Houzz Logo Print
lunarising

Living Room Curtain Question

Mandy
hace 10 años
My husband and I are getting ready to move into our new home. We just had the floors redone with a beautiful acacia hardwood and painted the walls Toasted Almond from Pittsburgh Paints. Because this is our first home (no more renting!) I don't have a lot of furniture--only my couch and love seat, both of which are just a solid brown color. And, unfortunately, it is going to have to stay that way for a while until we can afford new things.

In the mean time, I desperately want to replace the twenty-year-old blinds that are currently hung on the windows. They are stained, sticky, broken, and just gross! Since this is going to be the only real source of color for a while (and will ultimately have to provide the backdrop for future decor), I really don't have a clue what direction I should go in for curtains. I am going for a relaxed, cozy feel for the room, and I am really drawn to bright colors (especially purples, blues, and greens). Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome!

Comentarios (18)

• PRO
    SJM DESIGN GROUP( subsidiary of) THE IRON CURTAIN
    hace 10 años
    few questions:
    what room is it?
    what is the exposure? ( do you get a lot of sunlight or little sunlight)
    do you have a budget for the window treatments?
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Why don't you remove those nasty verticals so we can see the windows and make appropriate suggestions for their style and configuration? You can comment here and use the Attach Images button below the comment box to add more pix.
  • PRO
    Courtney Harrison
    hace 10 años
    The questions SJM asked are excellent and will certainly help in any advice that can be given. You may want to consider however a base treatment to get now that provides privacy and drapes later when the Decor is ready for its ultimate change over. The other reason to consider doing decorative stationary drapes is your heaters run right below your windows and having drapes as your privacy layer would block any heat getting into your space when you have them drawn closed.
  • sunnydrew
    hace 10 años
    base board heaters- are they staying or going?
  • mcbmd3
    hace 10 años
    I understand your position completely; congratulations on your new home. Since you are stuck with your current furniture for the near future, maybe consider budget drapery panels for the windows. I would hate to see you invest in expensive window treatments and then have to eventually design your room around the drapery!
  • Mandy
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    To answer some of your questions, this is the living room--the main gathering place in the house. The house itself is an early 1960's ranch-style home. The large windows face south and the small windows face east; this room gets lots of sunlight. Unfortunately, the blinds are broken and don't slide open any more. So I can't get a picture of what they look like from the inside until my husband gets a chance to pull the whole track system down. I do have a picture of the windows from the outside, so hopefully that will give you some idea of the style. All of the trim from the inside is golden oak. The registers under the windows are staying; it is the only way to heat the house as there is no central air. Which causes another design challenge as far as the lengths of the curtains. I am also on an "Ikea" budget. One day I hope to be able to afford designer curtains, but it's not yet:)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Hi.

We also need to know the purpose of your window treatments:

-decorative
    -privacy
    -light filtering

or combo of these.
  • Mandy
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Probably more light blocking than anything. The house is out in the country, so privacy is not a concern stall. I would like to be able to pull the curtains so we can sit and watch a movie without lots of glare on the screen, but leave them open (or partly open) when I need a little sunshine:)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Verticals have to go. And congrats on new home. Window covers are very important. You didn't say your style. Modern, traditional, country? That will determine windows. You can go a simple panel on each end of windows. Put rings on top so can be open and closed easy. Lowes carries. Add enough panels so when closed look full. They should touch the floor. Since your sofas are brown. A color would be nice. With walls and floors you can go any way. A print would also work. But again need which way you want to go. If modern a chevron design in a yellow and white or orange and white would add interest. If more traditional a trellis design in a bright color would work. Then add pillows to sofas to brighten them up. Get various size and shape put prints with solid. Area rug in front of sofas, in a color would help too. Big 8x10. Don't have to spend a lot of money. Ikea, target, Walmart, sell all the above. TJ Max the best for accessories, art, pillows. This can be a beautiful room if you are a smart shopper. You will get a lot of help on this site. Happy shopping.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    If you have a view, and don't need for privacy, could just put on ends, don't close. For a simple clean look. Stay away from anything in the brown family. The room is a odd shape. Will most likely have to float furn in room. Is there overhead light?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    I don't think the panels will have any effect on window covers. But, I'm in California, so not familiar with them. What do east coast people say??
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    So window looks out to back yard? Ikea happens to sell panels at a good price. Just put them on ends they have to go to floor. Unless you want roman shades. For a window that size would be expensive. I think just get panels for ends only and spend money on some color in rug , pillows and chairs. Ikea sells those at great price. Get a colorful throw for sofa.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    I meant to say not familiar with base heat.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Those base heaters are not making it easy. I would recommend Roman Shades mounted on the cross mullion, so you don't loose the architectural interest.

This will also accentuate the clean lines of your mid-century house.

[houzz=
    Rustic Dining Room · Más información
    [houzz=
    Kiawah Vacation Home · Más información
    ]

I would highly recommend you go with a neutral tone. There is plenty of opportunity to add color with pillows, art, rugs, etc.
  • Mandy
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!
  • houseatthelake
    hace 10 años
    Agree with cdrdesign. I like the woven blinds. If you use the color for things that can be switched out like pillows, artwork, etc can be changed easily. I have had my woven blinds for quite a few years now and never tire of. Also I see that you have some electric heaters drapes would not look as good hanging above them.
  • PRO
    SJM DESIGN GROUP( subsidiary of) THE IRON CURTAIN
    hace 10 años
    ok. since you mentioned ikea:
    1" wood blinds: wood color ( sizes are limited. it is going to take a bit of math. ) from $20 to $50 each.
    ( venetian blinds they will give you maximum control of light.)

drapery panels with grommets: linen fabric.
    you will need 4 panels. length can be
    adjusted ( instruction included with the panels )

drapery hardware:
    1" diameter metal poles. black.

all available at Ikea

$300 wood blinds
    $80 drapery panels
    $30 drapery poles
    installation DIY

these items will do the job until you are settled in. later with a larger budget and a better feeling for the room, you can consider other choices…
    good luck
    happy holidays!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.