Houzz Logo Print
sohani_sanon

help with fireplace not in the middle of the chimney breast.

Sohani Sanon
el último año

Just noticed the fireplace is not in the middle of the chimney breast. There was an chest of IKEA drawers when we bought the house. Really tight on budget so we’re thinking of plastering and making it a book shelf- this is girls bedroom.

I don’t think I want to create a bigger hole to make it even as I am not sure how to do this.

Any ideas?

Comentarios (14)

• Sonia
    el último año

I think that’s a great idea. We boarded up the fireplaces in our bedrooms after removing the hideous 1930s fire surrounds. We did put in air vents but I’m not sure if that’s a legal requirement?

• carocat24
    el último año

Why does it have to be symmetrical?

• PRO
    Den Life Interiors
    el último año

It might be nice to run a shelf like a mantle from the right edge of the fireplace all the way out to the left. If you try it out with some tape to see you could get a nice balanced look. It would make a feature of it then without hiding it away. Cost effective too. Then plaster the inside and can be storage with a toy basket that can be dragged in and out. Maybe even paint it a fun different colour to the rest of the wall.

• Susy Q
    el último año

Knock the walls to see if it’s been extended- one of ours isn’t in the middle and it’s because the heating pipes run upstairs along it and it’s been boxed in to look like the fireplace

• Ted
    el último año

If you don't want to increase the size of the opening then making it smaller is a simpler job, or block it up all together with some wood and plaster board then easyfill the edges

• User
    el último año

Looks like the hole was enlarged at some point, so should be a fairly simple job to make it smaller again.

• PRO
    Organise Space
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

I agree with Suzy Q, you could also chisel some plaster off around the left and corner to see where the lintel goes to. It could have been extended / modified on the inside left OR the outside. Ours are asymmetrical but the differences are more dramatic so its looks deliberate, this looks like an after thought.

• PRO
    Organise Space
    el último año

HU-29309451 almost certainly right - it looked a bit to small to me though?

• siobhanmcgee90
    el último año

I would think that the flue for the downstairs fireplace is likely to be directly behind rather than to the side of the opening but the flue for both likely joins above this one.

• tim_baker921
    el último año

If you are up for some graft, a little cash and a lot of mess put a new concrete lintel higher up then remove the bricks below. Line with plasterboard, foil backed to prevent staining, and you have a useful storage alcove where you can add shelves etc. Who really wants a redundant fireplace in a bedroom?

• PRO
    Cocoona Designs
    el último año

I dont think an off centre fireplace looks all that bad……too much symetry can be boring and asymetry creates interest.

Think about how you need the room to function, eg where will the bed go, wardrobes etc may add some built in storage to the right to waist level with shelves above and use the oddness of the chimn breast to display some quirky.

Sarah x

• PRO
    Cocoona Designs
    el último año

ForForgot to add this picture just to demonstrate how asymetric works so well…

• É Cunnanie
    el último año

If this is a terraced Victorian or early Edwardian house, what you’re seeing is pretty typical - as someone else has pointed out above, the reason this fireplace looks off centre is almost certainly that the flue for the fireplace in the room below it runs to the left. If you’re using the fireplace below, do NOT knock into this one just to see what’s there - you could end up cracking the lining and causing smoke to come through. If you’re not using the fireplace below, you have much more options: the cheapest is to close off the right of the fireplace so that the remaining gap is centred; you could also fit a load bearing lintel and extend to the left. I’m with Cacoona though - asymmetry can be a nice feature

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.