Houzz Logo Print
hopej1960

what colour paint for stairway walls?

Janice Hope
hace 2 años

Hi everyone. I’m looking for help in choosing a paint wall colour to tie in with this Adams Panache carpet.
Apart from the window in the front door at the bottom of the stairs and light coming from open bedroom doors at the top there’s no natural light.
Should I go light to brighten the area as best I can or bite the bullet and go for a dark, rich colour?
My decorator starts in the next couple of weeks and I’m fed up trying paint samples and nothing looking right.
Any help to steer me in the right direction would be fantastic. Thanks.

Comentarios (13)

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

I would go for a mid value (not too light, nor too dark) colour that picks out the sand colour (bottom sample). Something with some colour and warmth but no too dark nor too cool. I like the bottom sample best.

• Janice Hope
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you. That’s my favourite version too. Are you able to recommend any particular paint colour/make so that I can try a sample. Also would matt or silk be the best option?

• Janice Hope
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Fo you mean like Farrow & Ball Sudbury Yellow (51)?

• Janice Hope
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Or Dulux Egyptian Cotton?

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 2 años

You could try something like LIttle Greene Clay 39 or F&B Stony Gorund 211. I would start with those and then see if you need to go more colourful. My expereience is that if you need a 'colour' it can be too easy to go too far to start with. Once a colour is all over the walls and in the corners it often look more colourful than on the paint chart.

• Sonia
    hace 2 años

I would go for something lighter. I’ve got a colourful stripy carpet and painted the walls Pigeon by F&B and I hate it. It’s just too dark as my stairs have little natural light. Big mistake!

• Janice Hope
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks to both of you. I’ll have a look at your suggestions. Very useful to see a similar stairwell with stripy carpet.
    As you say it’s very hard choosing a colour, or pattern for that matter, from very small sample sizes. That’s why I struggle and I’d hate to make an expensive mistake!

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 2 años

Oh that's a shame Sonia, Pigeon is a tricky colour. It can as you say look quite dark. what will you do?

• Sonia
    hace 2 años

colourhappy I paid a decorator so maybe in the summer I’ll get it repainted. Haven’t told the OH yet 😂

• siobhanmcgee90
    hace 2 años

Agree on the really generous advice from both colourhappy & Sonia.

• PRO
    Novitas Decorators Ltd
    hace 2 años

Did you paint the samples on the walls? My suggestion as a decorator would be to paint onto larger sections of lining paper (with 2 coats) and move this around. In my experience most clients paint a small brushful of paint in the same area next to the other sames of paint directly on the wall and them are comparing these with just one coat of paint. BTW if anyone reads this, please help your decorator out by NOT doing this to the walls of painting samples directly onto them. Use lining paper instead.

• Janice Hope
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Top tip! Thanks for your advice.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 2 años

Totally agree with above comment. Painting right to the edge of good quality stiff card and taping them to walls, especially the dark corners. Never onto walls.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.