Houzz Logo Print
leamonzgirl

help me pick out granite please

Tara L
el último año

I had to change granite choices. Looking at these would you choose any of them? I don’t want to have to change the back splash and there is a pic of the floor tile as well.

Comentarios (51)

• anj_p
    el último año

Of those 4, number 4. Your backsplash is busy so busy granite would be no good. I might consider something even less busy. Possibly a different material.

• darbuka
    el último año

Your backsplash is the problem. Mosaics are too busy, and dated.

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Thanks for the feedback. I am not a fan of the backsplash either. 😩

I would prefer some type of off white subway tile.

Suggestions on backsplash??

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    el último año

I'd pick #4 granite and a white or gray crackle tile for the backsplash.

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Is it okay is my cabinets aren’t actual white? They are Benjamin moore’s white dove.

• PRO
    el último año

Well, the only way to tell is to get samples and view them together in your room with your light. And I think Ben Moore's White Dove is a lovely white!

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Thanks so much. It’s a bit warmer so I like it. The floor tile is on the warmer side also so I guess with that change I can find a warmer granite.

• wildflower5
    el último año

With your busy backsplash even #4 seems too busy. I'd go with a cleaner white quartz if possible.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

None. You DON'T want spend on a new top, to go with any backsplash. Let alone that one. : )

Go shopping for a top you love.....ignore the backsplash. Say good bye to it.

Show the whole kitchen. The cabinets, the floor. All of what you are doing.

• thinkdesignlive
    el último año

Yes show the floor and cabinets and you will get best responses.

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Unfortunately the floor isn’t done yet. It will be the tile you see in the pic in front of the samples

• Kendrah
    el último año

Sounds like you are ok with getting a new backsplash yes? And that you enjoy subway tiles? Concentrate on finding a counter that looks good with your floors and then select a subdude subway tile. If you are simply looking at granite alone, I would go for a less busy pick like #4.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    el último año

So IMO once the floor is in you then make sure all the lighting is LED 4000K that is my personal choice you could do3500K but the lighting is important before choosing anything else . ou then post a pic of the floor the whole kitchen with all the ;lightson. Post in a comment here do not start another post. IMO granite is a perfect choice for kitchen counters and there are so many to choose from.The backspalsh has to go and that will make this whole decision easier.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    el último año

If you can replace the backsplash I would suggest you do. That type of busy backsplash is dated and was never a good choice anyway.

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Seen a lot of nice backsplash. Is subway tile considered the rectangular tiles? I’ve also seen some elongated shape tiles as well as the curvy diamond shaped tiles. I’m not exactly sure what they are called. I have been looking. If I do that I think I want a simple white grout with it. I just hope that having a stock white subway tile will not look bad with the white love. Cabinets is not exactly a pure white.

• anj_p
    el último año

@Tara L you take samples home with you and look at how they are next to your cabinets. There are a zillion whites.

If you love those 4 granites then pick one of those, get it installed, and THEN pick out tile. If you pick a busy counter, keep your BS simple. If you were just trying to find something to match your backsplash, maybe pick a stone you love first. If you can, go to a stone yard to do it.

Easy enough to search white dove cabinets on houzz and see what they did with the BS. Both of these used a warm white backspalish (warmer than the cabinets).

KraftMaid: Maple Cabinetry in Dove White · Más información

Easton, Maryland - Traditional - Kitchen with Lake View · Más información

• lucky998877
    el último año

Don't rush the backsplash decision. Since you are now ok with changing it, rip the old one out! Then you have fresh eyes to choose your countertop with, one that goes with your cabinets and your planned flooring (take a piece of tile and a door with you to see a slab in person). Once installed, start bringing tile samples home to find what works with everything.

• Steph H
    el último año

I think the backsplash is fine. It’s neutral and tasteful. Why spend unnecessary money? I like #3 the best. After that #4.

• darbuka
    el último año

This is subway tile:

• kandrewspa
    el último año

Why are you changing the countertop at all? The picture doesn't show it well, but from what I can see it looks OK. Maybe just changing the backsplash would work. That's a lot less expensive than replacing countertops. Can you show us a picture of the existing countertop and the whole kitchen?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    el último año

I'd go with the least busy one with that mosaic tile. Number 4 would be my choice.

• thinkdesignlive
    el último año

If the floor sample is lined up in front of the granites then I also vote #4. If they miraculously don’t damage your backsplash when doing the counters then post again with a photo showing all including the new floor. You may wish to change the BS or not - hard to say at this point.

• PRO
    el último año

Regarding tile, what everyone calls "subway tile" is a 3 x 6 rectangle, usually in a plain white, installed in a running bond pattern. They are so-called because they were used in the NYC (and other metros) subway system back in the early 1900s.

Calling all rectangular tiles "subway" is really not a good description. There are lots of sizes of rectangles--4 x 8, 2 x 6, 2 x 8, 2 x 12, etc. They can come in all manner of colors and finishes--crackle, matte, polished. They can be machine or hand-made. They can have rectified (90 degree) edges or not. They are not strictly speaking subway tiles.

Then you have lots of shapes--squares, arabesques, penny rounds, fishtails--in all sizes and colors. So many to choose from. The best thing about tile backsplashes is that you usually don't need a lot of tile (unlike in a bathroom or shower) so you can use a more expensive tile but not break the bank.

I agree to select the counter top first, then go to a really good tile store (not a big box store) and get samples to bring home to see what works best in your room with your lighting. And speaking of lighting, you do NOT need to install 4000K LEDs, no matter what anyone tells you!

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Thanks everyone. I don’t want the room to look blue-ish. This is how our kitchen looked when the backsplash was being put in. The door is a very light gray. But I want to change it to the travertine in the picture which is warmer. Another reason I want wouldn’t mind getting rid of the cool back splash. Should everything be either warm OR cool?
    The countertops are laminate and that was just builder grade when the house was built.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    el último año

Remove that backsplash first as carefully as you can. Then the countertop. Then install new countertop. Go plain on countertop and add subtle pattern on backsplash blending by multi neutral colors on backsplash. Or plain tiles done in herringbone pattern with light gray grout.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    el último año

I used this recently on a home update and it is beautiful. With plain white quartz countertops. From TileBar. You can look at their site and get 3-4 samples to try out. Best to figure out backsplash now if you can. Hard to get materials these days.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    el último año

"the floor isn’t done yet."

Nobody has asked, so I will:

What is the flooring in the rest of the HOUSE?

• PRO
    AWARDA Architects
    el último año

#3 or 4 is best. I agree with above. The less busy counter provides a better contrast to the multicolor tile. The less busier the better. You'll notice the backsplash, it will stand out more.

• Jen g
    el último año

• PRO
    el último año

Rather than a travertine floor, I'd use a medium toned brown hardwood, either engineered or site-finished. You'd add a nice warmth to the space.

And no, you don't have to use all warm or all cool colors in a room. I don't know who decided that was a design "rule" but it's just not so.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    el último año

Exactly, Diana, so agree! Which is why I asked to flooring in the remainder of the house..........

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

The flooring in the rest of the house is the laminate planks. It’s a dark colored wood. Not very dark brown but it has a tinge of red to it. I’m not sure I wld like it in the kitchen though…

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    el último año

You'd love it in that kitchen, and It would free you from the counter/floor/cabinet/ issue, and MORE importantly ? Unify your home visually, and make it feel LARGER.

Count on it. Basically ? You call it a "neutral" add. Especially with BM White Dove. : ) thank me later lol. Have your back, your not cold bare feet, and anything you happen to drop, thank me later as well.

Just go find a top you love with your CABINETS. Done. Tada!!!

• RedRyder
    el último año

You are trying to match something you don’t love to the rest of your kitchen. That’s not a good idea and the backsplash is one of the LEAST expensive parts of a kitchen. Your current one is too dated to force new materials to match it.

Using the warm brown wood floor planks from the rest of the house is the right idea. One, it takes away the challenge of floor-countertop-backsplash matching because medium wood floors are neutral. Everything looks good with them. And you are creating a consistent visual throughout the house, which makes everything look better. And more cohesive.

Take off the existing backsplash. Shop countertops until you FALL IN LOVE. Then you come back here for help with a simple backsplash. That is the right sequence for you. Your initial question needs to be changed to “what should I do with my White Dove cabinets”? Lighting should not exceed 3000k because it then feels like a hospital.

White Dove is a great cabinet color. You have lots of options for the other two elements - countertop and backsplash.

• Steph H
    el último año

I agree with everything Flo said :)

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Thank you guys. Here are some pics with the brown flooring from our living area. I had some left overs.

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Also if I change to this flooring maybe the cabinets should be white instead in BM White Dove?…

• PRO
    el último año

Using that wood floor is a no-brainer! It looks great, and White Dove is a perfectly fine color for the cabinets. It's one of my favorite whites.

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Really? I was so worried about it looking cheap. I thought tile wld elevate the kitchen more …

• PRO
    el último año

It doesn't look cheap in the photo, but you are the best judge of how it looks in real life.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    el último año

That floor is a WHOLE lot better than that icy cold blue/gray, that much is certain!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    el último año

Wood look so much better. Plus, keeping flooring consistent helps the overall look too.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    el último año

Tara - do the wood! It brings warmth to your already pretty space. Plus, wood is more forgiving when things are dropped on it.

• RedRyder
    el último año

That’s a great wood floor. The color is rich and will look great with a white dove kitchen.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    el último año

Number 4 is very clean and will look great.

• Tara L
    Autor original
    el último año

Wow thanks everyone. I also checked out some granite today and I think I will go with colonial cream. I’m also going to check out some tile for the backsplash. Eva use in worried all the tile will be stark white.

Am I correct when saying the old back splash should be removed first, then new countertops put in, then new back splash put in?

• Barbara Almandarz
    el último año

I'd go with #4. You already have alot of movement in your backsplash, don't have your counters compete with it. All lovely choices, but keep in mind how busy your kitchen can get.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    el último año

Get rid of the splash, put the new tops in, the wood floor and WAIT until the tops are in to select a tile. It can't be installed until there ARE tops. No point to a rush.

Drag home the samples, stand them up.......select: )

• PRO
    el último año

What Jan said.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.