Houzz Logo Print
lvautrin

Need help with my dining set (table and chairs)

hace 10 años
I have this dining set in honey color that I am getting bored of.
The table top is not in great shape so I tend to put a tablecloth.
So I would like to spray paint the chairs but cannot decide on a color.
Any idea how I could change without getting rid of everything?
Thank you!

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    hace 10 años
    Nothing to lose by painting the table. It will add color and interest without changing the chairs. As far as a suggest color, you could play off the blue glass vase. I think this is the best and most cost effective solution.
    L V agradeció a User
  • hace 10 años
    The set would look great in espresso or the same color as your buffet. You could also paint the chairs blue and the table black.
    L V agradeció a Dar Eckert
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Yes I agree with the comment above that the set would look good in expresso or some sort of brown. good luck!
    L V agradeció a OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • hace 10 años
    STOP! Do not paint that table. It is classic midcentury modern and it deserves to be seen. I think it would be worth refinishing, but I'd keep it the same tone because that is classic, too. If you really don't like the table, I'll bet you could find a buyer on Craigslist in no time and get a decent price for it, too.

Painting the chairs is a great idea and would give this space whole new life. A turquoise would echo the bottle on your sideboard and brighten the room.

Can you move the pendant so it hangs over the center of the table? Maybe it could be swagged if you can't move the electrical box. This would require lengthening the conductor, but that's a fairly easy job.
    L V agradeció a groveraxle
  • hace 10 años
    In trying to identify your table, I found these. They are both Heywood Wakefield. The second set--table and four chairs--have a beginning auction price of $300. (You'll notice the table condition is pretty awful.)
    L V agradeció a groveraxle
  • hace 10 años
    Thank you for the information! I bought the table second hand in France 13 years ago for 120 euros, I was told it was from Roche Bobois but I could not really verify it. I will investigate more...
  • hace 10 años
    I would leave the table as is and paint the chairs black.
    L V agradeció a Judy M
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Paint the table top and chairs... think about accessorizing the buffet.
    L V agradeció a Sustainable Dwellings
  • hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Or add a (blue) back-painted glass top to the table, if the chairs don't provide enough colour change for you.
    L V agradeció a studio10001
  • hace 10 años
    First of all change chandelier. This one boring. A more modern one in a white and silver metal would work. Google pictures. You could put all iridescence mosaic tile on top, white pearl. Paint will chip after a while, but is good for a quick fix, of something you will get rid of soon. The easy fix too chairs High back, leather in a color. Pier one has them. If not in budget. sand and stain a darker color stain is always better than paint. A big round rug would help the space. Like teal.
    L V agradeció a Nancy Travisinteriors
  • hace 10 años
    Sorry didn't see woven chairs they can be sprayed painted, go a bright teal or peacock color. You need color. .
    L V agradeció a Nancy Travisinteriors
  • hace 10 años
    I'd leave the table as is for now and spray the chairs a brighter color. The blue from the (water?) bottle on the table is actually a great color. Then accessorize the table top.
    L V agradeció a Emily H
  • L V agradeció a groveraxle
  • hace 10 años
    looks like all of your furniture has the black color to it. I would do the chairs in black and do a black stain on the table. You would still see the wood grain. I think it is called ebony in stain.
    L V agradeció a cassie121212
  • hace 10 años
    A raspberry chevron pattern area rug under the table, warm gray spray-painted chairs, change all the metal in the room to brushed nickel, candles in raspberry, and rehang a new light fixture. Love the Nelson pendant above!
    L V agradeció a Mary Ann Jenkins
  • hace 10 años
    It is Fab, groveraxle!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Keep the table and refinish in same color. I'd paint the chairs red cover the shade on the lightt in a fun fabric and center it and purchase a coordinating rug that works with the light
    L V agradeció a Lori-Girl Creations, Inc. Interior Designer
  • hace 10 años
    Whoa, if those prices for these kinds of table are realistic ones, the last thing I'd do is paint it, because that would only make the value of the piece plummet . Perhaps the best thing you could do is have it appraised, and if its really worth that much money, then sell it and buy a table that you really want-or a whole new set, for that matter. I'm sure that you could also sell the chairs, although I've seen other people out here buy new ones that are similar, but they were a darker shade. You could also just stain the wicker a darker color.
    Here's a 1960's ad for a Roche Bobois dining set. I don't think the legs are an exact match, but its darn close.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/april-mo/5717515209/in/photostream/
    L V agradeció a lucindalane
  • hace 10 años
    Thank you so much everyone for your comments, research and feedback! I will definitely pay more attention to this table and probably have the top refinished. I still need to decide on the chairs and pendant...
  • hace 10 años
    Ivautrin, have you turned the table upside down and looked to see if there are any serial numbers or other identifying marks that you could use to try and identify the piece? Since Roche Bobois is still a very active-and successful-company, if you could find something you could probably contact them and they probably could at least point you in a direction to find out what it is exactly you have, and what the value is. I don't blame you for wanting the piece to look nicer, but, if you do have a piece that is valuable at all, doing anything at all to it could affect the value. Obviously, its your piece of furniture, and if its unsightly because of its age, I realize that its value doesn't necessarily help when it comes to the aesthetics of the thing and how it applies to your wants and needs. I really think it would be advisable for you to at least talk to an antique dealer-or maybe there is one out here that might comment-to see what kind of updating you could do without possibly devaluing your piece. I saw this because I've seen these antique shows where people take stuff to be appraised, and all they've done is to try and tidy up the item, and experts have told them that they devalued it just by doing what they did. Now, you might find out that there are a great many of your particular type of table out there and so its not very valuable, but it could be in your financial interest to at least find out before you alter it. It's all up to you, of course. If the possible monetary value of it isn't a concern, then you should fix it however you see fit. It all boils down to what you need. My comments are just to highlight the fact that it might have some considerable monetary value, going on the manufacturer and its age, but I'm not a professional. I'm just someone that loves items that have some historic merit-be it houses or furniture, but I also know that we have to live in the "real" world, and in the real world we like to have nice, attractive furniture, too. So, I hope that you can use the table to the best advantage for yourself.
    L V agradeció a lucindalane
  • hace 10 años
    Thank you lucindalane. I am definitely planning on having it appraised... looking for the right expert now...
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    I suggest keeping the table as is (refinished if necessary). It will take alot of spray cans to paint the chairs! Also, painted wicker inevitably will crack. You mentioned not wanting to change everything but for very little money, you could get new chairs and a ceiling fixture at IKEA and change the whole look of your dining room keeping in line with the MCM of your table. I like the idea of bringing in some red.
    L V agradeció a Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    More budget-friendly options from IKEA to change the design of your room. This type of mirror will make the sideboard less "traditional". Remove the jar and replace the lamp with a bigger one.
    L V agradeció a Lydia (Kazza Design)
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.