lack of growth, it looks and feels like real grass - and it's a perfect play surface for kids. Many schools and day care centers are installing EasyTurf because of its look and feel, durability, safety and longevity. Check us out at www.easyturf.com and let me know if you have any questions - I'd love to help out.
    Cheers!
    George
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/82915/Backyard-Installations
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    What zone are you in? What is the moisture level in this area? Dense or dappled shade? Do you need to worry about wildlife eating your plants - deer, rabbit?
  • lmnelson39
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We are in west-central Wisconsin- zone 4. This area has dappled shade, as the trees hang toward the roof of the house. The rock garden as impatiens and hosts mostly. Those do well there. Yes, 3 boys live here- ages 6, 8, 10. Lots of running through here, bikes on sidewalk, etc. Tried mulch and HATED it! What a mess! The blue tarp is actually a sand box built around a tree (kids still use). Eventually will get rid of the swing set, but they still use it too. It just needs to be stained.
  • lmnelson39
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    MIke, dimensions are about 9x25 or so. Soil is dark brown in color and moist. Not sure what category that would be in, but definitely not sandy.
  • PRO
    EasyTurf
    hace 10 años
    Mulch+dirt+boys=a mess
    That's another great thing about EasyTurf - we eliminate the dirt and mud - bugs too.
    We've got several authorized retailers in Wisconsin - http://www.easyturf.com/product-locator/ -
    Is there anything I can help answer?
    Cheers!
    George
  • Leslie Brooks
    hace 10 años
    Hostas, coral bells, astilbe, hydrangea, are all shade lovers and come in many sizes and colors. So you can get height and texture. Use some weed barrier fabric. Plant everything. Then use dark brown mulch to keep plants looking neat and fresh. Don't use a ton of mulch to avoid the mess.
  • PRO
    Twisted Minds Custom Designs
    hace 10 años
    @lmnelson39, I've attached a link to a project I completed utilizing stamped concrete and natural stone boulders to create a walkway/planter area. There are also a few other natural stone landscape projects on my profile page that may also work for your situation. These were all installed in the west-central Wisconsin region so should be similar in to your locale. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and I would be glad to answer or give you some ideas for your project.

http://www.houzz.com/projects/149092/Stone-retaining-wall--stamped-patio--firepit
    lmnelson39 agradeció a Twisted Minds Custom Designs
  • PRO
    M&M Professional Landscaping
    hace 10 años
    I would probably just keep it simple. Choose plant material with strong, architectural forms to get the style. Think "Karl Foerster" Grass. I would stay away from any steel edging products as they can hurt pets. A boulder garden with 3 or 4 groundcovers would look great!
    lmnelson39 agradeció a M&M Professional Landscaping
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Ferns come in a variety of colors and textures ,stepping stones with moss, or thyme in between crevasse's work well, add color with astible .
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.