Houzz Logo Print
na240281

Mirror too big for this space?

na240281
hace 10 años
Should it be floor level or hung slightly above skirting board? Any suggestions for other furniture?

Comentarios (44)

• na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Also, any idea how what to put at bottom of console table to hide the wires??
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    More importantly, what is its purpose in this space? Is this where you plan to check yourself before going out? I'd be more interested in duplicating the chandelier. It may be too wide, but I'd want the mirror above the demi-lune table and a bench where you have the mirror. The mirror should be 75% of the table's width so you might need a larger table. It would be more substantial looking if the bottom were closed. You may need to lower the chandy a bit.
    A rug would warm the space considerably.
    Traditional Hall · Más información

New Canaan Private Residence · Más información
  • 1zed
    hace 10 años
    Why dont you put an attractive white crazed or rustic glazed or similar pot with a beautiful f the plant with the mirror in front or partially in front of mirror maybe you could change mirror frame to a rustic one..hang mirror above skirting..console table looks top heavy Id put something on lower shelf also ..x
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    There is a radiator to the left of table
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I love that mirror! I think it's too big for that wall. I think only one mirror in the entry.
    Instead ... I would use the tall mirror behind the entry table. It will come below the table top almost to the baseboard molding. Hang it just below the lower shelf of the table. It looks like it would be a great backdrop for the table.

To bypass the outlet, build it out with strips of wood slightly to allow for the electrical. Meaning two furring strips behind the mirror to hold it out from the wall a bit.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Great! All you have to do is have a rad cover build that extends on over to the table area. You'll have a custom foyer piece! And there should be room for the mirror, lamp and a large floral arrangement. Plus, lamp cords will be hidden inside! Make it as deep as your table to hold any kind of decor item you want. Top it with marble if you want. Great opportunity!
    Radiator Covers · Más información

Radiator Covers · Más información

Custom Radiator Cover in Kitchen - Richmond VA · Más información

Historical Beauty · Más información
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    Another option is to switch the table to the wall where you have the tall mirror. Get a chest cabinet for the wall where the table is now. You would not be able to use the tall mirror in this area with this arrangement.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Put it somewhere for full length checking of self. Perpendicular to a full- length window it would reflect a view and increase light.
  • lucyhomedecor
    hace 10 años
    Put the full length mirror when the table is now & move the table under the stairs. Then put a clock or picture above the table. A basket on the bottom of the table would hide the wires.
  • Rachel ward
    hace 10 años
    I agree with those who suggest that the mirror should be switched with the table. I would add a large floor vase ( high polish to add some sparkle) and fill it with whitewashed sticks.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I'm not sure how it could work putting the mirror where the table is, as the telephone socket and plug holes are there.

Think a radiator cover might work well and put lamp, flowers on it.

Good idea putting large vase with white sticks (or something else) in it beside the mirror.

Most people have suggested moving the mirror so I assume it must be too big....
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    You need to make it part of a vignette.
    http://dreamywhites.blogspot.com/ · Más información
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    As I suggested above, to work with the outlet
    To bypass the outlet, build it out with strips of wood slightly to allow for the electrical. Meaning two furring strips behind the mirror to hold it out from the wall a bit
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    LB interiors- would you have the mirror sitting on the floor, attached to wall?
  • gardenarian
    hace 10 años
    It just looks weird because there are the doors in the same space.
    I would move it to a different location and hang a pretty painting there.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I can see the gorgeous large framed mirror where the 1/2 table is. The mirror frame would look good distressed with a tall shiny vase with an arrangement- left of the mirror. The table would look tucked in under the steps with an accent light and a small print over it with a silk flower piece or greenery. The tall mirror will reflect the chandelier and the beautiful spindle staircase.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    I would use the tall mirror behind the entry table. It will come below the table top almost to the baseboard molding. Hang it just below the lower shelf of the table. It looks like it would be a great backdrop for the table. Have to go... check in later.
  • Mark
    hace 10 años
    That's exactly what I was thinking LB Interiors ! I wish I could find a better picture, but the large mirror would look beautiful where the table is but with a smaller more delicate console in front of it. Or in a bedroom as a dressing mirror, or even behind a small settee.
    Contemporary Bedroom · Más información
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I've tried placing the mirror where the table is as many of you have suggested but i wondered if it looked too low, i didnt like it sitting out from the wall unless it is touching the floor. should have taken a photo of it to see what anyone thinks. I'm sure I could try it again! This is a clearer picture of that side... I don't like the arrangement I have at the minute. Infant it looks pretty bad I think!
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Tried moving mirror to where many of you suggested. I don't like it sitting out from wall unless mirror was touching the floor. Would then need something above radiator.

Should have taken a photo, I'm sure I could rearrange it again.

This picture shows better what this side of wall is like, don't like the arrangement that I have now, infact it looks pretty bad.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Didn't mean to post twice, didn't think it posted first time round!
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Yes, I would be building that entire wall out with the rad cover at table height and hanging the mirror above the end that allows it to reflect the chandelier. On the other side you can add a tal sculpture or lamp. These are very stylish - just like built-in furniture.
    Tracey Stephens Interior Design Inc · Más información

Quartersawn Oak Beauty · Más información

Radiator Cover · Más información

Beautiful renovation in historic Mt. Pleasant · Más información
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    hace 10 años
    Nice mirror, but I don't think it belongs there. I think it is too big for that space
  • User
    hace 10 años
    This mirror would be great in a bedroom;)
  • Ramona
    hace 10 años
    I really like the idea of the mirror behind the table which I would not have thought of; however, the new picture makes that seem impossible as the radiator is too deep and wide. So great mirror, but maybe it isn't possible to work it into the entryway. The radiator looks like a modern thin model, so maybe with a larger table you could do this. You need to imagine the mirror with the table in front. I don't think furring strips will work, but you could to a french cleat to hang the mirror and install a bracket which keeps it clear of the radiator. Then you need a larger table to put in front. I love the look, so I would really search around. The added benefit is that you can reflect the chandelier with this arrangement. Then you need a rug. I think it could be stunning.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    After seeing the size of the radiator, I take back my idea of the mirror behind the table. The mirror is beautiful but will not work in this room. That wall needs to be treated as a total vignette including the radiator. Deco's idea for the radiator cover is a better idea.

Or a long console table to camouflage the radiator and treat the space as one unit. The mirror that is there now is not right either and it is too high. That mirror that is there will work lower and if there was a console table under it. Too disjointed.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    To give you a visual. Something like this with two ottoman benches or small tables.
    Mirror and Console Table and Benches · Más información
  • caterfran
    hace 10 años
    Maybe the frame shpild be painted. Looks too bedroomy
  • Laura Ricci
    hace 10 años
    How To disguise cords showing: Look for vinyl tape at your hardware store. My Home Depot has this "electrical" tape in about 20 colors. Find the closest match to your wall color and cover your cords. I cut pieces of 3" long, and lay it lengthwise along 3 " of the cord and then press it around to cover the complete cord, repeat. To avoid future issues of having to remove the tape and deal with sticky cords, I wrap each cord individually. This way I'll just add another layer of vinyl tape, rather than remove the first. The tape is really inexpensive, and isn't too shiny. Just disappears.
    When able, I tape the cord to the back of a leg so it is hidden for part of the distance.
  • Darzy
    hace 10 años
    How would it look if you put the mirror on top of the console and leaned it against the wall? Then, two art pieces above the rad.
  • Laura Ricci
    hace 10 años
    Can you just install a shelf above the radiator? This way you could put it anyplace on the wall and let the radiator fade into the background. If you want period furnishings in the space, cut the legs off a piece and attach it to the wall instead. If the table you have is not too precious, it looks like you could remove the back legs and the bottom shelf, anchor to the wall, and let the front legs stay. Or better yet, remove the bottom shelf, and just the one back leg next to the radiator. Center the furniture on your wall and anchor to the wall.
  • Ramona
    hace 10 años
    noiw8 has given me an idea. Find a larger console with nice legs. Inexpensive please. Cut out the back of the console so that it fits over the radiator. Bolt the whole thing to the wall. Nicer than a radiator cover and cheaper?
  • PRO
    Carmel Decor
    hace 10 años
    If you were to cover the rad with a rad cover or a console, would it interfere with opening the front door?
  • fos5
    hace 10 años
    It appears totally out of place. Appears to be an "over mantle mirror".
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks so much for all the comments, some great ideas so really need to think about it.

I'm so disappointed the mirror is unlikely to fit this room as I love it.

I don't think I want to put it on the radiator wall and think either a bigger console table or radiator cover are my favourite options.

I'm not sure if a radiator cover will suit though as it might interfere with opening the cloakroom door. The front door is well away so won't interfere with that.
  • Noha Musilhy
    hace 10 años
    No its lovely
  • PRO
    Synlawn of Kansas City
    hace 10 años
    No, it looks great.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you Noha and Synlawn.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    LB, this is great! Thank you! i love the way you can draw picture on photo to help visualise it!I'm definitely going to get a large vase to put I the corner beside mirror.

I'm not sure if there is anything else I could put instead of the stacked boxes. with two very young children its not practical.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    You're Welcome! Maybe one small armchair off center of the mirror angled toward the table.
    Traditional sitting room · Más información
  • Lyn Agre
    hace 4 años

No matter what that mirror just does not work in the place by the stairs. It's fighting the lines of he stairs. Find another home for the mirror.

• Lyn Agre
    hace 4 años

by another home I mean another spot for the mirror . It's a great mirror. Is is vintage? antique?

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 4 años

Sorry... very old post!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.