Houzz Logo Print
catbiscuits

Own a Deck House - Say Hello!

Kazys Varnelis
hace 10 años
We own a Deck House in Montclair, NJ. If you own a Deck House, give us a shout out so we can stay in touch on Houzz.

Deck House is a company founded in 1959 by William Berkes and Robert Brownell in Acton, Massachusetts. All Deck Houses are prefabricated in the factory and use a post and beam construction together with Cedar tongue and groove ceilings. Trim is mahogany and, until recently, siding was also a furred Mahogany.

Deck Houses can be found in many places, but particularly large numbers of them are in Massachusetts and North Carolina. I've added a couple of images of our house.

Comentarios (414)

• Molly T
    hace 7 años
    I had a conversation with my Houzz account rep last week and mentioned to her that it would be a lot more convenient if the posts were listed with the most recent ones first. She promised to look into it, so stay tuned!
  • clubsudz3
    hace 7 años

Hi Fred Boucher,

Back in August of 2006 we had four "Marvin Clad Sliding Patio Door Custom Size (C SPD) with exterior clad bahama brown aluminum on both sash and frame and interior clear pine with factory applied prime coat" installed. The glazing was insulating glass with Low-E II and argon, tempered. The doors and installation was from a Marvin Window & Door Planning Center in Baltimore. The price was $4,619 per door (about $18,500). The size is 90" x 79 1/2".

• Fred Boucher
    hace 7 años

Most blog apps allow for users to respond to specific postings and have conversations go from there, instead of every post simply being added at the bottom (or top).

• Fred Boucher
    hace 7 años

Thanks clubsudz3. Not much difference. The price is the price, I guess. Thanks for the information.

• chibouste1969
    hace 7 años

@startnow303 I find that when I access the most recent post on my cell phone it brings me to the very first post on this thread, whereas on my computer it takes me straight to the new post. (I don't have the Houzz app; I wonder if that makes a difference?) The fact that posts appear as they are posted, i.e., in chronological order, is one of the limitations of using Houzz for this type of forum. Nonetheless, lots of great information here if you have the patience to scroll through it.

• PRO
    Kazys Varnelis
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

@rob_architect_aia regarding lighting, well you already have track, which is an improvement. replace the track that's higher up on the ceiling with some pendants that you install connectors to. we found some danish lamps that worked wonders. now to rip out the kitchen from the previous owner's 2006 redesign …

• clubsudz3
    hace 7 años

Hello! I just posted "Here's how I converted the six fluorescent light fixtures to LED light fixtures in our living room" over in the Yahoo Deck House Owners Group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/deckhouseowners/conversations/messages/122 ... Complete with pictures!

Hello,
    If
    you don't want to remove the entire fluorescent light fixture from
    behind the wood baffles in your Deck House you may want to consider
    converting the fixtures to LED.

Parts required:

Total parts and shipping cost: $89.29.

I
    posted photos in a new album Converting Fluorescent lites 2 LED
    lites... The photos are named "Step #" to "Step n" to show the sequence I
    followed:
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/deckhouseowners/photos/albums/1923154958

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Start converting the LAST light in the sequence and testing each light
    before moving onto the previous light in the series / chain. If you open
    up the first and last light the last one is the fixture that doesn't
    have wires LEAVING it. The first one has wires coming into it from the
    wall and wires leading to the next light. In my case they were wired
    left to right.

Time to complete: First light took me 30 minutes. Each additional light 10 to 15 minutes.

Dave

• rob_architect_aia
    hace 7 años

We have also been researching LED replacements for the living room valances --- we've found an affordable ---and customizable solution.....this company will make your LED strip lights with a diffuser cover to any length. The thing we were looking for was a solution to getting the lights to go from beam to beam ---and eliminating the dark zone that in our house has 12" in from each beam. This occurred because they had to but an outrigger hanger to carry the the valance --- therefore we had a 48" fluorescent strip in the center of each of our bays with about 12" of dark on either side ----so were looking at ordering from this company and getting a 12" for each side and a 48" in the middle .....here's a link:

www.glowbackledstore.com

• rob_architect_aia
    hace 7 años

Carpenter Bee time is here....the first carpenter bees appeared this week here in Maryland ---so today was carpenter bee prevention day at our house ---for years on our prior home I learned to use a 1 gallon pump sprayer with a bee kill/prevention mixture ---now on this new home we're on the same regiment ---if you coat the fascias and beams in the very beginning of spring it keeps the bees away all season--- and if there are any signs of strays buzzing the house later in the season, a quick reapply usually gets you thru the whole year ---they find other places to nest in the forest and stay away from the house .....don't wait till it's too late.....

• annehandy
    hace 7 años

Thanks for this! We live very close to you (in Lutherville, MD right next to BCC) and just purchased our deckhouse last August from the original owners. My husband and I noticed carpenter bee holes in our house and have had two exterminators out today to take a look. I'll be interested in hearing what they have to say as well.

• rob_architect_aia
    hace 7 años

My experience---Don't bother paying exterminators --- I've had cedar homes of my own for 20 years and designed many for clients of mine, and all you need to do is what I posted ---exterminators may spray diatomaceous powder into the nest holes ---that will kill bees in the nest and deter ones from re entering the nest hole --but it wont stop more bees from drilling more holes all over your house elsewhere-----I've done it all over the years --- just get a pump sprayer and coat the fascias and beams with the product I posted or one similar ---it will protect the house all summer.....and since you are so close we'd love to share house visits....write me at rob.architect.aia@gmail.com --- lets do home tours.....

• carlsonrandy_us
    hace 7 años
    Proud new classic Deck House owner in Winchester CT
  • June Weatherbee
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

my parents own the first deck house that was built in Pennsylvania, c. 1967.

• carlsonrandy_us
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Deck House for sale...

81 Mallard Rd

South Kingstown, RI

$699,900 | 3 Bed • 2 Bath

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/81-Mallard-Rd-S_South-Kingstown_RI_02879_M35393-36815

• User
    hace 6 años

We bought our Deck House in Arlington, VA last year and love it so much! I'll be writing about it in the August, 2017 issue of Washingtonian Magazine.

• Steve Graniere
    hace 6 años

I have a Deck House in Princeton, NJ. Our house has the slanted windows over the living room which look great but are a maintenance bear. There are translucent exterior shades that roll down which are original to the house (1991) that I want to replace. Has anyone dealt with this? I'm concerned that the because of the angle of the windows the fabric actually touches the glass in spots which I am reading decreases the efficiency of the sun shade and can damage the glass.

Thanks,

Steve

• PRO
    Dreambath Sanitaryware Factory
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Beautiful deck house! But if you put the solid surface bathtub in your bathroom, I think it’s perfect!

• dzaner
    hace 6 años

We have a deck house in southeastern PA in grey stained cedar that is about 30 years old. The siding is rotting all over from the ground up. We live in a wooded enough area that there is a lot of humidity. We are embarking on a major repair project to replace all or some of the siding. We have been recommended to use either pressure treated cedar with a new proper vapor barrier, or to go with one of many synthetic siding products.

While I love the wood aesthetic, I also LOVE the idea of maintenance free materials. I am looking for advice:

a) on proper materials and techniques to go under the siding to prevent recurrence of the rot.

b) recommendations for materials to use to replace the siding.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Jane

• PRO
    ESHI Builders LLC
    hace 6 años
    My company did a complete interior renovation on 1977 Acorn Deck House a long with many structural repairs to the deck and around sliders..Give us a Call for all your Deck House needs we service all of Rhode Island and Southern MA..call for a Free estimate...401-524-6454..Thanks Dwayne from ESHI Builders LLC
  • PRO
    Pine Street Carpenters & The Kitchen Studio
    hace 6 años

We just completed a fun whole-house remodel of a Deck House in Wilmington, DE. Check it out here:

https://www.houzz.com/projects/2654378

Deck House Remodel in Wilmington, DE · Más información

• PRO
    ESHI Builders LLC
    hace 6 años

Just a little bling we threw into this 1977 Deck House Remodel...we love what we do, taking something old and breathing some new life back into it.

• chadmiller
    hace 6 años
    On the upper deck porches on our deckhouse we have a grey textured coating that almost feels rubber like. On the original blueprints it called for waterproof coating. The coating is in great shape but the color is very inconsistent and has a good bit of stains from use over the years. Does anyone have experience in what this coating could be or if a product that could be put over it to freshen the look? I am reluctant to paint it in case it has to breath or painting could somehow trap moisture or just end up not adhering and making it look worse in the future than it already does. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated!
  • chadmiller
    hace 6 años
    I also meant to point it that it feels very gritty like a grip tape on a ramp or skateboard but when depressing with the fingernail you can tell it has some give to it....hence the rubber like description I mentioned before.
  • Adam
    hace 6 años

Hi Chad - It sounds like it could be something like this:

https://www.gulfsynthetics.com/deck-revive-kit.html

A polymer coating with grit that gets mixed with latex paint.

PS I just added you to the Facebook group - sign in and take a look around!

• jmccutcheon
    hace 5 años

I am leaving California and moving back "home" next month. CA Eichler homes have always been out of my price range. Luckily we found a Deck House which I love even more! I just purchased this beauty and can't wait to move in. https://www.zillow.com/homes/155-Leed-St,-New-Kensington,-PA-15068_rb/

• PRO
    Acorn Deck House Company
    hace 5 años

@jmccutcheon Congrats on your new home! If you have any questions about your Deck House, please call us at 800-727-3325 - our Parts & Service Dept would be happy to help you in any way we can.

• PRO
    Pine Street Carpenters & The Kitchen Studio
    hace 5 años

Congrats @jmccutcheon - and good luck with the move!

• raznick_jm
    hace 5 años

We own a 1970+ Deck House bought by my husband in 1983. We've done several updates, but the bones are still the same. We love it and would like to find the same house we have in Maryland, but in North Carolina. Any suggestions as to how to go about finding one.

• PRO
    ESHI Builders LLC
    hace 5 años
    We just wrapped up this new deck addition to this 1989 Acorn Deck House
  • Chris
    hace 5 años

@ raznick_jm There is a closed Facebook page that is very active, and a number of deck house owners in MD and listings are posted from time to time.

• jraznick
    hace 5 años
    Your layout is similar to ours. We are in Maryland, looking to find a Deck style in North Carolina
  • Usuario de Houzz-850445855
    hace 5 años

I own a Deck House in SE PA which had the slanting window roller curtain problems. Instead of trying to fix the system and replace the 25 year old curtain material, I came up with the solution as pictured. It has the added advantage of improved insulation and is maintenance free.

• mosiebarrett
    hace 5 años

Our deck house in Sudbury, Mass has the original, dark stain on the t&g cedar/fur decking that forms the roof/ceiling. Does anyone have experience sanding this to make it lighter? Since a total makeover is on the horizon for this house, I'm thinking that sandblasting be an option. I've added <1 inch depth t&g boards to the bathroom to lighten it up, but the look is a bit shiny and un-Deck like.

Also, in response to an earlier post about the surfacing material for the flat-roof-deck over the garage, a Boston-area contractor recommended Duro Last membrane, and it is has held up very well.

• Frederic
    hace 5 años
    Comment so I can follow
  • Catherine Petrusz
    hace 4 años

jraznick I am selling my childhood home in NC, a Deck House built near Chapel Hill in 1978. It breaks my heart to sell it, but we have to for my mother's long term care. It is a 4 BR, 2 BA with a bonus room and two decks. We have replaced the decks (the original decks were not stable). I love the house so much, what a privilege and a joy to have grown up in a deck house.

• Usuario de Houzz-335250537
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Hello Deck House Friends

Searching and searching in MD for a Deck House. Any suggestions for the best place to look? I noticed some people where from the Lutherville Loch Raven area. I had no idea there were any in the area. So far, I have only found one for sale in Westminster and it went to contract rather quickly. I will look into the Facebook group. Thanks for any guidance or recommendations.

• preethi_ic
    hace 4 años

Hello,

We own a 1984 deck house in a suburb of Boston (Harvard, MA). We having wooden sliding doors in 2 of the bathrooms. One of them is getting really unwieldy, does not slide smoothly and gets stuck.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• brrrlington
    hace 4 años

Hello, I have a 1974 original deck house roof that needs replacing. If anyone has experience using metal options, I'd appreciate your opinions. HU-850445855 is your whole roof that standing seam? It looks great. Thank you.

• R L
    hace 4 años

I just want to say how fun it is to read this Board. As a newborn I was brought home to the a Deck House (in 1963) which my parents bought in 1961. It was in the first group of Deck Houses built in Concord, MA. The Headmistress of my school was Mrs. Berkes and my classmate and friend was the daughter of Mr. Brownell. It’s so fun to see the photographs and be taken back to then. My mother misses that house!

• Cathy Brigham
    hace 4 años

Hi - we just bought a deck house in Chapel Hill. We are loving it! And so glad there's a community. Looking for ideas on how to improve / redo the bathrooms. Any ideas out there?

• PRO
    Kazys Varnelis
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yahoo Groups is dead, but I've transitioned the site over to https://groups.io/g/deckhouseowners … Come and join us and please post!

• PRO
    Kazys Varnelis
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi everyone, Yahoo Groups is shutting down, so I've moved us over to a new site. https://groups.io/g/deckhouseowners We really need posters there! If you sign up, you gain access to a lot of information, like how we thoroughly refinished the mahogany siding on our Deck House this summer, how to replace fluorescent cove lighting with LED lighting, and much more.

• Pj
    hace 2 años

Hi, everyone! We just bought a 1974 Deck House in Maryland and expect to move there in about a month! Looking forward to ideas and inspirations. Thinking about painting exterior Cherokee red. Thoughts?

• Usuario de Houzz-393585561
    hace 2 años

Hi , I have a beautifull Deck house 89 for sale near Princeton NJ . Look on zillow - in Pennington .

• Usuario de Houzz-850445855
    hace 2 años

We have just listed our Deck House located in West Chester, PA. It was built as a Deck House model in 1989 and we purchased it directly from them in 1995. realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1148-Saint-Finegan-Dr_West-Chester_PA_19382_M41101-83523 for further information

• peaks123
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

We will shortly be listing a Deck House in the Gaithersburg, Maryland, area. 5 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 3155 sq feet, in excellent condition. Let me know if you are interested.

• Nathan Felt
    el último año

We have a 1967 deck house an doing a first remodel of the Kitchen. I have a question on what kind of sub floor is necessary for 12 x 24 porcelain tiles without risking cracking. Currently there is 3/4 plywood on the deck boards and I am planning on using a decoupling membrane. What have others done? Thanks!

• RL Joy
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

Hello Nathan. Have you contacted the Acorn Deck House Company yet? Steve Kay is their parts and service manager and has helped me with many things. I would start there. Here's a helpful link : https://www.deckhouse.com/owner-resources/ They also have a renovation guide!

• Nathan Felt
    el último año

Ah yes, thanks for the suggestion. They are the people to ask.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.