Houzz Logo Print
webuser_746952194

Advice needed on painting over peeling paint please?

Jimmy Sullivan
hace 2 años

Hi all, first time poster here. Please be kind :-)

I recently moved into a new property and I want to paint a single wall in my room. While plugging some holes left by the previous owner the old paint is peeling off in large pieces.

Not sure on next steps. Do I peel all the old paint off? Do i sand it down and paint over, hoping for the best?

Thank you for reading.

Comentarios (5)

• Daisy England
    hace 2 años

I would want to know why the paint has peeled off in such a large area initially. Is there damp behind it?

Jimmy Sullivan agradeció a Daisy England
  • Jimmy Sullivan
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hi Daisy, thank you for answering :-)

The wall doesn’t ’feel’ damp, but the apartment has other areas of damp throughout so it’s likely damp there too.

• Daisy England
    hace 2 años

If it the damp that’s causing it that’ll need addressing first because it will only happen again.

Jimmy Sullivan agradeció a Daisy England
  • Jimmy Sullivan
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

addressing the damp is how big of a job? assuming that it’s a tough one, or can i buy a pot of stuff to paint the wall with first, kid of to seal it?

• PRO
    Novitas Decorators Ltd
    hace 2 años

Walls were not misted. Plastered walls should have a thinned coat of paint over them first to help seal the plaster. Then apply paint normally over the top. You'll have to keep going with removing the top coat untill it stops travelling/peeling to a firm enough edge. You can use Zinnser Peelstop to seal the wall or Zinnser Gardz to seal it as well. Once dried fill the edges of the paint with filler, sand down, touch up the filler with paint and let it dry. Then recoat the wall as normal. Decorating as all about preparation and this is a typical example of poor preparation, easily fixed.

Jimmy Sullivan agradeció a Novitas Decorators Ltd
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.