Houzz Logo Print
hhase

Dining chair height.

hace 10 años
I would like to update my dining set with two upholstered chairs on the end...I found the perfect ones, but they are 34 inches tall, and my other 4 chairs on the sides of table are 37.5 inches tall. Is this height difference okay? Or will the scale look off? Thanks for your input!

Comentarios (20)

• hace 10 años
    I like to see the end chairs taller but without a pic ?
  • hace 10 años
    Follow your gut ;)
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    As a general rule it is aesthetically more pleasing to have the end chairs the same height or taller than the side chairs. However if the end chairs have more overall mass or the upholstery pattern is bolder the proposed chairs could work.
  • hace 10 años
    Doubled checked, upholstered chairs are actually 34.7 inches. My gut tells me no...but I looooove them and the price! Yes, they are more bulky due to being upholstered.
  • hace 10 años
    If you loooooove them then go rouge!!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Went scouting to see if I could fine a pix that addresses your problem. Found one..

What do YOU think?
    My Houzz: DIY Love Reforms a Dated Cape Ann Home · Más información
    hhase agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • hace 10 años
    I think this looks awesome! Wondering if this works because the side chairs seem to disappear into the wainscoting. Would it still work if they were wood to match the table?
  • hace 10 años
    Here is a link to the upholstered chairs. Looking at the wheat colored ones.

wayfair.com/Safavieh-Sinclair-Ring-Side-Chair-Set-of-2-FV23141.html

Love the rings on the back, have found similar ones without rings, can you buy these somewhere and attach somehow?
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    My only concern now is that you have not actually sat in them.
  • hace 10 años
    They're called "side chairs". Use that as an indication.
  • hace 10 años
    Dining table similar to this one with matching straight back chars. Would the upholstered chairs work with this?

http://houzz.com/photos/4057494
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    If that picture suits your taste, then I say go for it. I do agree that the final decision needs to be held until you've actually sat in them. Captain's Chairs are supposed to be for the hosts of the party, and traditionally would be a "nicer" chair than the side chairs. I'm interested in the seat height. You don't want to SIT lower than your guests, either...
  • hace 10 años
    Measure between the legs on the short sides of the table, where your new chairs will go. The chairs you're looking at are 20.1" at their widest point. You can probably make a little mock-up of the chair size using cardboard boxes and see how they will look. They seem too small IMO.
  • hace 10 años
    Not too worried about comfort...as the end chairs will not get sat in on a regular basis. Do think this will work, or go for taller ones without the back hook detailing?
  • hace 10 años
    I agree with orangecamera--the title says it all. Usually, upholstered host/hostess chairs are larger and more substantial than the side chairs, most with arms. I would not go with these chairs.
    hhase agradeció a Nancy Walton
  • hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Hmmm, if you're having a dinner party with enough guests to the point that you need people to sit in the chairs at the head and foot at the table, that would usually be the host(s) and hostess(es). Meaning YOU! You should care about the comfort factor of the chairs. I'm kinda sad that you wouldn't care about the comfort factor of the chairs even for your guests. But if you're just getting the chairs so they make your dining room "look better", these are not the best choice, IMO.

A thought has occurred to me. Are you looking for chairs to use for the upcoming holidays, but rarely if ever again? If that's the case, you could use some of your existing chairs at the head and foot, and put these (or other) chairs along the side. Especially if you have small children that you can put in booster seats on them.
  • hace 10 años
    I don't like it when the chairs sit too low at a dining table. I'm short and it feels like I'm "shoveling" food from table. I'm not a fan of captain's chairs also. It's like the ones on the end are more important than the people sitting on the sides. I like the look of mismatched chairs in some cases, but not "better" chairs for the head of the table.
  • hace 2 años

I have a similar issue! I haven’t purchased the head chairs yet but my husband and my daughter really like them. The side chairs are 39.5” high and the head chairs are 32.5” high. A full 7” difference! The head chairs are definitely bulkier. In the pic there are 4 side chair but I have 6. The table is 84-96” long.

• el último año

This is my dilemma. I like the way yours look I in the picture.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.