ellabeaner

Please help! Hideous bathroom!

Jessica
hace 10 años
I seriously need your help. I don't even know where to begin with this bathroom. We just purchased and moved into a new to us house and the bathroom gives me nightmares. Red and green paint. Butterfly wallpaper....ahh! This is our first home and my first opportunity to design and do whatever I want. I am overwhelmed, please help! What do you think would look good? It is a very small room with no natural light and very minimal lighting currently....I want it to be warm, inviting and comfortable and also appear larger. I'm so new at this, total newbie.

Please don't mind the mess. Just moved in and have two very small children.

Comentarios (25)

• yoboseiyo
    hace 10 años
    get rid of the red.
    that green and even the wall paper isn't so bad.

i would paint the cabinet an antique white, and the counter i would either replace totally, or paint it to match the sink.
  • mfwolfe
    hace 10 años
    Is this a half bath. If it is I see no reason to have a vanity that big. A simple pedestal sink would be fine. Then paint the room all one color. A pair of sconces on either side of the mirror would make a more comfortable light.
  • Jessica
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    It is a very small full bath. The tub is directly across from the toilet.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 10 años
    The good news is that anything you do is bound to look better then it does now. First I would strip down the wallpaper. Is that a wood counter that runs up the wall? I would also remove the medicine cabinet. If budget allows replace vanity. If not paint it white and get a Formica counter. Get a pretty, framed mirror to hang over the sink. Pick a nice color that goes with the floor. I would go with a light color. Before you paint pull electrical over so you can have sconces flank the mirror. You floor looks neutral and in good shape so that is a plus. As a finishing touch a painting.
  • lisanash
    hace 10 años
    Do you have a budget for this bathroom?
  • adelejuiamorris
    hace 10 años
    What is your budget? Start by removing the vanity and sink. You may not need a plumber to do this if someone you know is handy. Replace with inexpensive pedestal sink. Paint walls a soothing cream or gray. Ignore the floor for now but put the floor on your to- do list.
    Choose some coordinating towels, rug and prints for wall. Use baskets for storage.
  • PRO
    Seattle Staged to Sell and Design LLC
    hace 10 años
    Right now all you see is the green wall and the red vanity, because there is nothing else in the bathroom. This is why you are overwhelmed. I agree with others, that if your budget allows, change the vanity. I am not sure what material is that. If you have the budget to only paint the cabinet, then I agree, white would be better. I don't see any windows and you want to make this space to appear larger. A warm neutral color like Shaker Beige by Benjamin Moore will allow for more colorful towels. Then you can add some wall art to the wall.

Don't be overwhelmed. Just tackle one project at the time. First, you need to figure out your budget.
  • mickisue
    hace 10 años
    What is your budget? If it's minuscule, paint, towels and elbow grease will work wonders. But you'll need to prep the surface of that laminate, so that the paint doesn't peel off.

If you have a bit more money and a bit more skill, yank out that monstrosity and start over with a newer, small vanity. I dislike pedestals for homes, because you then have ZERO places to store things like toilet paper, hand towels and cleaning supplies. But there are any number of decent looking vanities for smaller bathrooms. I'd look for one that's 30 x 22, and a drop in, one piece top, with your choice of fixture.

Look at bathrooms here to see where your style is--the ones you are drawn to consistently will give you an idea of whether you are more modern, more country, etc.

Of course, if your budget is larger still, you can devote your time to choosing the surfaces and styles and then pay someone else to install them.

I kind of like the fact that I remodeled my master bath myself, and just needed my husband to help me drop in the vanity top! The first photo, in my kitchen, shows the color that the cabinets used to be--1990's golden oak.
  • mickisue
    hace 10 años
    One more thing--we can give you ideas, all day long. But the way to make "your" statement on your house is to sort through all those ideas, and figure out what your taste is. Expect to make some mistakes. I'll never forget the hideous yellow that I chose for a bedroom when my son moved away. It looked great in the store--but I didn't test it, and hadn't realized that the color of the carpet would make that particular yellow look like baby poop.

You just have to trust yourself, and trust that mistakes won't kill you. Really, they won't! Good luck.
    Jessica agradeció a mickisue
  • qoais
    hace 10 años
    Is this the main bathroom? Is it where you will be bathing the children? If so, then you likely need a lot of storage. I agree with the others, paint the vanity a soft white, put up a large framed mirror over the sink for some wow factor, along with some modern sconces, and then build some storage behind the toilet. This room can be any color you choose but since there's no window, I would suggest something along the lines of white with turquoise accent. The floor is ok because it's a small room and you can put down a bath mat in your choice of color/pattern. Ideas.....
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 10 años
    Other than the vanity and counter being a bit overwhelming, I like it, but then I love green. Orange goes wonderfully with green. I like the floor.
  • qoais
    hace 10 años
    I wouldn't paint the whole room in turquoise, but a touch of it here and there would give it some punch. It's the accessories that give the wow factor. I like the mirror in this picture...
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    I actually like the red. With greige on the walls and some deep brown accents, this room could rock.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Teal would be fun too.
  • PRO
    Triepke Door & Sash
    hace 10 años
    This is a great Ideabook to check out, there are so many options with your space. have fun! Post pics when you're done. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/21-decorating-ideas-for-a-chic-bathroom-stsetivw-vs~18960180
    Jessica agradeció a Triepke Door & Sash
  • Jessica
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I love everything in the turquoise bathroom and the shelving above the toilet is such a great idea. It is the main bathroom so storage is definitely an issue. What color would you paint the walls if turquoise would be used as an accent? And I am thinking $1000 in terms of budget. Thank you all so much! I am not crazy about the red vanity and countertop but I love your ideas! Thanks!
  • halfpint2
    hace 10 años
    White walls!
  • qoais
    hace 10 años
    You can buy a lot of paint for $1,000.00!! Paint it a soft white or what is termed a "warm" white. You can steam the wall paper to get it off, or you might be lucky and find that it's dry strippable. If not, you can score it, with a wire brush or a fork, making tears in the paper so the steam can penetrate. Should come off with a scraper after that fairly easily. So - with a thousand dollars, you can get paint (you might even want to do the vanity black as in the picture, it looks quite handsome and makes a change from all white), shelving, brackets, ornaments, mirror, light fixtures, and towel and mat set. Done.
  • qoais
    hace 10 años
    Turquoise accents
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 10 años
    Great budget. For $540 you can get an expresso single sink vanity that has storage and a quartz top. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Oxford-Dark-Espresso-Brown-30-inch-Bath-Vanity-with-2-Doors-and-White-Quartz-Marble-Top/6963109/product.html?refccid=274HSFLC54B2HGSKYNGDR4D62I&searchidx=8

The next biggest expense is a faucet then the mirror. You can easily do the whole bathroom. The vanity is pretty easy to change out. If you don't know how invite a handy friend over for dinner. TJ Maxx or Marshall's is a great place to look for bath accessories like towels, bath matts, soap dishes ect.
  • omagnes
    hace 10 años
    Strip the paper. Paint everything white, add black and white towels. Cheap solution for now. With two small kids you don't need knick- knacks. Good luck in your new home !
  • qoais
    hace 10 años
    Do you live somewhere near a Co-op store or do they exist where you live? Our co-op hardware department just had a fantastic sale and I missed a 42" vanity complete with the top with the sink in it, for $210.00. I am kicking myself!! I'm sure you can find vanities on sale in your area too.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    If you're brave, you could paint the walls turquoise and get a shower curtain like this:
  • sheilaskb
    hace 8 años

I would suggest you keep the red and paint the walls the same ivory that is in the wallpaper. Then, tone down the color by adding light grey towels and a matching rug.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.