Houzz Logo Print
snowflake56

Kitchen separation?

snowflake56
hace 10 años
The black dots on the floor plan of my open spaced condo are cement posts. I may miss a separate area for my kitchen. I have been thinking about putting glass block on either side of the posts by the kitchen to create the illusion of a separate space but leaving the island exposed. Would love some feedback?

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 10 años
    This is a contemporary layout and I wouldn't enclose the kitchen from the rest of the open areas for resale purposes.
  • PRO
    Innova Cabinetry, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    You could clad the posts in wood millwork to make them more decorative. That would add a little separation and help incorporate them into the adjacent cabinetry.
  • PRO
    Cucine Ricci
    hace 10 años
    I would agree with Dytecture. If you start treating the posts, you have to follow through with the posts in the living room and bedrooms as well. Consider moving the island a little towards the living room (making sure that access through the sliders are not restricted) From the plan (difficult to really tell) is seems as if you have about 36" of space between counters - would not do that to my worst enemy!. Anything less than 48" between counters ensures that the kitchen becomes a 1-person kitchen. For a small kitchen like this, 48" is fine, for larger kitchens 54" distance between counters is optimum, more than 60" becomes a travel. Embrace the concrete columns!!
  • snowflake56
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you - great info
  • PRO
    Angelo Design
    hace 10 años
    I agree with Carolins comment. Connecting the island to the posts will draw the eye upward and allow some visual separation without closing the kitchen in.
  • PRO
    Quality Crafted Homes
    hace 10 años
    Hey snowflake! I would recommend a visual separation of the spaces if you are wanting to give each its own entity. I have attached a picture of what I have in mind specifically. It would be fairly simple to place painted 1x8 on the ceiling. You could dress it up further with cove molding, depending on the style you are going for. You could then encase the columns with an inset panel style, which would be simple enough for a DIY project. I attached a picture of a inset panel column as well to give you a better idea of what the finished piece would look like. This is from one of our projects and features a stone base, but you still get the idea. Hope this helps!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.