Houzz Logo Print
jdeweese

Hardwood floor color matching kitchen cabinets.

jdeweese
hace 10 años
I am not sure what color flooring I should pick to match cabinets. I was looking at a bloodwood which is very red and I don't know if it will match. I really am not sure if I went with oak what stain to match with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comentarios (42)

• printesa
    hace 10 años
    If you want bloodwood, you need to see it. Often enough, you might see for sale a cheaper relative called Satine, which is rather yellow.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Reds will be extremely difficult to match. No matter how hard you try it just won't look right. I personally would want to see one of the beige colours (dark or medium) in the counter top matched to the floors. Of course you will stick with a colour that is complimentary to red, but the attempt to 'match' could turn into a never ending battle with your floor installer. Of course a beautiful black on the floor would be amazing...but then again I have something like that in my showroom...so I'm a bit biased.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    Here is a kitchen with floors close in color to the cabinets. The notes refer to the floor as being white oak.
    Isles Haute · Más información
  • PRO
    Hayes Cabinets Inc
    hace 10 años
    I agree with Lampert, the floors should be complimentary but not match. It ends up looking like too much of whatever color they are.
  • jdeweese
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    So those floors are out. I figured as much. We do have a black island coming as well. So what color should I pick for the floor that complaints. I am concern that if I go to light that it will be a huge contrast.
    Also I have to pick trim I am good with the baseboard but would I be correct in trying to match a trim that is similar to the trim in the cabinet?
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 10 años
    The black island will stand on its own. It is meant to stand out - that's why it is a different colour. I would still work with a colour that is found inside the flecks of the counter top. That will tie in everthying - and the island will do what it is supposed to do = stand out as a design option.

This is shown beautifully in Lampert's photos - the photo on the Left shows the cabinets with a black island and lighter, yet complimentary, flooring that allows all elements to show themselves off without the floor taking centre stage.
  • printesa
    hace 10 años
    You could go with a lighter version of your cabinets. I have in the entire house Tiete Rosewood. It's a salmon color that darkens a bit over time. It would go well with your cabinets
  • jdeweese
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I am married to the color cabinets as they are ordered. I just posted on hiring a color consultant. We had a fire and are having to rebuild and I literally can not do it. Someone posted they hired a color consultant because after the floor color it's the wall color, then trim color. If one more person tells me how lucky I am to get all new... I will lose it. I can't even decide on type of wood for floor. It's too overwhelming. Thank you for your support.
  • mickisue
    hace 10 años
    jd, of course it's overwhelming--you had a fire, fer Pete's sake! "We want to re-do the kitchen" and "We nearly lost everything in a fire" are two entirely different scenarios, but even the first can make decision-making a challenge. The second? Holy cow.

Take a deep breath, and think about kitchens that look good to you. What color are their floors? The issue, to me, is that the color of the floor is usually not the first thing, or even the fifth thing that we notice--it's first the overall impression, and second, probably, the cabinets, third the countertops, etc.

If you can find a color consultant, it will be worth your sanity, I think!
  • PRO
    Design Details
    hace 10 años
    mickisue is right. You don't have to do everything yourself especially if you're out of your depth. There are people who are professionally focus on color and design. Find someone you feel comfortable with and trust them.
  • jdeweese
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Lol... I have another post asking about a color consultant for the paint. Because matching floors to the cabinets made me think about the paint and then I cried.

We are redoing kitchen because we made changes and took out a wall, added a small island, and moved the stove and sink around. Taking out wall was a wash because we dont have to replace drywall. I had custom kitchen cabinets and have downgraded to modular. Yes we lost 90 percent of our stuff and every bit of drywall in my house has come out. First it was smoke and water damage then insurance took forever and mold took over in the summer.
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I'm not too sure this will help, however if you consider your flooring "choice" based on the basics, you may find a solution...
    The cabinets (which look great, by the way) are something I don't think you want to MATCH... find a specie & color that will COMPLIMENT and cohabitate well with them.

Consider the specie of the cabinets 1st, then work on a color choice... some species are more agreeable to working with certain color schemes... your cabinet door pictured seems to have a grain structure similar to walnut or maple... and there may be a slight "clash" if a stronger grain pattern is used...
    There are a few of us that offer a CUSTOM prefinished product that may provide viable options in color choice, specie, style, finish etc.
    I've attached a pic of something we've done in the past... and it may be a starting point for consideration of specie & color...
    The specie is Black Walnut (Domestic) and the color is our "Vintage Rosewood"...
    Of course the finish style shown is a light hand-scraped and that as well as the color is all adjustable to customer spec. The pattern is a Chevron Parquet, but plank is available as well.
    Just some thoughts... Good Luck & Merry Christmas!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Do not try to match floors to cabinets. It would be too much red tones. Get wood sample, all places let you bring home and try in your light against Cab. Stay much lighter. What is rest of home? Do floors flow together. Why wood? I think a travertine would really work with your granite. 14" tiles. And a tumbled 4-5" tile for backsplash.
  • lvnlv
    hace 10 años
    Just a few suggestions -perhaps w a solid quartz countertop instead
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Why not hire a designer by the hour. Some do 3 hr min for a set price. I know if not use to doing this everyday, it's can just drive you crazy. Believe me, I've been in this biz 20 years, and will still lay awake at night wondering if I'm doing the right thing. That is normal. Don't stress. Take baby steps. Do one thing at a time. The cab you picked, are nice. They Do have a lot of red tones. Is kitchen going to traditional? Over modern? Those are question we need to know to guide you. So take a deep breathe, you don't have to make every decision now. Don't let them rush you.
  • dlc1130
    hace 10 años
    What is the name of your granite selection as I am in a dilemma regarding this choice alone
  • printesa
    hace 10 años
    I saw this and I thought it might give you an idea
    Rosemoor · Más información
  • jdeweese
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Ok so I need to match wood grains. And stay away from the reds.

How do you higher a designer do you go to paint store ask for recommendations Internet. I am all about it if they will do a few hours.

The granite is new they just started on mining I have no idea the name. This is what granite person said.

Thank you for compliments on cabinets I think they are good but now they are ordered matching floor to color was omg..... I love the traditional look. Once I get the paint, flooring, tile, and trim picked out I am home free....... Yea!!!!!

Thank you so much for the support it really helps so much and I feel I have support. Thank you!!!
  • jdeweese
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Castle combo looks good. It's not a huge contrast which is what I was scared of going light.
  • jdeweese
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Printesa the brown in the floor looks great in between the dark and the light. And it's like the castle combo. I think that is the stain for us. I am going to have the stain put on a board and match it and will post with it. One decision down now all I have to do is pick the hardwoods. I feel better. Thank you.
  • printesa
    hace 10 años
    :) glad you are feeling better. I know how overwhelming any project can be. Been there and I'll be there again this Spring. For now, relax and enjoy the holidays!
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    @Printesa rattled some cobwebs loose...
    Don't know what flooring is shown in the pic, but here is another item we've done in the past, which is a prime "grade" of Hard Maple with a layered color treatment to add subtle "hints" of color for accenting & tying it in with the other woodwork.
    More natural BROWNS could be added by using more of a character grade lumber or thru the stain process...
    If you could verify just what species your cabinets are... that might help with the suggestions.
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    hace 10 años
    I suggest you go with brownish distressed wood flooring. They need to blend yet not matched.
  • mickisue
    hace 10 años
    Hmm. That dark of a wood, shown above, could be overwhelming against the deep red of the cabinets.

I love the look posted by printesa.

As for designer by the hour--there is a lovely woman at my SW who consults with customers, as well. Asking at the paint store could be a very good idea.
  • 20fleetwood
    hace 10 años
    Also wonder name of granite u picked out
    Please send info
  • PRO
    simpleFLOORS Seattle
    hace 10 años
    I agree with most of the comments above, that you don't want to match but want a complementary color. I see a lot of customers in our store that come in with dark red or cherry cabinets and then want to find a floor to go with them. Unfortunately a lot of the browns (many of the naturally toned hardwoods) do not work with red. My suggestion is to take a cabinet door to a a/several hardwood flooring stores in your area. When I have customers do this they automatically "know" which floors look good and/or have advice from flooring consultants/designers that work in many of the stores.. free advice. Some of the options for you with reddish/cherry cabinets that tend to work well are maple, strand natural, lightly stained maple with yellow/red undertones, and some of the newer white-washed to name a few.
  • 20fleetwood
    hace 10 años
    If there is gray in granite you could bring that out to tie in the red cabinets and granite
    Many grays out there now in wood floor or a tile that looks like wood is very popular
    Name of granite ??need to pickout
  • jdeweese
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    20 fleet. I will call my granite person on Monday and ask. I just walked up and picked it at the yard. I am thrilled you think enough of it to ask.

Ok. So I went to the store and tried to match the darker gray and were too dark I think I have to go in the lighter color like posted.

Maple is so beautiful and very expensive. I like maple and the birch looks good but birch is not as hard on the scale. I also looked at white oak with long planks and 5 inch but was scared it may look country and not traditional.

I wanted all the floors in wood because I don't have a cut off point it flows all into together my husband wanted tile.

I like the color floors that you picked out. I have to,pick type of floors this week.

And I am going to the suggestion and have them stain different colors and keep looking at it. I did that same thing with paint samples but I actually lived in the house and it was only one room at a time and I had furniture to match.
  • printesa
    hace 10 años
    Depending on how much flooring you need, you can get a deal (better than what the price listed in the store). When we had the floor installed, we had two companies that gave us pricing. They bid against each other.
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    White oak would be an excellent choice. It will hold up well over time. Also, it can be stained in your choice from light to dark.........White oak has a very even toned grain, so the floor is not too busy. Red oak is lovely but it is very busy and might be too much for your space.
    Good luck and have fun..........
  • PRO
    Hayes Cabinets Inc
    hace 10 años
    I agree with Lampert. Floors should not match, they should contrast, and compliment.
  • sohail45
    hace 9 años
    I wanted to know what sould be the hard wood color to match Espress cabnets?
  • sohail45
    hace 9 años
    i mean espresso
  • sohail45
    hace 9 años
    i am thinking to go lighter then espresso to complement , any sugestions?
  • azvalleygirl
    hace 9 años
    We have dark furniture, so I chose a lighter hardwood floor. The cabinets have been painted an espresso color and the contrast is beautiful!
  • Katherine
    hace 8 años

What color flooring did you choose? I'm in the same position and can't figure out which floor goes with cherry. Thanks!

• SEC
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I know this post is old, but for what it's worth, Brazilian cherry floors have a lot of colors that would blend beautifully. As the floors are exposed to light, the color deepens to a very rich, variegated patina.

• felizlady
    hace 5 años
    You don't want to match your floor to your cabinets...that will be too much red. Look at several real wood flooring species, and have it stained in a medium wood tone to complement the cabinets. Different woods have different undertones and accept stain differently.
  • RedRyder
    hace 5 años
    I’d be very careful about going too red with your floor. The cabinets and island are already dramatic. Go lighter with the floor so they can stand out.
    I agree with the suggestion to take a shade from your beautiful countertop.
    Go to a Lumber Liquidators with your samples if you can. They have tons of shades of flooring so you can pick a good complementary shade.
  • PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    hace 5 años

Definitely agreeing with avoiding the reds and going for a bit more contrast. Saw you were asking about how to hire a designer. Here's a great explainer on hiring an interior designer: http://www.loridennis.com/greenblog/2016/07/how-to-hire-an-architect-or-designer-part-i/

• PRO
    Daniels Floors
    hace 5 años

Natural Red Oak Flooring

Don't match. Go lighter. A natural red oak, maple or hickory. Red oak has a loopy oak grain. Maple is mostly clear of grain and hickory has quite a bit of color variation. Keep with warm colors and steer clear of grays. If you go dark on the floor, the kitchen will feel to dark and heavy.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.