Houzz Logo Print
debmcgrail

Beveled tiles in kitchen

el último año

Should I continue the tiles around my window? And how far should I extend the tiles on this wall? I was thinking of painting the walls dove white but not sure about wood work.

Comentarios (21)

• PRO
    el último año

IMO the bevel does not work with the counter I think one star in a space and that is the counter in this case. The floor actually does not work with either

• el último año

I would not continue the tile around the window. The window itself has detail on it and to install the tile around it will give you a very cluttered look. Let the window detail stand on its own.

• el último año

Thank you so much. I’m not sure what to do on that side either. I really love your ideas. We realized after putting the countertop on that it was not a good choice with the floor. We should have
    had some professional help decorating at that time. Now we are just trying to kind of make due with what we have.
    We were just trying to brighten up the other side,but wondering where we should stop the tile. Also what do you think about painting the wall white? We
    Are going to change the corner unit . I have a corner cabinet that matches and I was going to put a counter or desk with chair under.

• el último año

White wall is restful. I would not put a desk in the kitchen, but that corner unit does not work either. Not to late to get advise from pro who can come in and see what you have and move forward, save money, too.

• el último año

How about making the corner unit a coffee station? Yes I would take tile to edge of wall to match other side. Beth’s suggestions are awesome as always. I like the flooring in your kitchen. It looks fine! If it was my kitchen, I would remove some of the stuff on counters.

• el último año

That whole corner with the cabinets and tile just looks like an afterthought and does not work.

• el último año

Hi Stacy
    The stuff that was on the counter was previously on the other one that we were working on. That was my coffee station.

• PRO
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

Deb, did you happen to look at my pictures in my first comment? I can't tell if you were replying to my suggestions or others. You didn't mention anything about the window casing, so not sure if you saw it.

I just think plain molding would look better, less fussy, and actually match your more modern shaker style cabinets. I know you have it around your slider, but you can tackle that later.

As for that corner unit

Here's what I'd do

Remove the upper cab in that corner, paint the lower one to match that other blue corner, do some open/floating shelves, and turn it into a coffee station. (or beverage center)

some ideas for that dark blue corner cab. it's very dark in here. why don't you paint the back of the inside of that cab? AND, go for more of a styled look, less clutter

painting the back a lighter shade of blue,

This would be pretty. now bring in a basket for the top, and some nice pottey and styled books

or one of the pale tan colors might work

instead of the blue, you could do everything in a soft, creamy white, get a lighter wood table (round) and here's that sisal rug and glass pendant

If you want the blue, on the other side,

paint the lower part blue, do the upper shelves in the same wood as your other cabs.

Lots of diff ways to do it, as far as the upper portion. Of course you could always remove the entire cabinet altogether and do something else.

you need a rug and a pendant light over the table. since you have so many hard angles in that kitchen, doing a round table would soften things up a bit.

try bringing in a solid or semi solid color rug to go under your table. maybe rotate it? the rug will help eliminate some of the pattern on the floor.,

But, I'd still redo that window trim!

• el último año

Hi Shadywillowfarm,

Live and learn. I know now that we should have gotten a pro to help.
    My daughter is doing her kitchen and I
    told her to definitely get a professional to help.

• el último año

Hi Beth
    Yes, I love all your comments. Thank you so much. I have a lot to think about. This just started up because we were just going to put some tiles under that cabinet. I had originally wanted a round table but was told that since the room was so rectangular that it should be that too.

• el último año

Beth
    Again all of your ideas are great. I can’t wait to get started. Thank you

• PRO
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

deb, actually the opposite. with all the rectangles and squares everywhere in that room, doing something round helps to soften all of the hard looking angles.

you don't have to do the acrylic chairs, but the light wood round table is nice in that spot.

(btw, I have found these round tables from the 60's 70's on craigs list, stripped them, and refinished them (or painted the base) I acutally found a solid oak one for $15 once.

something like this. (you can paint it any color)

bring in your own chairs. again, something a little softer than what you have.

Or, you could try using the chairs w/a round table and rug.

Sorry, but that grayish top and wood stain really doesn't work that well w/this floor tile.

this one

what do you think of this round table w/dark charcoal seats that do work w/the tile?

Prob paint the two corner cabs a charcoal like Kendall Charcoal or Wrought Iron

you could do a round table w/rectangle rug

this would be perfect.

• el último año

It looks so nice. Any thoughts on a wall color. The rooms adjacent are LR Gray owl and hall Silver satin

• PRO
    el último año

Silver satin, how does it look in your lighting?

have you tried any of these?

• el último año

I think the silver Satin looks good but I wasn’t sure with the cabinets

• el último año

I was reading something about Dove white going well with medium wood
    Cabinets

• el último año

I think that Beth H. hit the nail on the head---in more ways the one in her first comment.

• PRO
    el último año

Deb, I used White Dove on my walls in my room. hated it. was very dingy looking. I repainted w/Simply White. much better

• PRO
    el último año

Assuming you are painting the kitchen a neutral paint color. It will be all about the undertones of your cabinet, countertop, backsplash and flooring.

Link below. She gives some recommendations at the end of the video based on difficult wood tones.

As far as everything this else goes, love Beth’s suggestions.
    Bring tile to ceiling.
    Change casing around the window.
    Round table and lighting
    On the right you have a matching cabinet to your kitchen. I like the dark grey and open shelving concept best.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g2o8mGvMm8Y

• PRO
    el último año

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RTqFPByY4

Try this one instead. Sorry!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.