Pi_pumkin_sol3
hace 11 meses
última modificación:hace 7 meses

s

Comentarios (46)

• Pi_pumkin_sol3
    Autor original
    hace 11 meses

@User Sorry about that! The first post, made only 30 minutes ago, was accidentally deleted. So I reposted it.

• Pi_pumkin_sol3
    Autor original
    hace 11 meses

@User There was only 1 response and it was a fantastic one. I didn't mean to delete, sorry! I'm new to this website, this is my first day on it. Cheers!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 11 meses

You get an architect TO the site, and then get the builder. You take a wish list of what you like. You do not "design" , he or she does. Based on a marriage of site, interior needs and wants, and exterior. A good architect doesn't need "your" design, at all. Every builder benefits from a good construction plan.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 11 meses

"Architects tend to be less flexible when stubborn about their "visions."

UN true. It's usually the client insisting on jamming a square peg into a round hole : )

Just sayin....

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 11 meses

You should use a builder unless you have the experience or want to gain experience that you wish you didn't.

As far as the architect, you need someone to produce a set of construction drawings to produce the home you want. I feel, and I may be partial, using an architect is the best way to build the house that meets your needs and fits your site. That being said, there is a myriad of conditions that influence the degree of expertise needed or wanted, depending upon your circumstances. Some people want to get by as cheap as possible, other people know what it takes to get what they want.

• Lorraine Leroux
    hace 11 meses

A building FIRM have architects within the firm as well as builders, electricians, plumbers, cement contractors and most importantly site managers etc. Go with a reputable firm and you will not have to get your own builder or architect. NOW saying all that often larger contractors have an architect they work with or recommend so that sometimes is an option. Do some much needed research and find the team that best suits what you wish to do.

• res2architect
    hace 11 meses

In the US for an architect to stamp the builder’s drawings is a good way to get your license suspended

It is very rare for an architect to be required for the design of a house

Architects do not go out and find tradesmen

Start by telling where the project is

• User
    hace 11 meses
    Última modificación: hace 11 meses

You need a plan, whether or not that is from an online plan mill, or an architect who creates something that fits you just right. You will have difficulty finding a plan with only 2 bedrooms. Building is so expensive that people who do it want the biggest bang for their buck, so they build as big as the lot allows, and usually a 3 bedroom, with 2 or 1 1/2 baths as the minimum. Those are far easier generic plans to find. They may not fit the lot you have though.

Everything starts with the lot size, shape, setbacks, covenants, and location. And whether or not it has improvements to it like electrical, natural gas, and a sewer available. I would think it would, but the cost to get things from the street to the house vary by quite a bit. You cannot depend on that being X cost. You have to dig deeper into what you will need to do to build on this lot, and what is actually allowed by your location. Just getting services can easily swallow up 1/5 of your budget. Or, they can be "free". Dig further on the restrictions.

• worthy
    hace 11 meses

Licensed architectural technologists (not available in the USA) and architects for our current project quoted from C$10K-C$150K+++. So there's that. (Fees from 2018, since much inflated.)

Prices for everything building-wise vary geometrically from say unincorporated WV to, say Malibu.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 11 meses

I need to raise my rates.

• cheri127
    hace 11 meses

There are many available house plans that fall within your 2 BR/2 BA, 1200-1500 square foot needs. You don't need an architect unless you have particular, custom needs/desires but you do need construction documents designed by an architect. If you don't mind using one of the packages you can find online, I don't see any reason not to. (Plus there are crap architects out there just like there are crap builders and crap designers so generically using an architect is no guarantee that you're getting quality).

It's not clear from your original post how much due diligence you've done already for your build and whether your budget is realistic but, as already advised, don't overlook the costs of preparing the lot for building. We tore down an existing home so this wasn't an issue for us. Also, keep in mind that EVERYTHING is shockingly expensive in our post COVID world. If your budget is firm, plan a build for 20% less. It's impossible to not go over budget, IMO.

• cpartist
    hace 11 meses

A building FIRM have architects within the firm as well as builders, electricians, plumbers, cement contractors and most importantly site managers etc. Go with a reputable firm and you will not have to get your own builder or architect.

Not usually true. Especially here in FL. They have draftsmen.

Plus if you use an architect who is married to a build firm, their allegence is to the builder, not the client and they will create a plan that's the easiest for the builder. And if there is any issues when building, who do you think they'll listen more to?

• cpartist
    hace 11 meses

Where are you located?

Do you own the land?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 11 meses

I have many questions and BTW I love that you realized you had duplicate posts and deleted one so many never do. I think if you want a custom home where you already own the land with no HOA involved get an architect to bring your needs and some wants to life. If you are building in an area where there is an HOA in place good luck designing anything past what can be "approved" We need a bit more info please . As for the budget if you own the land already it could be doable . Where I live architects design a home for the plot of land and you get your builder 2 very separate firms usually . Then there are design/ build firms . We would need a lot more info about your situation. I will say I am happy to hear of someone building a modest yet liveable space instead of some monster house to impress who knows who.I think a modest well designed house with more attention paid to finishes is a great plan.

• res2architect
    hace 11 meses

Design-Builders used to have architects on staff but after the license requirement was changed to require a graduate degree instead of work experience, that has become rare because of the time and cost and that a license is rarely required to design a house

But it appears in house designers are often called architects anyway

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    hace 11 meses

"But it appears in house designers are often called architects anyway" Unfortunately, many consumers refer to anyone who puts lines on paper--or the electronic equivalent--as an "architect" or "engineer." To be sure, many builders and remodelers don't know the difference either. Those of us who actually employ registered architects for all our design work are quick to point out the difference-- because we believe it's a marketable point of difference.

The AIA could certainly do a better job of educating the public in this regard. A quick design seminar at local NAHB and NARI chapters would be one way to educate builders and remodelers. And, not to leave out the "don't-know-the-difference-and-don't care-as-long-as-it-doesn't-affect-my-commission" group, presentations at local Realtor Association meetings.

• Superior Newbie
    hace 11 meses

It sounds like we were looking for something similar. About eight years ago, I found a local architect through this site actually, who worked at a commercial firm but was doing residential on the side to eventually start his own firm. I know working with an architect is a personal experience, but he was great. We loved his plan, and he only charged us a few thousand to help get his new business off the ground.

This time I went looking for a local architect to get us close to passive house, and I ended up with another young guy who had recently started his firm. He wanted to charge us $35-50k for a 1200sqft 3/2 bungalow. He wanted to charge more for detached workshop we wanted. Our little budget couldn't take that so I found a firm from Canada (I'm in US) to modify one of their passive house plans for our site. We chose one of their existing plans to make it cheaper. Many emails, calls, and Zoom meetings later we have our house plan and oversized garage/workshop designed for our site for about 12k.

I agree with several above it comes down to what you want your experience to be and how much hand holding you want. I kept looking at online mill plans, and then would draw my own with no luck. I found the right group for us. This planning and design stage is fun, but it can quickly get away from you once you start getting bids. It sounds like you may want to find a few builders and start talking.

Good luck.

• cpartist
    hace 11 meses

You might want to check here for plans: The Bungalow Co

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 11 meses

For that budget, I'd probably go with a design/build firm that is architect led. If you went with a builder, only, you'd still need to have plans made, or you'd be modifying an existing set of plans they have available.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 11 meses

That's not nearly enough budget to interest a self-respecting architect. Completely unrealistic. Get a builder and go.

• res2architect
    hace 11 meses

In my experience its the designer/drafter who use the title ”architect” with full knowledge that it's a legally protected professional title

• Architectrunnerguy
    hace 11 meses

Everything's "architect" these days. You know...."He's a software architect" or "She's the architect of the spending bill". Clothing can't even escape the term...here's something I saw a while back...an "architect shirt". But I noticed the guy in the photo isn't drawing anything, he's reading.

I'm just waiting for them to come out with "architect underwear".....lol.....

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 11 meses

Even the shirt maker makes more money than I do.

• Pi_pumkin_sol3
    Autor original
    hace 11 meses

For those asking for more details: this is in Florida.

Is the architect legally required for Florida? Can’t I get a draftsman to create the plans and have an architect sign off on it? I say this because I already drew up a layout what I would like and think it would be more economical to go the builder/draftsman route. Again, I don’t know what’s required in Florida.

I don’t want an extravagant home, just a well-designed small Bungalow made sturdy. As mentioned, maybe some cool lighting upgrades if budget allows.

The land is already paid for, 500k is my budget to bring it to life, start to finish. Services are already there. The lot is 7,000 sq ft, so a 1,200 bungalow could fit just fine.

• Usuario de Houzz-918119203
    hace 11 meses

$500k is a lot of money. Or at least it would be to me. I would never, ever spend so much hard-earned money building a house without surrounding myself with experienced professionals, including an architect and GC, to help ensure it's money well-spent. If you really want a well-designed home, you'll need to hire a pro to design it. Your budget is sufficient to build a nice little house using professional help, so no real need to skimp.

Yes, you can go the design-build route. But there is no one independently representing your interests in that process nor is there any real competitive bidding. Versus hiring an independent architect who creates plans, then going out to bid with several contractors, comparing bids and selecting a contractor based on them, and having an architect to represent your interests throughout the building process and look over the shoulder of the contractor to ensure they're complying with the plans and not cutting corners. If there are any savings in design-build (and that's a huge if) they wouldn't be worth it to me.

• cheri127
    hace 11 meses

Hey Mark. It's good to hear you have the land and services. I have to agree with the poster above, in the case where you have a layout in mind, you might want an architect to help you with the design. I don't have much experience here; I have only built one house. While I used a well regarded, expensive architect, there were details in the design that were just wrong. Even a high end, bougie architect can be more about form over function. Before you decide, why don't you shop around a bit and find out what it would actually cost? Also, if you're brave enough, post the ideas you currently have on the building forum. Lots of good, if brutal, advice there (I found it too late to catch the flaws in my design).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 11 meses

You couldn't buy my 746SF condo in Florida for 500K, at least according to my realtor.

• res2architect
    hace 11 meses

"Can’t I get a draftsman to create the plans and have an architect sign off on it?"

This is known as "hot stamping" and is grounds for suspension of an architect's license in any state.

An architect can only stamp a document that was created under the "responsible supervision or control" of the architect which is usually interpreted to mean the drafter works for the architect.

But aside from the Florida registration laws, why would an architect take sole responsibility for the design of a house for a minimal fee? Try asking a lawyer to take responsibility for your version of a trust document for a token fee.

However, if there are structural elements that are not prescribed in the building code, an engineer's stamp may be required but it would be wise to hire an engineer in any event. You'll appreciate it when the wind starts to blow.

• cpartist
    hace 11 meses

What part of FL?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 11 meses

Are you looking for shelter or a house designed for you and your family?

• dan1888
    hace 11 meses

1200-1400 2 bed 2 bath is a simple single story house. You should be able to find a layout you like easily. You can get kitchen and bath design improvements to a generic plan here on the forums. Secure your property so you'll have control over who works on your build and what they do. You won't need an architect for this size project. You can put in your personal research and effort to reduce added costs.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    hace 11 meses

Hi, Mark,

I'm a licensed P.E. My day job for the past 25 years has been custom home designer/builder and remodeler. I'm amused by posters' assertions that design of a small home is an easy (dare I say trivial) task. In my experience, it's just the opposite. Designing a home that fits the owner's lifestyle and does so in a compact package is a lot more difficult than designing a large one. Think about designing a class B motor home vs. a class A motorhome. Think about designing a 20' liveaboard sailboat vs. a 34' liveaboard. Well, you get the point. Or you don't.

The value added by really good initial design--a home that is just the right fit for the occupants--will likely outlast the original owner.

Design cost is typically a pretty small percentage of the overall construction cost. I suggest you reframe the question in your post. Rather than think about is as builder vs. architect, think about how you can get to a really great design at a cost appropriate to a $500K total investment. I submit that you'll be well served to find an architect willing to work on an hourly basis to produce a concept design and willing to turn the design over to a designer to produce the more detailed construction documents.

• Loudermilk
    hace 11 meses

I already drew up a layout what I would like and think it would be more economical to go the builder/draftsman route. I don’t want an extravagant home, just a well-designed small Bungalow made sturdy.

You are getting the standard predictable response given on this forum that "you must always hire a highly qualified architect or else you will end up miserable in an unlivable home."

If you would truly be happy with the layout you came up with, then take it to a few design/build companies in your area. See what they think and get a price on having it built.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 11 meses

If you had to make a $530,000 bet on a horse race, you would want to bet on the best horse in the field, with the best training and performance.

• Loudermilk
    hace 11 meses

Fewer than 1 in 5 houses built in the US are "custom" homes. Building a home without an architect is NOT like an all-or-nothing bet on a horse.

The OP wants to build a "modest" and "cost effective" bungalow. He's not looking to construct a work of art that will be the focus of architectural documentaries/publications for the next century.

Given this, why would he need to hire the "best" architect in the country, with the "best training and performance"?

• dan1888
    hace 11 meses

Use a new sheet of graph paper with the wall framing and drywall thickness included in your drawing.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    hace 11 meses

I don't think anyone yet mentioned searching for stock plan as an alternative to a custom design. "You can put in your personal research and effort to reduce added costs." A google.com search of 2-bedroom, 2-bath home plans returned 1,600,000 results. I'm betting at least one of them will be the perfect fit.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 11 meses

Charles - But how many of those 1,600,000 results were made of Concrete Block?

• res2architect
    hace 11 meses

The OP's question was "But I don't know if it's needed to find an Architect." The OP also appeared to think an architect would hire tradesmen.

So those questions have been answered in the negative. To offer more advice we need to know more about the project and I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to post his design drawings.

The last time I encourged someone on the forum to hire an architect they did and the results were terrible. I was able to locate the firm and discovered that the architect had died and his family had continued to operate his firm.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 11 meses

"...A google.com search of 2-bedroom, 2-bath home plans returned 1,600,000 results. I'm betting at least one of them will be the perfect fit..."

Assuming 1 minute each to locate and view each of the 1.6 million results it will take 26,666.67 minutes, or 444.444444 hours to view the 1,600,000 results. That is 18.5185183 24-hour days.

Please let us know how that turns out...

• PRO
    DTS Engineering, Inc.
    hace 11 meses

Hey Mark,

To save a lot of time frustration and resources (yes time is a resource too), you need a team of professionals. Architectural is only onepiece of the puzzle.

If you feel like you can go have a good handle on the process and can go bareback, still make sure to protected somewhat, and sign CMAR agreement with your builder.

• Missy Bee
    hace 11 meses

Joseph Cornett…have you checked on that price since the Surfside condo collapse?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 11 meses

No, but they are reinstituting the condo check-up laws that they had revoked before the collapse and we're paying for the engineer's report.

• T T
    hace 11 meses

I would recommend talking to both builders and architects in parallel.  If you find a builder you trust,  they may be able to give you insights into what it's really like to work with a particular architect.  Aside from the initial design,  there week be many revisions along the way,  some driven by you,  some by the permitting process,  etc.  How quick and responsive are they to making changes?  Will they charge you extra for mistakes they made?  There are nuances to the entire experience.  For example, for one local architect with a positive reputation and a nice portfolio on his website... our builder shared that it's like pulling teeth to get buildable plans out of him.  In other cases,  your builder may have a good relationship with a particular architect and they may work well together.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.