Houzz Logo Print
kelli614

Landscaping Suggestions? Zone 9 (Northern CA)

kelli614
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 10 años
We are willing to do a total overhaul of our yard(S) to increase drive-up appeal in the front and general interest in the back, but don't even know where to begin!

We're quite traditional and want something that softens and makes our home inviting.I prefer whites and layers of greens to give dimension with a deliberate, seasonal "pop" of color in planters.

What would you do with these spaces?

Comentarios (21)

• kelli614
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you, John, for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully. I love the combination of bluestone with brick and would never have thought to pair the two!
  • PRO
    Pebble Stone Coatings
    hace 10 años
    Another great idea to give your home a little extra curb appeal before changing the landscape is Pebble Stone surfacing. Pebble Stone Coatings uses an all natural product to give you a look that fit both you and your home. With a variety of colors and designs, you can even create a custom pattern or design. For more ideas and information visit us at www.pebblestonecoatings.com !
  • tsudhonimh
    hace 10 años
    In front ... widen the walkway so it's at least as wide as the front door, and make a small entry patio there.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    We can provide you with a concept drawing in 2D for you to visualize but should always get a landscape designer in your area to install and make recommendations.
  • rosecafe
    hace 10 años
    Great setting, love the back drop of trees. But....way too much open driveway presently, it's big enough for a central island garden or Fountain enclosed by a circular driveway, done in appropriate paving, just refresh your shrubbery, adding some color, mow the grass. Done.
    kelli614 agradeció a rosecafe
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    hace 9 años
    I would suggest you look up images of classical landscapes. You mentioned green and white and these colors often go with clean linear designs. I've done projects here in southern ca where mounding shrubs and white flowers were the only plants to a landscape so it's not an unusual request. Think about different rooms in the landscape and try to create. ... Maybe a night blooming garden... A boxwood knot garden... A spring blooming garden. Then blend together with signature plants. A landscape designer in ur area should be able to help.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    sheshore ......... I'm sorry to hear you feel that way about Everything Beautiful or any other poster who shows their work. It is entirely appropriate by Houzz rules. One of the reasons that Professionals and Store Fronts have joined Houzz is to promote their business to acquire new clients. It is a business to make money.

Those of us who are pros and have products to sell on this site, have four reasons for being on Houzz.
    1. To acquire new clients or sell products and service for our business.
    2. We all have a passion for our business.
    3. We love to help people.
    4. It's fun.

The pro advice is for the main purpose of finding contacts. We all have a passion for our work, which is why we give some free advice. It is also a way to prove ourselves in our business and let others see our capabilities.

In this dilemma the poster was wanting Landscaping help. That is exactly what Everything Beautiful is all about. I also recommend solutions for exterior as well as Interior Design. This poster is not inappropriate.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    hace 9 años
    LB, Tony (Mr. Everything) has been here before and was gone for a while. Now he's back. He tends to go well beyond what other soliciting posters do. Wait and watch.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Mr Tony has some great skills, but it takes a lot of time and effort. It's a lot of work that is greatly appreciated by many here on Houzz. Sometimes we need the visuals to help us in our decisions. I think he would be great for further and specific details for your project. His renderings are very nice.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    hace 9 años
    I do the same thing (visualize with 3D software), but I don't hawk it. I think that's what people react to.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    It's hard to spend a lot of time, even tho we love what we do. It's not making us any money. If we're okay with that, then it becomes a pastime and lots of fun.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Not understanding you 'sstarr'. Pros are basically here to promote themselves and hope to get new clients. If they are not promoting, they are here to give great advice and have fun.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    hace 9 años
    I agree, LB. However, heavy-handed sales efforts offend many.
    I have been doing 3D viz (gratis) on Houzz for quite a while, and enjoy it. I also refer posters to certain Pros when it seems appropriate.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    I have contacted houzz reguarding your concerns and have been assured that its ok to promote my services on houzzz. We are all in business to grow our business. What you failed to mention is the large amount of houzzers I have helped with great pleasure and at no cost. For your in formation I am a disable American veteran confined to a wheel chair now 80% of the time, that is why I left for a while, due to many surgeries .Being confined is new to me so I find providing renderings relaxing . I sincerely apologize if I have offended anyone not my intention.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    In addition, the pros above... John Montgomery Landscape Architects as well as Pebble Stone Coatings are appropriate in their posts.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Thanks sstarr, that's good. Maybe it's the way something is said or the approach. I think we need to understand the poster may be well meaning. Sharing ideas and opinions about the dilemma is the purpose. That's what I thought Houzz is supposed to be about.

If one does not like a comment, they do not have to 'like' or need to comment negatively. Negativity only creates problems. This is supposed to be a fun and helpful site. There is no need to put anyone down.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    I through this would be a place I could find peace from my PTSD but I see not, conflict is the last thing I need .
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Okay Everything... Positive personality here... Just take a deep breath. Slowly exhale and brush any negativity off your shoulders.

I've received negativity also ..... several times. That's what I do. There are many commenters that look forward to your ideas.

It's a lot of work to post your renderings. I try with very simple drawings and that's not as easy as it appears either.

I for one, appreciate the free time and truly understand that rendering, architects, floor planning, landscapers, kitchen and bath designers, artists, interior designers and all those (excuse for missing anyone) that are in the design fields ... the process is not simple.
  • bgfuqua
    hace 9 años
    I appreciate hearing from the pros. there are a rare few that drive me nuts. the party with the wheeled bench puts the same speech on - even if it is not the right solution to the persons request..
  • PRO
    Monica Perrone Landscape Architecture
    hace 9 años
    kelli614: John Montgomery responded beautifully and appropriately to your initial inquiry. I agree with him completely. You need a competent, caring Landscape Architect who can help you to capitalize on the positive aspects of your property and help with editing. The designer should listen to you and be able to substantiate their recommendations, leaning heavily on a sound, bias-free design process in order to downplay constraints. Working with a design professional should add value to your home and garden spaces, reduce costly mistakes, and permit you to proceed with confidence. Working with a Landscape Architect will not necessarily make the built project more expensive. The response should be very specific to you and all of the conditions. Photos are great, but it is difficult to make recommendations without a detailed interview and site visit due to the multitude of variables. Plus, more needs to be learned about your priorities and preferences.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.