Houzz Logo Print
rhondakucera

Where to place TV in living room?

rhondakucera
hace 10 años
I am building a lakehouse and the family room is 21x21. The stone fireplace is on the center of a 21 foot wall, and will have built ins on either side. I had planned on placing the TV on one side of the fireplace, but I need seating for 10, and the couch on the TV side would not be able to see the TV. It looks like hanging the TV over the fireplace provides the best place for TV viewing. My husband wants a raised hearth, but I don't want the TV so high that it makes viewing uncomfortable. What is the lowest distance from the floor to the bottom of the TV, with the raised hearth and mantle? Thank you.

Comentarios (24)

• sunnydrew
    hace 10 años
    TV over the fireplace is not good viewing. With a raised hearth it is even worse. Do not do that or you will end up with a bad neck.
  • sunnydrew
    hace 10 años
    You should consult with the architect and designer before building where the TV will be. now is the time not later.
  • PRO
    Tekkease
    hace 10 años
    In my professional opinion the TV over the fireplace will be the best for viewing angle and room symmetry. TV height is dependent on viewing distance and size of display, but based on a room that size I would recommend a 65" display or larger and a mounting height of around 5'. Mounting height is depicted from bottom of display.

Also keep in mind if you are planning on installing your source equipment in the built-in's make sure to have a useable depth of 24" or larger.
  • PRO
    Diane Kremer, ASID CID
    hace 10 años
    With a raised hearth, no way TV should be above the fireplace. Way too high. Center of TV should be at the same level as your eyes while seating on the sofa. Best viewing angle.
  • rhondakucera
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I agree with Tekkease that the best place for the majority of people to view the TV would be over the fireplace because it's in the center of the room. But with the raised hearth, and having a mantle, I could not mount the TV 5 feet off the floor. I think it would be closer to 5'6". With 21 foot room, I have room to have almost all the U-shaped seating at least 10 feet from the TV. Do you think that is too high to be comfortable? On a daily basis, it will only be my husband and I watching TV, and we can be 12-15 feet away easily. As empty nesters, it's only on rare occasions will we have more people watching TV with us. Based on my room, can you suggest the best place for TV placement if I don't place it over the fireplace, and I want as many people to be able to see the TV as possible? I will be buying new furniture, so I am flexible on room arrangement. Thank you.
  • lefty47
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    HI -- Hang the TV to the side ,mounted on an articulating swivel bracket - then the TV can be turned and tilted for viewing .
  • rhondakucera
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Based on the advice I've gotten, I realize my TV/fireplace combo won't work. That said, if I mount the TV to the side of the fireplace, can that bracket also pull out, away from the wall? If so, would that be better than having the TV placed on a pull out, swivel base inside the entertainment cabinet built in, which was my original plan.
  • PRO
    Digital Home LLC
    hace 10 años
    Another option if you really like the TV over the fireplace is to do the art tv or mirror tv option
  • rhondakucera
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We took everyone's advice, and will be placing the TV in a cabinet beside the fireplace. After just returning from staying in a vacation home that had a raised hearth, and TV mounted above the fireplace, we've been convinced that set-up is way too high for viewing comfort. We all ended up with headaches from watching TV at that angles. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    hace 10 años
    Have you considered an automated projector and screen that comes down for viewing and disappears the rest of the time?
  • rhondakucera
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    No. This room has a very tall wood-covered, vaulted ceiling with wood beams. It seems that putting the TV in a cabinet on a pull-out swivel tray, with all that hidden behind pocket doors, will look best with the homey-lake feel we are wanting to create. Thank you.
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    hace 10 años
    got it. it sounds like a great place to relax! enjoy. :)
    rhondakucera agradeció a Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
  • lsc62
    hace 10 años
    We are having the exact same design problem with a vacation home we are building. We do not want the TV to be over the fireplace because we want the focus to be on the beautiful stone work and roaring fireplace, not a TV. We have opted to have a custom built- in to the right of the fireplace and put the TV on TV mount which will allow the TV to be pulled out and rotated so that people seated to the left of the fireplace can view it. We put swivel club chairs near the TV side, so they can flip around and watch. We were going to build a free standing cabinet, but have now decided to build a built it, which will be bolted to the wall, but look like a free standing cabinet with pocket doors to hide the TV when not in use. I am still worried about finger prints and one more moving part to break down, but feel like this will be the best compromise. Would love to compare photos of our finished products.
  • sunnydrew
    hace 10 años
    thank you both for deciding to not use the above-fireplace for your TV. You may want to consider add a folding cabinet door to any built ins to hide the TV. It really does make the room nicer if the "big black rectangle" is not in plain view when off.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    What is right of the TV?
  • lsc62
    hace 10 años
    end of the room. Just have 60 inches of wall space on either side of the fireplace
  • rhondakucera
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Isc62 - your room sounds like ours. We are doing the same things you are, except may just put TV on pull out swivel, rather than mount. Am also doing barrel chairs on the TV side for better viewing, when needed. What is the rest of your furniture pieces in that room?
  • lsc62
    hace 10 años
    I have a sofa facing and centered with the fireplace, two swivel club chairs on the side with the TV, two barrel chairs on the opposite side of the swivel chairs, two upholstered stools tucked under the desk (which is to the left of the fireplace), and an upholstered coffee table. That arrangement seats 7 very comfortably and then a few more can be perched on the stools. The great room opens to the dining space and then the kitchen beyond, so I figure in a real pinch we can pull up some of the dining chairs.
    We opted for not putting the TV on a pull out swivel because I was worried about it falling as someone pulled it out and twisted it around...mostly our young adult children! Hope this helps.
    rhondakucera agradeció a lsc62
  • sunnydrew
    hace 10 años
    I think the Tv's can be bolted to the swivels for safety.
  • PRO
    TVCoverUps
    hace 10 años
    Something you may want to consider is TVCoverUps. Framed art(including your own) or panel adds to the room's decor, with the hidden TV and Entertainment Consoles beneath.
    See how EASY it really is:
  • rhondakucera
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I think that is a great look when TV's are not being placed in a built in cabinet, like these photos with TV's placed over the fireplace. With ours being inside a built in cabinet, it's not necessary to frame the TV. I will keep this in mind for our bedroom fireplace idea though. Thank you.
  • PRO
    ShowHouse home & garden
    hace 10 años
    What type of hinge is used? Love the fact that there is a mounting bracket that can make the TV lower! Who makes that device please?
  • PRO
    C to C Tile
    hace 10 años
    I think having a sectional couch will be a good choice with the seating. If you decide to mount the TV in the corner on a swivel, you will not only still be able to see it from wherever you are sitting but it won't take away from that beautiful fireplace. Quick question for you - would it be possible to put the TV on the wall at the top of the floor plan? Couldn't read the top section clearly. Hope we are all helping you out.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.