Houzz Logo Print
ellen_harrison27

how to make rental living room cosy

Ellen Harrison
el último año

We are moving in to an unfurnished rental house with a narrow lounge.

So no rugs curtains or furniture such as sofa/ coffee table purchased or found yet.

The laminate is cheap and I don’t really like the colour. Advice on how to cosify /warm up this end of the lounge? Hoping to put up a curtain pole .

Not sure best way to arrange furniture in the space. Would want our tv opposite a sofa . Electric fireplace on wall can’t be moved.

Unsure what colour rug / furniture to have on the laminate flooring.

Comentarios (17)

• kazzh
    el último año

I would think about a large (LARGE!) jute or sisal rug for your lounge area to cover the floor and maybe extend beyond your seating area and continue with an oatmeal/linen material in your seating.

• Sonia
    el último año

You are looking at an empty room so it can be daunting, but sofas, tables and a lovely big rug will make it cosier. Standard lamps to light up corners will also make it warmer. The room is pretty neutral so lots of colours will go, but I agree soft neutrals like cream and taupe will look nice, but if you want more colour you could try navy or tan leather sofas. Depends on your budget.

• Ellen Harrison
    Autor original
    el último año

Thank you both so much for these points :) we can go high on budget if I am envisioned enough /convinced and can convince partner a more expensive large rug worth it investing for future . Like the idea of the lamp.

Part of my issue is where best to place the sofa/tv in the narrow space .

We are considering this second hand sofa as only renting for now . And local made coffee table. But I’m tempted to go all out on a new high end sofa . This geeen one you can’t nestle back into too much .

• kazzh
    el último año

A suggestion that i was given once was to see if carpet stores had any offcuts from jobs that they could hem and sell to you for a reduced price. Might be worth exploring?

• kazzh
    el último año

Am also seeing in the back ground of your sofa pic an oatmeal sofa ( with the blue cushions), was that a viable option?

• Ellen Harrison
    Autor original
    el último año

Good idea re carpet, thank you.
    I am not sure an oatmeal sofa will work with our level of clumsiness re any spills. The second hand one in that photo when zoomed in on my original shows up a large stain already .

• Sonia
    el último año

Rugs don’t have to be expensive. Of course an oriental rug can cost thousands, but a polypropylene rug can be a good alternative and look very authentic. Jute rugs are also well priced. Look at Next or Dunelm.

• PRO
    Home & Decor Hub
    el último año

Hi, is it sunny side or north part, please? It’s important to take into account

• Wumi
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

Dark blue - Tall freestanding media unit.

Light blue - low sideboard/ record cabinet.

Purple - Occasional chair

Red - Side tables

Green - 2/3 seater

Pink -dining table

Yellow - floor lamp

You can install some coat hooks, a clothes rail and shoe storage behind the media unit and use it as cloak area.

Facebook Marketplace and EBay are great for finding second hand furniture. I will sometimes look at the brand new stuff I want and then search for the same model/brand second hand!

• Ellen Harrison
    Autor original
    el último año

The boxy bay window is south. Sun shines inyo lounge in the morning through it . The double doors other end are north .

• Ellen Harrison
    Autor original
    el último año

Wumi, thank you so much for your careful work and suggestions ! I do agree a long media unit or sideboard would be good .

Katie I love this, lights, plants, lots of plants!! I think maximum cosifying will be great. I used to work at the Holbein company curtain poles (I recommend to designers here) so might get a deal on a beautiful pole too . Would love some thick curtains , to the floor .

• Ellen Harrison
    Autor original
    el último año

I was wondering about layering rugs over a jute too!

• jillyhilltop
    el último año

For jute rugs I've found IKEAs Lohals jute rug pretty unbeatable. 200cm x 300cm (8'x10'approx) £140 plus delivery if needed. Heavy weight, lovely light colour and texture. Very easy to vacuum. If you want a change as time goes on you haven't spent a fortune.

• PRO
    User
    el último año

A tall, colourful standard lamp would look great in that far right corner. Re the rug, just make sure it has a non-slip backing - as some of my friends learned the hard way.

• PRO
    The Living House
    el último año

Hi Ellen Harrison, as your living room is rectangular and long we recommending zoning the room using rugs and furniture to do this. You may find our blog helpful which is all about this, here is the link - https://www.thelivinghouse.co.uk/blog-interior-design-tips/how-to-design-your-rectangular-living-room

If you would like any guidance and help with your living room, we are an affordable online interior design company offering expert advice with affordable packages. Heres the link to our website if you would like to take a look - https://www.thelivinghouse.co.uk/

You may also find our Facebook group community helpful, its another place to ask questions and gain free advice from like minded interior lovers and us as experts! Here is the link if you would like to join - https://www.facebook.com/groups/interiorhomedesignadviceandsupportuk

• Ellen Harrison
    Autor original
    el último año

Thanks, the living house, great blog !

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.