Houzz Logo Print
idalu

Please help with dining room

idalu
hace 10 años
We just bought our 1st house and are slowing decorating the various room. Attached are pictures of the DR and i would love your opinion and advice. Is it too naked, is the chandelier too big, anything i should add or remove. Many thanks.

Comentarios (15)

• idalu
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Just want to add that the house was built in 1917 and this is the original floor and we didn't want to replace it. Also the furnitures are a mix of new (table and chairs) but the rest is old stuff we love but we are open to new ideas and changes.
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    I like karemore55's suggestions. Another thing that you can do is to paint the wall with the mirror and the end wall with a darker color that compliments the textiles that you purchase.
  • Kim Klepper
    hace 10 años
    I think it's a lovely room and I can see why you don't want to replace the floor - it's beautiful. I'm not a fan of rugs or carpet under dining tables because of the potential for food and beverage spills, but I do think textiles will soften the room. I'd put a runner on the main table, perhaps another on the cabinet under the window. Add some green plants, either live or silk, under the window and an arrangement on the table. The trio of windows is gorgeous; it's hard to tell from the photo how they open, but if it wouldn't be in the way, a light valence would provide a softening effect but not block light.
  • PRO
    The Luxury Code
    hace 10 años
    I like it, the flooring looks really nice, but if you want to change it I would suggest a lighter wood so that you don't drown the wooden furniture into a similar flooring. An easily cleaned rug under the dining table would be nice, so that your feet are nice and cosy when you're sat there. The chandelier looks fine, I think you could do with a different coloured wall paint, something a little darker maybe, you can afford to do this as the room is not too small. The mirror helps the illusion of a larger space. Some wallpaper with an accent colour would also look great. Some decor incorporating that colour would look fab.
  • blrussell
    hace 10 años
    Side panels. Remove lamp...maybe replace with large candlesticks. Large bowl, vases etc on large piece under the window. Maybe wall color so you just see the shapes. I agree, darker color on walls would be nice. I think the chandelier is fine but nothing special. A runner would be ok if you can find one you like...I think that is hard to do...nothing too fancy. However, something on the table would be nice. Maybe one large piece. Home goods has large bowls at a reasonable price.
    Add some art..vintage food/restaurant posters?
  • Melissa E
    hace 10 años
    I think a nice pale color on the walls and some curtain panels would make a big difference. I like the wood floor and wouldn't hide it with a rug, but I don't like rugs under the dining room table. Depends on how much you use the table I suppose. Then all you need are some accessories in your accent color. What colors do you like?
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    hace 10 años
    I would take the large cabinet under the window out. I would put the buffet cabinet under the window instead with a single or a pair of matching lamps. For nice ambient lighting. The horizontal buffet cabinet under the window will mirror will mirror the horizontal aspect of window. Also it makes the whole table feel more accessible.

I definitely would put a rug under the table perhaps a Pottery Barn style rug.' I see Karemore above has stated that too and she is exactly right on.

Find images you like and have them framed, or a large single picture on the wall that is vacated when you move the buffet under the window.

Now, this is important! Pull the chairs back from table enought to expose a certain amount of the seat. It is a common amateur mistake to push the chairs tight agains the table,l but this creates a barrier to the table, like a fence or a crib. You want the beautiful seats to be exposed somewhat in a welcoming position.
  • solincia
    hace 10 años
    Hello! You have a beautiful space!! I love the overall feel of the room. Before picking out colors, I think you need some millwork. I would suggest installing trim around the windows, crown molding, and tall wainscoting around the room (not short, line it up with the bottom casing on the high window. Then, you'll have a small area for paint or wallpaper to really make the room pop. Your floors are gorgeous, and I could see an area rug under the table to coordinate with the new wall color. Here's my thought:
    Colorado Bungalow · Más información

Vickery Residence · Más información
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful room. Nothing to remove. Add a little color.
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    hace 10 años
    Solincia I like the millwork and the picture of the Vickory Residence has the the buffet at the far end as I too had suggested, and I think it looks great.
  • idalu
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you all for the comments. I feel like a kid in a candy box reading them. I will thus go look for a rug for a start. My living room rug has a soft yellow undertone (see attached) so I was thinking of getting a redish persian rug. Please tell me what you think. I will also remove the big piece by the window and replace it with the credenza as suggested and post new pics.
  • PRO
    A Flowing Design
    hace 10 años
    I would first start with a rug to add warmth to the room. Find a rug you like, something more traditional since you have some antiques. Once you select a rug, I would pull a color from it and warm up the walls. A color on the walls, even if it's neutral, will create contrast with your window and base moulding and help them pop. Also consider adding a pair of tall skinny lamps to the sideboard and selecting a chandelier that makes more of a statement. These things will give your room some character and then you can start filling in the holes with smaller accessories. Have fun!
  • karemore55
    hace 10 años
    Idalu, Your LR rug is amazing! Yes, you could go with red for the DR rug, and red always looks so wonderful in a DR. I also,see a beautiful teal color in your LR rug, so that might be another color you could pull.

Lucky you to live in this period home with original hardwood floors!
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    hace 10 años
    You might want to add some narrow built-ins to define the space.

Here are some suggestions:
    Dutch Kitchens · Más información

Dutch Kitchens · Más información

The space is great! All the best!
    Let us know if you have any questions
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.