Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Butcher block confusion!

Kendrah
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

Today our cabinet maker delivered and installed our Boos walnut butcher block countertop and I just knocked on it and it sounds like a hollow core door!

I thought butcher block was solid wood - we paid $3,000, which seems more in line with what a solid wood costs. I've had a butcher block top before and it felt much heftier than this. The only thing I've ever heard that is wood and sounds like this is a cheap hollow core door.

It came with Boos paperwork and a little Boos gold triangle insignia that was not attached but just in a bag with the paperwork.

What gives? Any thoughts about this?

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 2 años

call Boos, ask questions.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    hace 2 años

Look underneath the overhang/ if the grain continues underneath it’s not hollow.

• kculbers
    hace 2 años

The countertop looks beautiful! I agree to contact Boos.

• Stacey
    hace 2 años

Did the cabinet maker include the receipt from Boos?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    hace 2 años

Looks solid to me...you can see the joint lines clearly. yes, look underneath.

• Fori
    hace 2 años

Has it been attached? Mine sounded hollow until I put my heavyweight mixer on it.

• lisaam
    hace 2 años

The end sections seem to line up with the horizontal pieces so it looks like solid construction.

• PRO
    Excellent Blinds & Shutters
    hace 2 años

The hollow sound is probably the resonance from the cabinet underneath. It's common in fixtures like this. Pro tip: Hold your palm underneath the board of the overhang, then knock on the topside, you should hear a significant difference.

• Kendrah
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks all for your great suggestions and insights. I called Boos, they looked up our order and confirmed that they did in fact make the top and that they only do solid pieces - nothing hollow. I realized from some of your comments that the structure under this counter is different from that which was under my previous wood top and could account for the difference in sound. Thanks all for brainstorming. I'm putting this to rest! If only all of my kitchen issues could be so easily solved on Houzz!

• PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    hace 2 años

Looks good here.

• User
    hace 2 años

Sooo pretty!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.